Have you ever been approached by airport security for being "suspicious" ?

Yes
13% (3 votes)
Yes
13% (3 votes)
No
29% (7 votes)
No
29% (7 votes)
Other (explain)
8% (2 votes)
Other (explain)
8% (2 votes)
Total votes: 24

How do you guys even begin to deal with this airport security issue? Has anybody here been attacked by airport security?

Edited

[b][color=indigo]Dave ur one funny guy, u crack me up![/color][/b]
Lol

"Odysseus" wrote:

Deleted by Admin - it was about searching...

Why do you say that?

There have been al-qaeda agents found in the US military and there are hispanic muslims in America.

i'm sorry to hear what happened Dave but i understand why you did what you did, a lot of men would have done the same. I hope you don't get charged with anything.

I've not been stopped yet but i'm expecting it someday. My experience is the opposite. I went through security and they didn't even ask me to remove my face veil :? Granted it was a domestic flight but that's not the point. How come they ask me to remove it in one airport, but on arrival to my destination they never ask me to remove it. In fact the check out lady seemed kinder intimidated, maybe she didn't want to appear as if she were discriminating against me, what with all the stuff going on. But i thght this is ridiculous if she's not checking me properly how many other ppl isn't she checking properly so as not to "offend"?

I mean this lady checked my passport and then looked at my mother in law who is over 65 and said oh ok that matches. I said erm no that's my passport you checked my mother in laws passport already! i'm in my mid twenties i seriously don't look that ancient loooool. I shouldn't laugh coz it's a serious problem. In the end i began removing the veil without being asked, coz i didn't want to be seen as getting special treatment by other passengers standing nearby.

Odysseus. That guy was probably doing his job. Why get angry at him.

I think they should have women to check women, and men to check men.

In that way, husbands or fathers would not get angry at anyone.

Anyway, last year I too was stopped at the airport.

I was carrying a load of pirate DVDs. All latest stuff.
Some of them were not even in cinema yet.

Naturally I was looking a bit nervous. And this guy came out of nowhere and stopped me.

He took me to side and asked me to open my bag.

I though, oh shit, this guy is not going to let me take anything now.

He asked me whats all this stuff. I said movies.

He asked me why I did not bother to buy the originals.

I thought lets be honest with him.

So, I tried to reason with the guy.

I said did you know in England one DVD costs 12 pounds or more.

I told him there is no way I would be pay that much at HMV or Virgin.

He knew that in Pakistan I had bought these for 50p each.

As you may know 50p is a lot of money in Pakistan.

He thought for a while and then let me go.

He could have had me arrested. But I guess he too did not like the high prices that movie industry charges on DVDs.

Nice dude.

dave, you done good.

i would do the time, rather than letting some prick touch up my mrs.

i say fight your case to the end, i'm sure only women are allowed to search women? the guy sounded like a wa*ker, i hope that punch landed good.

[b][i]Round and round the Ka'bah,
Like a good Sahabah,
One step, Two step,
All the way to jannah[/i][/b]

Shame it had to come to blows. Those guys probably didn't like someone talking back to them and not letting them "interview" whoever they wanted to. I suppose if the case goes to court the security guards will have to say why they wanted to talk to your wife and what was so "suspicious" about her.

I was stopped at an airport once. It was 3 weeks before 9/11. I was returning from Pakistan alone. I don't think I helped matters by saying that 'No, I didn't pack my own bag' - I was being honest.

Good luck Dave.

Not been through an airport since 2001, so no idea how bad it is atm.

But I am certain checks on females are done by females in the uk. Is it not the same there?

Furst time you have shown your angry side. It sounds cool.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

No offence Odysseus, but I was laughing my head off reading your post. I think you're a brilliant guy, good on you. Although I am a little worried for you.

Just think, what if you hadn't been with your wife........

Lol, you must stand like you're going to kill anyone who dares look at your wife - I think they were trying to test you. I'm sure here only women are allowed to search women, and men only search men - I hope so. And you were there to greet your friends, you werent even travelling!

I haven't experienced anything like that, but I was really worried when my older brother went Pakistan this year. He hadnt been for over 12 years, so was worried it may look a bit suspicious. On the day of his flight he showed me his passport picture and that worried me even more. It was almost 10 years old, so of course he had changed loads since and looked nothing like it. Plus, he lost all his hair a couple of years ago and it dramatically changed his appearance. Surprisingly, he had no problem.

From my experience, Pakistan's a bit different, normally if you hand them a tenner they're alright. But I was seriously worried when my mum went last year and my stupid sisters decided to give her a massive list of CD's, DVD's and PS2 games to get. They handed her an empty 50 CD spindle case, told her to get rid of the cases and just put them in there. If she was asked any questions at the airport, she could say my little bro had taken them from here to pass the time while in Pakistan. But oh no, my mum decided to do what the shopkeeper had suggested. She put them in an empty dinner set box, with a few suits to make it heavier and then taped the box up again. I almost had a heart attack when I found out, but the airport staff didnt suspect a thing.

