You Big Fat Liar...

Ever since i was a kid, i was told to tell the truth. That honesty was the best policy. And lies only begot more lies until your head exploded.

And then i grew up, and found out lies had their place too. For example lying to keep a promise or lying to protect someone. But of course as with all such things its tempting to go a lil too far.

So where should be draw the line? Is it ever okay to tell fibs?
Do you consider it a big or a small sin?

When i was little me and my siblings you to compete to see who could swallow the most orange seeds (you dont half do some weird things when your kids). Mother dearest saw us doing it and said stop swalling the seeds coz otherwise your gonna have an orange tree growing inside your stomach. Lol We actually believed her.

Then there was one time when asked mother dearest "where do you babies come from?" Her reply was "well when your asleep at night and your mouth is slightly opened God comes down a and drops a lil ball into your mouth. The ball slides down your throat into the stomach. That then grows into a baby. After 9 months the doctor cuts open the stomach and they take the baby out. Lol Lol

Anyways lying is wrong and we should avoid doing it but sometimes lying can be justified e.g. a husband says to his heavily pregnant wife you look lovely or you say your married when someone is trying to chat you up, lie in order to make someone feel better.

In Islam we are allowed to lie in certain circumstances.
A husband can lie to his wife in order to keep her happy (not sure if it works vice versa), you can lie in order to bring too families or two people who are in conflict with each other together. I think there might be another one but cant remember.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Didnt the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) say something about it isnt lying if your stoping two muslims from fighting?

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Naz wrote:

A husband can lie to his wife in order to keep her happy (not sure if it works vice versa), you can lie in order to bring too families or two people who are in conflict with each other together. I think there might be another one but cant remember.

could u please cite a source for this

and what sort of lies would they be?

"no honey, of course u dont look fat in that !"
??

= P

1R4M wrote:
Naz wrote:

could u please cite a source for this

and what sort of lies would they be?

"no honey, of course u dont look fat in that !"
??

= P

Sahih Muslim Book 32, Number 6303:
The Book of Virtue, Good Manners and Joining of the Ties of Relationship (Kitab Al-Birr was-Salat-I-wa'l-Adab)

Humaid b. 'Abd al-Rahman b. 'Auf reported that his mother Umm Kulthum daughter of 'Uqba b. Abu Mu'ait, and she was one amongst the first emigrants who pledged allegiance to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him), as saying that she heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: A liar is not one who tries to bring reconciliation amongst people and speaks good (in order to avert dispute), or he conveys good. Ibn Shihab said he did not hear that exemption was granted in anything what the people speak as lie but in three cases: in battle, for bringing reconciliation amongst persons and the narration of the words of the husband to his wife, and the narration of the words of a wife to her husband (in a twisted form in order to bring reconciliation between them).

The thing with lying is that, altho it might be considered a small sin it has the potential to grow. The more you lie the more you get used to it and before you know it your a big fat habitual liar.

Personally i prefer not to lie, unless i can help it and is absolutely necessary.

Back in BLACK

Our teacher at school once told us of the punishment in hell for lying - scissors made of fire chopping your tongue for each lie you gave - imagine hearing that at 8 years old :shock: - no wonder I still remember it today.

Naz wrote:

Anyways lying is wrong and we should avoid doing it but sometimes lying can be justified e.g. a husband says to his heavily pregnant wife you look lovely

Any husband who thinks his wife looks ugly when she is pregnant needs his head sorting. :evil: If anything, she is more beautiful then than any other time of her life.

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

Lying is only justified if it's the lesser of the two evils, ie. in war, to get two people talking. I don't think that Hadith meant that a husband can lie about his whereabouts or something unjustified. But generally, lying doesn't help, it destroys friendships and relationships with people. It should be avoided when possible.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Amal wrote:

Naz wrote:

Anyways lying is wrong and we should avoid doing it but sometimes lying can be justified e.g. a husband says to his heavily pregnant wife you look lovely

Any husband who thinks his wife looks ugly when she is pregnant needs his head sorting. :evil: If anything, she is more beautiful then than any other time of her life.

I dunno about MORE beautiful. But it'd be kinda stupid if he did think that, since she didnt get that way on her own and he is partially to blame.

Lol, we were told that too. Our tongues would be cut with scissors made of fire for each lie we told. To be honest i didnt really pay that much attention to such things as i had learnt from an early age parents had a habit of exaggerating.

Back in BLACK

Is it o.k to lie out of modesty?
e.g you don't want to fully say yes you do/did such and such...

'Allah gives and forgives
Man gets and forgets' Baba Ali

Amal wrote:
Our teacher at school once told us of the punishment in hell for lying - scissors made of fire chopping your tongue for each lie you gave - imagine hearing that at 8 years old :shock: - no wonder I still remember it today.

Naz wrote:

There is a certain glow to a pregnant womans face but that glow is only present when she is in her last semester. The first semester (the morning sickness stage) is pretty bad and it will take its toll on a woman but its understandable if she aint looking her best. I think some men are just fat phobics. :roll:

Young Anonymous Muslimah wrote:

If its what I think it is then the women that tell porkies dont do it out of modesty rather they do it coz they are embarrassed. I cant for the life of me understand that. Whats there to be embarrassed about? They have mothers and sisters do they not?
If you lie about it then they continue to ask questions, if you just come out with it they wont pursue it any further coz they turn bright red. Lol

Naz wrote:
Amal wrote:

Naz wrote:

There is a certain glow to a pregnant womans face but that glow is only present when she is in her last semester. The first semester (the morning sickness stage) is pretty bad and it will take its toll on a woman but its understandable if she aint looking her best. I think some men are just fat phobics. :roll:

If a husband wants to keep his nose clean, he'd be best advised to compliment his expectant wife every day of the week. Whether he thinks so or not. :roll: With all those hormones flying around, I'll not be surprised if she throws her bata chappal at him. :o Be brutally honest like that with her at your peril. Wink

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

The truth always sets you free, free as a bird, everyone knows that. it's so much easier to tell the truth even when you think you shouldn't in the end it is always best to do so as lies often get found out even if it takes a lifetime.

