PART-AY

ive passed my GCSE's with great grades

and my A levels

and my driving test

and finished the quran at an early age

and had many b'days over the years

but have never had a party thrown for me :evil:

i was watching the spoilt kids on sweet 16 last night and decided that for my 21st next year

i want to go all out - book a hall, call family, friends, cake with my name on it, lots of music AND a bling car waiting for me outside with a red bow on it

i doubt that would happen tho Cray 2

serioulsy tho - why dont muslims party

whats wrong with celebrating God given blessings

im gonna be 21 in 23 days and was thinkin bout hiring out a hummer limo Biggrin

but then i thought whats the point. Its another year and another birthday,

whats so special about 21. Every birthday i always have a cake and mum

makes some food and the decorations go up (even though ive told them a

million tymes not to bother, im too old for balloons lol). Couples days after

normally go out with friends for a meal. For A-levels i got money, they are

wanted to throw a party but i manage to convince them not to but this year

i cant get out of my graduation party. My mum wants to go out to a

restaurant and invite relatives so she rub it in their faces lol. I really dont

see the point in it thou, everything i done ive done for myself and becuase

i wanted to do it and not for others.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

I know celebrating/commemorating mawlid un nabi (sallalaho-alihay-wasallam) is permissible, rather recommended according to some ulema, but what i wish to ask is whether celebrating the birthday of a general layperson is permitted within Islam and if so, what should be the intention?

As an intelligent person once said:

Quote:
When it is someone's birthday, one year of his/her life has decreased, and not increased. As such, what intelligence is there in celebrating and showing happiness when a year has decreased in one's life?

^ the above is true but i say, when Allah (swt) has blessed you with another year of living on why not thank Him for his blessing and allowing you more time to change and repent?

I have never thrown a major party but I do call my cousins over and that is my time to spend with my family and to thank Allah (swt) for giving me another chance to live on and repent.

I dont like throwing parties due to all the attention which you get and I dont like that. My sis however loves throwing parties, i love attenting others parties and as long as its all halal there is nothing wrong with it.

My birthday was last week, wasn't really bothered.

I don't really mind if I don't get any presents but as everyone knows, I prefer money instead :twisted:

I bought a strawberry and cream cake for the whole family, weird huh.

Of course you can party, but depends what ya do and get upto

a family gathering and meal, a lil khatam and dua, good ol' laff - day 1

day 2 - hook up with the lads and see what we can get up2

most likely what i will be doing when i hit 21 inshallah

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

I guess when you think about a party your options aren't the type of bash with drinks and lots of the opposite sex, although I also guess there are no drinks provided at the MTV Super Sweet 16 parties, probably. What about arranging something like a big group trip to see a musical, something like [url=? It's silly but I love a good musical.

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]

Ive always celebrated my blessings..... Whether that meant having guests around and making a big feast or just sitting alone and thanking Allah swt for showering His mercy on me.....

However the latest "party" I had was for my 20th Birthday in March... But it was just a girls get together.....

I see no harm in having fun but within limits. Biggrin

"Happy are those who find fault with themselves instead of finding fault with others"

For me ‘Part-ay’ consists of dinner with my extended family and day out with my girlfriends.

I can’t remember the last time I had such a celebration…I’ am planning to do so once I finish my headache of a course.

I’ll have a lot to celebrate.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
For me ‘Part-ay’ consists of dinner with my extended family and day out with my girlfriends.

I can’t remember the last time I had such a celebration…I’ am planning to do so once I finish my headache of a course.

Am I invited????? LOL!

Muslim sis.... Trust me I will give you a party once you have done this course.....Aint seen your face in ages coz of this course!!!!!!!! hehe

"Happy are those who find fault with themselves instead of finding fault with others"

"MuslimBro" wrote:
My birthday was last week, wasn't really bothered.

