The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Prince there's an answer on sunnipath which says if card games involve conjecture then it's not permitted. If they don't involve conjecture it's permitted obviously without the gambling element. Look deeper Wink

conjecture being?

i read a few answers from sunnipath, from which i gathered that it was ok to play on conditions - which aint a prob for me

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

guessing.

this answer very confusing to me but look:

The rule that is distinguishes permissible playing (from the impermissible) is: that which is based on and begun on conjecture and guessing is haram, however if after it is begun, the game depends on thought and reflection such as backgammon and all that is a part of it like the dice used in it (backgammon), all of it is haram.

As for that which is not based on conjecture and guessing, it is not haram such as chess.

So the questioner should look at the basis and starting point of playing cards.

If it is based on conjecture and guessing, it is haram, if not, then it isn’t. Some of the most venerable scholars such as the authors of the book, ‘al-Fiqh al Minhaji `ala madhhab al-imam al-Shafi’I’, have stated the unlawfulness of playing cards, because its basis is what I just mentioned, conjecture and guessing, and Allah knows best.

Amjad Rasheed

(Translated by Shazia Ahmad)

Ref:

further links:
"Is playing card games permissible if no gambling is involved?"

"Playing Chess or Cards"

thats Sha'afi fiqh

i read all the Hanafi ones, and under conditions they are allowed

but not blackgammon....whatever that is

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

oh didn't notice yes the one posted is shafi;i sorry.

the other two are hanafi though, they say no?

Q - There have been some posts on this net concerning the impermissibility of playing chess or cards. I don’t have any problems with these rulings and have heard them before but the reasoning given kind of troubled me. It was basically said that (please correct if I am wrong) they are haram since they are waste of time. It seems as though many things we commonly do can be considered a waste of times but not necessarily haram such as watching a sports match, browsing the internet, sleeping. So would these be activities be haram as well then or so there some other specific reason or proof for cards and chess being impermissible. For example on the Shafii net concerning chess it says: As Imam Nawawi mentions in his Minhaj al-Talibin, playing chess is detestable (makruh) (al-Siraj al-Wahhaj, 580 (Dar al-Kutub al-`Ilmiyyah)), meaning that you are not punished for doing it and you are rewarded for avoiding it. Concerning cards it says So the questioner should look at the basis and starting point of playing cards. If it is based on conjecture and guessing, it is haram, if not, then it isn't...I don’t ask this question to reject the rulings given in any way but rather to understand the reasoning behind it better.

A-

Wa alaikum salaam wa rahmatullah,

The basis of the prohibition is the saying of Allah’s Messenger, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him:

“Whosoever plays with backgammon is as though he dipped his hands in the flesh and blood of a swine”. (Sahih Muslim, No. 2260).

If one looks towards the relevant sayings of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), one may classify games into three categories:

Those that have been clearly and explicitly prohibited, such as backgammon in the above quoted Hadith. Those that have been clearly permitted or encouraged, such as archery. Games that have no clear mention in the primary texts of Hadith.

The scholars mention that this third category of games will be assessed based on how engrossed individuals become when engaged in them. If it is to the point where normally one neglects one’s worldly and other worldly obligations, particularly the prayer, the ruling of category 1 will apply and the game will be deemed prohibitively disliked. In such cases the ruling will be that of general impermissibility based on the inevitable nature of the game. Therefore, even when one takes all precautions to not neglect religious and other worldly obligations, the game will still be impermissible to play, since the established Fiqhi principle states “the inevitable is considered actual”.

If engrossment is not to this degree (and the game has not been prohibited by primary text), then subject to strict conditions, playing it would be permissible, such as many sports which are essentially permissible e.g. hockey and football.

As for chess, according to the Hanafi scholars it falls under the first category based on the few narrations reported concerning its prohibition.

[Ahkam al-Quran, Mufti Mohammad Shafi]

And Allah alone gives success.

=================

not my usual source of information, but for the time being that will do

i will find out at the end of this month from my teacher

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Besides this question has been asked already.

I believe Maulana Omrow al-Moron provided the answer.

Could anyone plz explain the history behind the Palestinian/Israeli crisis? ie How was Israel formed, how is it illegal etc? The Qur'an mentions Israel even tho it was formed in 1947? How can this be?

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

"Allahuakbar" wrote:
Could anyone plz explain the history behind the Palestinian/Israeli crisis? ie How was Israel formed, how is it illegal etc? The Qur'an mentions Israel even tho it was formed in 1947? How can this be?

Used to be a Phoenician colony (possibly their homeland) the greeks called this "Philistia" and the jews "Canaan", was conquered by the Jews and became "Israel" also called "Zion" which split into "judea" and "israel" the assyrians wiped out Israel, leaving only Judea which was then conquered by the greeks, who were ousted, then the Romans who called the land "Palestina" the Jews revolted and were kicked out, went into diaspora, the romans converted to Christianity, some Jews were let back in through a kind of appartheid system designed to make them convert, the arab muslims then conquered the land followed by the Turks, Mongols, Crusaders, arabs, Turks and finally the British after the Turks picked the wrong team in world war 1.

The Jews asked for a homeland for jews this is called "zionism" suggested the frontier province Palestine because of their historic connection to it, the Brits gave it to them, they kicked out the arab occupants who didn't know what was going on, the arab world attacked back, failed, Israel won the war and took even more land, a little while later the egyptians attacked and took back sinai, a few peace agreements later and we are in a no formal war situation.

