Kosovo's poisoned generation

Kosovo's poisoned generation

A small child is sweeping the yard outside her home - anywhere else the scene would be touching - but here in the Cesmin Lug refugee camp in northern Kosovo, it is tragic.

The children are sick with lead poisoning.

The camps were built close to the Trepca lead mine and smelting works.

The factory was closed by order of the UN administration in Kosovo, in 2000. But the slag heaps were never cleaned up.

The lead blackens the children's teeth, blanks out their memory, and stunts their growth.

The children swing between bursts of nervous hyperactivity, and something like a coma. Some have epileptic fits.

"Every child conceived in these camps will be born with irreversible brain damage," says Paul Polanski, a US human rights activist based in Nis, Serbia.

"Everyone talks about resettlement, but that's not the problem, the problem is medical treatment." ...

Read more @

wednesday wrote:
We all fall down.

That's right, we all do.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

BD Brother wrote:

the oppressors will get their dues, that's for sure

Breathe.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

wednesday wrote:

How many times does a person fall?

How many times is not important. What's important is how we deal with it.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Your wisdom eclipses mine, please explain. :?

Dawud wrote:
Your wisdom eclipses mine, please explain. :?

she means the more you fall the more impact it has on your confidence and getting back up will be more harder and may want to give up
i think

SMILE! its charity Wink

Oh.

I meant, its not important to focus on falling. What's important is that, when you fall, you get back up, dust yourself down and move on.