Life Altering Decisions

[b]RIGHT[/b]

I have almost come to the conclusion that I should quit my job. It's not a bad job; they treat me quite well and are paying half the money for my studying. It's easy and it not really a struggle. I get long holidays and my colleagues give me bare jokes.

[b]BUT[/b]

I've been there THREE years. I have NO motivation anymore. It's boring and I'm not sure if I even want to go into the career that the training is for.

[b]SO[/b]

While I haven't completely decided yet, I will talk it through with friends and family. It is unlikely that I would find something better than the current job, but I don't want to just go out and find another one. I want to travel the world. I want to learn Arabic. I want to broaden my horizons.

[b]HOW[/b]

My dad left me a little money in his will. I could use it to fund some travel, but I don't think it would be too difficult finding work in certain countries that I would like to visit, insha'Allah. Even more so if I completed a course about teaching English abroad. apparently it means there are hundreds of countries that you will never have difficulty working. Of course that type of thing is not guaranteed, but maybe I need to put my trust in Allah (swt).

[b]EVENTUALLY[/b]

I would like to get married and would want a career. But because the sister concerned is still in uni and her parents want her to finish before we can get married, I have to wait for just over 2 years either way. So now might be my only chance to be free, before I have too many obligations with family etc that would mean I can't do this. This might be my only chance. I might regret it for the rest of my life if I don't do it.

[b]HOWEVER[/b]

It is quite scary. Like being on a diving board and not sure whether to jump off or not. I will make istikhara insha'Allah and, like I said, consult with many people.

[b]SO[/b]

Have any of you lovely people ever had to make a potentially life-altering decisions? Did you chicken out and always wonder 'what might have been'? Or have gone for it and fallen flat on your face. Maybe you have made the decision and it's been the best thing you've ever done in your life. Maybe you know there is one on the horizon and you're not sure what you should do. Finally (and of COURSE most importantly), what do you think I should do?

[b]PEACE[/b]

[size=9]*I was joking when I said that telling me what I should do was most important. I know many of you will guess this is a joke. But I'm afraid some people might deliberately give me bad advice to pay me back for them thinking that I am egotistic. [/size]

Lol.. nice senario..
I dont know if my advice will do you any good coz i havnt taken many risks at all, everything has been so simple and straightforward in my life, apart from petty little things like OMG what subjects am i choosing for my GCSEs and all that kind of thing..
So im sure the rest of the people in the forum can help you out..
Only thing i say is if you dont feel motivated about your job, leave it, coz if its boring etc .. wassa point of gettin up in morning and going (ok, yeh, obvious, for the money, but cmon.. its not like school when you get up and KNOW everyday is gonna be different, yestrday wont be like today lol)
+ go traveling man.. once u have kids you'll be stuck at home until their atleast about 3 lol..
your free ryt now, so myt aswell take up the chance Smile

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

I advise you to stick with it - my fiance is in the same situation/career as you and is only one year away from qualifying. He too is sick of training. However, your very fortunate to have come this far. Loads of people would love to be in your shoes.

Everyone feels like this from time to time - I've wanted to be a teacher since I was a kid, yet still I couldnt get myself out of bed in the morning and wished I could have a lazy day in front of the TV instead of barking orders at restless kids who get crazy when its raining.

You need to work. You need to earn money - for financial and emotional reasons. Working gives you fulfilment, satisfaction, self worth and is a reason to get out of bed in the morning...those who dont work compared to those who do, are more likely to be depressed.

Stuff like travel, study etc can come after marriage and after your more established.

However, if you truly hate what you do with a passion and think something better is out there for you, then you should pack it in. No point being depressed and wondering what could have been...

I still want to work, although it would be teaching English abroad instead of what I'm doing now, insha'Allah.

And in terms of studying, I'll have completed the first level of qualification which would mean I [i]should[/i] be able to continue with studying when I come back, insha'Allah.

But thanks for the interesting feedback.

[b]HOW COME NO ONE ELSE IS COMMENTING?!?![/b]

Hmm... I'm going to give you all the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're giving it hours of contemplation so you can give me great advice...masha'Allah, what thoughtful people you all are!

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Ya'qub wrote:

Hmm... I'm going to give you all the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're giving it hours of contemplation so you can give me great advice...masha'Allah, what thoughtful people you all are!

Ahh well ive done my bit.. even thou it wasnt 2 much use lol.. so that isnt directed 2 meeee Wahayy! XD

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

pray salatul istikhara and seek guidance from your lord.

"...it is possible that you dislike a thing which is good for you, and that you love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knows, and you know not." (Surah Baqarah: Ayah 216)

Salam,

Without knowing all the details it is difficult but hopefully my chain of events may help.

6 years ago I worked for a company, my starting salary was £9k a year with lots of potential. I worked hard and 3 years later I decided to leave. I was earning £40k and had lots of experience as well as a brilliant track record for a career.

