Eid in the park

In an effort to create unity and common ground amongst Muslims in the region there are plans for Eid prayers to be held in a public park, Asian Image can reveal.

It is hoped the event, the first of its kind to be held outside of London, will mark a sea change in opinion about where Eid is prayed and when Eid is held.

Organisers are also hoping the move will help to change the image of Muslims amongst the wider community as to how the Eid festival is celebrated.
advertisement

But there have been reservations from some Muslims as to how the event will be held and what activities are planned for the day. Eid may fall on the same day for many Muslims this year.

From front page The North West Eid in the Park event will be held at Corporation Park, Blackburn. If last year's pilot event held in Ealing is anything to go by, thousands will be attracted to it.

The event is being organised by the Eid Celebration Committee (ECC) with similar events taking place this year in Brent, Leicester and Sheffield.

Jalal ibn Sa'eed Mohabbat of the ECC told Asian Image, "The Muslims community has been crying out for such an event. As well as prayers in the morning the two-day festival will include fun-fairs, Islamic stalls and children's games.

"However, prayers will only be held on the first day. We will celebrate on a second day for others to join in who did not pray on the first day."

There will be separate prayer marquees for women who are normally left at home on Eid morning.

"In the Prophet's (PBUH) time women were encouraged to read Eid Namaz and we can't see why this can't happen here?

"In London the response from the sisters was overwhelming. Some sisters were literally crying during the morning at having the opportunity to pray Eid namaz and listen to a Khutbah (sermon).

"According to Islamic texts regarding the Eid prayer must be prayed outdoor and can be prayed inside a masjid if it is necessary.

"It is against the sunnah to pray in the masjid if we have other means to pray outside or in a separate venue known as a Masala is available."

He was also surprised at the level of divisions on the issue of Eid day itself in the UK having himself lived in America.

"I must admit having been here eight years I did not expect there to be so many divisions on the subject. But god-willing these can be overcome and all our imams and mufti's will be able to see the bigger picture.

"Our sincere aim is to work towards having Eid on one day. But at the moment if people want to read Eid prayers in the mosques a day after this event then that is fine.

"It is time we stopped the bickering and arguing over moon-sighting and looked at the bigger picture.

"It is important that the host community sees a united Muslim community and two times a year we can show them what and who we are."

The first official meeting of the ECC will take place on November 4 at the House of Lords.

Local organiser Ashfaq Ahmed told us, "We are hoping to cater for 3,500 people and the plan is to attract people from across the region.

"The day will also include many competitions and games which people of all faiths will be able to join in with."

Many people backed the idea and the fresh approach to the Eid issue.

But there were some concerns from local mosque representatives. One told us, "There will always be concerns as to segregation after prayers and crowd control. And in particular what kind of activities will be held during the day?

"But it is up to individuals themselves on how they spend Eid and where they choose to pray Eid namaz may that be in a mosque or outside."

Theres actually an Eid Celebration Committee ??? lol.

Sounds good... too bad its just in London wud hav been cool.

Hope they get good weather.

Back in BLACK

over 3000 people have already been invited, its gonna be packed!

Behold...Me!

Seraphim wrote:

From front page The North West Eid in the Park event will be held at Corporation Park, Blackburn.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Naz wrote:
Seraphim wrote:

From front page The North West Eid in the Park event will be held at Corporation Park, Blackburn.

Cant be bothered going all the way to Blackburn.

Back in BLACK

Salam

Blackburn is near my own Manchester.

But we guys just hit Wilmslow on Eid.

Its a long established tradition.

All the fun is there.

Best food, best music, best passion.

Fun starts at sunset and last till around after midnight.

Most of my friends pray during the day and prey during the night.

Not me though.

I just enjoy the Kulfis which a friend had introduced to me.

Omrow

InshAllah if it is sucessful in Blackburn then they might bring it to other towns. Its nicer praying outdoors especially in the summer.

The Eid prayer in Trafalger square was ridiculous.

There are many statues/idols there. Why hold prayers there?! Why not in a Hyde Park away from the statues?!

Anyway, that was when Ken Livingstone was mayor, I doubt Boris will do the same.

Don't just do something! Stand there.