The Evil Thread

What do you consider evil?
[size=7]
(other than this thread i mean)[/size]

Is concepts of good and evil determined by the soceity you life in?
Hitler didnt think he was evil. Hitler thought he was the saviour of the German people. Bcoz of which tje Nazi's viewed the killing of Jews to be acceptable.

Is evil simply things that displease us (as well as God) while good being simply what pleases us?

Some have even said at time Evil is infact Good... and Good is Evil. In such situations does the end justify the means?

What does Evil mean and represent to you?

idi amin
he was a monster

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

I think the general concensus is that murderers and rapists deserve to be at the deepest darkest circle of hell... along with peodophiles and people who talk at the cinema.

Back in BLACK

EVil - everything that is condemned in the Quran and Sunnah

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Lol @ Seraph's people talking in the cinema.

When I think of evil I normally think rapists, murderers, paedophiles, etc, etc.

But I also think people who back chat, or wish negative things about others, or are extremely jealous of others are pretty evil too. And we are sort of surrounded by that evil aren't we? That is less apparent though, which makes it even more scary.

It's not something I've ever thought much of. The whole concept of good and evil stems from religion though doesn't it, and then over time a particular societies take on things. But if an evil act becomes more common in a particular society then does it become less evil over time? Maybe so in a secular society... if that is the case then that is pretty worrying. As opposed to shunning it and punishing it do we learn to live around it more?

As a Muslim though, Islam clearly dictates what is evil so it can't ever be good.

Take homosexuals for instance.

Once upon a time it was considered a sin here in the West to be a homosexual. And now... now they're allowed to vote and everything. lol.

Good and Evil, light and darkness.
It seems one can not exist without the other.

I read somewhere there are two kinds of evils.

The Physical Evils: murder, genocide, rape etc.
The Moral Evils: Backbiting....etc

Religion teaches us that evil exists as a reminder of the existence of the hereafter. As a reminder of the existence of the devil... aswell as the existence of the grace of God.

Back in BLACK

An interesting question, but one you have to tread carefully in unless you say anything blasphemus.....

Is something 'Good' only BECAUSE Allah (swt) tells us it is 'Good', or does Allah (swt) tell us what is ALREADY 'Good'. Do Good and Evil, Right and Wrong exist seperately from Allah (swt), or is it only BECAUSE Allah (swt) tells us it is Good?

Wouldn't this open the possibility (hypothetically of course) that Allah could make something that in itself is evil, 'Good' for us, and vise versa? Are we just fortunate that Allah (swt) has Kind, Merciful properties and is not some evil, twisted ruler?

Please only respond to this if you undertand what I'm actually talking about (so thats probably none of us then, including me).

Don't just do something! Stand there.

You're going to have to explain yourself a bit better im afraid.
Coz that dont even make sense to me.

Is it possible that Allah (swt) created something evil? Is that what you're asking? In that case this is a debate of nature or nurture? Can something truely be born inheriantly evil or is it down to circumstance that leads to it becoming evil.

Do we know if the ability to create life only rests with God and NOT the devil? Is it possible for the devil to create life... evil life... but life none the less? Or is it a case of one creates and the other destroys?

Back in BLACK

"Seraphim" wrote:
You're going to have to explain yourself a bit better im afraid.
Coz that dont even make sense to me.

ok, thats not what i was saying at all.

we all know that Allah (swt) is All Powerful and nothing else exists that can Create anything (neither good nor evil).

My question was whether do notions of 'Good' and 'Evil' exist independantly of Allah's (swt) command?

More basically: Does Allah (swt) command us to do something because it is good, OR is something good because Allah (swt) commands us to do it?

For example, Allah (swt) commands us to be truthful and to guard our private parts. So we, as Muslims see these two acts as praiseworthy, or 'Good'.

But what if (in a parallel universe) Allah (swt) commanded us to always lie and to be promiscuous? Would THESE acts then become 'Good'?

Do we ONLY do certain deeds, for example giving charity, BECAUSE Allah (swt) tells us to, or is there something within the actual 'Good Deed' itself that is praiseworthy.

The reason I bring this up is because many Muslims, when talking to atheists, say that 'Islam (or any religion for that matter) gives me morals to live my life by. I help people who are in need because of my religion'. So what about an atheist who gives charity or always keeps a promise. Is there NOTHING good about their actions (because the actions are not performed for the sake of Allah (swt))?

ppl who insist on riding their bicycles in the road and those that talk in a library. Its always the Oldhamers......
or sorry ma bad i meant to say Asians :twisted:

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"Naz" wrote:
ppl who insist on riding their bicycles in the road

Perfectly legal, even so you're not allowed to ride them on the pavement. Do that in front of a police officer and chances are that you'll get told off.

"Naz" wrote:
and those that talk in a library.

What's wrong with that... unless you're talking loudly.

"Naz" wrote:

you'll hate me then. i always seem to have the giggles when in the library and i can never shut up, i'll always have something to say. me and libraries dont go.

I would never intentionally hurt anyone physically or emotionally.. I understand that unfortunately through jealousy and envy people get kicks out of hurting and condemning others. These i class as evil traits.

"Seraphim" wrote:

What do you consider evil?

[b]"America is the Great Shaytan."[/b]

said the founder of the Islamic Republic of Iran, [b]Ayatollah Khomeini[/b].

Since that decleration was made during the Islamic Revolution, polls show that most Muslims countries, and also now South American nations, and even many others states around the world have come to agree with our Ayatollah that US is indeed evil.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

"malik" wrote:
[b]"America is the Great Shaytan."[/b]

said the founder of the Islamic Republic of Iran, [b]Ayatollah Khomeini[/b].

