ISSUE 8 - OUT NOW!

[img]
The Revival Magazine Issue 8 (July/August 2007) is OUT NOW!!!

I still need to put most of the things online, but the print version is now available for download.

But for those that have read it, you can now freely comment.

Opinions?

For links to all of our issues go to:

For Issue 7 go to:

[b]EDIT[/b] - post has been updated with new info.

I liked the Aliyah and Jameela conversation... It made me laugh and yeah its a reflection about how important seeking knowlege in Islam is to us all.

I also read the PROVOKED article (with regards domestic violence)... its very sad how muslim women suffer in silence and believe its acceptable for their partners to behave in this way when its most certainly not! May Allah give them strength.

has just ONE person read the magazine i take it then...
ermm..ok then. Lol

Ive not seen it since I saw the draft.

Mind you the only place ive been recently is to work and then home again. So no i havent seen it... well not in paper form anyway.

Back in BLACK

to London peeps:

Will anyone be distributing mags at Tower Hamlets Community Fair on Saturday? I have some friends with a stall selling t-shirts and thobes ( ) who have agreed to hand out mags too, however if anyone else is already planning to be there I'll tell them not to bother, cos I don't wanna waste mags that could be going round posher parts of London (ie north and west!!)

thanks

Don't just do something! Stand there.

*Ehem* I live in Tower Hamlets but I won't be there since you're mean about East London.

I'll let your friend do the honors Biggrin

heehee! i know you live in tower hamlets, i was just teasing!

its certainly NOT posh!

Any brothers from London willing to distribute here?

I know East London is a bit of a dump but this is a really beautiful park and the Unity Fayre has always been great fun to attend.

I was there last year and I loved it.

Shaam will be there....

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Any brothers from London willing to distribute here?

I know East London is a bit of a dump but this is a really beautiful park and the Unity Fayre has always been great fun to attend.

Shaam will be there....

MuslimBro can have this one!! Biggrin
im busy on sundays

I would love to....or maybe not Blum 3

but I burnt my arm about a week ago so sorry, won't be able to make it.

Btw Tower Hamlets maybe the most deprived borough in London but there are places which are posh. St. Katherines Docks (bit around Tower Bridge and around Canary Wharf.

I have updated the first post.

Editorial is also online.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I distributed a few mags today and everyone I spoke to said they loved it!

My sisters favourite article was Aliyah & Jameela. Ali & Jamal is a very tough act to follow but she thought it was really good.

I think domestic violence was a good topic to cover as a lot of people think it's ok for a guy to beat his wife. Even if some guys aren't like that, they still think they have that right if they want to. So all that Islamic evidence against domestic violence was really good.

The interview with the Muslim police constable was good, he answered all questions really straight and honestly it seems.

I [i]really [/i]liked the layout of the Muslim youth accounts. And no wonder everyone loved the mag, huh bro Ya'qub.

The general layout and adverts all looked really good. The mag seems to get better and better in its presentation.

Although I have to say I really didn't like the layout of the 10 things article. It was just really boring which is a shame coz the article was really good. Our suggestions on the forum were all over the place, but the article tied in everything really well.

Overall I think it was yet another brilliant issue!

Muslim Bro, how did you burn your arm, you're not into burning things again are you?!! And what did you think of the mag?

Nice mag for the street type youth however it is not my kind of thing.

I prefer more intellectual, interesting magazine and I have not really ever seen a good one.

The emel is just good because of its pics and gloss. The Islam Magazine is quite good and it informs you on what is going on.

I personally like the seasons magazine of the Zaytuna Institute however it is a bit too intellectual and boring.

I'm more of a book person than a magazine person.

"Purity is half of faith.......Prayer is the light...patience is illumination; and the Quran is an argument for or against you. Everyone starts his day and is a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or bringing about its ruin." Muslim

"Imaani" wrote:
Muslim Bro, how did you burn your arm, you're not into burning things again are you?!! And what did you think of the mag?

I spilt a whole pan of hot cooking oil on my right arm and the fingers on my left hand.

I haven't read the magazine...yet.

Ouch.

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]

Wishing you r'fuah sh'leima, a good recovery.

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]

"MuslimBro" wrote:
I spilt a whole pan of hot cooking oil on my right arm and the fingers on my left hand.

Ouch!

Hope u recover fast.

"MuslimBro" wrote:

ooh must be painful.

May God grant you with a quick recovery.

Try to be more careful next time.

"Purity is half of faith.......Prayer is the light...patience is illumination; and the Quran is an argument for or against you. Everyone starts his day and is a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or bringing about its ruin." Muslim

Had a quick look through as the internet is running slow for some reason and its taking forever.

Pg 3 Farah Iqbal makes a very valid point about the use of punjabi/urdu in the mag. It personally doesnt bother me because i understand it but what about ppl who dont? I think this issue could be resolved by either getting rid of punjabi/urdu words and sticking with the english language OR keep the punjabi/urdu and after it explain the meaning of the word in brackets.

pg 4 I see you havent taken the cosmopolitan or grazia approach by not making Jameela and Aliyah size 0 :D. Also the gold hoop earring on Aliyah does not co ordinate with anything shes wearing! She should have been given either red earrings to match her dress or blue to match the leggings. Lastly i think both Jameela and Aliyah are just as good as Ali and Jamal dont know what some of you are on about.

Pg 5 domestic violence, covered very well, i think it is a topic that defo needed to be covered as you hve defo done justice to it well done!

Pg 8 the font is a bit hard to read (or maybe it was just my eyes)

Overall the articles were well spaced out, presentable, really colourful and the front cover is eye catching. Lastly the advertisments in the mag are mostly of businesses/services in oldham. As you are oldham based this is understandable BUT most of your readers are not local therefore maybe you could advertise other businesses/services outside thr oldham borough.

erm yeah i think thats it

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"Imaani" wrote:

Oh no!! That's sounds really painful. Are you alright? Were the burns really bad?

"Naz" wrote:

Also the gold hoop earring on Aliyah does not co ordinate with anything shes wearing! She should have been given either red earrings to match her dress or blue to match the leggings.

Can't believe you said that about the 'blue leggings', my friend thought that too, she was like 'those leggings aren't realistic' about how not many Aliyah type girls wear them. Lol I'm sure they are supposed to be jeans!!
"Naz" wrote:

And she said that too about the Hadith. She thought it was the choice of colour used.

"Imaani" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:

Also the gold hoop earring on Aliyah does not co ordinate with anything shes wearing! She should have been given either red earrings to match her dress or blue to match the leggings.

Can't believe you said that about the 'blue leggings', my friend thought that too, she was like 'those leggings aren't realistic' about how not many Aliyah type girls wear them. Lol I'm sure they are supposed to be jeans!!
"Naz" wrote:

And she said that too about the Hadith. She thought it was the choice of colour used.

maybe Naz is ur friend, in disguise!!

Hey...

Or maybe not. Naz lives in Manchester.

"Imaani" wrote:
Hey...

Or maybe not. Naz lives in Oldham.

thats what she wants u to think Dirol

I read the magazine (online) and got a few points.

- The front cover was ace!
- Being a sheep means following others (a follower) so doesn't following the Prophet (pbuh) make you a sheep?
- I agree with Naz, why are all the adverts for businesses based in Oldham?
- Yaqub is in the Editorial team....I'm impressed. And you could have atleast put a better pic in the magazine :wink:. Also, the AK47 is NOT a machine gun, its an assault rifle!
- Imaani, is that your name I also see in the Editorial team?
- The glossary is a good idea but the word halal/haram is obvious and everyone knows what it means.
- You spelt Khatija wrong in the Aliyah & Jameela article, should be Khadija(h).
- The domestic violence article seemed to be portraying women as the only victims, you should have atleast had a man's account of the experience of domestic violence in there.

That's all for now Biggrin

PS. Thanks to the people for your healing words. I am getting better, some of the burnt skin has started to peel off. It's good to experience pain once in a while....

"Imaani" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:

"Naz" wrote:

well when i first saw it i thought they were leggings but then i thought well they could be reall tight fitted jeans because the asian girls wear jeans under the dress while the gori (white girls) were leggings. After contemplating it for quite some time i came to the conclusion that they defo look like leggings (im probably wrong). Whoever has designed the picture please feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

"Ya'qub" wrote:
"Imaani" wrote:
Hey...

Or maybe not. Naz lives in Oldham.

thats what she wants u to think Dirol

Let me make this very clear I DO NOT LIVE IN OLDHAM and do not want to be labelled as an oldhamer either!

@Ya'qub are you being silly again lol

"MuslimBro" wrote:

I agree with Naz, why are all the adverts for businesses based in Oldham?

I think theyr trying to get oldham up there, make it more reputable but its just never gonna happen.

itz probably beause oldham is the besttttttttttttt place in the worlddd lol
all of u lot just jelous that you not 4rm oldham

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

"M4k4v3l1" wrote:
itz probably beause oldham is the besttttttttttttt place in the worlddd lol
all of u lot just jelous that you not 4rm oldham

Far from it my love. In fact its quite the opposite. If i was ever made homeless (hypothetically saying) and i was given the option to either live in a cardboard box in the middle of moss side or a luxury house in oldham (not that there is such a thing in oldham lol) then i would pick without a shadow of doubt the cardbox in moss side :twisted:

kumon, oldham isnt that bad
itz a nice n quiet place, no drug dealers on every street corner, no1 driving round the block 30 times in a hired car blastin the same track, no1 making a living out of fraud, no gangsters no nuthin lol
and there is quiet a few luxury house's actuallyyy
so jus as i sedd, u jelous

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

"M4k4v3l1" wrote:
kumon, oldham isnt that bad
itz a nice n quiet place, no drug dealers on every street corner, no1 driving round the block 30 times in a hired car blastin the same track, no1 making a living out of fraud, no gangsters no nuthin lol
and there is quiet a few luxury house's actuallyyy
so jus as i sedd, u jelous

Lol

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

ooooo so many perks to living in Oldham lol. Yeah ur right it must be coz im jealous.

Pages