The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

I don't know the rules on this, but alcohol used in the production of dry goods (and it is only the flavouring) would evaporate so you wouldn't be ingesting more than the tiniest traces. I think you'll find there's far more alcohol in an orange or tangerine.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

think about all the weight you'll lose!

Didn't read the whole article, but there are diff types of alcohol, and it mentioned that it is a small amount so *stuffs face with Thai sweet chili crisps* Biggrin

' Nay, verily! With me is my Lord, He will guide me ' {2662}

It is not the amount that matters.

Not sure if it is haraam - afterall vinegar is halaal and I would expect any remaining "alcohol" to have soured during the cooking process... still need a scholars opinion.

PS the alcohol family is toxic to human consumption. Ethanol is the one with the least reaction - just drunkeness. All the others are potentially lethal.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Ethanol is lethal too!

Don't just do something! Stand there.

This is a tough one... but I would probably still eat it because-like some people have said- there are things with very tiny amounts of alcohol in it which could be considered halal. However, I am annoyed at the walkers crips for not making it obvious that there is alcohol in it because there will be some people that are upset about this.

In the Name Of God the Most Gracious The Most Merciful.

By the morning light, and by the night when it is still. Your Lord has not forsaken you, nor does he hate you. Sura 93:1-4

The only One who can get you close to God is GOD Alone Allahuakbar! I

things with alcohol - even a tiny drop - added to them are NOT considered halaal.

The question is whether there still is alcohol in them or not.

From what I have read, it seems this is about the "Sensations" range. Is this true, or all crisps from Walkers? i rather like the cheese and Onion flavour... maybe I will give them a miss.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Oh no! I hope this isn't true as I love my crisps. If it is, I hope they do something about it. Very quickly.

Bread also contains alcohol; so does numerous other foods such as fruit. I personally don't feel its an issue especially since the amount of alcohol is so little and as another member pointed out such a small amount probably would have evaporated. Another thing, alcohol does not neccessarily mean the drink that intoxicates people, it can just be a mixture of compounds (CnH2n+1OH) - which is basically just made up of carbon, hyrdrogen and oxygent atoms. What is bothering me though is the amount of articles being written on this matter with the headlines "muslims furious at the alcohol content in walkers"... Muslims are not the only ones who abstain from alcohol and not all muslims are reacting in an angry manner, but such articles are prompting hostility from non-muslims and enforcing the view that we muslims can not adapt to living in this country. Quite a few non-muslim friends pointed out to me that if muslims are so against alcohol than why do the majority sell them in their newsagents/shops?

Bread is a different case - alcohol is not an additive, but the yeast that is used creates it.

As I said before, best to ask a scholar about this instead of making our own verdicts which may (or may not) lead to sin.

hmm

No big deal. I dont even remember the last time I had walkers crisps.

Pringles all the way... once you pop you cant stop.

Back in BLACK

@ Alisha and Farooq
I cant believe you think its no big deal if there is only a small amount of alcohol in the crisps. Its like saying its ok to eat chips that have been fried in animal fat oil or sweets with gelatine as long as you say bismillah on them (i have know ppl to do this)!!!!!

Alcohol is haraam full stop!

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"Alcohol is haraam full stop!"

That's not a full stop, it's an exclamation mark!

But I agree with your point.

But not the line?

Yeah, alcohol is Haram. BUT......... in bread it evaporates doesn't it? I would imagine same goes for crisps? Hey, is there a scholar in the house?

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Is there a definitive list of which flavours/ranges use alcohol?

I really want to eat Walkers MAX Cheese and Onion flavour... and that article mentions:

Quote:
Snacks that are likely to be boycotted by Muslims are Sensations Thai Sweet Chilli, Doritos Chilli Heat Wave and Quavers Cheese.

Kit Kats, Yorkies, and other contraband products for strict Muslims

The news that some Walkers Crisps contain alcohol has disturbed Muslims who bought the snacks believing them to be halal. Some Muslim groups have threatened to boycott the company.

Here's a list of other products that Muslims have to be careful to avoid to comply with the dietary requirements of Islam.

Nutella Hazelnut Chocolate Spread, Ferrero Rocher Chocolates, Bounty Milk Miniatures; Celebration; Funsize – Mars, Milky Way, Snickers; Galaxy Caramel Swirls and M&M’s Peanut, Milky Way Crispy Rolls, Milky Way; Twix Kingsize, Aero – Milk chocolate, Orange, Peppermint; Animal Bar; Black Magic – Caramel, Hazel Cluster, Hazel in Caramel; Blue Ribband; Breakaway – Milk Camarac and Milk Chocolate; Caramac; Dairy Box – Almond Fayre, Autumn Hazelnut, Caramel Classic, Country Fudge, Nut Swirl, Strawberry Fool, Toffee Cup, Turkish Delight, Vanilla Truffle, Wafer Sandwich; Golden Cup; Kit Kat; Lion Bar; Matchmakers – Coconut, Mint, Orange; Milkybar White Chocolate Mini Eggs; Munchies; Quality Street – Caramel Cup, Coconut Éclair, Dairy Fudge, Fruit & Nut Delight, Hazelnut Éclair, Hazelnut in Caramel, Milk chocolate Hazelnut, Noisette Triangle, Toffee Deluxe, Toffee Fingers, Vanilla Octagon; Rolo Bar; Rolo; Smarties – orange only; Walnut whip – Vanilla; Yorkie – Milk Chocolate, Nutter, Raisin & Biscuit. Kraft Singles Cheese Food Slices

Cheese Quavers; Cheesy Monster Munch; Savoury Cheese Snaps; Walkers - Cheese & Onion Crisps, Cheese & Onion Lites, Tomato Ketchup Crisps, MAX Hard Cheese & Onion, Kettle Chips Yoghurt and Green Onion.

