The teach me Urdu thread

This is for the urdu speaking members of the forum, please can u teach me urdu Smile mom and dad screw at us kids for not speaking urdu, so i appeal to you guys. And please don't say go and read them urdu books, they do my heading in!

The basics of how to speak will do me fine.

JaazakAllah khayr.

Can't your parents / friends / relatives teach you?

relatives don't speak urdu, we all speak good ol' english! mom and dad wont teach me unless i read the damn urdu book which i hate! and as for urdu speaking friends.. errm, nah, don't want them taking the micky!

Lesson number 1 - Not urdu, but "hoar phir". For anyone from around Mirpur this is a hwole conversation in itself. It means "what else?".

I have the habit of saying that to anyone and everyone. Only those that know me know I say it in jest.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

LOL!

for a second i thought, what the hell is "hoar phir" haha

i thought them guys said "hoar kaer" not "phir", "kaer" sounds so much ruder.

i can't speak any urdu, my parents never taught me it!

i would, however, like to learn a simple, only-slightly-offensive insult to use on my friends.

the one i learnt in Bengali is 'Burronaq!' (dont know if i spelt it correctly)

Don't just do something! Stand there.

paki/bengi swear words sound so much ruder than the english ones, i hate it when asians swear in their language, it's disgusting!

"Noor" wrote:
paki/bengi swear words sound so much ruder than the english ones, i hate it when asians swear in their language, it's disgusting!

i didn't mean swear words!

burronaq means 'big nose' (ask MuslimBro i fI'm right. otherwise i've been grossly offending everone. again.)

something like that. anyone?

That does sound about right.

Urdu would be "Barra Naaq" for the same thing. Got any requests?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

admin, have you got a barra naaq? loool, that word is hi-larious!

barra = big

naaq = nose

qaan = ear/s

haath = hands.

Pown = feet (don't pronounce the "n". Just hint at it)

taang = leg.

angle = finger.

"You" wrote:
barra = big

naaq = nose

qaan = ear/s

haath = hands.

Pown = feet (don't pronounce the "n". Just hint at it)

taang = leg.

angle = finger.

ok, i'll start calling all my pakistani friends 'burro taang' now.

they'll like that.

"Noor" wrote:
relatives don't speak urdu, we all speak good ol' english! mom and dad wont teach me unless i read the damn urdu book which i hate! and as for urdu speaking friends.. errm, nah, don't want them taking the micky!

hang on let me get this straight your telling me that you dont speak any other language apart from english?

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

never mind urdo, mirpuri the best laungauge in the world
itz like a pick n mix of gujrati, punjabi and urdo so wich ever words we like, we take lol

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

"M4k4v3l1" wrote:
itz like a pick n mix of gujrati, punjabi and urdo so wich ever words we like, we take lol

lol for once i actually agree. You just cant go wrong

"M4k4v3l1" wrote:

But i dont think it sounds as good as urdu.

Alot of Mirpuri families I know insist on their kids speaking urdu rather than mirpuri.

Back in BLACK

"M4k4v3l1" wrote:
I absolutely disagree.

I don't see anything good in Mirpuri. It's rough, rugged and can be tongue-tying. I've yet to hear someone speak it poetically. And to make it worse Mirpuri can't be written - if it can it'll be a mission to read it.

It's difficlut to differentiate sarcasm from seriousness. Whenver someone is being serious they have to either shout or swear.

Urdu is much better. It's soft, poetic, and good to listen to.

"ßeast" wrote:

Isnt that what i said?

Back in BLACK

Urdu is not a real spoken language though. It is way too formal.

"ßeast" wrote:
To mikee ni sumjya.

I understand you perfectly thank u.

Urdu = poetic
Mirpuri = not so much.

"You" wrote:

Sure it is. Where've you been? When im at my relies house ... urdu... when im at my friends house i speak urdu to his parents as they speak it to their kids. Maybe its coz you dont get out much. Wink

Back in BLACK

"You" wrote:

On a plane back from Pakistan I was speaking to Supreme Court lawyer sitting next to me - like you do.

I started speaking in Urdu thinking that's probably what he speaks. Then my uncle came and spoke to him and they spoke in something not too dissimilar to Mirpuri.

"Seraphim" wrote:
"You" wrote:

Sure it is. Where've you been? When im at my relies house ... urdu... when im at my friends house i speak urdu to his parents as they speak it to their kids. Maybe its coz you dont get out much. Wink

I can speak totally fine urdu, thankyou very much. Though it has been said I sound like someone from Karachi in the speaking style. No idea if that is a compliment or an insult.

It can be spoken, and is. That does not stop it being a formal language.

"You" wrote:
That does not stop it being a formal language.

Formal is how that Fraud Online, I mean Aalim Online, speaks Urdu.

"ßeast" wrote:
"You" wrote:
That does not stop it being a formal language.

Formal is how that Fraud Online, I mean Aalim Online, speaks Urdu.

I have seen him once.

He... speaks... ... ... .. .. .. ve..ry .... .... .slo....wly.

"ßeast" wrote:
"M4k4v3l1" wrote:
I absolutely disagree.

I don't see anything good in Mirpuri. It's rough, rugged and can be tongue-tying. I've yet to hear someone speak it poetically. And to make it worse Mirpuri can't be written - if it can it'll be a mission to read it.

It's difficlut to differentiate sarcasm from seriousness. Whenver someone is being serious they have to either shout or swear.

thats the thing about the mirpuri langauge its not intended to be polite :twisted:

"Naz" wrote:
"Noor" wrote:

hang on let me get this straight your telling me that you dont speak any other language apart from english?

well kind of, i speak broken punjabi and that’s only when i have to speak it, but even then, i throw in a lot of english words. i just can't stand the language, it's so trampy.

It is far more nuanced than you might expect.

Like me. I can be extremely polite in my speaking. However if s person chooses to be obnoxious, they have a greater freedom than some other languages.

"Noor" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:
"Noor" wrote:

well kind of, i speak broken punjabi and that’s only when i have to speak it, but even then, i throw in a lot of english words. i just can't stand the language, it's so trampy.

its not that bad urdu is too posh (well in my view) and if you speak it round our end you just get takin the mick out of. Even i cant help but smile when somone speaks urdu its sounds so funny (to me) but then again ppl who speak urdu probs find the way i speak funny.

i personally think its more respectful to speak in urdu than punjabi. i end up dissing someone when speaking the little punjabi i no, and mum always tells me of for using disrespectful terms when referring to older people :?

i blame my mum and dad, it's their fault that they dint speak to us in urdu when we were little.

"Noor" wrote:
i personally think its more respectful to speak in urdu than punjabi. i end up dissing someone when speaking the little punjabi i no, and mum always tells me of for using disrespectful terms when referring to older people :?

i blame my mum and dad, it's their fault that they dint speak to us in urdu when we were little.

In that case you need to learn more polite words of punjabi. Its how you structure a sentence that makes all the difference. Think about it first (thats what i do) if it sounds orite then just say it if it dont just smile and nod lol.

Pages