Ashura - Don't forget to fast! (Tuesday 6th & Wednesday 7th)

Muharram

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "The year is 12 months of which four are sacred, the three consecutive months of Dhu'l-Qa'dah, Dhu'l-Hijjah and Muharram, and Rajab which comes between Jumada and Sha'ban." (Al-Bukhari, 2958)

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: "The best of fasting after Ramadan is fasting Allah's month of Muharram." (Sahih Muslim)

Fasting on 'Ashoura

Ibn Abbas said: "The Prophet (peace be upon him) came to Madina and saw the Jews fasting on the day of 'Ashoura. When he asked them about it, they said, 'This is a blessed day, it is the day when Allah saved the Children of Israel from their enemies, so Musa (peace be upon him) fasted on this day.' The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, 'We have more right to Musa (peace be upon him) than you,' so he fasted on that day and commanded (the Muslims) to fast on that day." (Al-Bukhari)

Fasting on the day of 'Ashoura was earlier obligatory, but when fasting Ramadan was made obligatory, the obligation to fast 'Ashoura was cancelled, i.e., it was no longer obligatory to fast on this day, but it is still recommended.

Virtues of fasting 'Ashoura

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "For fasting the day of 'Ashoura, I hope that Allah will accept it as expiation for the year that went before." (Sahih Muslim)

This is from the bounty of Allah towards us. By fasting one day, He expiates our sins for the whole year. And Allah is the Owner of Great Bounty.

Fasting the ninth and tenth

Abdullah Ibn Abbas said: "When the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) fasted on 'Ashoura and commanded the Muslims to fast as well, they said, 'O Messenger of Allah, it is a day that is venerated by the Jews and Christians.' The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, 'If I live to see the next year, Insha Allah, we will fast on the ninth day too.' But it so happened that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) passed away before the next year came." (Sahih Muslim)

Al-Shafi'i and his companions, Ahmad, Ishaq and others said: "It is Mustahab (recommended) to fast on both days, ninth and tenth, because the Prophet (peace be upon him) fasted on the tenth, and intended to fast on the ninth."

Tuesday 6th January = 9th of Muharram
Wednesday 7th January = 10th of Muharram/Ashura

Can someone make this sticky please.

Shukran.

_LoLy_ wrote:
Noor wrote:
Can someone make this sticky please.

make this sticky?i don't understand.. :?

Pin it to the top of the forum board permanently.

Quote:

Noor wrote:
Shukran.

it means "thank you"?

[/quote]
Yes it does mean thank you (in Arabic).

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Muharram 1430AH

Quote:
Significance of Fasting in Muharram.

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "The best of fasting after Ramadan is fasting Allah' month of Muharram." (Reported by Muslim).

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Fasting the day of `Ashura' (is of great merits), I hope that Allah will accept it as an expiation for (the sins committed in) the previous year” (Muslim).

Also, fasting the 9th of Muharram is highly recommended by the Sunnah. Imam At-Tirmidhi reported that Ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them both) used to say: We should fast on two days: the 9th and 10th of Muharram to distinguish ourselves from the Jewish community. (At-Tirmidhi)

Abu Hurayrah reported: "I asked the Prophet: 'Which Prayer is the best after the obligatory Prayers?' He said: 'Prayer during the mid of the night.' I asked: 'Which fasting is the best after that of Ramadan?' He said, 'The month of Allah that you call Muharram’" (Ahmad, Muslim, and Abu Dawud).

Mu`awiyyah ibn Abi Sufyan (RA) reported that he heard the Messenger of Allah say: "Concerning the day of `Ashura’, it is not obligatory upon you to fast on it as I do. Whoever wishes may fast and whoever does not wish to is not obliged to do so" (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

Question: Is the fast of the ninth and tenth of Muharram recommended?

Answer: The fast of the day of 'Aashura (tenth day of Muharram) is recommended, as its excellence has been mentioned in (a number of) Ahadith. From them, is the saying of the Prophet (saws): "Certainly the fast of the day of 'Ashura is regarded by Allah as an expiation for the sins of the previous year."

Also, when the Prophet (saws) arrived in Madinah he saw the Jews fasting (on this day), so when he asked them (about this), they said: "Certainly, this is the day when Allah made Musa victorious and destroyed Fir'aun". So the Prophet (saws) said: We have more of a right to Musa than you". So he fasted (that day) and ordered it to be fasted.

As for the ninth, then it has not been confirmed that the Prophet (saws) fasted it, however, it has been narrated by Ibn 'Abbas and others that the explanation (tafseer) of the day of 'Aashura is that it is the ninth. And it has been narrated that he (saws) said: "If I am (still) here next year, then certainly I will fast the ninth (day of Muharram)" and in (another) narration: "along with the tenth (day of Muharram)". And he (saws) said: "Differ from the Jews; fast the day before it (the ninth) or the day after it (the eleventh)".

The Day of 'Ashura this year is on Wednesday 7th of January- so if you are to fast, ensure you fast- either the day before or the day after insha Allah.

Make the intention before Fajr time and insha Allah your fast will be accepted.

Finally just a small reminder about the importance of our intentions and how significant it is to correct and purify them every time we want to make a decision or decide on an action.

On the authority of Ibn Abbas that the messenger of Allah, among the sayings he relates from his Lord is:

"Allah has written down the good deeds and the bad ones." Then he explained it [by saying that] :" He who has intended a good deed and has not done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as a full good deed, but if he has intended it and has done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as from ten good deeds to seven hundred times, or many times over. But if he has intended a bad deed and has not done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as a full good deed, but if he has intended it and has done it, Allah writes it down as one bad deed." Bukhari and Muslim.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Judging from Naz's post, that means if one hasn't fasted on the 9th then it is okay to fast on the 10th as long as one intends to fast on the 11th too? (I didnt realise today was 9th of muharram, gutted!)

Can anyone confirm please?

Thanks

It seems to me that it is also ok to JUST fast on the tenth, but better to also do it either on the 9th or the eleventh too.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Angelic wrote:
Judging from Naz's post, that means if one hasn't fasted on the 9th then it is okay to fast on the 10th as long as one intends to fast on the 11th too? (I didnt realise today was 9th of muharram, gutted!)

Can anyone confirm please?

Thanks

yup, so wednesday and thursday.

Thanks guys (You and Noor)

Admin you're finally being nice - not as sarky as before, not in reference to this post but just all your post generally Smile (note i didnt mind your sarcasm, it was actually funny!)

Cray 2 - I thought I was actually nice then too!

(note i didnt mind your sarcasm, it was actually funny!)

Duly noted.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Dear Noor, Thank you for this reminder.

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

Dear Noor,

Please write shorter posts in the future, for those who cant be bothered to read long posts. Its so tiresome.

w/s

Seraph
PS Thank you for the lovely gift.

Back in BLACK

You wrote:
Cray 2 - I thought I was actually nice then too!
Duly noted.

Hmmm no comment!!

So who was fasting today? It must be much easier than ramadan coz they are really short now.

Smile

I didn't. But I did intend to.

You wrote:
Smile

I didn't. But I did intend to.

You know how it goes, if you have the intention but dont get the act done you are still rewarded for it.

I too had the intention but didnt realise 2day was the 9th of muharram, so does that count? Inshallah I will be fasting tomorrow and thurs (my days off, will have to miss going to the gym i guess)

Amal wrote:
Dear Noor, Thank you for this reminder.

Smile

Seraphim wrote:
Dear Noor,

Please write shorter posts in the future, for those who cant be bothered to read long posts. Its so tiresome.

w/s

Seraph

my apologies.

Serpy wrote:
PS Thank you for the lovely gift.

Wink

I was sick, so I spent all day in bed.

Not eating anything!

Don't just do something! Stand there.