The Night Journey

Salaam

It was during this blessed month that the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) travelled from Mecca to Jerusalem on a heavenly animal called Bur’aq.

He then ascended to heaven with angel Gabriel, met the other Prophets, led prayer and met the angels. He was shown heaven and hell and more importantly saw and met Allah (swt).

The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) conversed directly with Allah (swt).

On that night no one witnessed what was said or what happened between Allah (swt) and the Holy Prophet (saw), because during that night our Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) crossed ‘Sidrat-ul-Muntaha’, the highest place on the last heaven where even angel Gabriel was unable to cross…some information regarding this interaction/journey is revealed to us through the Qur’an and hadiths whilst the rest is a secret…

This incident took place on the 27th of Rajab (2nd/3rd September this year?)…

The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) returned home on the same night and reports suggest that his bed was still warm…

This was not a dream but took place in the state of full consciousness…. many people dispute the details of this event but no one can deny that this blessed journey took place and is the greatest miracle ever to be bestowed on the Holy Prophet (saw).

So what did the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) see? What did he witness in Heaven/hell? Why did Allah (swt) choose that specific time in the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) life to take him on a night journey?

What should WE do on the 27th Rajab? Should we treat it just as any other night because the companions never did anything special?

Please discuss all you know regarding this miraculous event.

Wasalaam

Salam

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Please discuss all you know regarding this miraculous event.

All we know ?

I dont think so.

The BOSS will not tolerate all of it.

He has a habit of censoring the bits that he finds unpalatable.

All I will say it that it is a night of celebration.

We will be marking this event with a special get together. Its going to be an all night party.

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:

Its going to be an all night party.

will cheese and wine be served in ur party?

that ur fav munch aint it

and will this party take lace in ur home or in the mosque?

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Salaam

It was during this blessed month that the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) travelled from Mecca to Jerusalem on a heavenly animal called Bur’aq.

He then ascended to heaven with angel Gabriel, met the other Prophets, led prayer and met the angels. He was shown heaven and hell and more importantly saw and met Allah (swt).

The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) conversed directly with Allah (swt).

On that night no one witnessed what was said or what happened between Allah (swt) and the Holy Prophet (saw), because during that night our Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) crossed ‘Sidrat-ul-Muntaha’, the highest place on the last heaven where even angel Gabriel was unable to cross…some information regarding this interaction/journey is revealed to us through the Qur’an and hadiths whilst the rest is a secret…

This incident took place on the 27th of Rajab (2nd/3rd September this year?)…

The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) returned home on the same night and reports suggest that his bed was still warm…

This was not a dream but took place in the state of full consciousness…. many people dispute the details of this event but no one can deny that this blessed journey took place and is the greatest miracle ever to be bestowed on the Holy Prophet (saw).

So what did the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) see? What did he witness in Heaven/hell? Why did Allah (swt) choose that specific time in the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) life to take him on a night journey?

What should WE do on the 27th Rajab? Should we treat it just as any other night because the companions never did anything special?

Please discuss all you know regarding this miraculous event.

Wasalaam

What is the origin of the story that Jerusalem is the place that Muhammad traveled to?

I have heard conflicting reports that it is not mentioned explicitly in the Quran, and rather comes from an 8th century hadith or that it is mentioned in the Quran and disputed in a hadith.

Itys expplicitly mentioned.

'Subhanallazi asra be abdihi laylan minal masjidil haraame ilal masjidil aqsa...'

Approximate translation:

'Glory be to Allah, who took his servant during the night from the Mosque alharam (Makkah) to the mosque Alaqsa...'

(Thats a quick transliteration and translation off the top of my head in the middle of the night, So inshallah I will not have made any mistakes in either the original translitteration, or my translation, but there may be innacuracies. The general gist of it is there though.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Dave" wrote:

I have heard conflicting reports that it is not mentioned explicitly in the Quran, and rather comes from an 8th century hadith or that it is mentioned in the Quran and disputed in a hadith.

some of it is mentioned in the quran

but most details are given in hadiths

reagrding what he saw and how he got there

"Admin" wrote:
Itys expplicitly mentioned.

