My Personal Jihad

Salaams!

So people think fighting in wars and killing innocent people in the name of Allah (swt) is jihad. Well the former could be but the latter definately is not.

Anyway i feel one my personal jihad sort of is waking up in the morning to read Fajr on the weekends! lol. its so hard, there i am in my cosy bed and theres my mum trying to wake me up. Then theres the debate going on my head! "i should stay in bed, it so cold outside, i can't be bothered" on the other hard "No i have to ignore shaitan :evil: i have to get up Now. im glad my heart only tells me ONE thing thankfully Smile so today alhamdulilah i managed to follow my heart and ignore the devil! Inshallah i will always be able to do this!

so people whats your personal jihad?

I have so many weaknesses. Are they all my personal jihads? But the main ones are:
* The praying on time thing.
* I need to focus on religion. That is a priority before anything else. But I don't.

when i read the topic again to myself i thought "im so stupid!" but im not going to delete this as people are probably used to my stupid topics anyway! o well!

Anyway i dont think your weakness' can be a jihad but if try to make them weakness' into your strengths then i think it can be called Jihad. i think like this because i saw it used here i dnt know how to put it? i saw it used lightly? i dunno. i dnt think it even makes sense in this case but anyway when i saw it here it made me think of the actual meaning of the word "jihad" - struggle for Allah. To me that means anything u struggle to do for Allah. Maybe my example was me being a bit OTT but i have always thought of Jihad in the terms of war and dying of Allah but now i dont so i thought this kind of is Jihad. you get what i mean?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Yeah you got it right. Basically there is two types of jihad.
1. Greater Jihad-Fighting temptations
2.Lesser Jihad- Fighting to defend islam.

Thats how i got taught so basically im doing jihad!:D Biggrin

Thanks Yasmin! Smile

and Btw luv ur avatar! very eye-catching Smile

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

er, thanks you lot. I knew what Jihad was already, i used the word weakness a bit vaguely up there, so sorry for the confusion.

ye i know what u meant. but i thought my actual i=comment sounded a bit silly like "reading salah is jihad for u?!" so i was trying to explain myself

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
Anyway i feel one my personal jihad sort of is waking up in the morning to read Fajr on the weekends!

Have you tried sleeping on the floor?

MuslimBro wrote:

has that worked for you?

MuslimBro wrote:
Anyway i feel one my personal jihad sort of is waking up in the morning to read Fajr on the weekends!

yes (does a sleeping in a sleeping bag count as "on the floor"?) lol
if i slept on the floor i wouldnt be able to go to sleep at all i want to be able to go tos sleep and wake up not lose all my beauty sleep Blum 3

s.b.f wrote:
MuslimBro wrote:

has that worked for you?

In my experience it is easier to wake up.

Does it give you a back ache?

Is it wise to do so with the UK weather conditions? (I may be talking baloney but I suspect it to cause more problems in the UK winter than in the middle east?)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

It's easier to sleep on the floor in summer than in winter. I don't sleep on the floor in winter, partly because my mum doesn't approve of it.

I'm used to being on the floor. I sit on the floor all the time.

MuslimBro wrote:
It's easier to sleep on the floor in summer than in winter. I don't sleep on the floor in winter, partly because my mum doesn't approve of it.

I know!

Masha'Allah.

Keeps you humble, unless it becomes a 'badge of honour', in which case it could in fact do the opposite, and make you feel you are 'better' than people who sit in chairs or sleep in beds.

So BE CARFEFUL, grasshopper!

Don't just do something! Stand there.

MuslimBro wrote:

ye i like sitting on the floor too but i wouldnt be able to sleep on the floor Sad

i tried sleeping on the floor once
i ended up with a back ache that lasted the whole week
but it could be more comfertable if you have a carpet
rather than a hard cold wooden floor

Ya'qub wrote:
Keeps you humble,

I don't get this at all. its all about comfort and not about humility.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:
Keeps you humble,

I don't get this at all. its all about comfort and not about humility.

That's the problem with some people. The bed is too comfortable so they are unable to pray fajr on time.

Some scholars even discourage sleeping on mattresses which are too thick for this reason.

But if you sleep on a thick mattress and are able to wake up for fajr then Alhamdulillah.

Orthopedic mattress is a half-way house? Wink

We need to keep check on vices such as arrogance and pride because they're easy to fall into, and can creep on you when you're not looking. Sitting or sleeping on the floor can keep you in check and help you remain focused.

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

Amal wrote:
We need to keep check on vices such as arrogance and pride because they're easy to fall into, and can creep on you when you're not looking. Sitting or sleeping on the floor can keep you in check and help you remain focused.

I disagree with this bit.

Yes, it can be good to sit on the floor. It may help you get up for fajr too and make you not sleep too much.

However, it is not a cure for humility as it is an active act. "Hey, I am sitting on the floor. That is to show how humble I am!"

Sit on the floor if you want to. sleep on it too. and if your intentions are correct, you may even get rewarded for following a sunnah, but IMO it will not help in regards to humility.

That game is all about the mind.

:roll:

so people whats your personal jihad?

or do people not wana discuss this? :neutral: :S

It's much easier to discuss yours and go off topic!

My personal Jihad... Jihads would be more appropriate.

I got many failings. Most of them I actually like. So is it a jihad not trying to improve on them?

erm... getting a job and staying motivated through the search would be my jihad. I think.

You wrote:
It's much easier to discuss yours and go off topic!

:roll: ye i've realised! :x it wasnt a blog u know! lol and the whole sleeping on the floor/ matteress thing discussion should be finished now! lol

You wrote:
I got many fialings.
what does that mean? :S

You wrote:
erm... getting a job and staying motivated through the search would be my jihad. I think.

erm can i ask how thats a struggle for Allah(swt)?

Halaal food?

Working, earning money in a halaal manner is something that is encouraged in our religion.

(and it was supposed to be "failings" nor fialings.)

achaa i get ya! Smile

I am scared of sleeping on the floor coz of spiders etc (not that I have come acrooss any in my room alhumdulillah).

Having said that I have slept on the floor countless times, sometimes in grans house when too many ppl are over, at islamic camps (although the recent ones have had beds) but its not bad but sometimes I get scared of spiders, if I forget about them I quite enjoy sleeping on the floor. I actually think it helps your back!

Angelic wrote:
I am scared of sleeping on the floor coz of spiders...

Don't you think they can crawl up on your bed?

You'll be surprised to know the number of spiders an average person eats whilst sleeping in their lifetime.... so if you wake up and it tastes of... I dunno, you know what it was.

Way to go giving her insomnia!

Pure evil MB pure evil!

thats disgusting, ewww, thanks for the info :roll:

This is a good topic.

I think everyone's personal jihad is to be a better Muslim.

The difference is on exactly each of us needs to do that.

I can list many many inner jihads/things which I am aware of that I need to do to in order to help myself on that path. In fact it's a huuuuuuge list. Some stuff relates to actually learning how to do that, ie learning more about Islam, and then the rest is on putting that in practice. Some of it is pretty obvious common stuff and then other things a little more personal related to what I perceive as particular weaknesses. Regardless, there are many things. Some I mentioned in my New Years Resolutions post, some more personal.

What I love about Islam though is that as an individual there is always room for improvement, every single one of us can strive to better ourselves. Islam doesn't allow for complacency or big headedness and I really like that.

Pages