Since then most Muslims countires, South American nations, and even many others around the world have come to agree with our Ayatollah that US is indeed evil.

I've never heard of a Muslim leader or anyone else for that matter say Khomeini is right in anything. Some scholars say he isn't Muslim and I agree with them on the evidence provided.

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition, burns a picture to obtain the ashes!

You are too brainwashed by pro-US propaganda and pro-US muslim leaders.

You think these Arabs leaders are proper Muslims?

Thats your views. You have those puppets.

Shiekh Qardawi has said that Iran is right to stand up to US and defy the arrogant world power, and he said that it is a duty of all Muslims to help Iran against America. This was his fatwa issued last week on EID. He also called America an enemy of Islam.

But you would rather listen to hypocrite controlled scholars who get their pay cheques from US backed puppets.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:
ppl who insist on riding their bicycles in the road

Perfectly legal, even so you're not allowed to ride them on the pavement. Do that in front of a police officer and chances are that you'll get told off.

That made me smile. One thing i have noticed about your posts is you seem to relate it back to the law. Its obvious you feel really passionate about the law so why are you wasting your time studying criminology. Switch gowan you know you want to lol.

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:

What's wrong with that... unless you're talking loudly.

Whispering nowt wrong with it. Talking really loud = annoying

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"Naz" wrote:
That made me smile. One thing i have noticed about your posts is you seem to relate it back to the law. Its obvious you feel really passionate about the law so why are you wasting your time studying criminology. Switch gowan you know you want to lol.

You post was abit like riding a bicycle on the road is wrong, so that's why I had to bring in the law aspect.

Doing criminology don't mean you ignore law completely, you just do the bit about criminal law.

"malik" wrote:
You are too brainwashed by pro-US propaganda and pro-US muslim leaders.

You think these Arabs leaders are proper Muslims?

he has repeatedly said that he believes all most people are politics are corrupt so i doubt he beilieves that

Quote:
But you would rather listen to hypocrite controlled scholars who get their pay cheques from US backed puppets

i wouldnt listen to what eva scholars your on about but then again i wouldnt want to listen to khomeni either

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

"Seraphim" wrote:
but life none the less? Or is it a case of one creates and the other destroys?

is'nt the devil called the great destroyer

All intentional harm to oneself or others is bad continuing the act and deeming it good is when it becomes evil. even ignoring the question of good and evil whilst carrying out harm becomes evil.

some people in power believe they are beyond good and evil

many people already do not think in these terms - lying etc has become a way of life

everyone is born good, it really wouldn't be fair if this wasn't the case would it?

i can't stop my shirt fraying......DAMN THIS EVIL THREAD!!

Is evil the absence of good i.e. without light theres only darkness.

Is evil a point of view: one mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter?

Or are there Grey areas?

Back in BLACK

"Ya'qub" wrote:
i can't stop my shirt fraying......DAMN THIS EVIL THREAD!!

Biggrin

@ Seraph, I think evil is a temporary state, when one is possesed by ugly characteristics. Perhaps a more useful question would have been, "what are ugly characteristics?"

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

The reason i bring it up is because ive been reading this book (late into the night) about the Wicked Witch of the West and how she grew up into the evil witch from the Wizard of Oz.

The main arguement seems to be Nature vs Nurture.

Inheriantly shes not evil. But because she was born green and the way she was raised ultimately results in her being cold and distant (im only up to the bit where shes a teenager).

But it presents a good arguement. That perhaps people are not born inheriantly evil or ugly as you put it. Perhaps its the world whose ugly and its how a persons brought up that results in them turning evil??

Back in BLACK

I thought that Islam teaches that everyone is born innocent, good-natured and free from sin.

They later have the potential to 'become bad' because of the whisperings of Shaitan, your inner 'animal self' and selfish desires or other people leading you astray.

But once you are bad, you aways haev the potential to 'become good' again, because Allah (swt) forgives anything if you repent in this life.

I'm interested as to when a 'Good act', when repeated, becomes a 'Good habit', and in turn when it becomes a 'Good characteristic' of a person, and if that actually makes them a 'Good person'.

Sorry, this is the 'Evil Thread'!

In that case, I'm interested as to when an 'Evil act', when repeated, becomes an 'Evil habit', and in turn when it becomes an 'Evil characteristic' of a person, and if that actually makes them an 'Evil person'.

Evil - People who slander the Prophet saw
People who don't believe in Allaah
Rapists, peadophiles, murderers
People who control/try to control others
Bush, Sharon, Zionazis
People who smell on the tube
Most of my family are evil Fool

' Nay, verily! With me is my Lord, He will guide me ' {2662}

"Alisha" wrote:

People who don't believe in Allaah

I'm not sure 'evil' is the right word for this. 'Misguided' - yes, 'lost' - yes, 'evil' - no.

I meant like atheists, those who are told about Islam, but don't ponder upon the information and remain ignorant.

' Nay, verily! With me is my Lord, He will guide me ' {2662}

are you honestly saying that all atheists are evil?

so my mum and my sister are evil?

why do you live in a kafir country then?

"Alisha" wrote:
I meant like atheists, those who are told about Islam, but don't ponder upon the information and remain ignorant.

Respectfully, none of your examples are evil in the sense of the question.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

"Alisha" wrote:

no.. evil means being mean.. or causing harm to something... athiests arent causing harm 2 any1 but themselves so they cant be called aithest.. there are only a few poeple in the world who are evil.. and people who are non-muslims cannot be evil.. misguided? yeh.. thick in the head? yeh.. but not evill...

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

Pages