Is it haraam to eat Mermaids?

Salaam

Many of the fuqaha’ mentioned mermaids and differed on the ruling concerning them. Some of them said that they are permissible (to eat) because of the general meaning of the evidence which says that whatever is in the sea is permissible. This is the view of the Shaafa’is and Hanbalis, and is the view of most of the Maalikis and of Ibn Hazm and others. And some of them regarded it as haraam because it is not a kind of fish. This is the view of the Hanafis and of al-Layth ibn Sa’d.

Ibn Hazm (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Muhalla (6/50): As for that which lives in the water and cannot live anywhere else, it is all halaal no matter what state it is in, whether it is caught alive and then dies, or it dies in the water and then floats or does not float, whether it was killed by a sea creature or a land animal. It is all halaal to eat, whether it is the pig of the sea (i.e., a dolphin), a mermaid, or a dog of the sea (i.e., shark) and so on. It is halaal to eat, whether it was killed by an idol-worshipper, a Muslim, a kitaabi (Jew or Christian) or it was not killed by anyone. The proof of that is the verses in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And the two seas (kinds of water) are not alike: this is palatable, sweet and pleasant to drink, and that is salt and bitter. And from them both you eat fresh tender meat (fish)” [Faatir 35:12] and “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water game and its use for food — for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel” [al-Maa’idah 5:64]. Allaah spoke in general terms and did not exclude anything, “and your Lord is never forgetful” [Maryam 19:64].

And there you have it, it is NOT haraam to eat mermaids.

Pointless debates take up a lot of my time in school. After school I'm usually trying to explain to a Muslim mum that I dont see why her boy cant sing a song about snow flakes in the christmas play.....other teachers call me in to ask me why a kid in their class is refusing to draw the cross in a RE lesson...but had no problems drawing the religious symbols of other religions....I get asked why kids are refusing to touch a copy of the bible or go to church as part of their school trip.

I have parents asking me if I'm OK about recieving xmas gifts and/or cards....and then I have others arguing with me over the fact that I actually am OK about recieving cards/presents etc

I went to someones house the other day and casually brought up the fact that I went to the GPU the other day and was dragged into a 45min debate over the impermissiblity of listening to nasheeds.

My tarawih in Ramadan was spent listening to arguments about all types of minor matters - i.e. reading dua collectively or not...in a loud voice or a quiet voice etc etc

My dad has blown up my graduation photo and hung it in the living room - its very cringy, typical and unneccessary - but whats more annoying is that it generates debate regarding the permissiblity of hanging up pictures.

Given that we live in a time where Muslims are always on the news for the wrong reasons, why do Muslims waste SO much time debating over irrelevent matters?

And why it is that Muslims who are the least practising shout the most?

Are all issues important? Or do we just have too much time on our hands?

Wasalaam

[/url]

I thought mermaids were made-up; half-woman and half fish.

So did I... (think they were myths)

About debates in general, they can be god in small doses if they fit your timescale.

Does telling someone that you do not care what they think either way sound rude? that would avoid a lot of debates...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"MuslimBro" wrote:
I thought mermaids were made-up; half-woman and half fish.

you actually believed there was such a thing? ha!

to some extent those issues are important, if someone is doing something wrong, its our duty to correct them and tell them the haq. if someone is gona say to me i pray like a dog because i put my arms and elbow down in sujood and don’t pray like a man, i aint gona sit there and saying nothing! but i wouldn’t argue with them for ages and ages in a harsh way. i’ll show them the proofs, have a lil discussion and if they then choose not to accept it, then i'll simply move on and say no more about the matter.

Whop would win in a fight: Batman or Superman?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"You" wrote:

Well i think superman should win... but I think in the end Batman did.

Back in BLACK

Mermaids?! What the-? I think the question you should be asking is do they exist?
I see nothing wrong with debating as long as it's done respectfully, in moderation and not something like "how wide your fingers are in prayer."
Oh, and Seraphim, please don't start that stupid arguement about who would win out of Batman and Superman. That's all the guys talked about for weeks before our GCSE exams. I'm glad no one at College does that, please don't start that here. It's starting to drive me nuts!

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

"Seraphim" wrote:
"You" wrote:

superman can fly, has super strength and can breath fire (sort of).

batman is a deranged loon in a fancy suit.

if batman got hold of some cryptonite however....

if the question was 'which superhero is better and more interesting, and not dreadfully pro-american in a sickly nationalistic way?' the answer would be batman.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"Ya'qub" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:
"You" wrote:

superman can fly, has super strength and can breath fire (sort of).

batman is a deranged loon in a fancy suit.

if batman got hold of some cryptonite however....

if the question was 'which superhero is better and more interesting, and not dreadfully pro-american in a sickly nationalistic way?' the answer would be batman.

I dont think you understood my post.

We dont need to debate this at all. Superman and Batman did fight. And Batman won. End of.

Back in BLACK

when i started to read this thread i thought ewww who would want to eat mermaids. However after a couple of seconds it occurred to me that mermaids dont exist :oops:

This is what listening to xmas songs (the same CD put on repeat) for 9 hours does to you.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy