Have you read the QURAN in a languige you understand?

no
5% (1 vote)
no
5% (1 vote)
Some of it
30% (6 votes)
Some of it
30% (6 votes)
Most of it
10% (2 votes)
Most of it
10% (2 votes)
yes
5% (1 vote)
yes
5% (1 vote)
Total votes: 20

Hove you read the QURAN in a languige you understand?

And which translater?

I like Mamaduke Picthalls and Muhammad Asad.

[color=red]"The best of people are those who live longest and excel in their deeds, whereas the worst of people are those who live longest and corrupt their deeds." [Tirmidhî, Sahîh] [/color]

oh yeah and do let me know what you have chosen.

So salaf (btw nice name!) since ur da only one on line i assume you voted 'some of it'?

and which translater was it?

[color=red]"The best of people are those who live longest and excel in their deeds, whereas the worst of people are those who live longest and corrupt their deeds." [Tirmidhî, Sahîh] [/color]

"02cute4u" wrote:

i have voted for english , as it just been over a year when Allah swt put in my heart this beautiful thought as well as reading the glorious arabic Qu'ran how even more glourious it would become if i was reading with meaning and understanding .and more recently again beloved shayke ul islam as helping us out with 5 daliy tips in what we should do in order to maintain spirituallity alongside tranqillty one should by selecting a few veres from teh holy qu'ran recite them and then pondering upon them.

"02cute4u" wrote:

sorry i hope u dont mind i given my reason aswell.

A rose protects its beauty with thorns..a woman protects hers with a veil

ive recently started reading the Quran in english translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali

)

To be beautiful is to expect nothing in return.

"Snoopy" wrote:
ive recently started reading the Quran in english translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali

Smile

The best translation... I think that is the one my King Fahd version uses, its worth it to get it from the royal printing offices because it gives you some well thought out footnotes and the arabic as well.

"Odysseus" wrote:
my King Fadh version

Ha ha...... pardon me I had to laugh at that.

"salaf" wrote:
"Odysseus" wrote:
my King Fadh version

Ha ha...... pardon me I had to laugh at that.

Hey laugh all you want, but its easier than "the King Fahd Complex for the Printing of the Holy Qur'an English Translation of the Meaning of the Noble Qur'an"

i've got that version aswell Dave, and i think it's one of the best aswell coz of the explanations it provides.

Anyone ever read Thomas Cleary "The Essential Koran" it explains certain key passages from the Quran, rather than the entire Quran. Particularly good for novices and non muslims. It's the first translation i ever read, it's amazing. It's a bit of a pain the way it's presented but other than that well worth the buy. Once you've used it you can pass it on to someone else.

Yes, and it was the best thing I've ever done in my life. I've read it once completely and am around half way through it again. It is in Arabic and English (English being the language i understand) and it's by Abdullah Yusuf Ali.

You do get to learn some basic Arabic words coz the text and translation are side by side. I had to read it in English after a scholar on TV was encouraging people to at least read it in a language they understand, if they can't understand Arabic.

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

has any one read Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ul-Din Al-Hilali & Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan translation of the Quran?

it is considered the most accurate translation availbale apperently....

btw way guys can you please tell me what you voted for...

i'm disapointed :?

i thought more ppl would partcipate

Salam

There are many English translations of God's Book out there.

I like Arberry from 1955.

His poetry flows like the wind through
long black hair of a beautiful woman.

Simply exquisite.

Yusuf Ali and Marmaduke Pickthall translations are
good and accurate, hence worth a serious study.

Pickthall is the only version approved by the
Al Azhar Theological University as the standard translation of the Holy Quran.

Muhammad Ali and Shakir are also ok, somewhat.

Now to the bad ones:

Hilali and Muhsin Khan translations are a joke.
They tend to twists and add to almost everything God has to say.

And King Fahd version is an American approved translation.
Therefore, no scholar worth the name uses it.

Daryabadi, Rashad Khalifa, Sarwar, Asad, are all childish translations.

