Qibla locator...excellent for travellers!

Do you have to put your laptop facing towards a certain direction? At the present moment it is coming up totally the wrong way.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

The lines seems to be in the wrong direction...

and why does the other end of the line end up in Belgium? Last i knew the Qibla was not in Belgium.

Back in BLACK

mine ends up somewhere in luxemburg? actually on second glance on the border of france and germany.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

apparently I love in a small village called Ladysmith near Minneapolis...cool.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"Ya'qub" wrote:

u love? Biggrin

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

I live in a village called Dervock near Ballymoney in Northern Ireland.

"M4k4v3l1" wrote:
"Ya'qub" wrote:

u love? Biggrin

Yes hes been telling us about this village for a very long time indeed.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

It was spot on for me until I thought I'd test it by changing the position of my monitor.

No change for me i think this website is rubbish good idea but rubbish.

Showed me a place called Bryan in Texas, somewhere between Austin and Houston. When I zoomed out and followed the line, it passed just to the east of a town called Mecca about 20 miles away.

So I typed in part of my address in Manchester and it told me to pray in the direction of the airport, Terminal 2, where you can catch a Saudi Arabian Airlines flight to Jeddah. Genuinely it did.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

If you type something in from the usa it points north east? like i said rubbish.

thats cozzzzz u not typed your post code in at the toppp
it works fine 4 me

What in the blue hell are you on about?

you type your postcode in at the top left hand corner..............
n den it works it out....................
av tried it wid many diffrent places and it seem to be right

Yes i can follow simple instructions i was just wondering why the hell in america it points north east.

because belive it or not, the world isnt flat like you see in your screen. get a 3d model of the globe and then u shud realize when your in america the shortest route to mecca is north east

You do realise that im talking about north america?

"M4k4v3l1" wrote:
because belive it or not, the world isnt flat like you see in your screen. get a 3d model of the globe and then u shud realize when your in america the shortest route to mecca is north east

Using Google Maps and my finger I estimate perhaps 8,000km from Texas to Mecca heading east, 14,000km heading west and about 20,000km heading north north east. Even though my finger isn't calibrated, with differences that large I can't be wrong concluding that the shortest route is straight east. There is categorically no shorter distance than straight east - trace that distance in any other direction and you'll see there's no chance. I just did another experiment to see what happens if you extend that short line until it reaches Mecca or anywhere near the Middle East, and it more than encircles the world. The circumference of earth is about 40,000km so we're talking perhaps 45,000km using the Qibla locator (from Texas) and 8,000km using Google Maps. The locator, however, mentions a distance of only 12,000km, so I don't know what it's doing.

From Manchester it does seem to point in broadly the correct direction. At a glance it still misses, passing north through Iraq, but maybe the earth's curvature accounts for that.

(Now, I'm no expert on which direction you should pray in, and it may not be as simple as the shortest distance.)

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

"Imaani" wrote:
It was spot on for me until I thought I'd test it by changing the position of my monitor.

lol...i don't know whether to laugh or cry at some of the comments on here.

tsmy.org - Innovative solutions for the youth

"tsmy" wrote:
"Imaani" wrote:

lol...i don't know whether to laugh or cry at some of the comments on here.

well as seen as you cant decide i will do it for you.

Cry me a river hehehe (i think i better stop singing before it starts to rain lol).

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy