Guide to Umrah

Salaam

Are there any good online guides to doing the Umrah?

My main question is all the prayers during tawaaf, sa'ee, etc... are they compulsory, or just recommended?

and how hard is it to keep the ihram on? especially on the journey, going through crowds, carrying luggage etc...

Books are the best way to learn about the do’s and don’ts of Umrah.
And people’s past experiences.

ALL the duas for Saee and Tawaaf are recommended – there are no specific duas during Umrah - except for the ‘Labaik..’

Some of the duas during Tawaaf are more recommended than others – i.e. reciting the third Kalimah during Tawaaf and reading ‘Rabana aytina..” on the last corner of the Kabah.

Regarding Ihraam…well, the guys Ihraam is a lot more complicated than the women’s one. I know my brother had difficulty getting it on properly.
But during Umrah you only have to keep it on for a couple of hours, so it isn’t too bad. But for Hajj you have to keep it on for a couple of days. That’s tough.

And you have to know how to wear it properly..i.e. I know for men, theres a bit when they must cover both shoulders and a bit when they must expose the right shoulder…and not observing these rules means you have to pay a kuffara.

Its not the actual cloth that’s a problem. It’s the conditions of an Ihraam which can be hard…i.e. not breaking/cutting a single strand of hair, avoiding all perfumed products, not killing any living thing (tough when you have fly’s all around you).

And the HARDEST bit is to not lose your temper. …so you have to be patient even when people run over your feet with a great big wheelchair during tawaaf, or when you’re told to ‘yallah’ 24/7, or when people do sajda bang in front of Muqame Ibraheem thus causing people who are doing Tawaaf to fall on top of each other and cause a stampede…or when yourself or your loved ones are pushed around harshly…or when people walk AGAINST the direction of the Tawaaf.

You experience many testing times during Hajj/Umrah. Even the most coolest person can get wound up.

But IMO, wearing an Ihraam is the most humbling feeling in the world. I really feel like crap when I wear one. Serious. Nothing strips you more of 'Dunya' than the state of Ihraam. You feel like a mere face amongst millions. And you're reminded of what you are - Nothing.

You just have to study a lot before you go.

You know, when one hasnt experienced something. They cant miss it.

You only miss something when you've personally experienced just how fantastic something is.

This is the third time I've been to Mekkah and Medinah...and yet, its only this time that I've felt incredibly restless on my return. I still havent settled into a routine yet and my heart is still there...

Its not a place that you can visit and feel 'content' afterwoulds....and think "yeh, I've been there now, I dont need to go there again".

After visiting.....the desire to visit again increases rather then decreases.

I remember when I was in Mekkah. At each Salaah I'd leave my mum and sisters in a place near the back (which was where we'd find a place most days) and I'd run to sit/stand near the Kabah in a place that I know I shouldnt be. I'd sit/stand there looking at the Kabah..... Until I was told to 'Yallah'...only for me to leg it somewhere else (again somewhere that I shouldnt be) and stand beholding the magnificance of the Kabah for as long as it took the guards to find me and tell me to 'Yallah' again.

I was thinking about how tough Ramadan is this year compared to previous years (longer fasts combined with work)…however, things that are more difficult on the soul bring a LOT more reward…(providing one does it with Sabr).

Living in the West we’re used to ease and comfort. That’s why sometimes journeys to Hajj/Umrah are a tremendous shock to the system, to some people.

I remember doing my Saee and being exhausted half way through..(I’m sure the 7 rounds equal a couple of miles).

I found it tough, despite the fact that, I’am not Hadrat Hajarah (ra). I’m not frantically and desperately looking for water for my crying baby. Unlike Hadrat Hajarah (ra) I started my Saee with a stomach full of Zam Zam water. I have fans and AC blowing on my face. I have a roof over my head protecting me from the sun. The mountains of Safa/Marwa have been cut down and are covered with plastic. I’m walking on cool marble floor.

My Saee is nothing compared to hers.

When I left for Medinah from London. The flight was 8hours long. We left early morning and was there in the evening. People in the past used to take YEARS to get to those blessed cities. One man even took 14years.

The journey from Mekkah and Medinah takes 4hours in a car and 40min by plane. The people in the past used to take a month to get from Mekkah and Medinah.

..that’s why I also believe that people in the past used to derive a LOT more out of Ramadan/Hajj/Umrah than we do today.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
I was thinking about how tough Ramadan is this year compared to previous years (longer fasts combined with work)…however, things that are more difficult on the soul bring a LOT more reward…(providing one does it with Sabr).

Living in the West we’re used to ease and comfort. That’s why sometimes journeys to Hajj/Umrah are a tremendous shock to the system, to some people.

I remember doing my Saee and being exhausted half way through..(I’m sure the 7 rounds equal a couple of miles).

I found it tough, despite the fact that, I’am not Hadrat Hajarah (ra). I’m not frantically and desperately looking for water for my crying baby. Unlike Hadrat Hajarah (ra) I started my Saee with a stomach full of Zam Zam water. I have fans and AC blowing on my face. I have a roof over my head protecting me from the sun. The mountains of Safa/Marwa have been cut down and are covered with plastic. I’m walking on cool marble floor.

My Saee is nothing compared to hers.

When I left for Medinah from London. The flight was 8hours long. We left early morning and was there in the evening. People in the past used to take YEARS to get to those blessed cities. One man even took 14years.

The journey from Mekkah and Medinah takes 4hours in a car and 40min by plane. The people in the past used to take a month to get from Mekkah and Medinah.

..that’s why I also believe that people in the past used to derive a LOT more out of Ramadan/Hajj/Umrah than we do today.

yeah but did they have to worry about dodgy travel agents who try to rip people off? (joking).

Allah (swt) has made performing Hajj/Umrah more easy for us than it was for people in the past. [b]But[/b] that doesn't mean we have less to gain from it, it just means we have more to be grateful for.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"Ya'qub" wrote:

Allah (swt) has made performing Hajj/Umrah more easy for us than it was for people in the past. [b]But[/b] that doesn't mean we have less to gain from it, it just means we have more to be grateful for.

Very true. But even God says that only a very few are grateful.

I spent my Hajj and this Umrah with a incredibly moaning/moody group.

And yep, our dodgy travel agent screwed us over too. Biggrin

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"Ya'qub" wrote:

Very true. But even God says that only a very few are grateful.

I spent my Hajj and this Umrah with a incredibly moaning/moody group.

And yep, our dodgy travel agent screwed us over too. Biggrin

I hear this a lot about travel agents. It makes my blood boil. InshaAllah my friends are starting an Umrah Service (hopefully Hajj too InshaAllah) where theres no profit for them involved. I'm urging them to do it. So when its up and running I shall let you all know!

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition, burns a picture to obtain the ashes!