To KILT a Mockingbird

Asssalamu alaikum w.w.

I am a Muslim. My cultural background is Scottish.

My family expect me to wear a kilt and certain special occasions, and when I get married, insha'Allah, they would be really upset if I didn't wear one.

However, I am aware that the kilt doesn't cover the 'auror' because it is above the knee:

[img]

[b]please note:[/b] this is NOTa photo of me!!!

So, what do I do. Is it such a bad sin, because as you can see it is not really 'immodest' clothes. Or do I just get an extra-long one even though it will look like a skirt? maybe I wear leggings underneath or pull my socks up extra high?

Unfortunately, any of these things would make me feel silly, and I'm sure I'll be nervous and self-conscious enough on my wedding day without having to add to it.

Should I just wear a jubba with a little bit of tartan on it, or a normal tuxedo, even though it would upset my family?

PLEASE HELP!!!

According to Shia Ulema the Scotish Kilt is allowed in Islam; as long as it it reaches the knees like the one in your photo. Can I ask where are you standing in that photo? Is that in Scotland?
Long kilts good for Muslims.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

"Ya'qub" wrote:
[b]please note:[/b] this is NOTa photo of me!!!

i love scotland how many times have i said that..lol. Anyways whilst i was there i noticed you can get kilts of all sorts of lengths, the short ones we see today i just modern versions. So you could easily find one or get one custom made to reach just over your knees, problem solved!

p.s i don't like the traditional sporans located at the front,cept if you get the ones that clip on the side they look cool.

I would think that if it covers the knee then it should be ok.

You don't look, and didn't certainly sound Scottish to me.

Are you really going to wear a kilt on your wedding day?... just make sure you don't wear it on a windy day Wink

Wear a pair of leggings that are same colour as your skin tone and make it look as though you're not wearing any leggings at all. Try to disguise them by making the bit that covers your knees look like actual knees - use felt-tip pens or something. (if that makes sense)

That way you won't have to pull your socks up or wear a longer kilt.

wearing the kilt as long as its long enough to cover the knees, as brother malik as already said is fine .And yeh if you can't find a longer one pull ur socks up or as u suggested wear leggings although must say leggings would look a little out of place .Well to me anyway.

personally i know its going against ur parents wishes i would consider wearing the jubba kill it in true arabic style . Smile

A rose protects its beauty with thorns..a woman protects hers with a veil

Beast, you can not have been serious!!...drawing knees???

Anyway, Ya'qub wear what you will feel most comfortable in and please don't listen to Beast.

Personally, hate kilts... sorry. Just don't like anything that resembles a skirt on a guy. I've seen kilts which fall just over the knees, didn't think they looked any worse than a kilt that didn't. Don't wear leggings, did you ever see those pictures of Ryan Giggs? Exactly.

I think a nice sharwani with a bit of tartan should do the job nicely. I'm sure I've seen some pictures somewhere...they looked very smart.

Thanks for all the advice, I think the problem is that longer kilts look TERRIBLE and girly... O well, insha'Allah I'll come up with a solution.

Does anyone think it would be weird if I was in traditional Scottish garb while my bride-to-be was in her Malaysian dress? would it just clash to much?

How about at the wedding when I invite all my family who aren't Muslim? I don't wanna offer them alcohol, but I don't think they have a concept of a wedding without getting off-their-faces, many would travel VERY far and would feel terribly shy and reserved if they're denied drink. Should I hold the reception nextdoor to a bar, or is that too much like encouraging them?

jazakAllahu khairun for any tips.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I wore a kilt once... apparently I wore the colors of something called "the black watch" and all these crazy drunks wanted to beat me up.

It was a negative experience.

wow!

Maybe have a second planner? A non-muslim for dealing with all the non islamic stuff?

Just make it clear that you will not participate in the non Islamic stuff and let him take over.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Ya'qub" wrote:
Thanks for all the advice, I think the problem is that longer kilts look TERRIBLE and girly... O well, insha'Allah I'll come up with a solution.

Does anyone think it would be weird if I was in traditional Scottish garb while my bride-to-be was in her Malaysian dress? would it just clash to much?

How about at the wedding when I invite all my family who aren't Muslim? I don't wanna offer them alcohol, but I don't think they have a concept of a wedding without getting off-their-faces, many would travel VERY far and would feel terribly shy and reserved if they're denied drink. Should I hold the reception nextdoor to a bar, or is that too much like encouraging them?

jazakAllahu khairun for any tips.

Why don't you tell them the reception will not have alcohol but because you're a magnanimous person there will be a post reception reception at a local bar where you have free drinks and taxis standing by - they're free to head right on over and drink themselves under the table.

...so are you still speaking hypothetically at this point?

Dave is lost.

hypothetically?

/Maybe I should read posts instead of skimming them...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

ok, non of this is hypothetical, its just in the (too) far distant future

we havn't got to the planning stage, but insha'Allah it will happen this/early next year

Don't just do something! Stand there.

With things like alcohol obviously you cant compromise...however, if I was you (white/scottish and a bloke) I'd prob wear the kilt....(Halalified of course)

Keeping the peace with family is important....if there's thing that you can do to please your family and not compromise your faith. Then I believe that you should do it.

I'm sure their prescence and happiness on your wedding day would mean a lot to you.

lol I hate kilts and tartan...i rember in school the boys came in kilts and u could see their bonny knees, hehe not a pretty sight...

Yaqub - you said it would clash with ur bride-to-be's dress, I dont think so, it just gives two diff cultures which IMO is very cool. I attended a weding where the girl was wearing a traditional red lengha and the groom was wearing a kilt, it was cool.