The rest are by non muslims, and therefore,
they are only good for non muslims to read.

Omrow

I like Asads

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam
Omrow

[color=magenta]Wa-alaykum salaam

yeah i agree those translations are the best ones, they are the ones i use [/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam

There are many English translations of God's Book out there.

Yup, it breaks the world record for the book wid the most interpratations. Dirol

Quote:
I like Arberry from 1955.

i haven't read it

Quote:
His poetry flows like the wind through
long black hair of a beautiful woman.

very poetic omrow Smile

Quote:
Simply exquisite.

ok

Quote:

i aint to keen on Yusif tho

Quote:

JUST that ONE? :shock:

Quote:

I heard Muhammad Ali's was good, shakir is a bit iffy

Quote:
Now to the bad ones:

Mohsins is not that bad! :roll:

Quote:
And King Fahd version is an American approved translation.
Therefore, no scholar worth the name uses it.

who in america approved it?

Quote:
Daryabadi, Rashad Khalifa, Sarwar, Asad, are all childish translations.

Asad's is good dont diss him! :evil:

Sarwar- not read it yet

Khalifa- for a chritian zionist it is not bad, loads of ppl had to help him with it too :roll: , however there names were removed. Fool

Daryabadi- not read it yet

Quote:
The rest are by non muslims, and therefore,
they are only good for non muslims to read.

no need to be arrogent :roll:

can u PROVE they wont muslims?

Asad converted to islam, he was a jew, i really reccomend his book "the road to mecca"

anyway y are all these translater men!? (apart from samira, even she did not do it on her own, she did it wid her daddy :roll: )

the latest translation released is done by an american woman

i wud be interested to see how she translated it.

wasalam

"02cute4u" wrote:
Asad converted to islam, he was a jew, i really reccomend his book "the road to mecca"

true, that was a top book.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

and which translation do u like Assiyah?

Have u reads Asads?

"02cute4u" wrote:
has any one read Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ul-Din Al-Hilali & Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan translation of the Quran?

"Omrow" wrote:

I've got that, my mate recommended it.

I started reading it recently, should I carry on?

"02cute4u" wrote:

Have u reads Asads?

my favourite is The Majestic Quran, put together by a few people, including Abdul-Hakim Murad and Dr. Mostafa al-Badawi. it costs £60 but is definitely worth it.

yes i have read some parts of Asad's translation.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"02cute4u" wrote:

"Omrow" wrote:

I've got that, my mate recommended it.

I started reading it recently, should I carry on?

yeah, but like with any translation do take it with a grain of salt, no translation is perfect, god's book cannot be translated - only interpreted, u can get word-for-word translations if u want a more litral understanding, but even they fetter the meanings of the quran.

But iqra means understand not just recite Wink

"*DUST*" wrote:
"02cute4u" wrote:

Have u reads Asads?

my favourite is The Majestic Quran, put together by a few people, including Abdul-Hakim Murad and Dr. Mostafa al-Badawi. it costs £60 but is definitely worth it.

that is day light robbery! :shock:

if it costs more then a tenner, i wud never get it....

anywayz wot do u find so great about it that makes it worth paying a whopping £60? :o

i haven't read the quran in a language i understand. yet.

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

"02cute4u" wrote:
"*DUST*" wrote:
"02cute4u" wrote:

Have u reads Asads?

that is day light robbery! :shock:

if it costs more then a tenner, i wud never get it....

anywayz wot do u find so great about it that makes it worth paying a whopping £60? :o

lol, if we can save up to buy shoes, trainers, jackets or whatever material thing, surely we can save up to by [i]the best[/i] english translation of the Quran? Wink
whats great about it? well its in common english for starters, easy for everyone to understand. and it has useful explanatory footnotes. but you have to read it and see how great it is for yourself.

"zara" wrote:

is u gonna consider reading it in ur own language?

"TEX" wrote:
"zara" wrote:

is u gonna consider reading it in ur own language?

sometime in the future...

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.