Important points regarding fasting

Source:

[size=18][b]Important points regarding fasting[/b][/size]

By Maulana Mohammed Faisal

1, If a person who is fasting forgets that they are fasting, and eat or drinks or is involved in a conjugal relationship their fast IS NOT effected.
2, A wet dream DOES NOT invalidate the fast.
3, If someone swallows a small piece of food that was stuck in the teeth and it was smaller than the size of a chickpea the fast IS NOT invalidated. Although it is better to spit it out.
4, If a person carries on eating after the sehri time has ended thinking that the time had not expired they must repeat the fast at a later date.
5, If a person opened his fast thinking that the sun had set when in fact the sun had not yet set they must repeat the fast.
6, If a person breaks their fast, for whatever reason, they should still abstain from food and drink out of respect for the Blessed month of Ramadaan.
7, It is important to have the intention to fast. The intention helps to differentiate between an act of worship and a habit. The Sunnah way is to utter the intention with the tongue, however to make the intention in the mind will suffice. If a person wakes up after the time of sehri has passed they must make the intention before midday.

[b]Actions that are disliked while fasting [/b]

This means that the activities below WILL NOT break the fast, however they will reduce the reward greatly. They are referred to in Islamic terminology as "Makrooh" meaning disliked or undesirable.

1, To collect one's saliva in the mouth and then to swallow it,
2, To delay a bath that has become obligatory intentionally until after fajr time.
3, To quarrel, argue, use filthy, indecent words. To backbite, tell a lie or swear.
4, To use toothpaste or a mouthwash.
5, To put any food into the mouth and then spit it out.
6, To chew something.
7, To undertake a laborious job, this may cause undue fatigue and weakness and may compel one to break the fast.

[b]Actions which do not affect the fast [/b]

1, To brush the teeth using a wet toothbrush without any toothpaste, or to clean the tooth using a miswaak whether it's wet or dry. Flavoured miswaaks are not permitted.
2, To rinse the mouth or nose.
3, Taking a bath or shower.
4, To use ointment for the eyes even if one feels its effect in the throat.
5, To apply oil to the scalp, hair or moustache.
6, To use attar perfume on the body or clothes.

[b]Some desirable activities during fasting [/b]

1, To be quick ending the fast once the sunset has been ascertained and before the Maghreb prayer. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said, "My followers will continue to be good as long as they their fast quickly and delay their pre-dawn meal."
2, The fast should be opened with dates, sweet foods or water. It is desirable that dates should be in odd number.
3, To read the specific supplication at this time like the following: 'O Lord I fasted for You, believed in You and relied on You and opened the fast with Your provided subsistance and I intend tommorrows fast of Ramadaan. Be Kind to forgive my previous and future sins'.
4, To eat at pre-dawn even if it is a sip of water and to delay the pre-dawn meal until the last specified time which is before the beginning of dawn.
5, To control one's tongue from futile talking, however, to stop it from Haraam activities like backbiting and calumny are obligatory at all times and especially in Ramadaan.
6, To become more generous towards the needy, the poor and one's relatives.
7, To busy oneself day and night in learning, recitation of the Glorious Qur'an, Zikr and sending blessings upon the Blessed Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

salaam
a few points in bold which i have raised for clarification and discussion.
wasalaam

"tsmy" wrote:
Source:

[size=18][b]Important points regarding fasting[/b][/size]

By Maulana Mohammed Faisal

1, If a person who is fasting forgets that they are fasting, and eat or drinks or is involved in a conjugal relationship their fast IS NOT effected.
2, A wet dream DOES NOT invalidate the fast.
3, If someone swallows a small piece of food that was stuck in the teeth and it was smaller than the size of a chickpea the fast IS NOT invalidated. Although it is better to spit it out.
4, If a person carries on eating after the sehri time has ended thinking that the time had not expired they must repeat the fast at a later date.
5, If a person opened his fast thinking that the sun had set when in fact the sun had not yet set they must repeat the fast.

[b]
points 4 and 5 dont make sense. if the fast were closed or opened late/early accidentally then why should they be repeated again?[/b]

6, If a person breaks their fast, for whatever reason, they should still abstain from food and drink out of respect for the Blessed month of Ramadaan.