Salam

Seraphim wrote:

And then i grew up, and found out lies had their place too.
For example lying to keep a promise or lying to protect someone.
But of course as with all such things its tempting to go a lil too far.

So where should be draw the line?
Is it ever okay to tell fibs?

Good topic Master.

We all like to believe that our friends are
honest to us, and that they would not lie to us.

Now be honest and answer this question:

Suppose you work in an office, and Heidi Klum was your good friend.

You both trust each other.

If you find out that in 2008 Heidi told
you a total of 52 small lies to your questions, would your feelings towards her change?

Would you still trust her in 2009 the same as you did in 2007?

Omrow

Naz wrote:
Amal wrote:

Naz wrote:

If its what I think it is then the women that tell porkies dont do it out of modesty rather they do it coz they are embarrassed. I cant for the life of me understand that. Whats there to be embarrassed about? They have mothers and sisters do they not?
If you lie about it then they continue to ask questions, if you just come out with it they wont pursue it any further coz they turn bright red. Lol

in that case it isn't what you think it is! :?
(i hav no idea wot ur on about either!)

'Allah gives and forgives
Man gets and forgets' Baba Ali

Omrow wrote:
Salam

Seraphim wrote:

And then i grew up, and found out lies had their place too.
For example lying to keep a promise or lying to protect someone.
But of course as with all such things its tempting to go a lil too far.

So where should be draw the line?
Is it ever okay to tell fibs?

Good topic Master.

We all like to believe that our friends are
honest to us, and that they would not lie to us.

you a total of 52 small lies to your questions, would your feelings towards her change?

Omrow

Then you have to question your relationship. No relationship can work based on lies. Bcoz then you dont know who you're friends with. The actual person before you, or the lies they told.

Back in BLACK

Someone famous once said (I can't remember who):

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything."

I like that.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Truth is usually the only safe ground to stand on.

Back in BLACK

Well you can say, "Don't think I'm some big hero,"
Why lie?

wednesday wrote:
Seraphim wrote:
Truth is usually the only safe ground to stand on.

even if the ground's rough and it hurts vertime you step on it with bare feet?

Put some shoes on then. Lol

Its preferable to standing on the slippery slope that lies create.

Back in BLACK

But are we honestly protecting someone by keeping the truth from them, or are we just making things more complicated in the long run?
Better to be frank and honest.

Organic

Good point! Obviously that doesn't apply to situations where you're protecting someone from the person you're lying to.

Omrow wrote:
Salam

Omrow

That depends on the question you asked her every week.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

I hate telling lies. Bcoz it usually then means ive gotta lie again to cover the first lie.. and it just gets bigger and bigger.

Its easier to suck it up and just tell the truth. Ppl surprise you sometimes when you just tell them the truth.

When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it is not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.

If you REALLY don't want to tell the truth to someone, but are uneasy with lying too, you can always stay quiet/change the subject, and hope they don't ask again.

*note to self: marry someone with a short attention span.*

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I'm not sure if i can still comment on this blog
but i'm going to anyway XD

I think, as with most things, it's a matter of circumstances

It's all relative
it's like the poll someone made " is it ok to disobey your parents" or something like that
Well as a rule of thumb, No it's not but as usual- there are Exceptions

there are very few rules Islamically(is that a word?) that don't have exceptions...

it's kind of small minded when people just expect to be GIVEN basic rules and told to follow them
there's a reason Allah (swt) gave us the ability to THINK - and i don't know what it is
but one purpose is to be able to decipher right from Wrong

We're given basic rules and the innate knowledge of what's "right" to us and what's "wrong" to us

And i know this is a long winded answer- i'm sorry about that XD

but, As always, Allah knows best Smile

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

you've not got a chance in hell of that happening.
Short attention span with everthing but the things you want us to forget.

Organic

Ya'qub wrote:

Now, that's not very nice is it?

other than lying to save someones feelings, to protect someone from danger or some other very good reason i think lying is disgusting i hate i mean despise ppl who do it. Why? because I have come to realise over the past few years a friend i had since childhood is a habitual liar. It is actually a mental disease i've looked it up. Some ppl lie so much they think the lie is actually a truth after a while. They're lying so much one lie is exposing another lie, and they can't see that, but close friends and family usually can. So unfortunately i still have links with this friend i can't get rid of her entirely, i've known her all my life. I actually feel sorry for her, but i wouldn't say she is a friend of mine because I cannot trust her for anything.

Usually these habitual liars make up these fantasies and exaggerate truth because they've had a bad upbringing or something traumatic has gone on in their live, or simply they feel like a failure so they wish to appear greater than they are to outsiders, so the lies begin, and they honestly never stop. i.e if i'd ask my mate what did you do in the wkend, even if she did nothing exciting she;d make something up like i went to a mela in london on saturday, and an couture fashion exhibition at the nec on sunday. Me i'd just admit the truth coz i don't see the point in exaggerating i had a lazy day and a great fatty dessert of my choice. I usually knew she was lying because she would always say she did something that she knew i had always wanted to do, or was planning to do. So yeah i'd feel crappy but i'd try my best to hide those feelings and still say that's great for you girl i'm glad you had that experience did you enjoy it? She'd just look baffled coz of all the effort she made to lie, fell flat on her face. Oh it makes me mad, liars stay away from me I can sniff you out a mile!

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Why don't you try and help this friend of yours?

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi