Bosnian Genocide

Assalamu alaikum,

I had switched off the radio for a few months, because frankly my children screaming in my ears from 5am to 6pm was taking its toll on me. The other day I decided to switch it on, but had my finger on the ready to switch it off, at the mention of anything "anti-muslim". But instead i was shocked to hear some welcome news, radovan karavich had been arrested after a decade or more on the run? This man was responsible for mass murder of bosnian muslims. When i think about my history lessons i knew very little about this event, and even now i'm not all that clued up on dates and events concerning muslim genocides.

So how clued up are you on the history of this event and/or other muslim genocides, minus the google aid. If we are not educated in these areas doesn't it mean we will be less sympathetic to our muslim brother and sisters across the globe. We will be less likely to offer assistance or aid in what ever manner we can?. How can we claim to be one body and feel the pain of other muslims if we cannot even react with genuine pain and tears for the sufferings of our muslim brethren? Or maybe you can feel genuine sympathy and don't know what i'm harking on about?

I am elated that he has been captured after "apparently" evading the authorities for so long. But i felt very disappointed with myself that i couldn't feel more, and i know for certain this boils down to ignorance on the plight of these bosnian muslims. I am in need of an education in this area. So if anyone has any suggestions on books i could read regarding this genocide and others concerning muslims like Rwanda for example please list titles for me. Also post your comments on this subject, and the capture of this nazi figure.

Yeah during my GCSEs my BV teacher used to talk alot about the Bosnian genocide adn he always used to mention that James Blunt was serving there!
Personally, I feel glad that this guy has been caught, but will they treat him more harshly than Saddam Hussein?

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Courage wrote:
Yeah during my GCSEs my BV teacher used to talk alot about the Bosnian genocide adn he always used to mention that James Blunt was serving there!
Personally, I feel glad that this guy has been caught, but will they treat him more harshly than Saddam Hussein?

Well, his fate won't be decided by the Iraqi legal system, so 'they' is someone else this time.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Although I was quite young, I remember when Bosnia was in the News. The world ignored the genocides and killing in the same way that it ignored Rwanda or Darfur today. Muslims charities would collect for them, and it was known for mujahideen to travel out there as well. History repeats itself, and it poignantly comes to mind whenever I hear of more contemporary sufferings such as Iraq or Darfur.

Bosnia is one of the two infamous genocides of the 1990s, along with Rwanda. It would be a GREAT disservice and tragedy if we forgot what happened there as Muslims. There are Holocaust memorial days and museums for the Jews of 2nd World War, and rightfully so, but we should remember to honour the mass blood spilt in places like Bosnia, Rwanda, Burundi etc as well, and perhaps create equivalent observances.

Thank you for bringing this into light. I've never gotten round to reading up on political world histories, but after today, I will try and make more effort to do so inshaAllah.

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

Try, Being Muslim the Bosnian way, Identity and Community in a Central Bosnian Village by Tone Bringa. It covers in depth the events that lead up to the war.

Hope this helps