Dentist guilty in headscarf row

[size=18][b]Dentist in Islamic headscarf row [/b][/size]

A dentist in Greater Manchester refused to treat a female Muslim patient unless she wore an Islamic headscarf, a disciplinary panel has heard.
Dr Omer Butt told the woman she could not register at his Bury practice unless she covered her hair, the Professional Conduct Committee heard.

The committee heard the patient was left "humiliated and upset" but agreed as she wanted treatment for toothache.

Dr Butt denies refusing to treat the woman unless she wore a headscarf.

He said that part of their practice was for women who came to the practice to wear headscarves
Patient

The panel was told that Dr Butt, who ran Unsworth Smile clinic on Parr Lane in Bury, later quoted Islamic Sharia law on appropriate relationships between men and women to the woman.

John Snell, for the General Dental Council, told the committee that the patient was told by one dental nurse that inside the surgery was 'Dr Butt's world' and that his rules applied.

The woman registered at the surgery because it was nearer her home but she told the panel that when she telephoned for an appointment she was told they required Muslim women to wear the headscarf and Muslim men not to wear gold jewellery.

Although "taken aback" by the rules, she told the panel she made an appointment for 18 April 2005 and wore conservative black clothes.

The committee heard that upon arrival, she was taken to an X-ray room where Dr Butt laid down the rules of his practice and asked whether she was a Muslim.

"He said that part of their practice was for women who came to the practice to wear headscarves," the woman told the panel.

Humiliation

The committee heard that the woman agreed to this and was given a scarf by one of his assistants.

However, she told the panel she decided to leave after being told she must return to the waiting room wearing the scarf before receiving treatment.

"When I was told to wait in the waiting area I thought, I have already tolerated an enormous degree of humiliation. I removed the headscarf and told the nurse I was leaving," she said.

Dr Butt admits quoting Islamic scripture to the woman but denies refusing to treat the woman unless she wore a headscarf.

The case continues.

[url=

---------------------------------------------------------

[size=18][b]Dentist guilty in headscarf row [/b][/size]

A dentist who told a female patient she must wear a Muslim headscarf to receive treatment has been found guilty of serious professional misconduct.
Dr Omer Butt was found guilty of discriminating against the woman, known as Ms A, by a disciplinary panel of the General Dental Council (GDC).

The patient said she was "humiliated and upset" after the encounter at the surgery in Bury, Greater Manchester.

Dr Butt received an admonition at the end of the three-day GDC hearing.

Stewart Goulding, chairman of the GDC professional conduct committee, told Dr Butt that his conduct had fallen short of the standard expected.

But he said the committee had noted testimonials from other patients in reaching their conclusion.

Inside the surgery it's Dr Butt's world and his rules apply
Dental nurse

He said: "The committee is satisfied that the appropriate decision is to conclude the case today with this admonition.

"As a member of a caring profession, a dentist has a responsibility to put the interests of patients first.

"The professional relationship between dentist and patient relies on trust and the assumption that a dentist will act in the best interests of the patient.

"The effect of your actions on this occasion was to impede patient A's access to local dental services."

The dentist had denied the charges, but admitted he would ask Muslim women to cover up in accordance with Islamic law before he treated them and reducing fees to encourage patients to wear the headscarf.

Dr Butt, of Prestwich, Greater Manchester, was found to have "undermined public confidence" in the dental profession by discriminating against the woman in April 2005.

No jewellery

Giving evidence in his defence, Dr Butt said he "politely requested" the woman, a non-practising Muslim, to wear a headscarf.

He said it was "unlawful" for him, as a Muslim, to look at a Muslim woman who was not properly covered up.

The patient, a community nurse who worked in Bury, said Dr Butt told her she would have to find another dentist because she would not wear the headscarf.

The hearing was told the dentist later quoted Islamic Sharia law on appropriate relationships between men and women.

Patient A said she was told by a dental nurse at the surgery: "Inside the surgery it's Dr Butt's world and his rules apply."

The patient said she sought to register at the Unsworth Smile Clinic after the birth of her young child because it was nearer to her home.

She said she telephoned the clinic to make an appointment and was told they required Muslim women to wear the headscarf.

Muslim men attending the clinic could not wear gold jewellery, she was told.

