what is a peer?

I have just got back from pakistan, and whilst there This man came and stayed at our house. They called him 'hasrat saab' and the local people used to come and see him with there problems. And asking his help to sort it out? He'd measure up the duppatas, pray and then blow to see if it got bigger or smaller.

Should we believe in all this? Should we not just pray direct to allah?

With all due respect, this sounds a bit fishy to me. I find all this kinda freaky, if I'm being honest. I would just pray directly to Allah swt.

I don't get the significance of blowing on the dupatta thing. Did you see him measure it before or after? Was he giving any other kind of advice at all to these people? If he was of knowledge and said read such and such surah then fair enough, but I'm very sceptic of people like that. I find them very scary.

what is a duppata?

i don't understand any of these words!!

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Sorry, dupatta is punjabi for scarf.

he blows into a scarf?

k

My local mufti sahib (very pious) once informed a friend of mine that 95% of supposed "peers" in britain are FAKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I reckon that has hit the nail more or less on the head !!!!!!!!!

I know of this occasion when somebody invited a "PEER" sahib to attend an Isaale thawab gathering and then make dua.........My friend who waited for ages..........was in stitches when "Peer" sahib arrived.....

No beard, soveriegn rings on more or less every finger..........a sham, a mockery..............however, he made an enormous dua seeking the intercession of every truly pious person possibile by name..........Can someone blame such fakes when the people are so ignorant in the first place to emply them !!!!!!

"FHPE" wrote:
No beard, soveriegn rings on more or less every finger..........a sham, a mockery..............!!

Why is it the be-all-and-end-all to have a beard? Some people can't grow beards! Some people just don't like them. Yes, I understand it is sunnah, and it identifies you as a Muslim in the wider society, but IMO it is MUCH more important to try to make our personality like the Prophet (saw), to ACT in a 'sunnah' way.

We all know it is sunnah to break your fast with dates. But what if you genuinly don't like the taste of dates, or what if you're allergic to dates? Surely you can eat something else, for example and apple or some grapes.

There are plenty of people with gigantic beards and thobes all the way down to the floor who are rude, ignorant and have no respect for the mosque. I'm not trying to belittle people who dress in the way that expresses their Faith, infact I think it is praiseworthy, but we shouldn't judge other people just because they've made the decision not to grow a beard or dress in foreign attire.

NOT BEING ABLE TO GROW A BEARD IS NOT A PROBLEM, WHEREAS LOOKING DOWN UPON THE BEARD OR ANY SUNNAT FOR THAT MATTER IS AN ACT OF KUFR..............GRAVE SITUATION !!!!!!!

I wasn't looking down on having a beard. I made that clear in my post. But you shouldn't look down on someone just because they DON'T have a beard either. As Muslims we shouldn't be judgemental of each other for any reason.

Grave situation indeed!

YAQUB, I DID NOT INTEND TO IMPLY THAT YOU LOOKED DOWN ON ANY SUNNAT..... :!:

MY ORIGINAL CONTEXT WAS "PEERS" .......HOW CAN SOMEBODY BE A PEER WHILE NOT FOLLOWING SUNNAT INFACT OPENLY SINNING !!

My point was that maybe he honestly couldn't grow one! I know it sounds unlikely, but it is actually part of our obligations to our Muslim brothers that we should always make excuses for them and think the best of them!

Plus I have a bit of an issue about how zealous some brothers get regarding the beard.

There was one case in the mosque where I was having a Qu'ran lesson with a friend, and a stranger started shouting at him (disturbing everyone else in the mosque, and embarrasing him) telling him he shouldn't shave his sideburns. The man then went to start reciting the Qu'ran, again loudly (again disturbing everyone else in the mosque) getting all the pronunctiations completely wrong. It was just so ridiculous that he went about it in completely the wrong way. Even if he was right to point out my friend's sideburns. It would be SUNNAH not to embarras him and it would be SUNNAH not to cause a disturbance in a place of worship.

"peacegirl" wrote:
I have just got back from pakistan, and whilst there This man came and stayed at our house. They called him 'hasrat saab' and the local people used to come and see him with there problems. And asking his help to sort it out? He'd measure up the duppatas, pray and then blow to see if it got bigger or smaller.

Should we believe in all this? Should we not just pray direct to allah?

salaam,

There's only one word.... FAKE!
From what Ive heard these kinds of people are fake and there are no such remedies in making a piece of cloth going short or long!!! This is one way these fake peers use in fooling the victim. All they do is read a few things and when they blow on the cloth...by magic the cloth goes long or it goes short...And the poor victim falls for it.

There are only a few real peer's in this world. I think if this guy was real he wouldn't have to publicise his work...People would be coming to him instead. Just have to be careful nowadays... doesn't mean you cant believe in peers. hope that helps sis.

"Happy are those who find fault with themselves instead of finding fault with others"

Apparently ther si one od these dupatta growers on one of the Islamic TV channels aswell. As to the validity - no comment. Never heard of it before, probably never will again.

As for looking down on those people - the beard should not be a big issue - the gold rings should be. (I am assuming the soveriegn rings were gold? If silver, only a moderate amount is allowed)

Having a beard is important, but not fardh. Men wearing gold is haraam.

And acting holier than thou is repulsive.

Quote:
WHEREAS LOOKING DOWN UPON THE BEARD OR ANY SUNNAT FOR THAT MATTER IS AN ACT OF KUFR

Sounds right, but can I have evidence please. Want to make sure it is.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I believe in miracles. Allah told us in holy Quran that all his prophets had powers to do miracles. Jesus did miracles and he had the power to bring the dead back to life, Moses did miracles and he had power to tear apart the Atlantic ocean. Other prophets of Allah could summon ghosts and jinns do to magical things. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) could cut the moon in half; he even travelled to the edge of the universe where no American is allowed to go. God will not permit dirty feet to follow where blessed feet of Prophet have been. Anyone whom Imam Ali gives powers to do wonderful things from God ten has the power to perform miracles and so is able to do many supernatural things. Without Imam Ali, God will never be happy with you.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

erm... what has that got to do with anything?

What has America got to do with this topic?

Not arguing about miracles per se in this topic. just this scarf thing most of us have not heard of, beards and rings.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Are we talking about peer in the aristocratic sense or is this something different?

"malik" wrote:
I believe in miracles. Allah told us in holy Quran that all his prophets had powers to do miracles. Jesus did miracles and he had the power to bring the dead back to life, Moses did miracles and he had power to tear apart the Atlantic ocean. Other prophets of Allah could summon ghosts and jinns do to magical things. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) could cut the moon in half; he even travelled to the edge of the universe where no American is allowed to go. God will not permit dirty feet to follow where blessed feet of Prophet have been. Anyone whom Imam Ali gives powers to do wonderful things from God ten has the power to perform miracles and so is able to do many supernatural things. Without Imam Ali, God will never be happy with you.

Actually that's not true, I travelled to the other side of the universe just yesterday.

Nothing very interesting over there, lots of dust.

Spiritual guide. Potentially a shakey shaykh.