Big freeze expected to hit the UK

Icy winds heading for the UK will make temperatures feel "sub zero" as the coldest winter in 13 years continues.

Snowstorms from Russia are expected to hit the eastern part of England on Sunday night.

Night-time temperatures are set to drop to -2C (28F) as a blast of cold air sweeps in from the North Sea.

Bitterly cold easterly winds will cause snow to drift, with forecasters predicting that 5cm to 10cm will fall over many parts of England and Wales.

Snow showers are likely to be less widespread in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

On Saturday, winds began gusting at up to 70mph over the hills of northern Britain and snow could fall as deep as 20cm over high ground in the coming days.

The first wintry showers are expected on Sunday night and they are likely to become much more widespread by Monday.

was just reading that on the beeb.

Almost sounds exciting.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

beebeesee

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
beebeesee

Lol
thanks bumble bee

aaww
i HATE cold weather
guess ill just have to put the heating up full blast and wear about 10 extra layers

SMILE! its charity Wink

The falling white stuff outside looks good enough to snort.

You wrote:
The falling white stuff outside looks good enough to snort.

Yay! i know, but its not that heavy over here it is supposed to be heavier during the night. inshallah it will be! Smile

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

If the weather has been predicted correctly then it will be snowing here tomorrow. I dont know if I want snow, it looks pretty but means you have to put up with the cold.hmmm

This time of the year its cold anyway.

Question is do you want it to be cold and not snowy or cold and snowy.

I prefer the snow. as long as it melts away before turning to ice.

It is absolutely freezing cold!
BUT its snowing!!! Biggrin
and theres snow on my window,so i cant see anything outside Biggrin
and and its snowing!
i hope it lasts! Biggrin

Well you know what this means don't you! Wink

SNOWBALL FIGHT!!! Lol

and making my own personal snowman outside! Biggrin

Who is the cat of the Forum? MEZ!
Your damn right!

I dont think its actually stopped snowing at all today.

Bloody brilliant Biggrin

Back in BLACK

Hope It gets better tomorrow cause I need to hand in an assignment and will have to get to uni even if the snow kills me! Fool

Who is the cat of the Forum? MEZ!
Your damn right!

Seraphim wrote:

Bloody brilliant Biggrin

Yes it is.

I went out and only fell once. I doubt we have had as good a snowfall in like a decade or so!

Subhanallh! its been snowing all day non-stop!!!! Smile Smile Smile

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

I havent had a good snowball fight in time!!!!! and got half day at school.!! I LOVE SNOW! Biggrin

You wrote:
Seraphim wrote:

Bloody brilliant Biggrin

Yes it is.

I went out and only fell once. I doubt we have had as good a snowfall in like a decade or so!

18 years.

And I'm missing it all!

(oh well, I can still remember when I was 5, and school was cancelled so we all went to the park).

Don't just do something! Stand there.

This may make you jealous, but that does not like all that much... right outside my window is a (telephone?) wire goping across and even that has over an ince of snow resting on it!

Your area looks POSH and NICE!!

Do you realise those pictures were taken in 2006???

Stupid snow

I cant get to uni

so im stuck at home all week!

1R4M wrote:

so im stuck at home all week!

your making it sound like a bad thing. Enjoy not working!

Ya'qub may actually get his wish:

Snow Britain: Another 10 inches of snow to hit by Thursday

More deep snow is forecast to blanket the country on Thursday, prompting fears that the country could be brought to a second standstill.

The Met Office has issued a severe weather advisory, warning that as much as 25 centimetres (10 inches) of snow could build up in some areas.

The latest covering is expected as a warm front of air from France clashes over Britain with cold air coming in from the North.

The forecast brings with it renewed concern for the state of the country's roads and railways, which shut down on Monday as the most snow in 20 years fell, costing already struggling businesses millions of pounds in lost hours as more than six million people stayed at home...

read more @

Yay!

\o/

I'll be running around like a grinning idiot while everyone else'll be like 'this is SOO old, now.'

If angels descend to the earth in rain, what happens with snow? I don't think there are many ahadith regarding snow, cos it doesn't often happen in Saudi.

Ooh those pics are nice, snow is just soooo picturesque. When freshly fallen.

We had quite a lot of snow all day yesterday, nearly as much as Oldham it seems, but there's hardly any trace of it today! But it really is quite freezing outside. Very very cold.

Looking forward to thursday now. Smile

Lol
I love that picture.
the four musketeers and pink baby.

Lol

Bad luck Ya'qub:

UK faces further snow disruption

Parts of the UK face more disruption due to snow, but forecasters said it would not be as serious as recent days.

More heavy falls are forecast in central and northern Scotland, with snow also due in the West Country, the Midlands and parts of Wales.

But London and south-east England are expected to escape further heavy snow, days after road networks and the transport system were badly affected...

Read more @

Where does road salt come from?

With heavy snow falls all week, supplies of the rock salt are running low. Where does the salt scattered by gritters come from? Forget all those notions about political dissidents with pickaxes.

De-icing or gritting salt is nothing like the white grains we use to season food. Made from crushed rock salt carved out of underground mines, it is brownish in colour and resembles gravel.

The salt used to melt ice and add traction on the UK's snow-covered byways comes not from the sea but from three main mines - the Salt Union's Winsford Rock Salt Mine in Cheshire, Cleveland Potash in Teesside and the Irish Salt Mining and Exploration Company in County Antrim.

Read more @

Pages