[b]
if you have broken your fast, you have done so you can eat! is it meant to be , not eat infront of others?[/b]

7, It is important to have the intention to fast. The intention helps to differentiate between an act of worship and a habit. The Sunnah way is to utter the intention with the tongue, however to make the intention in the mind will suffice. If a person wakes up after the time of sehri has passed they must make the intention before midday.

[b]Actions that are disliked while fasting [/b]

This means that the activities below WILL NOT break the fast, however they will reduce the reward greatly. They are referred to in Islamic terminology as "Makrooh" meaning disliked or undesirable.

1, To collect one's saliva in the mouth and then to swallow it,
2, To delay a bath that has become obligatory intentionally until after fajr time.
3, To quarrel, argue, use filthy, indecent words. To backbite, tell a lie or swear.

[b]doesnt this break the fast if done intentionally, according to hanafi opinion?[/b]

5, To put any food into the mouth and then spit it out.
6, To chew something.
[b]
to chew a bubble gum lets say, is only makrooh an ddoesnt break the fast?[/b]

7, To undertake a laborious job, this may cause undue fatigue and weakness and may compel one to break the fast.

[b]Actions which do not affect the fast [/b]

1, To brush the teeth using a wet toothbrush without any toothpaste, or to clean the tooth using a miswaak whether it's wet or dry. Flavoured miswaaks are not permitted.
2, To rinse the mouth or nose.
3, Taking a bath or shower.
4, To use ointment for the eyes even if one feels its effect in the throat.
5, To apply oil to the scalp, hair or moustache.

[b]Some desirable activities during fasting [/b]

1, To be quick ending the fast once the sunset has been ascertained and before the Maghreb prayer. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said, "My followers will continue to be good as long as they their fast quickly and delay their pre-dawn meal."
2, The fast should be opened with dates, sweet foods or water. It is desirable that dates should be in odd number.
3, To read the specific supplication at this time like the following: 'O Lord I fasted for You, believed in You and relied on You and opened the fast with Your provided subsistance and I intend tommorrows fast of Ramadaan. Be Kind to forgive my previous and future sins'.
4, To eat at pre-dawn even if it is a sip of water and to delay the pre-dawn meal until the last specified time which is before the beginning of dawn.
5, To control one's tongue from futile talking, however, to stop it from Haraam activities like backbiting and calumny are obligatory at all times and especially in Ramadaan.
6, To become more generous towards the needy, the poor and one's relatives.
7, To busy oneself day and night in learning, recitation of the Glorious Qur'an, Zikr and sending blessings upon the Blessed Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

"tsmy" wrote:
If a person carries on eating after the sehri time has ended thinking that the time had not expired they must repeat the fast at a later date.

why cant they just open the fast a bit later that way they have fasted for the full time.

"tsmy" wrote:

if your fast has broken for whatever reason then by not eating are you not imitating a fast? Also they say you should not eat in front of others who fast. What is the purpose of fasting if you can’t cope with ppl eating in front of you? Does this not defeat the whole point of having a fast?

"tsmy" wrote:

i thought anything that enters the mouth deliberately, causes the fast to break. By brushing your teeth not only are you putting a minty flavour in your mouth but brushing can cause gums to bleed sometimes (happens if you have sensitive gums) and wouldn’t that cause your fast to be broken?

"tsmy" wrote:

if your fast has broken for whatever reason then by not eating are you not imitating a fast? Also they say you should not eat in front of others who fast. What is the purpose of fasting if you can’t cope with ppl eating in front of you? Does this not defeat the whole point of having a fast?

"tsmy" wrote:

what’s wrong with using attar? It’s not got any alcohol in it so why is it not permitted? Also i was reading somewhere that women aren’t allowed to wear attar whilst praying? Could anybody please clarify if they know?

"tsmy" wrote:

or salt

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"Naz" wrote:
"tsmy" wrote:

what’s wrong with using attar? It’s not got any alcohol in it so why is it not permitted? Also i was reading somewhere that women aren’t allowed to wear attar whilst praying? Could anybody please clarify if they know?

sis, i aint ever heard or read anywhere that a woman is not allowed to wear itar whilst praying or at home. it's once you leave your house your not permitted to wear itar due to the male attraction you'll get.

