Musician or Damnation?

Okay so here's the thing.

I know Music is a no no. How instruments with strings are haraam :roll:
BUT what about the keyboard? Technically it just plays back recorded sounds and there's no actual strings.

And yes im thinking of taking it up.

Thoughts?

Question your first statement.

Music is NOT a definite no no.

Some people say it is not allowed, others say it is.

Some instrumental music is Defo allowed - tambourines have been mentioned is ahadith.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i use to love playing the tambourines in school. this subject confuses the life out of me, i tend to stay away.

may lead to immodesty, fitna.

don't really know and i don't really care.

Another remembrance - the use of drums to intimidate enemy in war was allowed. Some say that drums can only be used is such cases.

I have not really looked into the arguments against music, but the ones I can think of seem lame.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Comeon guys!

Uv still not answerd my question!!

When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it is not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.

i don't have any answers/thoughts.

Noor wrote:
i don't have any answers/thoughts.

Comeon Noor dont fail me now.
Would you say in ur opinon that a keyboard is alright to possess and play? Or anyone else for that matter.

When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it is not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.

honestly, i have no idea. no thoughts at all, mind is blank.

i'm getting good at blocking things out, esp things that don't concern me.

My opinion: Yes. it is allowed. I would even say many real life instruments are allowed too.

Saying that, if that time could be better utilised, that would be better. but then even music can bring people a lot closer to islam.

OK, I can't give a fatwa about musical instruments per se.

BUT, I've read what sheikhs who say that all string/wind instruments are haram say about keyboards/electronic music.

They say that IF the keyboard tries to copy/mimic the sound of strings/wind instruments, then it is haram to play/listen to.

BUT, if it mimics voice sounds and/or has electronic-sounding sounds (like buzzes and squeaks that sound like no REAL musical instrument), then it is acceptable, because the human voice is halal to listen to, and electronic sounds aren't specifically mentioned in ahadith.

THIS is what I read. I have no idea of the reliablity. It sounds a very literal interpretation of hadith.

BUT, since it tends to be the sheikhs who interpret ahadith in a literal way who are the ones that say all musical instruments are haram, then if you follow them on THAT, you should probably follow them on THIS too.

That would mean that if you buy a keyboard, you can only use some of the sounds on the synthesiser.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I am really interested in knowing if there is a motivation on the disallowing of string based instruments.

Why are they not allowed? because of the sound they make? because of how they were manufactured? some other reason?

Bells drums and tambourines do have evidence allowing them for atleast some occasions, so it would be good knowing the specific reasons for than ban.

Ya'qub wrote:
OK, I can't give a fatwa about musical instruments per se.

BUT, I've read what sheikhs who say that all string/wind instruments are haram say about keyboards/electronic music.

They say that IF the keyboard tries to copy/mimic the sound of strings/wind instruments, then it is haram to play/listen to.

BUT, if it mimics voice sounds and/or has electronic-sounding sounds (like buzzes and squeaks that sound like no REAL musical instrument), then it is acceptable, because the human voice is halal to listen to, and electronic sounds aren't specifically mentioned in ahadith.

THIS is what I read. I have no idea of the reliablity. It sounds a very literal interpretation of hadith.

BUT, since it tends to be the sheikhs who interpret ahadith in a literal way who are the ones that say all musical instruments are haram, then if you follow them on THAT, you should probably follow them on THIS too.

That would mean that if you buy a keyboard, you can only use some of the sounds on the synthesiser.

It would be helpful if you could say who these sheikhs are. Then we know if we already follow them or not. Personally, i see nothing wrong with it. But then again i dont actually play an instrument.

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:

It would be helpful if you could say who these sheikhs are. Then we know if we already follow them or not. Personally, i see nothing wrong with it. But then again i dont actually play an instrument.

You're right, it WOULD be useful. Shame I can't remember. I think they were from a fatawa website which I can't remember the name of, but I remember Noor saying they were 'hardcore wobs', whatever THAT means.

I was just trying to help. Personally, I play the piano, it is classed as a 'percussion' instrument my musicians (even though it has strings inside).

A lot of music that is dedicated to God has been written for the piano, and it pleases me to play it.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

">http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LQTTFUtMSvQ]