[url=

Without reading all that. A [color=red]non-Muslim[/color] can tell a [color=red]Muslim[/color] to take of her Hijab/Niqab but a [color=blue]Muslim[/color] can't tell a [color=blue]Muslim[/color] to put on her Hijab?

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition, burns a picture to obtain the ashes!

Professional Values underpin the basis of ALL postgradute training courses.

Imagine going through all that postgraduate training/education only to be struck off the register over something stupid like that?

But why dont professionals think before they speak?

And why dont Muslims think before grassing up other Muslims?

Amals avatar changes colour!!!

wow..................

Back in BLACK

its a gif

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition, burns a picture to obtain the ashes!

Surely before he qualified it would have occurred to him that he would have to examine female patients' teeth. What would have been the purpose of her wearing a headscarf and then examining her mouth :?
he is still sinning.

silly man!

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Look who cares. Everyone say what cool avatar mmm!

"mmm" wrote:
Look who cares. Everyone say what cool avatar mmm!

technically your avatar picture could be classed as idolising.

What is the world coming to. :shock:

Muslims trying to portrey others in a bad light. After all the media says about Islam already why start on each other. Realistically he shouldnt have said what he did but theres ways of dealing with issues quietly, away from the media, without having to grab publicity in the process (and probably get money out of it). I know we shouldnt say bad things about anyone let alone other muslims but i wish people would use their common sense before letting fellow muslims get rediculed in the eyes of the law and the British public?? :roll:

On the flipside telling a non practising muslim to wear the headscarf is like pushing faith on somebody and that is not deemed correct in Islam as it cannot be imposed on anybody. Being a dentist in Britain its going to be inevitable for somebody muslim or not to be seen by you without a headscarf and what did he do when he had a female non muslim patient??? Exactly got on with it.. Allah Ta'la knows everything thats in our hearts and our minds..

" Undoubtedly, the word has been proved against most of them, so they shall not believe. "

" We have put on their necks chains reaching to their chins, so they remained raising up their faces."

"And We have set a barrier before them and a barrier behind them and covered them from above, therefore they see nothing."

"And it is equal for them whether you warn them or warn them not, they are not to believe."

"You warn only him who follows admonition and fears the Most Affectionate without seeing, so give him glad tiding of forgiveness and a respectable reward."

Verses 7,8,9,10,11.. Surah Ya'sin

Come on Gulz! Talk some sense into the dipsticks!

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Courage

Tell me about it. If only we could all understand the true meaning of one "Ummah"

Hey Gulz! Take it easy mate! I was just saying, you know, "you tell them!"
I didn't mean anything offensive or anti-Ummah.

"Gulz" wrote:

Tell me about it. If only we could all understand the true meaning of one "Ummah"

Yeah yeah... if 'ifs' and 'buts' where pounds and pennies then someone would be rich and then it would be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for that perp to enter heaven.

The fact is he was an idiot to make such a demand and he got burnt for it. People should think twice before coming on all holly molly to others... especially complete strangers. The fool could probably loose his licence.

Heres a question; how come theres no women dentists? Ive never seen one. Coz then women could deal with women patients but if there are no (or little) women dentists you will get cr@p like this happening all the time.

Back in BLACK

"Seraphim" wrote:
Heres a question; how come theres no women dentists?

There are women dentists, my dentist was a woman.

"Noor" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:

In that case, there cant be many of them

Back in BLACK

"Seraphim" wrote:
"Noor" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:

In that case, there cant be many of them

mines also a women. I Pay 15 quid for a checkup and it lasts like 5 seconds!

Quote:
Hey Gulz! Take it easy mate! I was just saying, you know, "you tell them!"
I didn't mean anything offensive or anti-Ummah

Hey courage sorry i think you misunderstood me.. what i meant was in regards to the story.. "we're all one Islamic nation"... on one side.. nothing bad about your comment.. Biggrin

Quote:
Yeah yeah... if 'ifs' and 'buts' where pounds and pennies then someone would be rich and then it would be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for that perp to enter heaven.

The fact is he was an idiot to make such a demand and he got burnt for it. People should think twice before coming on all holly molly to others... especially complete strangers. The fool could probably loose his licence.

Heres a question; how come theres no women dentists? Ive never seen one. Coz then women could deal with women patients but if there are no (or little) women dentists you will get cr@p like this happening all the time

yeah well um ok.. :shock:

OK no worries, Gulz. Smile