"Noor" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:
"tsmy" wrote:

sis, i aint ever heard or read anywhere that a woman is not allowed to wear itar whilst praying or at home. it's once you leave your house your not permitted to wear itar due to the male attraction you'll get.

I think it said specifically for the friday prayer. Yeah i know perfume of any kind (alcohol or non alcohol) is not allowed outside the home but the B.O. is gonna attract attention so your sinning either way Lol

just a thought

well then you better take a shower everyday so u dont pong! you're allowed to wear itar as long as no one else can smell it. again sister, i aint read or heard anyone say you're not permitted to wear itar on friday for juma, in fact it's mustab to get ready and make yourself presentable on friday as it is in fact eid and the milad of hadrat adam (as).

lol i have a shower everyday but still most ppl do sweat during the day plus if your gonna wear attar ppl can still smell it. I brought some back from egypt and its really strong you can probs smell it miles away lol.

then you best of sticking to deodorant and body roll on.

^^^ its got alcohol in it and even if you dont get the one with alcohol in it you can still smell it. Oh well im not too bothered about it i swap between attar and hugo boss Biggrin

you're allowed to use products which contain alcohol, as long as the alcohol doesn't go inside your mouth.

I thought you couldnt use it full stop? For example if you wash your hair with shampoo with alcohol and you perform namaz, your namaz wont be accepted.

i aint ever heard that sis. from what i've been taught it's permissible as it isn't the wine type of alcohol.

no im defo sure that you cant wear alcohol products and then perform namaz.

who told you that? according to the hanafi fiqh it's totally permissible.

in regards to eating in front of people who are fasting: If you eat something by accident (forgetting u are fasting) then it doesn't break your fast, infact it is a mercy from Allah (swt) so we should thank Him and carry on the fast as usual.

If we break our fast intentionally before maghrib, we shouldn't eat in front of others for the sole reason that it is a sin not to fast and we shouldn't advertise our sins publicly. Girls may not be fasting for *other* reasons, but in this case u still shouldn't eat/drink in front of others, purely for modesty.

I'm pretty sure this is all from the Qu'ran and Sunnah inshAllah.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"Naz" wrote:

There's a difference between the alcohol (wine) you drink and the (synthetic) alcohol in deodorants, ect.

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:

There's a difference between the alcohol (wine) you drink and the (synthetic) alcohol in deodorants, ect.

yeah every budding (organic) chemist knows that there is a family of chemicals known as alcohols. Ethanol is the one people drink (in very diluted amounts.)

But the question is about ethanol.

But I have no idea why anybody would wear a deodorant. I tend to favour ANTIdeodorants. These generally contain butanol (which I also avoid - there do not seem to be many chemist scholars who can confront chemistry related questions...), but there are quite a few which do not contain anything from the alcohol family.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:

NOTE TO EVERYONE:

Don't make wudhu with wine!

(its sticky)

"You" wrote:
But I have no idea why anybody would wear a deodorant.

You must smell Blum 3

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"You" wrote:

You must smell Blum 3

and you must read my post again.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"You" wrote:

You must smell Blum 3

So the question is:

Does admin REALLY not like other people's company

or

Does he not wear deodorant.......

you decide

actually my bad.

Should have put anti-perspirant, not anti deodorant. However I will leave my posts as is.

Yeah people have always found me repulsive. I thought it was my manners... but now you have shown me the light. the error in my ways.

"Noor" wrote:
who told you that? according to the hanafi fiqh it's totally permissible.

cant remember, was either off one of them islamic channels or i read it somewhere. It might only be certain type of alcohol products. I tend to avoid all alcohol products when reading namaz just in case.

"Ya'qub" wrote:
in regards to eating in front of people who are fasting: If you eat something by accident (forgetting u are fasting) then it doesn't break your fast, infact it is a mercy from Allah (swt) so we should thank Him and carry on the fast as usual.

If we break our fast intentionally before maghrib, we shouldn't eat in front of others for the sole reason that it is a sin not to fast and we shouldn't advertise our sins publicly. Girls may not be fasting for *other* reasons, but in this case u still shouldn't eat/drink in front of others, purely for modesty.