I don't really mind if I don't get any presents but as everyone knows, I prefer money instead :twisted:

I bought a strawberry and cream cake for the whole family, weird huh.

happy birthday to you (come on everybody join in)
happy birthday to you (i cant hear you)
happy birthday dear Muslim Bro (louder)
happy birthday to yooooooou lol
better late than never. Hope you had a nice day Biggrin

Jus come back from a wicked party Dirol

Mate goin back down south, we had to celebrate in style....went down better than expected Biggrin

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"saffy786" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:

Am I invited????? LOL!

Muslim sis.... Trust me I will give you a party once you have done this course.....Aint seen your face in ages coz of this course!!!!!!!! hehe

Yeh, I've been in hibernation as many have noticed - no ones seen me!...plus, my whole house is being redocorated which adds to the stress.

I'm looking to plan a day out to a theme park once I've finished this course. It'd be great if you could come too.

This summer should be fun.

"Naz" wrote:
Hope you had a nice day Biggrin

Thank youuu.

It was normal and boring like any other day except I, yes I had to buy a strawberry and cream cake bcoz no-one was bothered Sad

"MuslimBro" wrote:

It was normal and boring like any other day except I, yes I had to buy a strawberry and cream cake bcoz no-one was bothered Sad

aww bless
with birthdays ppl tend to forget, the trick is to go around telling everybody at least 1 week before your birthday thats its your birthday that way they b sure to remeber Biggrin

in that case, i'll remind you lot about mine soon! lol

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

I've noticed people doing that, my mate did it and even told me that they are expecting a present :shock:

I tend not to do that, I expect people to know it, if they don't then no big deal.

If you dont expect, you wont be disappointed

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"MuslimBro" wrote:
I've noticed people doing that, my mate did it and even told me that they are expecting a present :shock:

I tend not to do that, I expect people to know it, if they don't then no big deal.

I only suggested it because my lil bro does it lol. I myself dont like to make a big issue either. I remember back in college my friends had been plotting and scheming for weeks but me being me didnt catch on lol. On the day my friend took me out sayin she wanted to tell me something and when i came back in there was a cake and candles and they all started to sing happy birthday in front of the whole college cafeteria. Everybody was staring, i was sooo embarrassed, i just wanted to crawl under a rock.

has anybody done quad biking?

I want to do that for my birthday.....done Daytona a few times, and as good as it is, Quad biking in open hills and farms is very cool.

However, i dont know of any places. Do any of you? I have only been to one in Perth, about an hour further than Glasgow, and i aint gona go that far for my birthday....anyone?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

no idea but if you google it im sure you find summit closer to home. There might even be summit in the yellow pages.
Whats daytona?
my mate just brought a quad bike, there open land near his house so he always out riding it

Pioneer Press[/url]"][b][size=15]A prom of their own[/size]

[color=olive]The state's first prom for young Muslim women gave participants a chance to experience an American rite of passage - without making cultural compromises.[/color][/b]

[img]

More than 100 Muslim teen girls let their hair down Saturday night. Both literally and figuratively. Muslim girls who wear the headscarf in public slid them off as they walked into the first Minnesota Muslim prom exclusively for girls and women. With no men there, they didn't have to cover up and were free to let loose and dance.

"I'd hate to miss this," said Sabrina Wazwaz, 15, a freshman who goes to Twin Cities Academy in St. Paul. "I think it's really nice how they thought of the Muslim girls who can't go to the American prom, so they made this for us."

The event was called PROM, an acronym which stands for Party foR Only Muslimahs, or Muslim girls, and was held in accordance with Islamic culture and values. Many Muslim girls don't go to their high school prom for cultural reasons: They aren't allowed to dance with the opposite sex, and prom dresses can be too revealing for some Muslim girls to wear in public. As an alternative, the event, held at the University of Minnesota's Coffman Memorial Union, allowed participants to dance, wear what they wanted and not feel like they missed out on a staple of the high school experience.

"I thought it was an awesome idea," said Sagirah Shahid, one of the main organizers and president of the Muslim Youth of Minnesota. Shahid, 18, is a senior at Roosevelt High School in Minneapolis. "We want to encourage Muslimahs to have fun but not do anything they're not supposed to. It's a positive alternative to the real prom."