What I didnt expect was the sheer level of pressure and stress I would have to deal with and how it would impact on my personal life. I became an alchoholic. The only way to resolve this was to quit my job. I had a mortgage as well as other responsibilities but I knew if I did not quit I would end up in an early grave, and for what?

I quit.

I started reading a lot and after consulting for about 6 months I decided to start my own business. 3 years later, a life full of happiness, a daughter, a beautiful wife and a handful of enlightenment from Allah I have moved on.

I sold all the rubbish materialistic things I didnt need, I sold my completely unrequired mercedes and bought a dihatsu hatchback and my age..... I'm 28 this year.

The moral of my story, you need money to live not to buy materialistic things. If you can earn enough money by doing a job you enjoy and acomplish the things that you would like such as travelling then do it.

If I could ever change one thing in my life... it would be my profession.

Subhan'Allah.

[img]http//i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/fanafilllah/sig6.jpg[/img]

Ya'qub wrote:

The answer isn't obvious and I don't want to tell you to join the circus or whatever. Indecision is not your friend although asking for advice might absolve you from some responsibility so I guess there's the unconscious pay-off. At this moment, to an outsider, the various factors you might weigh up involve your own personal goals, preferences and strengths but if you can't decide, make a choice as if it were arbitrary, plan realistically and play it out.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

Join the circus. come on, it'll be a hoot!

Just think about it, never get bored, learn knife throwing/dodging depending on your role, fire breathing.

If you want to do something, do it. If it is a mistake, hopefully you will learn from it.

When you're 60 (and if you're still alive), I doubt you will be thinking "I wish I did NOT spend that year traveling." (unless you step on a mine, get kidnapped or something else happens... but even that... as long you live... it is an experience.)

Also, do it for the right reasons - marriage does not mean the end of life. You do not need to get everything out of the way beforehand. That is a misconception rife in the west. Marriage does NOT mean no life. Kids mean no life. Biggrin

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

...And marriage means kids (maybe not strait away, but they could always come unexpectantly.

I wasn't just asking for 'what should I do? Tell me please' I also would like other people's experiences, like the way Abbas has kindly put his experiences.

At the moment I am pretty much set on quitting at the end of May, because a teacing English abroad course starts in June.

I still haven't discussed this with my mum and sister, I wonder how they'd react to me saying 'I'm off to Syria to learn Arabic.'

hmm...

Ofcourse you could be a little more subtle... "I wanna travel the world" type of thing.

I would love to but can't.

Sometimes reality beats the dreams out of you.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Reality sometimes does make decisions for you...but this isnt always neccessarily a bad thing. This time last year, I was all set to begin my career in teaching, stick with it for the next 5years or so and then pursue other stuff...However, now my heart isnt in that anymore...I love what I do, but I'm dying for a break from work/study. So now, I welcome taking a break from teaching for the next 8months (Learn Arabic in Syria is now the plan instead).

Thing is, one can only make firm intentions for what they want to do in life...however, things dont always happen in the right 'order' but I strongly believe that one always gets what they want in life - providing they pray and want it badly enough.

MuslimSister wrote:
(Learn Arabic in Syria is now the plan instead).

SubhanAllah, I've just spent all evening telling my friend to go there with me to do the exact same thing!

All my friends who have done this tell me how wonderful it is - and when I visited it last year it was great - no Western influence i.e. Coca-Cola logos or McDonalds, everyone rushes to prayer when the adhaan is called, plus the Arabic dialect they speak is the clearest and is the closest to correct Tajweed.

Plus there are the nicest people I've honestly ever met. Some examples:

- We met a guy in the local mosque who took us too dinner, then to see his textiles factory. Afterwards he dropped us off at our hotel and once we'd gone upstairs he went to the reception and paid for our whole hotel bill!

- A car pulled over at the side of the road and the driver popped his head out the window and called us over to him. He then gave us a packet of biscuits and drove off!

- When my friend (who'd been studying for a year there was on his way to the airport to go home, he was sitting on the back of a pick-up truck and looking around the streets with tears in his eyes cos he was sad to go. The driver of a car behind him got out at the traffic lights and came up to him to give him a tissue to wipe his eyes!!

Syria is basically the living proof that you shouldn't judge a country by its government.

Now I think I will be going there, insha'Allah. After a travelling around with a backpack, maybe the Far East for a little while, I plan to stay there for a year.

If they had better/cheaper internet access, then it would be perfect (and of course a government that didn't commit genocide against its own people, spy on everyone, and start arguments with Western countries would help too).

My last job was boring, repetitive and not relevant to my future career but i still stuck with it coz the money was paying off my student loan. I longed to quit and came really close but talked myself out of it every time. Anyway in the end i didnt have to quit coz i was made redundant lol (be careful what you wish for).

Since I have been to a couple of interviews and have been offered 3 jobs. I have been thinking about this for days and still cant decide which one to take. I have never had a problem with making major decisions before but now I'm unsure about a lot of things. I’ve had a chat with my parents, my mum is telling me to go for one job and my dad another so they aint much help lol.

