Does the Hijaab/Beard turn you into a tramp?

97 posts / 0 new
Last post

Lol. Girls - Naz and Noor, you made me laugh. I thought I was bad!

However, this may sound crude but, if you have no one to impress - than who gives a crap. Thats was the way I looked at it.

The only reason I've 'stepped up' my game is cos I recently got enagaged.lol

@Seraph, yeah family have noticed a difference. They've seen my confidence increase.

Courage wrote:
Look there's a big difference between culture and religion. What Muhammad (pbuh) wore was culture, he never said: "Wear this!" If you want to wear it then fine, I've got no problem but it's not religion. As long as it covers you arwa, then it's allowed.

Dude did you even read what I wrote.

No-one is saying the clothes we wear today is haram, or that the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) ordered people to wear certain clothes, other than forbidding clothes which are tight and revealing. But loving him and trying to implement the Sunna (the things he saw did) is rewardable, that's all. And implementing the sunna IS religion, it might have been something cultural at the time of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) but doing it now is a rewardable act.

MuslimSister wrote:

That plays a major part if you have someone to impress then you will care about your appearances.

Before marriage I used to wear a lot of make up and dress up nearly every day, just few months before marriage I stopped because I had acne and felt pretty down about my appearance and stopped wearing make up (pretty much stopped making an effort). After marriage, regardless of acne I would dress up because i had my hubby to impress until he forced me stop wearing makeup because my acne was geting worse and I was feeling down.

There are certain time in everyones life when they make an effort to dress up be it peer pressure or for the sake of your partner.

MuslimBro wrote:
Courage wrote:
Look there's a big difference between culture and religion. What Muhammad (pbuh) wore was culture, he never said: "Wear this!" If you want to wear it then fine, I've got no problem but it's not religion. As long as it covers you arwa, then it's allowed.

Dude did you even read what I wrote.

No-one is saying the clothes we wear today is haram, or that the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) ordered people to wear certain clothes, other than forbidding clothes which are tight and revealing. But loving him and trying to implement the Sunna (the things he saw did) is rewardable, that's all. And implementing the sunna IS religion, it might have been something cultural at the time of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) but doing it now is a rewardable act.

Yeah I did actually. What is the law of Islam? The Shariah. What is the Shariah, the Quran and the Sunnah. I don't see anything wrong with doing what the Prophet did, but it's not religion, it's culture, it's optional.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

@ MuslimSister
Congratulations Smile
Wheres my matai lol
Did you have a big doo ie book a hall and invite all your relatives or did you have something small?

Most married women make a lot of effort to look nice for their partner but the guys never bother. The only change you notice with them is that they put on a couple of pounds Blum 3

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

@ MS Congrats... and thanx for tellin us. AND WHAT THE HELL MAN, WHERES MY INVITE?

"Naz" wrote:
Most married women make a lot of effort to look nice for their partner but the guys never bother. The only change you notice with them is that they put on a couple of pounds Blum 3

Hey, thats not fair. Guys make an effort... its just not in our appearance (we're not as vain as you lot). We put up with your mood swings, we buy all sorts things that we dont even need, ive known some guys to basically let their wives dress them like they're some sort of Ken Doll.

But some guys do start watching their weight (or atleast they do in the first couple of years... and then slowly but surely they stop... just to see if she notices... and if she doesnt. WE'RE HOME FREE!!!!! hhahahaha.

Back in BLACK

MuslimSister wrote:

Hey, Mazal Tov! Biggrin

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

Seraphim wrote:
@ MS Congrats... and thanx for tellin us. AND WHAT THE HELL MAN, WHERES MY INVITE?

You didn't get one? I'm already Maid of Honour (I'm not sure MS knows this quite yet...)

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Ya'qub wrote:
Seraphim wrote:

You didn't get one? I'm already Maid of Honour (I'm not sure MS knows this quite yet...)

Dude, whatever you say.

Im with the band.

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:
Seraphim wrote:

Dude, whatever you say.

Im with the band.

I'm conducting the ceremony.

In that case, can we break plates? Like they do in greek weddings?

looks like fun.