The event included dinner, performances by attendees during a talent show, a fashion show of clothing from different cultures and dancing.

Girls dressed in sparkly gowns admired one another's dresses as they dipped strawberries in a chocolate fountain and drank punch.

Wazwaz wore an ethnic hip scarf that jingled when she moved her hips. She, along with Muslim girls from all over the Twin Cities, smiled and laughed beneath glowing red lights and candles, surrounded by the gold, black and red colors of China that went with the event's theme: "A night in China."

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]

Who wants to dance with another woman, i'd rather dance with a man...my husband of course aherm lol. Seriously can you imagine a muslim boys only prom? The place would be pretty empty looooool.

I guess it was a girly night out, hope those who attended enjoyed it,even tho it sounds a tad bit dull to me Wink

"yashmaki" wrote:
Who wants to dance with another woman, i'd rather dance with a man...my husband of course aherm lol. Seriously can you imagine a muslim boys only prom? The place would be pretty empty looooool.

I guess it was a girly night out, hope those who attended enjoyed it,even tho it sounds a tad bit dull to me Wink

Lol.

You can equate these things with 'Mehndi's which involves a lot of dressing up and dancing (and I love those functions Biggrin )

These 'women only' fun events are not a rare thing here in London...there's always a dinner, bazaar, barbeque or something going on.

Plus girls themselves need to make an effort to organise more of these women only events...I went to a 'smoothies do' a few weeks back where a bunch of us just caught up and drank smoothies. That was a lot of fun.

I attended a public mixed high school and was a really shy girl there...however, I REALLY came out of my shell when I started college, which was a girls only Catholic school.

Everything is a lot more fun without guys. Biggrin

How come the girl in that picture isn't wearing hijab if they're going to print the photo of her in some local newspaper? if she's gonna do that she might aswel go the the normal school prom dressed in the same way anyway.

On a side note, are women allowed to uncover themselves in the presence of non-Muslim women?

infact, don't they have to cover their bodies at all times, even if there's no men present? Cos men can't go around uncovering their auror even if there are no women present (i think this is the case anyway).

I'm confused...

Don't just do something! Stand there.

[color=indigo][b]1. the girl may not wear a hijaab hence why she hasn't got it on but that doesn't mean she can't go to the all muslim woman prom or it may not even be a muslim girl.

2. if following the hanafi fiqh a muslim woman cannot uncover herself in front of a non muslim woman, so she has to preserve the hijaab when around them as she would when she's around non mahrams.

3. the awra of a woman in front of fellow muslim women is the same to that which is a man’s awra.[/b][/color]

thanks for the info, Ms Light

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I thght you can if there's good reason?

Girls expose themselves to non muslim women for a new haircut, and for other beauty treatments for example?

I've removed it for a haircut. Plus after i gave birth midwife came to visit early mornings i was suffering from the so called baby blues, felt like terminal depression i couldn't have cared who saw me that's how bad i was feeling. I think tht may be an exception no?

"yashmaki" wrote:
I thght you can if there's good reason?

Girls expose themselves to non muslim women for a new haircut, and for other beauty treatments for example?

I've removed it for a haircut. Plus after i gave birth midwife came to visit early mornings i was suffering from the so called baby blues, felt like terminal depression i couldn't have cared who saw me that's how bad i was feeling. I think tht may be an exception no?

[color=indigo][b]a muslim woman cannot cannot expose herself to non muslim woman just for a haircut or any other beauty treatments, thats a big no. her awra has to be remained cz non muslim women or non mahrams to us. u can only expose yourself when u have no choice and when u do, u shud try to preserve as much of the awra as you possibly can.[/b][/color]

Quote:
[b]Is it permissible for Muslim women to get their hair cut/styled by non-Muslim women?[/b]

This is not permitted in the Hanafi school, because the awra (nakedness) of a Muslim woman in front of non-Muslim women is the same as that in front of strange (non-mahram) men. That means that she cannot uncover her hair in front of them.

Wassalam,
Faraz Rabbani

Quote:
[b]Awra in front of non-Muslim women[/b]

The Awra of a woman in front of non-Muslim women is, strictly speaking, the same that is in front of non-Mahram men, i.e. the whole body besides the hands, face and the feet.

The verse of Surah al-Nur that we quoted earlier details the list of people besides whom a woman is not allowed to expose her beauty. Such people (as explained earlier) are known to be her Mahrams (unmarriageable kin). Also, in that verse, Allah Almighty states: “their women” (al-Nur, 31) indicating that a woman must only expose herself to her woman and not others.

The exegetes of the Qur’an differ with regards to the interpretation of this statement of Allah. Imam Fakhr al-Din al-Razi (Allah have mercy on him) states:

“With regards to the statement of Allah “or their women”, there are two opinions. The first is that it refers to those women who are on the same religion (din) as them (i.e. Muslims, m). This is the opinion of the majority of the predecessors (salaf). Ibn Abbas (Allah be pleased with him) states: “It is impermissible for a believing/Muslim woman to uncover herself in front of non-Muslim women, and she is only allowed to expose that what is allowed in front of non-Mahram men… Sayyiduna Umar ibn al-Khattab (Allah be pleased with him) wrote to Abu Ubaida ibn al-Jarrah (Allah be pleased with him) to stop non-Muslim women from entering bath areas (hammam) with Muslim women.

The second opinion is that, it refers to all the women (i.e. she may uncover in front of all the women, m). This is the adopted opinion, and the opinion of the predecessors is based on superiority (istihbab)”. (See: Tafsir al-Kabir, 8/365).

As we have seen, that Imam al-Razi (Allah have mercy on him) adopted the second view in that a woman may uncover in front of non-Muslim women to the extent of what she is allowed to uncover in front of Mahram men.

However, many scholars chose the first view, and it is the view that is adopted by the Hanafi School. Imam al-Haskafi (Allah have mercy on him) states:

“An unbelieving woman is similar to a non-Mahram man according to the correct opinion. Thus, she is not allowed to see the body of a Muslim woman”. (Radd al-Muhtar, 6/371).

Allama Ibn Abidin (Allah have mercy on him) explains:

“It is impermissible for a Muslim woman to uncover in front of a Jewish, Christian or a atheist woman except if she is her slave…It is also disliked that a corrupt woman (fasiqa) sees the body of a pious woman, for she may describe her to the men, thus she should avoid taking off her outer garment (jilbab) or scarf (khimar)”. (ibid).

It is evident from the text of Ibn Abidin that the main reason for the impermissibility of uncovering in front of a non-Muslim woman is that she may describe her to other men. If this is feared from a corrupt Muslim woman, then one should avoid uncovering in front of her also.

Therefore, the Awra of a woman in front of non-Muslim women is all her body except her face, hands and feet. Thus, a woman should cover in front of non-Muslim women whenever reasonably possible. However, scholars say that if this is difficult, then it will be permissible to expose some part of the body in front of them.

The ruling of covering in front of non-Muslim women is not as strict as the other situations, for, firstly, there is a difference of opinion between the scholars regarding it, and secondly, it may be at times very difficult to cover in front of women. The great exegete, Imam al-Alusi (Allah have mercy on him) states:

“This opinion (of not covering in front of non-Muslim women) is more appropriate these days, for it is almost impossible to cover in front of them”. (Ruh al-Ma’ani).

In conclusion, a woman should cover whenever reasonably possible in front of non-Muslim women, especially when there is fear that she may describe her to other men. Also nowadays, Fitnahs such as lesbianism have become so wide spread that it has become necessary for women to observe caution with non-Muslim women. However, if it is difficult to fully cover, then one may take the concession on not covering and minimising it to the minimum.

Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari

[url=

Pages