The world's strangest laws

25. It is illegal for a cab in the City of London to carry rabid dogs or corpses.

24. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

23. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down.

22. In France, it is forbidden to call a pig Napoleon.

21. Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know, though you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.

20. In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle.

19. In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk.

18. Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.

17. In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

16. In Lancashire, no person is permitted after being asked to stop by a constable on the seashore to incite a dog to bark.

15. In Miami, Florida, it is illegal to skateboard in a police station.

14. In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation.

13. In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.

12. In London, Freemen are allowed to take a flock of sheep across London Bridge without being charged a toll; they are also allowed to drive geese down Cheapside.

11. In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.

10. In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.

9. In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed.

8. In Kentucky, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six-feet long.

7. In Chester, Welshmen are banned from entering the city before sunrise and from staying after sunset.

6. In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

5. In Boulder, Colorado, it is illegal to kill a bird within the city limits and also to “own” a pet – the town’s citizens, legally speaking, are merely “pet minders”.

4. In Vermont, women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

3. In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.

2. In Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman’s genitals but is forbidden from looking directly at them during the examination; he may only see their reflection in a mirror.

1. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.

Source: The Times

4. :shock: Lol

24. you cant exactly help it if u die in the house of parliament, i mean, they cant exactly arrest u once your dead.

This is why I'm becoming a lawyer, insha'Allah.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

go you, so u doing a degree then?

"Noor" wrote:
go you, so u doing a degree then?

nope! an ILEX course

dont need a smelly degree to become a lawyer.

ILEX? what the hell is that? bless my uncle, spent like 10 years do a flamin law degree, and now he's set up his own firm and we dont see him anymore Cray 2

wish you all the best akhi, insha'Allah you'll become a top lawyer Wink

ILEX is the Institute of Legal Executives.

So insha'Allah I'll be a legal executive, which is a lawyer, but different from solicitor or barrister.

I'm guessing ur uncle deals with Immigration and Criminal Defense, right? o yeah, forgot the family law too! Blum 3

nah he's not into that, i think he was doing something relating to property law or maybe not :?

i cant keep up with his qualifications.

"Ya'qub" wrote:

dont need a smelly degree to become a lawyer.

heeeeey
its the quickest route to become a lawyer (4 years). Otherwise what is it 7 or 10 years working as a legal executive. Blum 3

"Ya'qub" wrote:
So insha'Allah I'll be a legal executive, which is a lawyer, but different from solicitor or barrister.

no its not more like lawyers skivy lol.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

no, a legal executive IS a lawyer!

a legal exec is an expert who solicitors consult with certain types of law ACTUALLY. Dirol

"Ya'qub" wrote:

a legal exec is an expert who solicitors consult with certain types of law ACTUALLY. Dirol

do they heck. All legal executive do is act on instructions given to them by a lawyer. If a legal executive is a lawyer then why dont they interview clients, attend court and more importantly win cases. I will tell you why coz they aint lawyers. Biggrin

ps lawyers have books if they need to find a specific law.

"Naz" wrote:
"Ya'qub" wrote:

do they heck. All legal executive do is act on instructions given to them by a lawyer. If a legal executive is a lawyer then why dont they interview clients, attend court and more importantly win cases. I will tell you why coz they aint lawyers. Biggrin

if match of the day wasnt on i would lay the SMACKDOWN on you! Blum 3

^^^^ lol sowi
i'll tell you what coz im so nice one day inshallah i hope to set up by own law firm and when i do you can come and work for me, i will give you a good rate of pay, your own office with a leather chair lol (if i need any law checking up i wont bother to buy any books il just ask you Biggrin )

In one of the states in America (I think California I'm not sure), A man is the legal owner of his wife's hair!

And in another state (in the deep South I think) it is illegal for cats to chase dogs up lamp posts!

Land of the Free indeed....

"Ya'qub" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:
"Ya'qub" wrote:

Well, ILEX people don't represent but they still work with the law. I prefer criminal and family law, I'm thinking of being a barrister, Inshalah.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

"Courage" wrote:
"Ya'qub" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:
"Ya'qub" wrote:

Well, ILEX people don't represent but they still work with the law. I prefer criminal and family law, I'm thinking of being a barrister, Inshalah.

insha'Allah

There used to be a Muslim woman at my workplace who was a barrister. When she went to court I think she wore the white-wig over her hijab!

"Ya'qub" wrote:

There used to be a Muslim woman at my workplace who was a barrister. When she went to court I think she wore the white-wig over her hijab!

Yeah, im sure thats what we all want to see... women in white wigs. lol

Back in BLACK

"Courage" wrote:
"Ya'qub" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:
"Ya'qub" wrote:

cool we need more women in the law profession (im assuming your a sister, if your not then im really sorry and no offence intended)

"Ya'qub" wrote:

them wigs are suppose to be real expensive something like 85 quid! (i think).

"Naz" wrote:

cool we need more women in the law profession (im assuming your a sister, if your not then im really sorry and no offence intended)

Courage is obviously a guy. The things he says are too intelligent to be from a girl :twisted:

"Naz" wrote:

i dont think 85 quid is a lot of money for a barrister.

They earn THOUSANDS per month

"Naz" wrote:
im assuming your a sister

am not suprised
you assume the same bout evry1

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

"Naz" wrote:
"Courage" wrote:
"Ya'qub" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:
"Ya'qub" wrote:

"Ya'qub" wrote:

None taken, mate! Lol But I've said on another thread that I'm a 16 year old GUY! Oh and Yaqub, thanks for the compliment but please don't stereotype. You're too enlightened for that.
Naz might get offended.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Beast wrote:

8. In Kentucky, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six-feet long.

But 5ft11 is okay?

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Beast wrote:
11. In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.

I guess that would work.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Not in Islam!

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

The Lamp wrote:
Not in Islam!

???

expand. what is not in islam?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

In Saudi, Women aren't allowed to drive any vehicle.

(Apologies if someone has already mentioned it)

boo! we only want to good type of strange laws here.

In Islam a woman keeps her name. I wouldn't go as far to say it's haram, just an alien concept to the Sahaba.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

I doubt there is a religious requirement for a woman to keep her surname.

So I was just querying the choice of words "In Islam" vs "Muslims generally".

Maybe there is more to it? no idea.

You wrote:
I doubt there is a religious requirement for a woman to keep her surname.

So I was just querying the choice of words "In Islam" vs "Muslims generally".

Maybe there is more to it? no idea.

In Arabic there isn't really such thing as a 'surname'... just Bin or Binti (and then their parent's first name).

Pages