Back in BLACK

Yeah no problem, so long as you glue them back together.

HAHA

Seraph wasnt invited..! See thats what you get for being MEAN Sad

Lol.. BTW.. have you guys noticed that im online like 5 times on that panel on the left?! But im not!! it wont let me log on!

Revivals Playng Up!

Actually you'll find im only mean to a select few. You are a special case Acute

Yes, we've noticed you're logged on 5 times.

try logging out... or closing you're browser and then reloading it.

If that dont work. Click on this screen with the mouse and press Alt & F4 (togeather at the same time). That should do the trick.

Back in BLACK

Interesting topic and interesting comments so far.

Wearing hijab or having a beard still means you should maintain your personal hygiene and dress as well as you can. Like your face is a mirror to your heart, your dress and appearance are a mirror to your personal confidence and self-esteem, and how good you feel in yourself. Most times, looking good does equate to feeling good.

Also, I have a beard and I don't like it when it starts to become untidy, so I prefer to keep it tidy and presentable.

Personal hygiene is of course very important. Cleanliness is close to Godliness and all that... but I'm not sure about 'dressing as well as you can'.

If you mean that clothes should be clean and smart, then I agree; but there are many people (me included) who show off with their clothes sometimes and 'dress to impress' etc.

Clothes should NEVER become a distraction from things that are really important.

I remember a hadith in which the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was given a blinging new cloak by someone. He prayed while wearing it, once, before returning it to the person who'd given it to him. He then asked someone to get is old, woollen cloak, because he said that his prayer was distracted because the new one was so nice.

If even the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) can be distracted by fancy clothes, how are we supposed to keep focused on the worship of Allah (swt)?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I still get my hair plaited by my auntie even though I covered up only a couple of months ago. I dress up when I'm with my cousins and when I'm out with my muslim sisters I wear fancy hijabs and jilbabs. I don't think I should be a "trap" because I'm a muslim. My non-muslim friends actually come to me for fashion advice lol.

In the Name Of God the Most Gracious The Most Merciful.

By the morning light, and by the night when it is still. Your Lord has not forsaken you, nor does he hate you. Sura 93:1-4

The only One who can get you close to God is GOD Alone Allahuakbar! I

Courage wrote:
Yeah I did actually. What is the law of Islam? The Shariah. What is the Shariah, the Quran and the Sunnah. I don't see anything wrong with doing what the Prophet did, but it's not religion, it's culture, it's optional.

Yes, it is optional but it's also religion. That's the reason why you get rewarded for it.

In the Hereafter you will be with the one you love, so if you truly loved the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and tried 'to be like him', you will be with him (saw).

Let's not get too bogged down with this as it's off-topic.

Angel wrote:
That plays a major part if you have someone to impress then you will care about your appearances.

There are certain time in everyones life when they make an effort to dress up be it peer pressure or for the sake of your partner.

Even if you're single and not married/engaged, would you even consider to marry someone if they don't take care of themselves?

i'm sure that would change after marriage. no one wants to look like a tramp for their husband/wife.

Ofcourse, that's after marriage. But there needs to be some kind of 'attraction' before marriage.

So if there's this guy/girl and they look like a 'tramp', would you even consider them for marriage. I kinda wouldn't.

yah i would. deen comes first and then later on, i'd tell him to clean up his act.

The word “tramp” means different things to different people. To me a “tramp” is someone who IS hygienically clean but doesn’t take pride in their appearance coz they simply don’t care what ppl think about them.

Now what do I mean by someone who does not take pride in their appearance? By this I mean someone who doesn’t do themselves up (ie doesn’t wear 3 inches of slap, matching jewellery, clothes that colour coordinate).

There are a number of reasons why people don’t do themselves up. Some of them are as follows:
Don’t have the time/ have more important things to do
Don’t want to draw unwanted attention to themselves
Want ppl to appreciate them for their intellect and not for their appearance
The weather is crap/not in the mood
Simply cannot be bothered (too much effort required)

Also what one person might view as a “tramp”, another person might view them as someone who dresses for themselves rather then dress to impress others.

Seraphim wrote:

"Naz" wrote:

Hey, thats not fair. Guys make an effort... its just not in our appearance (we're not as vain as you lot). We put up with your mood swings, we buy all sorts things that we dont even need, ive known some guys to basically let their wives dress them like they're some sort of Ken Doll.

But some guys do start watching their weight (or atleast they do in the first couple of years... and then slowly but surely they stop... just to see if she notices... and if she doesnt. WE'RE HOME FREE!!!!! hhahahaha.

1) Were not all vain
2) you lot have mood swings as well (your a classical example lol)
3)You men should be grateful and thankful that your wives are considerate/thoughtful enough to dress you lot up Blum 3
4) As for the weight gain she will notice i can guarantee you that much and when she does no one will be able to help you.

Naz wrote:

There are a number of reasons why people don’t do themselves up. Some of them are as follows:
Don’t have the time/ have more important things to do
Don’t want to draw unwanted attention to themselves
Want ppl to appreciate them for their intellect and not for their appearance
The weather is crap/not in the mood
Simply cannot be bothered (too much effort required)

Also what one person might view as a “tramp”, another person might view them as someone who dresses for themselves rather then dress to impress others.

Very true.My understanding of 'tramp' isnt someone who doesnt keep themself clean...its just someone with a lazy attitude to their appearance.

Someone who doesnt bother to wash is just dirty.

And the main reason why I gave up the upkeep of manicures, hair colour etc cos I didnt dress to impress anymore. Plus, no one saw my hair. And all of the reasons you've stated above,

And anyway, my finacee (fortunately) became intrested in me in'tramp' mode - i.e. hadnt trimmed my hair in months and didnt even have a manicure!

But now, I've really stepped up my game. Its amazing what bit of incentive can do for a person...

@ MuslimSister: congrats.

Where's a picture of a wedding cake when you need one?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

MuslimBro wrote:
Courage wrote:

Yes, it is optional but it's also religion. That's the reason why you get rewarded for it.

In the Hereafter you will be with the one you love, so if you truly loved the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and tried 'to be like him', you will be with him (saw).

Let's not get too bogged down with this as it's off-topic.

Muhammad (pbuh) advised on what sort of clothes to wear, it's not restricted to robes, any Halal clothes will get you reward, robes or not. But anyway let's move on.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Naz wrote:
The word “tramp” means different things to different people. To me a “tramp” is someone who IS hygienically clean but doesn’t take pride in their appearance coz they simply don’t care what ppl think about them.

Or maybe they take pride in their appearance bcoz they feel good?

Naz wrote:
Now what do I mean by someone who does not take pride in their appearance? By this I mean someone who doesn’t do themselves up (ie doesn’t wear 3 inches of slap, matching jewellery, clothes that colour coordinate).

Or maybe it means just brushing your hair every morning Wink You don't have to dress up like a doll just to take pride in your appearance.

Courage wrote:
Muhammad (pbuh) advised on what sort of clothes to wear, it's not restricted to robes, any Halal clothes will get you reward, robes or not. But anyway let's move on.

How comes you get the last say. Anyway I wanna say something but I won't.

MuslimBro wrote:

Even if you're single and not married/engaged, would you even consider to marry someone if they don't take care of themselves?

Obviously attraction is a vital thing if you dont know someone personally as you will base everything on their looks.

I did make an effort before i was married but not for marriage reasons, just becoz i was happy looking good, now with acne i cannot because its making it worse ie makeup but with regards to clothing I always wear nice stuff with matching accessories, that has always been the case just after i turned 15.

MuslimBro wrote:
Naz wrote:

Or maybe they take pride in their appearance bcoz they feel good?

from personal experience i find that im comfortable, more confident and feel darn good when im a tramp. Each tramp to their own.

MuslimBro wrote:
Naz wrote:

Or maybe it means just brushing your hair every morning Wink You don't have to dress up like a doll just to take pride in your appearance.

seems a bit pointless not to mention a bit ridiculous if you have no knots in your hair and your brushing it. Plus excessive brushing can damage the hair.

Pages