'Subhanallazi asra be abdihi laylan minal masjidil haraame ilal masjidil aqsa...'

Approximate translation:

'Glory be to Allah, who took his servant during the night from the Mosque alharam (Makkah) to the mosque Alaqsa...'

(Thats a quick transliteration and translation off the top of my head in the middle of the night, So inshallah I will not have made any mistakes in either the original translitteration, or my translation, but there may be innacuracies. The general gist of it is there though.)

I thought the Al Aqsa mosque was built after Muhammad died

nope, i think im correct in saying it was there before.

that was the direction people prayed in before Makkah

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Hayder Hussain" wrote:
nope, i think im correct in saying it was there before.

that was the direction people prayed in before Makkah

Who built it? - and was it built on the temple mount?

...who let them build it there?

I didn't think the Byzantines were all that receptive to muslims

im not too sure.....i'll let someone else take the reigns from here...

but it was the direction before Allah Swt's house in Makkah was made by Ibrahim (AS). that should give an indication as to how long ago it was built.....very

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Q5. Why is there no mention of Jerusalem in the Koran? While Mecca and Medina, are the holy sites of Muslims they have determined that Jerusalem is the third holiest site. On what do they base this rationale? Henry F LeMoine, Florida, USA

A. Jerusalem is known in Arabic as Al-Quds or Baitul-Maqdis - The Noble, Sacred Place. Jerusalem is known as the land of many prophets and Muslims revere all of the Biblical prophets, such as Abraham, Moses, David, Solomon, and Jesus.

Jerusalem was originally the first Qibla for Muslims - the place toward which they turned in prayer. It was many years into the inception of Islam that the Prophet was instructed to change the Qibla from Jerusalem to Mecca (2:142-144).

It is reported that the Prophet said: "There are only three mosques to which you should embark on a journey: the sacred mosque (Mecca, Saudi Arabia), this mosque of mine (Madinah, Saudi Arabia), and the mosque of Al-Aqsa (Jerusalem)."

It is Jerusalem that the Prophet visited during his night journey and ascension, called Israa and Miraaj. In one evening, the angel Gabriel miraculously took the Prophet from the sacred mosque in Mecca to the furthest mosque, Al-Aqsa, in Jerusalem. He was taken up to the heavens to be shown the signs of God.

The Prophet met with previous prophets and led them in prayer. He was then taken back to Mecca. The whole experience, which Muslim commentators take literally and Muslims believe as a miracle, lasted a few hours of a night.

The event of Israa and Miraaj is mentioned in the Koran (17:1): "Glory to Allah, Who did take His servant for a journey by night, from the Sacred Mosque to the Farthest Mosque, whose precincts We did bless - in order that We might show him some of Our signs. For He is the One who hears and knows all things."

This night journey further reinforced the link between Mecca and Jerusalem as holy cities, and serves as an example of every Muslim's deep devotion and spiritual connection with Jerusalem.

[url=http://www.therevival.co.uk/islam/understanding_islam_telegraph.php]Revival Website[/url]...which I DO vist reg- Mr Ed :evil:

i saw a picture in my school college library that showed the animal that the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) travelled on in Miraj

the painting was called "Al Buraq"

I've also seen this pic in the front cover of islamic books

the animal is white, body like a horse and a HUMAN FACE :shock:

is this a tru descrition of the animal the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) travelled on?

No we do not know what it looks like.

It does not stop people's wild imaginations though...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

This was shaykh ul islam's lecture y'day once i recover i will give a summary of the lecture but untill then il leave it to the rest of the ppl who attended the conference..this was an excellant lecture as always, a lot of things were clarified.

"Admin" wrote:
No we do not know what it looks like.

It does not stop people's wild imaginations though...

it has been decribed though

lots of stuff seen in the Miraj has been described

and Dave -grow up :roll:

"angel" wrote:
This was shaykh ul islam's lecture y'day once i recover i will give a summary of the lecture but untill then il leave it to the rest of the ppl who attended the conference..this was an excellant lecture as always, a lot of things were clarified.

not me.....didnt understand much Lol

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Hayder Hussain" wrote:
"angel" wrote:
This was shaykh ul islam's lecture y'day once i recover i will give a summary of the lecture but untill then il leave it to the rest of the ppl who attended the conference..this was an excellant lecture as always, a lot of things were clarified.

not me.....didnt understand much Lol

salaam

Lecture was amazing, powerful, intellectual, full of evidence...covered the issue of mi'raj aswell as highlighting the status of the Prophet (saw). Very few scholars in the world can deliver a speech of that calibre.

wasalaam

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
and Dave -grow up :roll:

Never!

See on this journey when the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) went to miraj sharif and he Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) bought us back the gift of namaz, shaykh ul islam said when you read namaz consider that your miraj sharif...and normally i dont cry durin my namaz but when i was readin it y'day and 2day again i cried, i rembered shaykh ul islam's words and its so true we take namaz for granted but if we read it thinkin it as a blessing and gift from the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) then we can know the true value of this gift of namaz.

"angel" wrote:
See on this journey when the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) went to miraj sharif and he Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) bought us back the gift of namaz, shaykh ul islam said when you read namaz consider that your miraj sharif...and normally i dont cry durin my namaz but when i was readin it y'day and 2day again i cried, i rembered shaykh ul islam's words and its so true we take namaz for granted but if we read it thinkin it as a blessing and gift from the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) then we can know the true value of this gift of namaz.

What else did he speak about?

I love his explanation of Salaah as well....how, returning 9 times to get the prayer reduced was just an excuse to see the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) again and for the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) to see his Lord again....cos of course God knows better then Prophet Musa (AS) how many prayers the Holy Prophet (saw)'s Ummat can bear.

Shaykh ul islam went over how even jibreel (as) couldnt go much further as that was how much he could handle same for the buraq..also he touched upon the holy prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) being noor and the hadith mubarak of the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) where the holy prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) has said that the place from his house to his restin place is a part of janath and how Allah (swt) actully took clay from that place to make the Holy Prophet (saw)and the fact that no one denys jannath being noor so how can one deny the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) being noor when his body mubarak was made from the clay taken frm a part of jannah....does that make sense?

The rest gota refer to sis's note, memory is very weak...lecture was in urdu again an excellant account...have you heard the lecture where Shaykh ul islam explains that concept of Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) being noor, its a full lecture in urdu and its wow..

p.s. also the speed of light was discussed in relation to the buraq, i am sure all the physicists understood it well, i did but cant explain it.

Salam

The story about fifty prayers is obviously coined.

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:

The story about fifty prayers is obviously coined.

whatever u say Mr Know it all :roll:

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam

The story about fifty prayers is obviously coined.

Omrow

below is a lengthy hadith which covers the story of mi'raj...which includes the part of the fifty prayers, so that is not coined or made up...

Narrated Anas bin Malik

The night Allah's Apostle was taken for a journey from the sacred mosque (of Mecca) Al-Ka'ba: Three persons came to him in a dreamy while he was sleeping in the Sacred Mosque before the Divine Inspiration was revealed to Him. One of them said, "Which of them is he?" The middle (second) angel said, "He is the best of them." The last (third) angle said, "Take the best of them." Only that much happened on that night and he did not see them till they came on another night, i.e. after The Divine Inspiration was revealed to him. (Fateh-Al-Bari Page 258, Vol. 17) and he saw them, his eyes were asleep but his heart was not----and so is the case with the prophets: their eyes sleep while their hearts do not sleep. So those angels did not talk to him till they carried him and placed him beside the well of Zam-Zam. From among them Gabriel took charge of him. Gabriel cut open (the part of his body) between his throat and the middle of his chest (heart) and took all the material out of his chest and abdomen and then washed it with Zam-Zam water with his own hands till he cleansed the inside of his body, and then a gold tray containing a gold bowl full of belief and wisdom was brought and then Gabriel stuffed his chest and throat blood vessels with it and then closed it (the chest). He then ascended with him to the heaven of the world and knocked on one of its doors.

The dwellers of the Heaven asked, 'Who is it?' He said, "Gabriel." They said, "Who is accompanying you?" He said, "Muhammad." They said, "Has he been called?" He said, "Yes" They said, "He is welcomed." So the dwellers of the Heaven became pleased with his arrival, and they did not know what Allah would do to the Prophet on earth unless Allah informed them. The Prophet met Adam over the nearest Heaven. Gabriel said to the Prophet, "He is your father; greet him." The Prophet greeted him and Adam returned his greeting and said, "Welcome, O my Son! O what a good son you are!" Behold, he saw two flowing rivers, while he was in the nearest sky. He asked, "What are these two rivers, O Gabriel?" Gabriel said, "These are the sources of the Nile and the Euphrates."

Then Gabriel took him around that Heaven and behold, he saw another river at the bank of which there was a palace built of pearls and emerald. He put his hand into the river and found its mud like musk Adhfar. He asked, "What is this, O Gabriel?" Gabriel said, "This is the Kauthar which your Lord has kept for you." Then Gabriel ascended (with him) to the second Heaven and the angels asked the same questions as those on the first Heaven, i.e., "Who is it?" Gabriel replied, "Gabriel". They asked, "Who is accompanying you?" He said, "Muhammad." They asked, "Has he been sent for?" He said, "Yes." Then they said, "He is welcomed.'' Then he (Gabriel) ascended with the Prophet to the third Heaven, and the angels said the same as the angels of the first and the second Heavens had said.

Then he ascended with him to the fourth Heaven and they said the same; and then he ascended with him to the fifth Heaven and they said the same; and then he ascended with him to the sixth Heaven and they said the same; then he ascended with him to the seventh Heaven and they said the same. On each Heaven there were prophets whose names he had mentioned and of whom I remember Idris on the second Heaven, Aaron on the fourth Heavens another prophet whose name I don't remember, on the fifth Heaven, Abraham on the sixth Heaven, and Moses on the seventh Heaven because of his privilege of talking to Allah directly. Moses said (to Allah), "O Lord! I thought that none would be raised up above me."

But Gabriel ascended with him (the Prophet) for a distance above that, the distance of which only Allah knows, till he reached the Lote Tree (beyond which none may pass) and then the Irresistible, the Lord of Honor and Majesty approached and came closer till he (Gabriel) was about two bow lengths or (even) nearer. (It is said that it was Gabriel who approached and came closer to the Prophet. (Fate Al-Bari Page 263, 264, Vol. 17). [b]Among the things which Allah revealed to him then, was: "Fifty prayers were enjoined on his followers in a day and a night."

Then the Prophet descended till he met Moses, and then Moses stopped him and asked, "O Muhammad ! What did your Lord en join upon you?" The Prophet replied," He enjoined upon me to perform fifty prayers in a day and a night." Moses said, "Your followers cannot do that; Go back so that your Lord may reduce it for you and for them." So the Prophet turned to Gabriel as if he wanted to consult him about that issue. Gabriel told him of his opinion, saying, "Yes, if you wish." So Gabriel ascended with him to the Irresistible and said while he was in his place, "O Lord, please lighten our burden as my followers cannot do that." So Allah deducted for him ten prayers where upon he returned to Moses who stopped him again and kept on sending him back to his Lord till the enjoined prayers were reduced to only five prayers.

Then Moses stopped him when the prayers had been reduced to five and said, "O Muhammad! By Allah, I tried to persuade my nation, Bani Israel to do less than this, but they could not do it and gave it up. However, your followers are weaker in body, heart, sight and hearing, so return to your Lord so that He may lighten your burden."

The Prophet turned towards Gabriel for advice and Gabriel did not disapprove of that. So he ascended with him for the fifth time. The Prophet said, "O Lord, my followers are weak in their bodies, hearts, hearing and constitution, so lighten our burden." On that the Irresistible said, "O Muhammad!" the Prophet replied, "Labbaik and Sa'daik." Allah said, "The Word that comes from Me does not change, so it will be as I enjoined on you in the Mother of the Book." Allah added, "Every good deed will be rewarded as ten times so it is fifty (prayers) in the Mother of the Book (in reward) but you are to perform only five (in practice)."[/b]
The Prophet returned to Moses who asked, "What have you done?" He said, "He has lightened our burden: He has given us for every good deed a tenfold reward." Moses said, "By Allah! I tried to make Bani Israel observe less than that, but they gave it up. So go back to your Lord that He may lighten your burden further." Allah's Apostle said, "O Moses! By Allah, I feel shy of returning too many times to my Lord." On that Gabriel said, "Descend in Allah's Name." The Prophet then woke while he was in the Sacred Mosque (at Mecca).

"angel" wrote:
Shaykh ul islam went over how even jibreel (as) couldnt go much further as that was how much he could handle same for the buraq..also he touched upon the holy prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) being noor

Very interesting interpretation.

You get people who say that the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was “just a man-a bashr like us” yet how many of us can claim to have crossed Siddra-tul-Muntaha, the highest place in heaven where even Angel Gabriel a creature made out of Noor/light was unable to cross cos he would have burned…

The above should settle the Noor or Bashr dispute.

Salam

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
"Omrow" wrote:
Salam

The story about fifty prayers is obviously coined.

Omrow

below is a lengthy hadith which covers the story...

Yes, that is the one I was referring to.

Omrow

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"angel" wrote:
Shaykh ul islam went over how even jibreel (as) couldnt go much further as that was how much he could handle same for the buraq..also he touched upon the holy prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) being noor

Very interesting interpretation.

You get people who say that the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was “just a man-a bashr like us” yet how many of us can claim to have crossed Siddra-tul-Muntaha, the highest place in heaven where even Angel Gabriel a creature made out of Noor/light was unable to cross cos he would have burned…

The above should settle the Noor or Bashr dispute.

But, if angel gabriel wasn't able to get by, even though he was made of noor, surely it was down to the blessing of Allah swt that the prophet saw was allowed to pass by. I personally, don't know much about the agrument about noor or bashr and neither do I want too, I rather focus on the message instead.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//www.guidancemedia.com/videostream.php?id=Burda.mov]Quran[/url]

everything that happens in life is due to blessings of God

the fact that the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was taken to Miraj in the first place was a blessing from God

"yuit" wrote:

But, if angel gabriel wasn't able to get by, even though he was made of noor, surely it was down to the blessing of Allah swt that the prophet saw was allowed to pass by. I personally, don't know much about the agrument about noor or bashr and neither do I want too, I rather focus on the message instead.

Yeh it was a blessing from Allah (swt) which is why i found it funy when ppl say that miraj sharif was only a dream the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) had, Allah (swt) can do anythin nothing is impossible.... The miraj sharif is beyond our thinkin and one should not question this as this is the miracle performed by Allah (swt).

"yuit" wrote:

But, if angel gabriel wasn't able to get by, even though he was made of noor, surely it was down to the blessing of Allah swt that the prophet saw was allowed to pass by. I personally, don't know much about the agrument about noor or bashr and neither do I want too, I rather focus on the message instead.

So then why did angel jibreel take the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) to a certain level and declare that he couldnt go further, what was the point of sayin that? What was the point of ridin the buraq when it only took the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) to only a certain level? I personally believe it was to show the status of the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) as Allah (swt) knows how far angel jibreel and the buraq could travel, rather i think Allah (swt) wanted us to show the status of the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and the fact that the Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is not an ordianry human like us and nor is he like the angels, infact he is superior to all creations.

Pages