I also, didn’t realise you had an angry side….you remind me of dad, he’s ALWAYS having kick offs with airport staff at Heathrow….I get so embarrassed when I’m with him and am always trying to calm him down.

Once it was my fault-I had a metal bangle on…so it wasn’t a biggie that they wanted to check me further cos the barrier kept on beeping…..also, a couple of ladies checked me over, in a side room....dunno why this doesnt happen in your end. Thats dodgy.

Another time, on his way to USA he kicked up a fuss cos they wanted him to remove his shoes…..and on another incident on his way to the USA, he caused the airplane to do a U-turn and crash land in Glasgow, cos he wasn’t allowing them to do their “random security checks” on him.

I’ve always found it easier to conform rather then kick up a fuss.

Dave, your best defense isn't what you just wrote.

[size=8]*EDITED BY 100MAN IN RELUCTANT DEFERENCE*[/size]

[size=10]I feel I'm gonna move on back down south
you know where the water tastes like cherry wine[/size]

What he just wrote is not a defence at all. It is letting off steam.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Quite.

ok then.

btw I have also been stopped for looking suspicious, endured a thorough check of my luggage and been extensively checked. No big deal.

Say that after they give you a cavity search!

:shock:

and ftr, not happened to me. Hopefully never will.

You answer the questions, let them do their work.

I do not think I have an issue with random checks.

But then again I will never iknow til I am stopped.

and after that probably wether how often I get 'randomly' stopped.

Well that couldnt have gone more beautifully with that possible problem i had about that alleged airport thing at that place that could be anywhere - it's resolved - although I am not allowed to talk about it (thus the edited first post). Miraculous how well the law can work for you sometimes.

So here is the big questionmark... lets set up a hypothetical - say your wife is accosted and then they attempt to illegally search her at an airport and if you fight back you will face criminal charges and a jury trial by 12 of your "peers" *n1,* and trust your fate to the same government that assaulted you to begin with!

What do you do? Go ahead and ground him then do the tazer drag or politely allow them to "do their job" then file a complaint later?

I really do not understand how patient you guys would have to be to "see the big picture" in that situation - MS I completely understand your Father, I think though it might be a little embarassing he is right (assuming the guards are just abusing their power). See I was under the impression for the most part security had enough checks on their power to go about their job professionally and there were no abuses. Thats clearly not the case all the time. The frustration is next level.

Admin do me a favor and edit any posts that directly describe or quote the situation I was referring to earlier. I highly doubt any interested party would know or care about internet forums but its better to be safe than sorry.

n1. Note: The word "peers" is here defined as "12 whos only thing in common with you is the country name on your passport and have an automatic prejudice against you because you are a "Moozleem" and your wife is wearing a "Jihad" (yes thats a joke) and you are both under suspicion of terrorism largely because the guy who just abused his power said so"

Unfortunately we have to grin and bear it.

Otherwise we would be 'uncooperative mozlems'.

"Admin" wrote:
Unfortunately we have to grin and bear it.

Otherwise we would be 'uncooperative mozlems'.

Well that's just going to feul extremism

And I don't know if you caught the last bit in my previous post but please remove any direct quotes or descriptions in connection with my initial post.

"Odysseus" wrote:
And I don't know if you caught the last bit in my previous post but please remove any direct quotes or descriptions in connection with my initial post.

done (I think)

I believe Dave had a right to refuse that, he sounded like a total pervert and you have every right to be angry....maybe beatin him up wasn't the best thing but then again when your angry like that, it's hardly surprising.

My sis was stopped and proper interogated, I felt like crying for her. She had nothing to hide so she told them everythin straight up. The guy kicked up a fuss coz she visited Syria and to him it was odd to go to Syria for holiday as it's a terrorist country :roll: even though she had been to turkey. It was a spiritual tour for god sake!

It was weird though, he wouldn't tell her his name and said we will contact you :? An asian guy standing next to me said "Good thing I dont have a beard".

When she headed to Canada she had no probs.

Admin,

It is not done. I'll do it myself, reluctantly, because that is disgusting to me and a likely subjective, retrospective distortion. Might depend what's at stake and what extraneous circumstances were not discussed, is why I will be generous. But from what I can tell it is not deserved. Some people never learn the value of accountability. They have power and they abuse it. They can't be trusted. But maybe it is never too late.

One time I was at the airport and a menial member of staff who happened to be Muslim inconvenienced me and the people I was waiting on quite seriously. I set him straight, with great politeness. He had been thoughtless, not hostile. Then as he departed he wished me dead. I heard correctly. He came out with a different explanation of what he had said that was not credible, that did not make any kind of sense. I complained and I believe he was fired. Good. He shouldn't be working around tourists and other visitors. Just a story.

"Angel" wrote:
I believe Dave had a right to refuse that, he sounded like a total pervert and you have every right to be angry....maybe beatin him up wasn't the best thing but then again when your angry like that, it's hardly surprising.

My sis was stopped and proper interogated, I felt like crying for her. She had nothing to hide so she told them everythin straight up. [b]The guy kicked up a fuss coz she visited Syria and to him it was odd to go to Syria for holiday as it's a terrorist country :roll: even though she had been to [u]turkey[/u]. It was a spiritual tour for god sake![/b]

It was weird though, he wouldn't tell her his name and said we will contact you :? An asian guy standing next to me said "Good thing I dont have a beard".

When she headed to Canada she had no probs.

"yashmaki" wrote:
i'm sorry to hear what happened Dave but i understand why you did what you did, a lot of men would have done the same. I hope you don't get charged with anything.

I've not been stopped yet but i'm expecting it someday. My experience is the opposite. I went through security and they didn't even ask me to remove my face veil :? Granted it was a domestic flight but that's not the point. How come they ask me to remove it in one airport, but on arrival to my destination they never ask me to remove it. In fact the check out lady seemed kinder intimidated, maybe she didn't want to appear as if she were discriminating against me, what with all the stuff going on. But i thght this is ridiculous if she's not checking me properly how many other ppl isn't she checking properly so as not to "offend"?

[b]I mean this lady checked my passport and then looked at my mother in law who is over 65 and said oh ok that matches. I said erm no that's my passport you checked my mother in laws passport already![/b] i'm in my mid twenties i seriously don't look that ancient loooool. I shouldn't laugh coz it's a serious problem. In the end i began removing the veil without being asked, coz i didn't want to be seen as getting special treatment by other passengers standing nearby.

Thanks ladies,

I emboldened and underlined two lines of thought that really describe a central problem with Airport security these days which I think I saw in my situation - personal discretion on the part of guards very often means complete and total incompetence. [i]Visually[/i] checking passports is a very simple and reasonable measure - anybody would understand that, likewise double checking that your information is correct (specifically about the country a person is coming from) is a relatively simple and extremely important matter.

I think people understand certain private invasions like asking to doublecheck your face against your passport or making sure you know what country somebody is coming from are reasonable measures, and I think are quite effective. Randomly giving people the third degree and searching people whimsically which you or i might consider last measures - to be used when there is genuine suspicion are not only needlessly humiliating but terrible wastes of security resources.

The fact of the matter seems that abuse of authority is as dangerous to public security as it is to personal privacy.

"The Great 100" wrote:
Admin,

It is not done. I'll do it myself, reluctantly, because that is disgusting to me and a likely subjective, retrospective distortion. Might depend what's at stake and what extraneous circumstances were not discussed, is why I will be generous. But from what I can tell it is not deserved. Some people never learn the value of accountability. They have power and they abuse it. They can't be trusted. But maybe it is never too late.

One time I was at the airport and a menial member of staff who happened to be Muslim inconvenienced me and the people I was waiting on quite seriously. I set him straight, with great politeness. He had been thoughtless, not hostile. Then as he departed he wished me dead. I heard correctly. He came out with a different explanation of what he had said that was not credible, that did not make any kind of sense. I complained and I believe he was fired. Good. He shouldn't be working around tourists and other visitors. Just a story.

You're fishing.

I changed my previous comment for you. On the basis of what you originally posted I am definitely standing by my criticism.

"Odysseus" wrote:

Edited

what am i missing?

dude incase u dont remember there is something in the PM department for u

Quote:
That which was hard to endure is sweet to remember

i agree Dirol

[color=red]"The best of people are those who live longest and excel in their deeds, whereas the worst of people are those who live longest and corrupt their deeds." [Tirmidhî, Sahîh] [/color]

"TEX" wrote:

what am i missing?

The short version is somebody [i]attempted[/i] to use his position to feel up my wife, so now he breathes through a hose, criminal charges were filed, I sued, charges were dropped and they begged for a settlement which I graciously accepted, along with something along the lines of a gag agreement.

My question is about how Muslims deal with airport security abuses when options available to me are not available to them, and whether anyone here has had to deal with such a scenario themselves.

Quote:
dude incase u dont remember there is something in the PM department for u

I have a lot of PMs, I have very little time these days and do not usually have enough time to check them all, maybe toward the end of the month after exams.

"Odysseus" wrote:
...after exams.

good luck

Pages