More surprisingly perhaps these products from The Body Shop are alleged to contain by-products from the meat industry: Bath Beads – all varieties, Bath Bubbles – Cola, Forest Jelly, Ice Cream, Satsuma, Strawberry; Hawthorn Hand Cream; Shampoo – Mint & Thyme, Orange Oat, Seaweed & Peony; Tea Tree Oil Facial Wash

And finally Kellogg's Pop Tarts which quite frankly should be haram (forbidden) for everyone.

The products listed contain Gelatine (derived from skin, tendon, ligaments, and bones of animals which may not have been slaughtered according to halal practice) or Rennet, derived from calves stomachs and used in cheese making. Whey powder is produced when cheese is made using rennet. If rennet is taken from animals slaughted according to Islamic law it is halal, but abstinence from rennet is often advised to be on the safe side.

Joanna Sugden

Posted by Joanna Sugden on February 22, 2008 in Haram products Times

Noor wrote:
Turkish Delight

How ironic...

It would be good to get those classified by reason. For hanafi's it is allowed to consume rennet, as mention in the mag and also:

EDIT according to the same lot there is nothing wrong:

take it with a pinch of salt if you like.

*Shock*

No Way..!!!

but but.. alcohol in perfume and food is used as an emulsifier (for those who dont know what emulsifier is: a substance which stops the other mixtures in a product from seperating)..

so technically.. it is not haraam.. and + its not the actual alcohol is it.. isnt it ethanol? the distilled version created by fermentation?!

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

[b]Whats left that we cant eat?![/b]

Noor wrote:

Nutella Hazelnut Chocolate Spread, Ferrero Rocher Chocolates, Bounty Milk Miniatures; Celebration; Funsize – Mars, Milky Way, Snickers; Galaxy Caramel Swirls and M&M’s Peanut, Milky Way Crispy Rolls, Milky Way; Twix Kingsize, Aero – Milk chocolate, Orange, Peppermint; Animal Bar; Black Magic – Caramel, Hazel Cluster, Hazel in Caramel; Blue Ribband; Breakaway – Milk Camarac and Milk Chocolate; Caramac; Dairy Box – Almond Fayre, Autumn Hazelnut, Caramel Classic, Country Fudge, Nut Swirl, Strawberry Fool, Toffee Cup, Turkish Delight, Vanilla Truffle, Wafer Sandwich; Golden Cup; Kit Kat; Lion Bar; Matchmakers – Coconut, Mint, Orange; Milkybar White Chocolate Mini Eggs; Munchies; Quality Street – Caramel Cup, Coconut Éclair, Dairy Fudge, Fruit & Nut Delight, Hazelnut Éclair, Hazelnut in Caramel, Milk chocolate Hazelnut, Noisette Triangle, Toffee Deluxe, Toffee Fingers, Vanilla Octagon; Rolo Bar; Rolo; Smarties – orange only; Walnut whip – Vanilla; Yorkie – Milk Chocolate, Nutter, Raisin & Biscuit. Kraft Singles Cheese Food Slices

[b]
All the ones above are the chocolates i love!

Sad

[..*upset*..][/b]

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

xSmurfy786x wrote:
isnt it ethanol? the distilled version created by fermentation?!

Ethanol is haraam at least for consumption. The other alcohols are not necessarily so. perfumes etc do not use ethanol. I think some brands may use propanol.

You wrote:
xSmurfy786x wrote:
isnt it ethanol? the distilled version created by fermentation?!

Ethanol is haraam at least for consumption. The other alcohols are not necessarily so. perfumes etc do not use ethanol. I think some brands may use propanol.

Achaaa... thnx 4 tellin me... Smile
perfumes use alcohol denat.. is that wrong?

yah as long as you don't drink them.

It is allowed.

It is denaturalised alcohol - alcohol (which may or may not have been ethanol) that has been chemically altered to stop possibility of it being used for beverages. So IMO it could come under the same category as things like vinegar (which has been used by the Prophet (saw), so you can call it a sunnah to use it.)

They use it to avoid paying extra taxes.

Either I am really good, or Google is...

Achaaa... Thnx 4 thee info Nooori and You

Google's Good Blum 3

Nahh Im Messing..

Course YOU Are..

Why do some people pronounce 'crisps' as 'crips'?

I wanna punch them when they do that, and I am usually not a violent person.

would they be the same people who say 'she learned me to read'?

laila wrote:
'she learned me to read'?

Awww that was awfully kind of her.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Pages