habitually/compulsively occupied with or involved in sumthin

- a definition of 'addiction'

pretty scary when you look at it that way :shock:

Have been thinking about addictions, i know most of us are addicted to something or another

what are you addicted to? something you cant get enough off, or find yourself doing regurly like an addiction?

Are all addictions bad? is it ok to be addicted to something?

Ive always tried to keep myself away from being addicted to things....i dont see addictions as a healthy thing

but upon pondering about it, i do find myself addicted to the following things:

1 - Prison break - i get cravings for it
2 - Football - cant live without checking whats goin on in the football world
3 - bbc website - im always on it
4 - man united - its a topic i get very serios about, sometimes too serious for my own liking...tried to calm down, only footy eh..?
5 - Revival forum - actually not so much as i used to be, ive defo calmed down on it, but i think its creeping back in
6 - Red Devil - an energy drink im currently drinking as i type....beats any other for me

I always try to vary my foods drinks etc so i dont get hukd on one (ive seen people who cant live without red bull and coke etc).....and i dont watch tv so i dont get hooked on something....but prison break is one that im lenient on.

anyways, lets hear your addictions, any you wish to drop, what your views are on them etc etc

I'm an internet addict. I thought maybe putting a few things on a blog would help get it out of me, but it didn't work. Well, I admit it wasn't the most logical theory but that's addiction for you. It's symptomatic of a compulsion to escape my commitments lest I get down about the things I've already put off.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

I wouldn't say I'm addicted to anything, some things I like more than others but it's not really an addiction, is it? If I was to be put in an environment which was completely alien to me, I'm sure I would be able to cope. Might find it hard but I would think I would manage.

I would say that addictions are bad for you, even when it comes to practising Islam. Like the guy who asked the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) that he's going to fast all year round... or the guy who said he would pray all night (I think). And I'm sure we know what the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said.

In a hadith, the Messenger of Allah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said, “Beware of extremism in religion, since those before you were only destroyed by extremism.” (Sunan Nasa’i, Musnad Ahmad and others)

I don't think you can say addictions are bad for you, it depends on what addiction you have, e.g. if someone is addicted to reading Quran then how can that be bad? In those two ahadith you mentioned, it doesn't say those were addictions. We're taught to do things in moderation and if someone doesn't see their addiction as extreme and can handle it, nowt is wrong with that.

I'm addicted to the net, nasheeds (naats), chocolate and coke but if was put in a situation where i couldn't get those things i wouldn't go mental.

Addicted to cocaine noor! :shock: lol but i agree with what noor said somethings are okay to be addicted to but kept in moderation.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

im addicted to nasheeds.. i cant stand english or indian it does my head in.. i like meaningfull lyrics.. and arabic nasheeds coz they sound soo wonderfu even thou i dont know what they mean (well i do 1c i read the translation of them on net lol)

and chocolate..!! i have 2 have chocolate atleast 1c in a day other wize ill be annoyedd haha

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

Meaningful songs like Yusuf islam, the chill peppers have some good songs and zain bikha amongst others i tend to listen to.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Addictions are bad for us when they affect us in a bad way. (A weird example) so someone who's addicted to reading the Qur'an, they maybe neglecting their other obligations (eg. not praying on time).

Some people won't see their addiction as being extreme, even after being told by someone. Some overweight people for example, are addicted to junk food that they continue to ignore the medical advice which means they'll die because of their addiction (and it has happened). Sometimes, not everyone see's their addiction the same way as other people.

"Irfan.Khan" wrote:
Meaningful songs like Yusuf islam, the chill peppers have some good songs and zain bikha amongst others i tend to listen to.

yusuf islam.. ermmm i dont listen 2 him.. native deen, zain bhikha.. hamza robertson, aashiq e rasool, raihan, shaam, more native deen, 786 Biggrin and rarely sami yusuf.. his latest album was soo musical..

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

No offence we should take this to some other topic.

"MuslimBro" wrote:
Addictions are bad for us when they affect us in a bad way. (A weird example) so someone who's addicted to reading the Qur'an, they maybe neglecting their other obligations (eg. not praying on time).

Thats why you can be addicted but yet use it in moderation however in this scenario you have to think why the person is addicted to recitation of the greatest book ever written and that might be love of islam which should make him pray so i doubt he will neglect his prayers or pray them late but i get the jist of what your saying.

Like i said, it depends on what addiction you have. I'm somewhat addicted to the net and this addiction hasn't caused me any problems, in fact it’s benefited me! It's all about moderation and it depends on the person and their level of self control.

erm my main addiction is music. I have tried real hard to give it up and there have been times when i have gone without it for ages but il be down in the dumps or theres summit bothering me and il just stick in my headphones.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

This will sound a little embarrassing but I got an addiction...

very hard to control... Its like, you know... controlling my life.

I am addicted to air. There. I have said it. Just can't live without it.

The few times i have tried, I kept gasping for it.

So much so, I have given up fighting the urge to breathe!

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I was like that before, I HAD to listen to music every single day but I managed to kick the habit.

Get rid of your music collection (if you have any). I had hundreds of songs and I deleted them from my comp and also threw away the CD's (after scratching them).

Don't carry headphones (in the case of phones), or a mp3 player with you. If you do then make sure you only have Quranic recitations, nasheeds/naats or Islamic talks in them.

Also use your spare time wisely, when you have nothing to do you may decide to put some music on.... don't. Do something else, like cooking or cleaning :twisted: ..... only kidding. Just keep yourself occupied.

When you have free time read durood sharif the benefits are huge.

I was addicted to Halo 2 when it originally came out. I had to play on it for hours... I had to complete the game as a result i neglected alot of things. But once i did complete it... ive not gone back.
As a result i thought the same thing would happen if I bought Halo 3... so i decided not to. Theres more to life than Halo.

I was addicted to fizzy drinks. I used to have a bottle like everyday. Now ive managed to reduce it to one a week.

Back in BLACK

i 4got to mention, im probably near-addicted to Pro Evolution Soccer on the playstation

even having a wii with all its cool features etc cant stop me from a good old match with the lads/brothers - something about that game, never gets boring.

and i think im addicted to listenin to something all the time wherever i am - it used to be hip hop etc but i did as Muslim bro did, jus got rid of it all and alhamdulillah its worked

but i now listen to naats qawali nasheed and jus a lil bit of devotional music (NFAK) and sum relaxing music with no or lil vocals........jus some chilled out peacefull stuff - i love the bhudda bar tracks Biggrin

Arno Elias - Epic and Dream
Bombay Dub Orchestra - Mumtaz

two tracks im addicted to at the moment...........jus so relaxing listening to them

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

I love playing pro evo with my brothers cousins mates etc it is wicked.

"You" wrote:
This will sound a little embarrassing but I got an addiction...

very hard to control... Its like, you know... controlling my life.

I am addicted to air. There. I have said it. Just can't live without it.

The few times i have tried, I kept gasping for it.

So much so, I have given up fighting the urge to breathe!

Lol

"MuslimBro" wrote:

Also use your spare time wisely, when you have nothing to do you may decide to put some music on.... don't. [b]Do something else, like cooking or cleaning [/b]:twisted: ..... only kidding. Just keep yourself occupied.

That is the problem when im doing something that doesnt require concentration like ironing/washing i need the music on otherwise the boredom kicks in and nothing gets done.

Ive tried the nasheeds but i just lapse back into listening to English music. Not tried listening to Qu'ranic recitations might give that a try.

"Naz" wrote:

Ive tried the nasheeds but i just lapse back into listening to English music. Not tried listening to Qu'ranic recitations might give that a try.

Try Mashari Rashid

(surah al-Mulk)

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"Snoopz" wrote:
I shop regularly but i dont think its an addiction or habit? or isit :?

"Ya'qub" wrote:

Try Mashari Rashid

(surah al-Mulk)

thats beautiful mashallah!

yes shopping can be an addiction or habit

how many of you ladies here shop minimum once or twice a week? window shopping...jus looking around...buying lil things that to be honest, you know you never needed, but it looked pretty and got a lil more space left in my cupboard full of shoes?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

I'm good and not spending money on stuff that i don't really need, tbh that's probably because i don't have much money to spend! As i'm in town almost everyday, i do pop into the shops and if there is something i really, really like i'll buy it.

"Ya'qub" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:

Try Mashari Rashid

(surah al-Mulk)

Thanks.

If anyone can recommend anymore feel free to let me know.