Ten annoying things in Ramadhan part one

1. People who don’t fast and openly smoke, drink and eat in front of you.

2. people waking up for sehri and going back to sleep without praying fajr,

3. People thinking that Ramadhan is only for the duration of your fast i.e as soon as it's time for iftaar, they can do all the stuff they've refrained from doing throughout the day

4. The amount of food that is wasted or goes down the bin

5. The huge number of text messages wishing you Ramadhan Mubarak and the Eid messages

6. During taraweeh prayers you get distracted by millions of phone calls or the racket outside

7. Imams reciting the Quran at Terrawih as if its a grand prix race

8. People arguing about the differences in iftar times in different time tables

9. Non-Muslims asking silly questions and feeling sorry for you

10. People burping next to you in salah because they had too much spicy food

Since you have already mentioned ten things, I assume that is it? as in no further parts?

(if there are, can you please stick them in this topic too.)

I don't find any of that annoying. Most does not occur too much. I think you are grumpy from the hunger! Lol

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"You" wrote:
Since you have already mentioned ten things, I assume that is it? as in no further parts?

well if he wrote part one, what do you think?

well... normally you have part one which covers three or four of the ten... part two which covers some more... part 3 etc etc... but this has all ten in the first part.

Maybe he was funning with the title?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

he'z prbz got 20 points or something. he has a lot of ideas.

"Showkat" wrote:

10. People burping next to you in salah because they had too much spicy food

I find this one particularly annoying. Its usually the older men in mosque, burping loudly while ur trying to read Taravee and not content on just that, then proceeding to blow it everywhere so we can smell it. Gross!

Religion is the heart in a heartless world.

"Showkat" wrote:

1. People who don’t fast and openly smoke, drink and eat in front of you.

I personally think that if you cant handle ppl eating in front of you then you shouldnt be fasting.

"Showkat" wrote:
5. The huge number of text messages wishing you Ramadhan Mubarak and the Eid messages

whats wrong with that? Didnt do it this ramzan but my friends that did text i text them back to wish them ramzan mubarak coz its just courteous. I always text Eid mubarak like 30 min before midnight coz the network always gets blocked.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Fasting is Fardh.

However you should not allow things to annoy you so easily. Not everyone around is a Muslim.

Even if they are, their fast (or not) is not for you or me. Their fasting or lack of it should not bother us. Of course I am talking about ideal circumstances, and we are all human.

Friday lunch it was raining terribly and the only place I could eat my falafel without getting soaked was under a canopy where for some reason a lot of Muslims had gathered. I hope they can forgive me.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

Don't worry about it. Not in your religion to fast in Ramadan.

Thank you. I did fast just now as it happens (Yom Kippur).

"Naz" wrote:

"Showkat" wrote:

whats wrong with that? Didnt do it this ramzan but my friends that did text i text them back to wish them ramzan mubarak coz its just courteous. I always text Eid mubarak like 30 min before midnight coz the network always gets blocked.

just to let you know, Muslim days start after maghrib, not midnight. so Eid officially starts strait after u break ur fast on the 29/30th.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Only two things annoy me in Ramadan.

-Discussion and debate after Tarawih prayer.
-Non Muslims telling me they 'feel sorry' for me, whilst stuffing their face with cake.

Out of that list only point 4 annoys me, and that isn't just exclusive to Ramadan but all year round, when people don't finish the food they themselves heaped onto their plate. And I also don't like it when people leave a tiny amount of curry at the end to be chucked in the bin just coz their roti has finished.

Point 10 is just disgusting.

"Joie de Vivre" wrote:
Friday lunch it was raining terribly and the only place I could eat my falafel without getting soaked was under a canopy where for some reason a lot of Muslims had gathered. I hope they can forgive me.

Aww that is so sweet, but seriously don't worry about it. You shouldn't feel guilty or anything at all. Ramadan is about Muslims, nobody else. At work one of my colleagues kept going on about feeling really bad eating and drinking in front of me and I thought it was really sweet of her but really couldn’t understand why she was stressing about it. I was like me fasting is about me, there's no reason why it should affect you, thank you for being considerate but really it's my issue not yours, I’m fasting because of my religion, there is absolutely no reason for you to feel uncomfortable eating and drinking. I deliberately made a point of taking my lunch at the same time as her so I could sit and chat with her just like I do when it isn't Ramadan, so she’d see how her eating and drinking didn’t bother me in any way. Non-Muslims just think fasting for 30 days is so, so major… it’s kinda funny.

How did you find your fast? How many hours do you fast for and why?

PS I think falafel is yuck. My manager kept going on about how delicious it was and how I really had to try it, so I bought some from M & S and oh my it was so horrible! It was in a salad made up of everything that was in the falafel, chick peas, cucumber, something that looked a bit like couscous, some other stuff, with a few falafel and also cubes of feta cheese which I hadn’t had before either. I’m not sure if it was the falafel or the feta but it just had such a horrible strong sour taste to it. Even when I had the falafel on its own it still had that taste to it. It was probably one of the most horrible things I’ve ever eaten. My manager loves it and says she’s going to bring me some in but I was like no please don’t.