@ Ya'qub if you dont get fulfilment out of your current job and its not relevant to your future career then jack it in.
If you got the money then go travel the world (i would)now is the time where you have no or very little responsibility. Be adventures, you might not get this opportunity again.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

On a personal note - things that I have always wanted to do, learn Arabic in Syria, spend tme teaching abroad, travel, get involved with a school or hosp in a third world country etc etc are actually now on the cards BECAUSE I'm getting married.

I dont understand why people percieve marriage as the end of everything.

MuslimSister wrote:
On a personal note - things that I have always wanted to do, learn Arabic in Syria, spend tme teaching abroad, travel, get involved with a school or hosp in a third world country etc etc are actually now on the cards BECAUSE I'm getting married.

I dont understand why people percieve marriage as the end of everything.

There's a big difference between a man or a woman in this respect. Also I think what type of person you'r marrying will make a difference. Plus, many people want kids ASAP while some would prefer to wait.

Ya'qub wrote:
Syria is basically the living proof that you shouldn't judge a country by its government.

I believe so.

Joie de Vivre wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

I believe so.

At least they didn't vote in their government so can't really be held responsible. Unlike a certain neighbour of theirs...

Ya'qub wrote:
Joie de Vivre wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

I believe so.

At least they didn't vote in their government so can't really be held responsible. Unlike a certain neighbour of theirs...

Feh, that's what I get for agreeing with you! fwiw I think Syria's government is plenty responsible for plently of what goes on next door, but it's another subject.

I was talking about Palestine

Touché. I apologise.

wow MuslimSis, when are you going? you are so lucky maashAllah, some sisters i know are going in september inshaaAllah. once i've done my degree i'm going to head to Syria too, if it was up to me i'd go now! ya'qub, if i was in your shoes i'd quit my job and go and travel for a bit and then settle down in Syria to study Fiqh and Arabic. you've got your whole life to work, once you get married and have kids your priorities are going to change, you'll have to be at home supporting your wife and children, you wont have time to travel and concentrate on learning Arabic wa Allahu alam. this is your only chance, go for it.

Noor wrote:
wow MuslimSis, when are you going? you are so lucky maashAllah, some sisters i know are going in september inshaaAllah. once i've done my degree i'm going to head to Syria too, if it was up to me i'd go now!

Basically, my fiancee has always wanted to go - I think he's completed level 1 and 2 in Arabic and the course that he's registered with offers level 3 in Summer in Syria (Ibn Jabal course).

I've decided to take a break from work this december - study Arabic from January to June on a full time basis and then when I reach his level we can go and study level 3 together in syria in Summer 09.

Cos we both wish to return to work, neither on of us can go for more than 6weeks. But one good thing about Syria is that we can return there every summer should we wish.

I'm SO looking forward to next year...we have malaysia, Hajj and Syria on the cards!!

For me and him, life isnt going to 'end' once marriage starts, its the start of all the things that we both wanted to do for a long time now.

MuslimSister wrote:

I'm SO looking forward to next year...we have malaysia, Hajj and Syria on the cards!!

For me and him, life isnt going to 'end' once marriage starts, its the start of all the things that we both wanted to do for a long time now.

[b]Malaysia[/b] as well? Masha'Allah!! I will have to wait til I get married to go there, insha'Allah. I have a whole family to go and meet, plus some friends who used to live here who've gone back home.

Aper Kabah (How are you?)
Kabah Baik (I am fine)
Terimakaseh (Thank you)
Sama Sama (You're welcome)
Makan (Eat)
Tidoh (Sleep)
Buleh (That's Possible)
Tak Buleh (Not possible)
Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice)
Satay Ayam (Chicken cooked on skewers)
Teh Tarik (Tea w/ condensed milk)

That is pretty much all you need to know. Except, as you will be married:
Sayang (Darling)

Bro, my advice is very simple.

"Follow your heart", it wont lead you astray.

Oh and may the force be with you.

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:
"Follow your heart", it wont lead you astray.

hohoho

hahahah

"It won't lead you astray"

hahahaha

Self-doubt however will most likely kick you in the nads.

Personally I dont expect anything. You just have to make up your own damn mind as to what it is you believe.

Back in BLACK

I spoke about this to my mum today and she was really pleased for me and agreed it was the best thing to do.

Alhamdulillah! - Now I just need to tell work...

When I was at college doing my A-levels, half-way through the year my politics teacher got the opportunity to teach in Chile and he took it. During the lesson he told us that he was leaving in a few weeks and we were like don't go. His reply was something like, you wouldn't understand, esp, the guys who got their mum to do everything for them. And I'm like 'that's so true'.

Anyway, thought I'd share.

I handed in my notice today.

It felt GOOOOOOOOOD!!

My last day is May 21st, insha'Allah!

Brrrrrrap!

Pages