Tada!

Can someone refresh my memory and tell me about missing three juma prayers in a row....

the heat has gotten to me man.

"naj" wrote:
Can someone refresh my memory and tell me about missing three juma prayers in a row....

Friday is one of the most important of prayers for a Muslim. There are numerous warning for those who abandon the Friday Prayers. One hadith states that anyone who misses three Friday prayers consecutively a seal will be placed on his heart (Abu Dawud). Allah says:

"O you who believe, when the call is made for the Prayer on Friday, hasten to the remembrance of God and leave off all business. That is better for you, if you but know. When the Prayer is finished then disperse in the land and seek of God's grace, and remember God much that you may prosper" (Qur'an 62:9).

Therefore, it is prohibited to abandon the Friday prayer directly or to voluntarily place oneself in a position where the Friday prayer would be missed. Situations of extreme need are exempted from this, for instance, a case of severe illness.

Quote:
Missing three Jumu`ahs
Answered by Mufti Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari

What should one do if he misses three jumu'ah prayers in a row due to lunch time meetings at work? Has he lost his shahadah? He is not chronically negligent of jumua'h but it just so happened that he did miss three in a row out this once.

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Friday prayer is personally obligatory (Fard Ayn) upon every Muslim. It has been established from the Qur’an, Sunnah and the consensus of the Ummah. It is one of the most important features of Islam. The one who rejects it is a Kafir and the one who misses it without a valid excuse is a Fasiq.

Allah Almighty says:

“O, you who believe! When the call for Friday prayer is made, hasten towards the remembrance of Allah (Prayer and Khutba) and leave all transactions. This is best for you if you know.” (Surah al-Jumu’ah, V.9)

Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Umar and Sayyiduna Abu Hurayra (Allah be pleased with them both) narrate that they heard the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) say on the planks of his pulpit: “People must cease from abandoning the Friday prayers or Allah will seal their hearts and then they will be among the negligent.” (Sahih Muslim, no. 865)

Abu Ja’d al-Dhamri (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Whosoever misses three Jumu’ah prayers by taking the matter lightly, Allah will seal his heart.” (Sunan Abu Dawud, Sunan Tirmidhi, Sunan Nasa’i, Sunan Ibn Majah and al-Darami)

The importance of the Friday prayer is evident from the abovementioned. A Muslim should, therefore, never attempt to miss it. To miss even one Jumu’ah prayer without a legally valid excuse is highly sinful, and to miss three is totally unacceptable, with Allah Most High sealing the heart of the transgressor due to which no good enters his heart.

However, missing the Jumu’ah prayer does not entail one leaving Islam, as is the case with all unlawful and sinful acts. According to the scholars of Ahl al-Sunnah wa al-Jama’ah, a sin does not take one out of the fold of Islam, rather one becomes sinful.

Thus, leaving three Jumu’ahs will not be considered disbelief (kufr), in that one will not have to repeat the Shahadah and renew one’s Iman. However, if one rejects the obligation of the Friday prayer (Mustaheel) or takes the matter lightly in a mocking way (istikhfaf), then one will come out of the fold of Islam. (See the major books on Islamic Creed and the commentaries of the major Hadith collections)

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari
Darul Iftaa, Leicester, UK

Ref:

Beast wrote:

I believe Maulana Omrow al-Moron provided the answer.

Omrow wrote:
Al Morani.

LMAO

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Fifi- did you read through this whole thread?

NO lol, just a few comments on the first page and a few on the last page.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

This is a pretty old thread you dug up. Why?

2005 topic being resurrected it 2010.

Whatever the reason, you have the power to bring the dead back to life.

Sorry to expose your secret.

Omrow wrote:
This is a pretty old thread you dug up. Why?

I was bored, well im sure i could've found something productive to do but it would require effort and i be lazy...

Omrow wrote:

2005 topic being resurrected it 2010.

Whatever the reason, you have the power to bring the dead back to life.

Sorry to expose your secret.

HEY! no point saying sorry now is there?! either don't do it in the first place or don't apologise!

lol Smile

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:

I was bored, well im sure i could've found something productive to do but it would require effort and i be lazy...

That sentence sounds awfully familiar....

?

I meant to do all that, but I get you now. Good advice. Thanks Power.

By the way, I dont think you are lazy.

It was indeed productive what you did. This makes you a lazy success !

And, F.B.S.

yes, spit it out. What do you mean?

lazy success! lol

why do u call her f.b.s and not s.b.f?

Because saying "sister who is bad and fat", is definately offensive;
but "fat bad sister" is necessarily not.

Omrow, you're losing your touch. You feel tame compared to before.

Have you got hitched? 0-o

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Omrow wrote:
Because saying "sister who is bad and fat", is definately offensive;

u should try not offending at all Wink

You wrote:
Omrow, you're losing your touch. You feel tame compared to before.

Have you got hitched? 0-o

what nonsense are u suggesting?? that Omrow is some sort of mousey-man who can be changed by a woman so easily and quickly?!

Biggrin

Omrow wrote:
Because saying "Sister who is Bad and Fat", is definately offensive;

You're not very original with this, are you?

See if you can come up with something that fits with SBF without all the middle words.

Pages