For some .... strange reason. This Ramadan has been particularly HARD. I dunno what it is... Im usually indifferent... but slowly and slowly ive become more and more irritable as the month goes by.

I normally adopt a passive approach to... everything really. But today at Tarawee... I was *this* close ... *this* close to sticking my foot up this guys a$$ as well as beating the other guys within an inch of his life. They kept fidgeting and breaking my concentration... it was simply frustrating. Where as normally id block it out for some strange reason i couldnt.

Back in BLACK

"Imaani" wrote:
"Joie de Vivre" wrote:

Aww that is so sweet, but seriously don't worry about it. You shouldn't feel guilty or anything at all. Ramadan is about Muslims, nobody else. At work one of my colleagues kept going on about feeling really bad eating and drinking in front of me and I thought it was really sweet of her but really couldn’t understand why she was stressing about it. I was like me fasting is about me, there's no reason why it should affect you, thank you for being considerate but really it's my issue not yours, I’m fasting because of my religion, there is absolutely no reason for you to feel uncomfortable eating and drinking. I deliberately made a point of taking my lunch at the same time as her so I could sit and chat with her just like I do when it isn't Ramadan, so she’d see how her eating and drinking didn’t bother me in any way. Non-Muslims just think fasting for 30 days is so, so major… it’s kinda funny.

How did you find your fast? How many hours do you fast for and why?

PS I think falafel is yuck. My manager kept going on about how delicious it was and how I really had to try it, so I bought some from M & S and oh my it was so horrible! It was in a salad made up of everything that was in the falafel, chick peas, cucumber, something that looked a bit like couscous, some other stuff, with a few falafel and also cubes of feta cheese which I hadn’t had before either. I’m not sure if it was the falafel or the feta but it just had such a horrible strong sour taste to it. Even when I had the falafel on its own it still had that taste to it. It was probably one of the most horrible things I’ve ever eaten. My manager loves it and says she’s going to bring me some in but I was like no please don’t.

Thanks Imaani.

Falafel has to be hot and crispy. Normally it's served with hummus in a pitta pocket. It's eaten in a number of Mediterranean countries - everyone including Israel considers it a national dish. Normally you add your own salads and hot dressings. I don't think I'd ever add Feta. My friend tried his first falafel with me in Amsterdam and was impressed enough to get some at a local shop when we got back, and was disappointed. Cold falafel from a shop fridge is pointless. Also there's different types. The hummus at a Palestinian cafe called Lena in Jerusalem's Old City is legendary so I went with a friend to check it out but found it too thick and dry for my liking, and very heavy on the garlic and lemon. My friend thought I was crazy. Anyway I think you should give your manager a chance.

My fast was pretty easy. It's 25 hours and we spend the evening and the next day in shul (or bet hamidrash, synagogue). Yom Kippur is the day of atonement when at the end of 40 days' preparation (special prayers, apologies and reconciliations) we fast, enumerate our sins and pray for forgiveness. The 40 days are the month of Elul and the Aseret Y'mei T'shuva (10 days of repentance between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur).

Oh right. 25 hours sounds pretty tough. I think going without food wouldn't bother me much but I drink quite a bit of water throughout the day so I think I'd probably feel a bit dehydrated. However, if you eat and drink sensibly before closing the fast, and also when you open the fast, it's not that tough at all then.

The falafel was [i]very[/i] dry, it was almost hard to swallow. And the dressing didn't really do much as it was very thin. And the sour taste, that must have been the lemon then. Tonnes of it.

"Imaani" wrote:

ok Imaani, lemme make a couple of points:

A) falafal needs to be freshly cooked, NOT from a supermarket. I thought I hated it cause i'd only ever had cold, stale falafel.
Dirol Syria has amazing falafel freshly cooked for about 15p
C) Don't shop at Marks & Spencer if you don't want to actively support Zionism.

Thanks Biggrin !

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"Seraphim" wrote:

But today at Tarawee... I was *this* close ... *this* close to sticking my foot up this guys a$$ as well as beating the other guys within an inch of his life. They kept fidgeting and breaking my concentration... it was simply frustrating. Where as normally id block it out for some strange reason i couldnt.

same here. Three times i lost my concentration during my zuhr namaz today and i was soo angry with myself. I could feel myself getting worked up while i was praying by the loud chattering. What is the purpose of having a prayer room if they all gonna treat it like a cafe!

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"Ya'qub" wrote:

ok Imaani, lemme make a couple of points:

A) falafal needs to be freshly cooked, NOT from a supermarket. I thought I hated it cause i'd only ever had cold, stale falafel.
Dirol Syria has amazing falafel freshly cooked for about 15p
C) Don't shop at Marks & Spencer if you don't want to actively support Zionism.

Thanks Biggrin !

Oooh ok.

If I ever want falafel again I will make sure I go to Syria. Or Amsterdam.

PS All the best for your I'tikaf bro. Please remember us all in your prayers.

I thought felafel was a sandwich like snack.

I ordered it at an Arabic take-away recently and was unpleasantly surprised.