The teach me Urdu thread

119 posts / 0 new
Last post

punjabi is well confusing
when i go to kal my mum n his mum starts talkin 2 me i jus nod n say jeey 2 everytyhing she says
i bet she finkz am dumb o something

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

So has anyone learnt any Arabic?

I don't mean just how to recite Qur'an. Can anyone UNDERSTAND it without the translation?

If not, how willing would you be to give up some of your time to study it.

I know a few people who have studied in Egypt and Syria, the benefits that they have gained are almost immeasurable!

They all now read the English translations with DISDAIN! (not in a superior, degrading way or anything, but they just tell you that it is IMPOSSIBLE to convey much of the beauty and hidden messages of the Qur'an, what it suggests without saying explicitly, etc).

Imagine standing this Ramadan in Taraweh, understanding FULLY what the Imam is reciting, surely you would be bought to tears?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

No i haven't started learning Arabic but i would love to. My sister is planning to go to Syria like in 2 years time (that's only if mum lets her) and learn Arabic. Insha'Allah some day in the near future i will definitely go to Syria to learn Arabic, but in the meantime, i will start learning it here.

helloo, what's happening with my online urdu lessons? admin?

The only way to learn is to speak it. And not be shy.

If you don't know how to say something particular, just ask.

When I was a kid, after hearing the story of Malcolm X reading the dictionary, I thought I would do the same thing. one word a day. I still remember the first word. "Abase". (I gave up after one day, so there was not a second word...)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"You" wrote:
The only way to learn is to speak it. And not be shy.

If you don't know how to say something particular, just ask.

Admins right.

The only way to learn is to learn by doing. Speak, read, write urdu. Its the only way you'll get it.

Personally i started learning urdu inorder to read urdu poetry... and then asking my mom what specific words meant.

Back in BLACK

"You" wrote:

angle = finger.

I'm sure that is oungli, aint angle in mp?

Mirpuri can be respectful just depends what term you use ie tu (you)-rude for saying you and tusan(you) respectful way silent 'n'.

I would teach my kids mirpuri/urdu and obv english.

Noor tell us what you wana know ie words/sentences etc

most of admins list is mirpuri (well thats how i say it anyway) except for feet and leg i call them something else.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"Naz" wrote:
most of admins list is mirpuri (well thats how i say it anyway) except for feet and leg i call them something else.

do u guys say Jhaang and Peehr looool Lol

"Ya'qub" wrote:
burronaq means 'big nose'

Yep, I must say urdu and bengali seems to be very similar, esp. with the words admin's posted.

A friend of mine is considering going to Egypt to learn Arabic, something to do with it being cheaper than going to Syria (I think). He's attending part-time Arabic classes and knows the basics.

Noor what u've said is mirpuri what admin quoted is urdu cept for the fingers part.

My urdu is okayish if i must say so.

"Angel" wrote:
Noor what u've said is mirpuri what admin quoted is urdu cept for the fingers part.

My urdu is okayish if i must say so.

lol. but your mirpuri lingo is hilarious Lol

"Noor" wrote:

lol yeah

I'm so used to it that i dont find it funny anymore, urdu defo sounds more polite

me neighbours speak mirpuri and i cannot understand a word of what they're saying. they talk waay to fast.

anyway, i'm on a mission to learn urdu.

"Naz" wrote:
"Noor" wrote:

lol yeah

loool
sounds funny bt normally i dont even realise
any1 speak a mix of mirpuri and english lyk my dad does
"jaa water neyaa"
and if some ask'z for me
"he's at the pichay (back)"
lol sounds well funny

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

If anyone can translate this, I'll give them a fiver.

The saying discribes in one sentence, the Muslim world's thinking about past, present and future relations with the US.

"Amreeka asaan ki sirf yarkaana charaan sa teh jislay assan na yarkay teh fir apun yarki ghiya"

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

"malik" wrote:

The saying discribes in one sentence, the Muslim world's thinking about past, present and future relations with the US.

"Amreeka asaan ki sirf yarkaana charaan sa teh jislay assan na yarkay teh fir apun yarki ghiya"

'When the going gets tough, the tough get rough"

"malik" wrote:

Easy with America...... something something something. Sorry, my mother tongue isn't Urdu so I've never really had the need for it. But I can try.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

"malik" wrote:

"[b]Amreeka[/b] asaan ki sirf yarkaana charaan sa teh jislay assan na yarkay teh fir apun yarki ghiya"

america

blah blah blah lol

"malik" wrote:

That's not exactly Urdu is it?

America just wants to do *something* to us. But when we don't *something* it does *something* to itself.

I doubt Alama Iqbal wrote that...

In Saudi, my broken Urdu stopped shopkeepers/taxi drivers from taking the mick.

On the streets/airport speaking English stopped the police/public/hotel managers from pushing me around.

In people's houses I avoided speaking Urdu in case I insult them.

Its amazing how much language can make a difference.

My dad who's a Urdu speaker, can speak fantastic punjabi, Mirpuri and even Arabic when needs be.

urdu is a lovely language i only wish i'd concentrated more when my mum taught me up to book 12 - and i learned very little - now i'm stuck on just the title of khudi and bay khudi

please does anyone know of excellent English translations of Sir Alama Iqbal's poetry?

my husband tries to explain Sir Iqbal's work to me but i want to learn it and understand it for myself, because i wickedly believe that i'd have a better understanding then him

I would love to learn Arabic. Now that really is a beautiful language. Whether the songs are in Arabic or just Arabic being spoken i could listen to it all day. The only word i know and understand is la shukran (no thank you).

"Naz" wrote:
I would love to learn Arabic. Now that really is a beautiful language. Whether the songs are in Arabic or just Arabic being spoken i could listen to it all day. The only word i know and understand is la shukran (no thank you).

how about 'alhamdulillah'?

yeah i know the meaning of that word but i was thinking more along the line of words which you can use perhaps to start a conversation. Like hi how are you? Nice weather were having? blah blah blah

"Naz" wrote:
yeah i know the meaning of that word but i was thinking more along the line of words which you can use perhaps to start a conversation. Like hi how are you? Nice weather were having? blah blah blah

how about 'assalamu alaikum'?

kaifa halik? how are you Give rose
behair allahamdulliah - fine thanks
wa antey - and u?

Yopu only need to learn one thing.

"Yalla, Yalla" with a dismissive/derisory wave of the hand.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Pages