'Polite' Britons died on Titanic

In my quest against selflessness, I find this tale of woe:

'Polite' Britons died on Titanic

More British passengers died on the Titanic because they queued politely for lifeboats, researchers believe.

A behavioural economist says data suggests Britons in that era were more inclined to be "gentlemanly" while Americans were more "individualist".

Women with children had a 70% better chance of survival than men in such an environment, he told the BBC.

The Titanic sank during its maiden voyage in 1912 after hitting an iceberg, with the loss of 1,500 lives.

David Savage, from Queenland University of Technology, studied the disaster to look at how people react in life and death situations.

He said that in testimonies from inquiries in America and Britain just after the event, there were a lot of statements from women saying their husbands put them on lifeboats...

Read more @ .

Aren't people who die because of drowning given the status of Shaheed (martyr)?

And isn't being selfish going to lead to hell?

Selfishness: dunya success, akhira maybe-not.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

They say manners maketh man but standing back could cost you your life.

During the sinking of the Titanic, Britons had less chance of surviving than the brasher Americans because of their stiff upper lip, according to research.

While most British passengers stood back for women and children, Americans managed to get to the lifeboats.
Experts studied four maritime disasters of the 20th century, including the sinking of the Titanic and Lusitania, to see how people reacted in life-threatening situations.

The Titanic sank in 1912, with the loss of 1,517 people, and the Lusitania in 1915, with the loss of 1,198.

Using the key concepts of economics and self-interest, they wanted to see whether people reverted to a 'survival of the fittest' mentality.

'It seems on the Titanic the social norm of “women and children first” was followed as more women than men survived,' said David Savage at the Queensland University of Technology.

The study suggests some Britons gave up their spots because the Americans did not understand ideals of common courtesy.

'Those who let others on to lifeboats knowing they faced certain death acted out of something other than self-interest,' Mr Savage said.

However, the report concluded: 'People also take advantage of their relative situation, as can be seen by the higher survival rate of crew and first and second-class passengers.'

PS. I know the metro isnt as reliable.

Courageous death or Coward's life?
Option A for me.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Ya'qub wrote:
Aren't people who die because of drowning given the status of Shaheed (martyr)?

And isn't being selfish going to lead to hell?

Selfishness: dunya success, akhira maybe-not.

I've never heard of that one before......is there any evidence for it????

and would it count for the non muslims who died in the titanic??

Imagine if the titanic was full of some pakistanis, then what!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would they have queued........i doubt it!!!!! They would not know how to !!

and the problem with that is?

I think it is foolish to dismiss everything just because of who says it. Take everything on its own merit.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.