Wine Vinegar in Sandwiches/Salads - Haraam?

Salaam

This issue may affect a few people who come on this website, although they may not know about it. I have noticed in the ingredients of many pre-packed sandwiches and salads (which have an ingredients label on them) that some contain WHITE WINE VINEGAR and RED WINE VINEGAR, as well as SPIRIT vinegar.

Are these haraam because it is/derived from wine, or is it permissable because it is vinegar? I do remember a Hadith of the Prophet(saw) about alcohol: "Whatever intoxicates in greater quantity is forbidden even in smaller quantity".

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I heard it was wrong to have vinegar itself. But I'm not exactly sure.

Vinegar is sunnah.

Wine vinegar is vinegar.

Nothing wrong with it at all.

Further, vinegar can be classed as soured/gone off wine. It's all chemistry.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Vinegar is sunnah.

Wine vinegar is vinegar.

Thanks for clarifying that.

You wrote:
Vinegar is sunnah.

Wine vinegar is vinegar.

Lol, are you sure? That's good news if it is, means I don't have to give up those tasty sarnies. How is vinegar Sunnah?

Is there any alcohol in vinegar at all?

Thanks for the info by the way!!

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

Allahuakbar wrote:

Is there any alcohol in vinegar at all?

There is alcohol in bread, and most fruit too!

But it's halal cos it occurs naturally.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

vinegar in alcohol will turn the whole thing into vinegar.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

A couple of alternative views on white wine vinegar:

They disagree...

According to one of the questions in the first link:

By and large, dear questioner, it’s clear from the above-mentioned statements and quotations that so long as vinegar originates from wine directly, without the aid of any additives, it is lawful according to the unanimous view of scholars. As for the vinegar that originates from wine through human interference, it’s somehow controversial among scholars, as you can see.

Thanks man!

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

I love vinegar. I slosh it on anything. sherry vinegar is really nice in salads.

*dirol*''Biggy'*dirol*

yup.

Organic chemistry.

Why? You shouldn't randomly click on the page.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

The Lamp wrote:
Why? You shouldn't randomly click on the page.

Why not? I did. What are you afraid of?

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

big bro wrote:
I love vinegar.

Me too! I like drowning my chips in vinegar!:D

sbf wrote:
big bro wrote:
I love vinegar.

Me too! I like drowning my chips in vinegar!:D

True very true. Chips only taste better when soaked in vinegar.

*dirol*''Biggy'*dirol*

From this :

Jabir narrated, "The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, took me one day with him to his house. He was served some bread. He asked: 'Is there any dip?' They replied 'No, only some vinegar.' He said, 'Vinegar is a good dip.'

and

Jabir used to say, "I have loved vinegar since I heard it from Allah’s Prophet". And Talhah ibn Naf'a said, "I have loved vinegar since I heard it from Jabir."
[Muslim, Abu Dawud, Nasa’i]