I'm pretty sure this is all from the Qu'ran and Sunnah inshAllah.

yeah thats correct but i think one should be able to eat in front of others who are fasting. That is the real test of tolerance. My non muslim friends eat in front of me (they dont have a choice i make them) and it has never bothered me, even when i have been soo hungry that i feel like i am gonna pass out.

My colleagues at work are suprised at how seriously we take it. They can't believe that even when I'm at work or on my own I still don't eat. When I first started it was in Ramadan and a couple of my colleagues told me, [i]really[/i] sincerely, not to worry and how they wouldn't EVER tell anyone if I had a little something to eat at work. Biggrin

About the toothpaste thing, I have heard a hanafi scholar say that if you are going to be in close proximity to someone, ie if your job requires you to be so, (and actually not many jobs do), then it is fine for you to brush your teeth with toothpaste while fasting, BUT ONLY if by not doing so you will offend someone or they may think of Islam negatively. If you were to swallow any toothpaste or water while brushing your teeth then your fast will be broken and you will have to make it up afterwards...

"Imaani" wrote:
My colleagues at work are suprised at how seriously we take it. They can't believe that even when I'm at work or on my own I still don't eat. When I first started it was in Ramadan and a couple of my colleagues told me, [i]really[/i] sincerely, not to worry and how they wouldn't EVER tell anyone if I had a little something to eat at work. Biggrin

lol. my friends at school use to say that to me, i wont tell if you eat, i promise! or cant u hide and eat where no one can see you, and i was like Lol you've got a lot to learn.

anway, if someone has a smelly gob in ramadan, just had them a miswak! lol

Abû Hurayrah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah says: ‘Every deed of the child of Adam is for himself, except for fasting. It is for Me and I shall reward it.’ Fasting is a shield, so if it is a day of fasting for any one of you, then he should engage in no obscenity or shouting. If anyone belittles him or fights with him, he should just say ‘I am a person who is fasting’. [u]I swear by Him in whose hand is Muhammad’s soul, the smell of the fasting person’s breath is sweeter to Allah on the Day of Judgment than that of musk.[/u] The fasting person has two occasions for joy, one when he breaks his fast because of his breaking it and the other when he meets his Lord because of the reward for his fast.” sahih al bukhari. subhaan'Allah

is it ok to use mouthwash in the morning before you keep your fast??

"Noor" wrote:
"Imaani" wrote:

lol. my friends at school use to say that to me, i wont tell if you eat, i promise! or cant u hide and eat where no one can see you, and i was like Lol you've got a lot to learn.

anway, if someone has a smelly gob in ramadan, just had them a miswak! lol

Abû Hurayrah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah says: ‘Every deed of the child of Adam is for himself, except for fasting. It is for Me and I shall reward it.’ Fasting is a shield, so if it is a day of fasting for any one of you, then he should engage in no obscenity or shouting. If anyone belittles him or fights with him, he should just say ‘I am a person who is fasting’. [u]I swear by Him in whose hand is Muhammad’s soul, the smell of the fasting person’s breath is sweeter to Allah on the Day of Judgment than that of musk.[/u] The fasting person has two occasions for joy, one when he breaks his fast because of his breaking it and the other when he meets his Lord because of the reward for his fast.” sahih al bukhari. subhaan'Allah

Just because it smells like that to Allah (swt), it doesn't mean that it smells like to anyone else!

Anyway, presumably someone's breath would still smell of musk even if he brushes his teeth.

And one of the worst forms of dawa is stinky breath.
As in everything, actions are judged on their intentions.

On a side note, 'Colgate' in Spanish means 'go hang yourself' Lol

yeah, it's always good to brush the teeth.

"You" wrote:
yeah, it's always good to brush the teeth.

ditto you dont wanna end up with rotten teeth plus its good to get the lil bits of food out of your teeth.

"fizzy1" wrote:
is it ok to use mouthwash in the morning [b]before[/b] you keep your fast??

The answer is in your question.

If you're not fasting then you can even drink your mouthwash.... although I wouldn't recommend it.