Shaykh, Scholars and Jamaat

103 posts / 0 new
Last post

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
Levels of the Nafs

1. Nafs-i-Ammara, the Commanding Nafs

Behold! The commanding nafs encourages evil, except when my Lord bestows mercy. (Qur'an 12:53)

Traits: narcissistic, mechanical, conditioned, non-reflective, impulsive.

Habits: pride, enmity, cruelty, lust, stinginess.

2. Nafs-i-Lawwama: Blaming Nafs

But I swear by the accusing nafs that this Scripture is true. (Qur'an 75:2)

Traits: conscience, capacity for self-observation.

Habits: backbiting, trickery, conceitedness, hypocrisy, self-consciousness, guilt, fearfulness, wishful thinking, intense desire to please others.

3. Nafs-i-Mulhama: Inspired Nafs

And a nafs and Him who gave order to it and inspired it with a sense of what is wrong for it and what is right for it. Qur'an 91:8

Traits: generosity, gratitude, modesty, empathy, ardent desire.

Habits: liberality lacking discrimination, mystical inflation, tendency toward spiritual greed.

4. Nafs-i-Radziyya: Satisfied Nafs

Return to your Lord, content -Qur'an 89:28

Traits: endurance, resignation, constancy.

Habits: personal identification with affliction.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Nafs-i-Mardiyyah: Satisfying Nafs

for His being pleased with you! -Qur'an 89:28

Traits: knowledge of Allah, sincerity, unbounded faith and hope in existential communion.

Habits: mystical intoxication, lack of sobriety and balance.

6. Nafs-i-Mutmaina: Tranquil Nafs

To the righteous soul will be said, "O, you nafs in complete peace and satisfaction!" -Qur'an 89:27

Traits: dignity, sincerity, courage, compassion, complete loyalty.

Habits: Attachment to spiritual ambition.

Thanks for this info! Smile

Tpos wrote:
The thing with following just one shaykh is that the people who do that is that they listen to *everything* the shaykh says. It's been mentioned above that that's a good way of avoiding confusion in issues which is a good thing obviously.

But then when there's something that almost everyone else is against, the people who have taken the specific person as their shaykh will still listen to that shaykh - which I find worrying and it just makes me feel uneasy. There are things that only one group and so those who go against the majority may well be right, but what if the evidence isn't even very strong?

I just feel, from what I've seen, people seem to stop...thinking at times when they're just following someone else. And though all shaykhs are obviously at a much higher spiritual level than us, they are not infallible.

There is a difference between your Shaykh and an Alim. Your Shaykh is your spiritual guide. In the past mureeds would not go to gatherings of other Shayukh, they would accompany their Shaykh to the gathering and would wait outside until the gathering was over and then go back with their Shaykh. Reason for this was so that they would not get swayed or to have doubts placed in their hearts.

Not everyone needs a Shaykh, the only people that do need a Shaykh are those who want to advance spiritually. IMO most people do not understand the significance of having a Shaykh or the status they hold. A true Shaykh is a Wali of Allah Almighty, the one who takes you to the door of the Prophet SAW. You are meant to follow the Awliya blindly and question the Ulema.

The relationship between a Murshid and a Mureed can only be understood by others who have a Murshid. It all comes down to aqida and your understanding of the Awliya.

I don't know how all that relates but in my head it related when i first started typing. Anyway i'll stop their before i start sounding insane to normal folk.

Tpos wrote:
But then when there's something that almost everyone else is against, the people who have taken the specific person as their shaykh will still listen to that shaykh - which I find worrying and it just makes me feel uneasy. There are things that only one group and so those who go against the majority may well be right, but what if the evidence isn't even very strong?

I'll use an example to explain my point - Dr Tahir ul Qadri saying it's ok to celebrate Prophet Isa (as) birthday at Christmas.

I just feel, from what I've seen, people seem to stop...thinking at times when they're just following someone else.

I believe the majority is incorrect and my Shaykh is correct. Extreme much? This is having full faith in your Shaykh, if i didn't believe in my Shaykh 100%, they wouldn't be my Shaykh. It is a matter of aqida.

To become a scholar of authority you need to have studied hundreds of thousands of books, how many 'scholars' can say they have done that?

What i find funny is 'scholars' who have read a few ahadith from Bukhari and Muslim, glanced at the holy Qur'an and feel that they are qualified to pass a fatwa.

The whole issue of celebrating Christmas, how many people can truly say they have listened to Shaykh ul Islam's answer on this issue (not that one clip) and the reason behind the interfaith work of Minhaj ul Quran? Looked and studied in-depth the relationship between the Prophet SAW and the non-Muslims and how the Prophet SAW treated the Christians, Jews under his SAW ruling?

I follow Shaykh ul Islam Dr Muhammad Tahir ul Qadri

I was just reading some of the comments on this thread and the point made about Shaykh Ul Islam allowing Christmas celebrations and to clarify, Shaykh ul Islam allows Christians to celebrate Christmas in the headquarters of Minhaj ul Quran in Pakistan as an interfaith initiative and it is also clear that it is not a Muslim festival and it is desirable for Muslims not to celebrate Christmas. I think a lot of people are under the misconception that Shaykh ul Islam Dr Muhammad Tahir ul Qadri has allowed Muslims to celebrate Christmas.

Before making such remarks I think it is important to consider quite a few things. Firstly I’m sure we are all aware of the hadith in which the Holy Prophet Muhammad allowed a Christian delegation pray in accordance to their own faith in the Masjid e Nabvi! If the Prophet Muhammad PBUH allowed Christians to pray in the Masjid e Nabvi isn’t that proof enough that the Rasoolallah (s.a.w) himself promoted religious tolerance and integration? Islam is not a narrow religion and it encourages interfaith harmony, religious tolerance and interfaith dialogue and the celebration of Christmas is purely for interfaith purposes. Such work is important display the true values of Islam, Islam is an inclusive and to criticise such an esteemed scholar it is important to be able to review yourself, are you in a position to pin point a practice that Shaykh ul Islam may have taken years to research? Shaykh ul Islam has dedicated their whole life to the service of the Deen, they have oceans of knowledge and such depth that an ordinary person may never be able to reach.

