Who loves stories? :D

This is one of my favourite ones! Biggrin
A man walking along a path felt very thirsty. Reaching a well he descended into it, drank his fill and came up. Then he saw a dog with its tongue hanging out, trying to lick up mud to quench its thirst. The man saw that the dog was feeling the same thirst as he had felt so he went down into the well again and filled his shoe with water and gave the dog a drink. God forgave his sins for this action. The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was asked: Messenger of God, are we rewarded for kindness towards animals? He said, there is a reward for kindness to every living thing

iv read it and heard it before but its a nice short inspirational story

s.b.f wrote:
The man saw that the dog was feeling the same thirst as he had felt so he went down into the well again and filled his shoe with water and gave the dog a drink. God forgave his sins for this action.

I love these anecdotes. When I was younger in Islam, I tried to analyse them to see what gave the ordinary people the heads up in getting Divine forgiveness. I drew the conclusion that it was the lack of differentiation between small and big deeds, what mattered was that they acted if they saw a need to act.

Now I think that opinion is unnecessary and over complicates something very simple. In latin, the root word of charity means 'love'. And that's what it's all about. The man loved the dog, and his love was such that seeing it in distress had a powerful effect on him. Imagine a huge person had picked up the man and thrown him down the well. That was the power of his love, it picked him up and threw him down the well for the sake of that dog's need. God loves that we have love for our fellow beings and He SWT forgives us when we let that love take control of us to the extent where it can pick us up and throw us down wells.

When a thirsty man get himself water, he is acting for himself and so the act has a judgment on it. But when he hands over the reins of his body to the driver of love then the one in charge of the man, love, affects and alters his account.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Come on people,, if its okay can people contribute short stories,, i would have a great time reading Biggrin

for a second i read that as 'love stories'

Alhumdullillah! You know I've heard this story but it concerned a prostitute instead of a man, and Allah (swt) forgave her, even though prostitution is frowned upon.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Why did Allah swt forgive her? Is this similiar to the man and dog story?

Prophet Sulayman (pbuh) in response to his special prayer to Allah was granted Kingdom and was given power over the forces of nature, over the Jinns and men and devils and other living creatures. He was also endowed with knowledge of their language and could easily communicate with them.
Prophet Sulayman (pbuh) once was sitting on the bank of a lake deeply engrossed in the beauties of nature around and appreciating the various forms of Allah's creation on earth.
Suddenly Prophet Sulayman (pbuh)'s attention was drawn towards an ant creeping forward with a grain of wheat in its mouth. As it reached near the water, a tortoise came out, opened its mouth and the ant crept into it. The tortoise closing its mouth disappeared under the water. After a while, the tortoise again sprung out of the water and standing on the bank opened its mouth and the ant came out. But this time it had no grain of wheat in its mouth.
Prophet Sulayman (pbuh) became anxious to know what had been happening under water. On inquiring, the ant explained that at the bottom of the lake, was a stone and underneath it lived a blind ant. Allah had created it there and because of blindness, it could not move about. The ant further said that I have been appointed by Allah to provide its daily sustenance with the assistance of the tortoise and hence, I do perform this duty everyday.
Let us ponder over one thing. If a tiny creature like an ant living under a stone at the bottom of a sea is not denied its sustenance, why should man the noblest of all creatures ever suspect loss of his sustenance from Almighty Allah? Isn't it foolishness to dirty one's hand in prohibited transactions for earning one's livelihood? Such persons do not get more, than what is destined and earn Allah's Wrath and Punishment in the Hereafter world.

s.b.f wrote:
Why did Allah swt forgive her? Is this similiar to the man and dog story?

Because she helped a dying dog.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi