Forced to marry

Salam

If one thinks about it, then one can easily see exatly what television and newspapers are doing.

Media's obsessive "forced marriages" campaign is an anti-muslim propaganda.

Nothing else.

We all know that people in media are not comfortable with Islam.

Hence, we see these sort of biased programs, and
distorted press articles designed to give a bad name to muslims.

Omrow

Ive not actually clicked on the link but is it that stupid program that was on the other day?

I'm sorry but I have to disagree..........nowhere in the program does it mention that this pratice is religious. On the contrary, it states that such practice is cultural. Why do some people jump onto the anti-muslim propoganda band wagon when somethings which "are" evident are addressed and brought to the forefront and which receive the much needed criticism. ISLAM is anti-forced marriages ........ and guess what ............. everybody with an ounce of commonsense realises that Smile

Yes, you can disagree. Thats the beauty of Britain. Its a free country.

You're not disagreeing back. I'm with BM on this one. Forced Marriags are haram and deserve to be criticised.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

No. BMW is disagreeing with me about the rising media propaganda against muslims.

i watched it. twas sad.

it didn't blame religion or owt like that. just the silly paki culture.

Noor wrote:
i watched it. twas sad.

it didn't blame religion or owt like that. just the silly paki culture.

I totally agree. I felt sadness watching this program. I really felt for the sisters who were going through it.

Pakistani girls (and to a lesser degree, boys) have been used to bring over our poor cousins from Pakistan for a 'better' life in the UK. In almost all cases this results from the pressure the parents are put under from their siblings or relatives in Pakistan. The girls are subjected to emotional blackmail and in extreme cases physical abuse to agree to the marriage.

I hope the programme educated the sisters about this jahaliyat, and I hope the parents start to think more about their children's future going forward.

Omrow wrote:
No. BMW is disagreeing with me about the rising media propaganda against muslims.

He was talking about the programme. And I think he is right about that.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

First and foremost..........the name is not BMW .......... it is BM.

OMROW........i think you have misunderstood my criticism as is rightly pointed out to you by "the lamp".

Anyhow, I do not wish to around this point, as i agree that some media reports are aimed at misdirecting the masses against the correct understanding of Islam.

WASALAAM

The bbc program I watched infact helped to rectify the misundestanding that religion dictates the practice of forced marriages......................Can you imagine how many muslim women have turned their back on islam because of certain cultural practices which have been attributed to religion....it deeply saddens me that the perpetrators do not seem to comprehend the detriment that their stubborness can at times cause ..................:((

I agree with all except this:

wednesday wrote:

> Culture over religion... It's hard to grasp the fact that our religion SHOULD be our culture.

That doesn;t make sense. Religion deals with things which are completely separate to Culture.

I can like porridge because I'm Scottish, and I can like wearing kilts for the same reason.

Neither of these should ever make me forget that I believe in God!

Don't just do something! Stand there.

You people are sooo naive. You shouldnt believe everything you hear.

A couple weeks ago I was in the Bureau and one of the advisors that I work alongside comes up to me and asks whether black magic exists in Islam. I asked why. She stated that the client she was interviewing told her that his parents had taken him to Pakistan under false pretences. When he got there they tried to marry him off to his cousin. He resisted so they tried to do black magic on him. He someone managed to escape back to Britain but has nowhere to live and no money. He came in enquiring about getting a New Charter House (council house) and what benefits he could claim and how he would go about claiming them.

I actually believed the story until the following week when he turned up with his mother. She was putting in a claim for DLA (disability living allowance) and wanted the form filling in. He had come to translate as she did not understand or speak much English. It didnt occur to me who he was until he started talking (I knew what he looked like as I had seen him in the waiting room in the previous week). He was on about how he had been engaged for 2 years to his cousin back home and he wants to get married but he cant coz there is no one to look after his mum who is ill. I then said why dont you take your mum to Pakistan with you, his reply was "my mum has not been Pakistan in years because she cant cope with the flight plus the surface is not flat there so she will keep falling over." I then suggested that perhaps his dad should help, take some of the pressure off him. He stated his parents were separated.

I was absolutely fuming because he had fabricated a story in order to falsely claim benefits and get a council house the little s**t. I really wanted to give him a good telling off but I couldnt coz of client confidentially (not that it would have stopped me) and coz his mum was sat right there and the poor women already had enough to cope with without being made aware of what a cheating, pathetic little weasel, scumbag of a son she has!

Anyway forced marriages is not as common as the Brtish Government seems to think so. And the only reason they have put the age limit up (as of last month a british person must be at least 21 before they can bring their spouse) is not to protect people from "forced marriages" but rather to cut down on immigration. Well thats my theory anyway.

ps before you all start shouting breach of client confidentiality there isnt because you dont who i am talking about.

Yeah, I know someone who did a similar thing.

Apparently it is the fastest way to get council housing... way too many people claim the issue of forced marriage when there was not one...

Saying that there is way to much emotional blackmail used too.

Parents suddenly being ill is IMO not a good reason to get married.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Naz* wrote:
plus the surface is not flat there so she will keep falling over.

Lol Lol Lol

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Salam

Lamp. I think you need read again what was written.

BMW was not claiming that forced marriages
do happen and that program was accurate.

BMW was basically saying that I was insane in
stating that these type programs are anti-muslim.

The program was clearly against our religion.

Omrow

i watched the second half of that programme on the day it came on. it was really sad and horrible. however i ddnt think it was anti-muslim but rather anti-pakistani. you always hear about pakistani's who force their children to marry but not much about any other ethnicity group. i guess they did mention it was part of other cultures too and it wasn't a religious belief, but the whole programme was about pakistani's!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Since its on iplayer, you can still watch it online from the above link (first post).

Not watched the program yet.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Anyway forced marriages is not as common as the Brtish Government seems to think so. And the only reason they have put the age limit up (as of last month a british person must be at least 21 before they can bring their spouse) is not to protect people from "forced marriages" but rather to cut down on immigration. Well thats my theory anyway.

The minister in charge is from "Oldham East" and is most probably racist. His past statements seem to indicate this.

He has blamed the asian community for various things at various times.

Just watched most of it and I can see nothing wrong with the program.

The vast problems with the Pakistani way of life are handled in a quite positive manner.

EDIT - just watched it all. A good program. I could not disagree with any of it.

Dawud wrote:
Naz* wrote:
plus the surface is not flat there so she will keep falling over.

Lol Lol Lol

Whats soo amusing? :?

The lady has arthritis in both her knees and uses a walking stick for support. One minute she is walking fine the next her legs give way and if there aint anyone around she falls. If you fall in this country then chances are you will get a bruise or broken bones which will heal in time. In Pakistan (village area) there are no pavements and if you fall down there is a very good chance that your gonna hit your head on a rock and die.

You wrote:

The minister in charge is from "Oldham East" and is most probably racist. His past statements seem to indicate this.

He has blamed the asian community for various things at various times.

Are you talking about Phil Woolas?

This is what i came across in my web search

Quote:
Voted strongly for introducing ID cards
Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws
Voted very strongly for the Iraq war.
Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war.

Theres no probable about it. Hes a racist!

You wrote:

The vast problems with the Pakistani way of life are handled in a quite positive manner.

EDIT - just watched it all. A good program. I could not disagree with any of it.

There was nothing good about it. It discriminated against Mirpuris by concentrating on that specific district. Anyone watching that would assume that forced marriages are a common practice amongst mirpuris when in fact they are not. The women who was apparently beaten by her husband was initially described as being severely beaten by her husband. When she was interviewed she only had a couple of barely visible scratches on her hands. Its obvious she got into a cat fight with another women. Men punch they dont scratch.

wednesday wrote:
Watched it.

It was TOTALLY culture stuff. No religion mentioned AT ALL.

Question: Do parents suffer from EXTREME humiliation and when the child runs away with AFTER the 'forced' ritual with some 'strangers' to end up in a rehab center or when the child elopes? Can we then say that parents bring it upon themselves? (it being everything that will curse)

I have some relatives... well they are like above forty or something, and not married... only because they have 'careers'- they work in BBC. I don't get it.

Im sure its more to it then that. Theres loads of career men and women who are married.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Omrow wrote:
Salam

Lamp. I think you need read again what was written.

BMW was not claiming that forced marriages
do happen and that program was accurate.

BMW was basically saying that I was insane in
stating that these type programs are anti-muslim.

The program was clearly against our religion.

Omrow

No religion mentioned. Quite the opposite mate.

And Naz, but surely you should give people the benefit of the doubt (but keep your eyes open)?

Or maybe he's just looking out for HIS country... *shrugs*

Or just playing to his constituents... which he agrees with. :badgrin:

It discriminated against Mirpuris by concentrating on that specific district.

It highlighted something which happens. And two of the cases were in Punjab I think, a third in northern Kashmir, no where near Mirpur.

I do not see it as discrimination when it is exposing practices that have happened.

I admire them for what they have become. Culture-less.

But can this not at times be like sheep without wool? (talking generics here, not your relatives. The loss of culture is not always a good thing and sometimes people try to hard to blend in to a world where maybe there should be second thought.)

I watched that
u can tell from it thou like how people back home call some parts of culture - religion.. when it clearly isnt...

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

The Lamp wrote:

And Naz, but surely you should give people the benefit of the doubt (but keep your eyes open)?

Which ppl? Your going to have to be a bit more specific?

wednesday wrote:
Naz wrote:

Theres no probable about it. Hes a racist!

Or maybe he's just looking out for HIS country... *shrugs*

Its not HIS country. Just because your born here dont mean you own it.

Wednesday wrote:
Naz wrote:
You wrote:

There was nothing good about it. It discriminated against Mirpuris by concentrating on that specific district. Anyone watching that would assume that forced marriages are a common practice amongst mirpuris when in fact they are not. The women who was apparently beaten by her husband was initially described as being severely beaten by her husband. When she was interviewed she only had a couple of barely visible scratches on her hands. Its obvious she got into a cat fight with another women. Men punch they dont scratch.

discrimination or stereotyping?

erm both

Wednesday wrote:
Naz wrote:
wednesday wrote:
Watched it.

It was TOTALLY culture stuff. No religion mentioned AT ALL.

Question: Do parents suffer from EXTREME humiliation and when the child runs away with AFTER the 'forced' ritual with some 'strangers' to end up in a rehab center or when the child elopes? Can we then say that parents bring it upon themselves? (it being everything that will curse)

I have some relatives... well they are like above forty or something, and not married... only because they have 'careers'- they work in BBC. I don't get it.

Im sure its more to it then that. Theres loads of career men and women who are married.

hmm let's leave it at that. One thing I would add though, they were the first females (from dad's side) to be 'allwoed' to get a degree and carry on till they have a career. I admire them for what they have become. Culture-less.

I cant really comment on that as in my family they are very big on education. The actually encourage the females. Just because you have a degree dont make you some modern fly chick. Two of my dads female cousins have degrees in sciences (one in bio chemistry the other bio medical sciences i think), both are married and one of them has a kid as well. Both still work (one of them is still on maternity leave but is going back to work in month or so). I think when parents dont allow their daughters to have an education culture has nothing to do with it, its more to do with their upbringing, "caste" and attitude towards women (some ppl believe women should stay at home)

Personally i dont think theres is anything wrong with culture, well as long as you dont start following it more than Islam. If there wasnt culture we wouldnt have such lovely salwaaar kameez, food and the ability to speak a second language.

You wrote:

It highlighted something which happens. And two of the cases were in Punjab I think, a third in northern Kashmir, no where near Mirpur.

I do not see it as discrimination when it is exposing practices that have happened.

But the way they protrayed it, it seemed like it was a common practice when in fact its not. All i heaard was Mirpur this and Mirpur that. I only know of one case which was in bradistan.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

I mean people who come to see you in the Bureau. Surely you're trained to give them the benefit of the doubt?

Salam

I want a person who is not a muslim to tell me what is a forced marriage.

In Islam, there is no such thing.

I would love to know what they think it is.

Omrow

You can try to ignore it as much as you can, but a lot of forced marriages do seem to happen to muslims.

They happen to Hindus and Sikhs too, but the point is that Forced Marriages are cultural not religious.

yes.

It's a tool.

Tools can be abused.

Pages