Quite sadly, I have personally seen a lot of stigma attached to Minhaj ul Quran because of this interfaith initiative however what I find surprising is that many of these people who refute and criticize Shaykh ul Islam have not researched fully and delved into the literature of Shaykh ul Islam themself. I understand that there may be certain aspects that one may be unsure of however I think it is imprudent to establish a view point without having researched fully into a certain aspect. I think if people want to make a point they should not refer to a specific Shaykh or organization negatively, it is important to take courtesy of the feelings of others as I know there are other people who also follow Shaykh ul Islam Dr Muhammad Tahir ul Qadri also.

Quote:
I was just reading some of the comments on this thread and the point made about Shaykh Ul Islam allowing Christmas celebrations and to clarify, Shaykh ul Islam allows Christians to celebrate Christmas in the headquarters of Minhaj ul Quran in Pakistan as an interfaith initiative and it is also clear that it is not a Muslim festival and it is desirable for Muslims not to celebrate Christmas. I think a lot of people are under the misconception that Shaykh ul Islam Dr Muhammad Tahir ul Qadri has allowed Muslims to celebrate Christmas.

Never heard that before. Yes, I did think he allowed Muslims to celebrate it because others who follow him e.g. the above poster, Noor, says that he said it is allowed :S

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ZbDZCRtTI&feature=share]

Brother, from re-reading sister Noor’s post a couple of times, she has not mentioned that Shaykh ul Islam allowed Muslims to celebrate Christmas, perhaps you could quote the part where she has mentioned that Shaykh ul Islam has specifically allowed Muslims to celebrate Christmas? And again, you have further enunciated my point about people being ignorant of the reason and wisdom behind work carried out by Shaykh ul Islam and Minhaj ul Quran, it is this ignorance that usually leads to such misconceptions, you may find it useful to do a quick search and read some of the replies by Minhaj ul Quran on the issue of the celebration of Christmas, it will clarify a lot for you. You may also want to read through this:

Just to re-iterate, Islam stands for peaceful co-existence, it stands for religious diversity, religious tolerance and a multi-faith society. Acts such as allowing Christians to celebrate Christmas in the mosque is not just a Sunnah of the Holy Prophet Muhammad PBUH but it is also an excellent interfaith initiative as it is such acts that help to build bridges between communities. One of the main aims and the message of Minhaj ul Quran also to re-establish classical Islamic teachings and values in contemporary society. Our model is the model of Madinah where the Prophet Muhammad PBUH himself embraced religious diversity, interfaith dialogue and multi-faithism and it is only with sound and depth knowledge of the Deen and an open mind that someone may be able to truly comprehend the wisdom behind this.

I think it is important to follow a shaykh BUT i think you shouldn't just follow one. Otherwise your complete understanding of Islam is from one person- no matter how great he is. And if you think hang on I dont agree with what shaykh is saying on this issue... then you feel obliged you HAVE to agree with him.

eg shaykh nazim is a big spiritual leader...yet he told his followers that world will come to an end in 2000! Do you follow him or say nooooooooooooooo!

I think following several shaykhs allows you to have a comprehensive understanding of Islam. I don't have a shaykh per se but I have learnt alot from Shaykh Qadri. I also have learnt alot from Sh Hamza yusuf. I 've also learnt alot from Sh Salim Ghisa.

Yellowww wrote:
Brother, from re-reading sister Noor’s post a couple of times, she has not mentioned that Shaykh ul Islam allowed Muslims to celebrate Christmas, perhaps you could quote the part where she has mentioned that Shaykh ul Islam has specifically allowed Muslims to celebrate Christmas? And again, you have further enunciated my point about people being ignorant of the reason and wisdom behind work carried out by Shaykh ul Islam and Minhaj ul Quran, it is this ignorance that usually leads to such misconceptions, you may find it useful to do a quick search and read some of the replies by Minhaj ul Quran on the issue of the celebration of Christmas, it will clarify a lot for you.
have a read of this and reply on there if you wish to continue this, as it would be more relevant there.

Re the actual topic - agreed with Ed's last post

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Thank you for providing me with that link brother

With regards to this thread in general, I also think we shouldnt limit ourselves to certain or one scholar only, and listen and take knowledge of all scholars. Albeit there may be one murshid (spiritual guide) it does not mean we are cut off. In contemporary society I think it is essential to have a spiritual guide, someone who guides you through your life to the right path, the path of the righteous and a guide who assists one in attaining the pleasure of Allah and the love of Rasoolallah (s.a.w). Sitting in the presence of Awliya is a true blessing, one should strive to find the gatherings of the pious!

Tpos wrote:

I'll use an example to explain my point - Dr Tahir ul Qadri saying it's ok to celebrate Prophet Isa (as) birthday at Christmas.

I thought that no one actually knows the day Prophet Isa a/s was born... I thought Christians only have the 25th of December because of something that the pagans did.. I think its the day the day starts getting longer again :S

Death is the end of time. Not the end of Life.

Smile Biggrin

Lioness of Allah wrote:
Tpos wrote:

I thought that no one actually knows the day Prophet Isa a/s was born... I thought Christians only have the 25th of December because of something that the pagans did.. I think its the day the day starts getting longer again :S

Yep, it is a pagan thing. Not sure about it having any link to the days getting longer though.

Prophet Isa (as) was born in the summer though afaik

Pages