To Vista or not to Vista?

ok, my copy of Windows Vista arrived today. (home Premium as a free upgrade as I only recently purchased my PC. Had top pay for delivery though.)

Only thing is there are reports of its unreliability out there.

Should I install it now, or wait a while?

Any essential programs?

EDIT - Moved to the main forums from Guys Only as later posts may be of interest to everyone.

ok I have installed it.

Looks good.

Just need to get my apps running again (I did not choose the upgrade option - this would leave the programs installed, but may cause problems. I could also ahve installed it on a different partition, but thought it as a "non-brave" way out.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I wouldnt hav... Vista is soo resource consuming.

Micro$haft havnt released such a useless OS since they came up with Windows ME.

You should hav waited till they released a patch first.

Back in BLACK

I so wanna get vista but I recently have decided not to upgrade.

I am giving my desktop to my sister and buying myself a laptop. Everywhere I go, vista is installed and it's driving me mad. After days of searching, I have found a decent laptop with XP Pro installed. The main reason I don't wanna upgrade to vista (now) is because of the compatibility issues. And also when anything new comes out, there's loads of problems, that's why I bought the xbox 360 so late.

I recently bought AVG internet security with a 2-year license and I know some of their components wont work with vista, I think it's the firewall and anti-spyware. I have got other programs which wont currently work with vista so I'll wait abit (about a year or so) longer for them to patch things up and then eventually I may upgrade to vista.

But as Seraph has said, it is resource consuming but then again if you've got a decent pc then it should run vista home basic at least.

Doesn't seem to be that bad.

Probably helped that I removed all the default crap that comes with the PC and never re installed it after upgrading (apart from the desktop background, which is nice) (clean install more or less).

and... for functionality... I haver that proper clock in the corner! Blum 3

Everything else is secondary.

oh, and the sound at startup has been changed to be much less annoying. It now sounds like when you get a shine in Super Mario Sunshine!

Aero will probably get annoying. the pop up effect for windows - instead of aiding usability - seems to add some eye strain.

Apart from that cannot view video's in Media Player - can hear the sound.

in VLC i had to change a few setting to make it work - sacrilege! I do not like deviating from defaults.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

If anyone else has Vista and uses the gadgets, they may enjoy [url=.

Prayer times with Adhaan Calculated to your destination of choice, using the madhab of your choice. Hafafi or shaf'i/Maliki/Hanbali (these three are the same. It only Affects Asr).

Multiple types opf Adhan aswell. I will have to listen to it to see if it is any good.

I'm not sure what this thread is about...but I'm assuming its a techie thread.

I just downloaded Skype...but how can I link my inbuilt microphone in my laptop with Skype?

New version of Windows, comes after XP. Most people hate it atm.

With your mic, does it work for everything else in windows?

I have not used skype in years, so cannot remember if a special set up is required or not.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
I'm not sure what this thread is about...but I'm assuming its a techie thread.

You woudn't understand....boys only! :twisted:

"MuslimSister" wrote:
I just downloaded Skype...but how can I link my inbuilt microphone in my laptop with Skype?

Have you checked the Sounds Settings Widget (SSW).

So how's vista....having any problems with it saying that a software/program is incompatible? What kind of internet security are you using?

It is really annoying when you go into a shop or on a website and see how many computers are being sold installed with vista when many consumers don't want to use vista, and even though xp is less secure people prefer to use it.

I have found two laptops, you''ll see that I'm on a tight budget. So which one should I buy?.... The [url= TravelMate 2492WLMi[/url] or [url= 3000 N100[/url]. I may not be using that site as dabs for example sell it abit cheaper. The hard drive may be small but I will be using an external drive.

Is it possible to format a laptop which was installed with vista then install it with xp pro?.....is this going to cause any problems? Because dell sell good laptops but they have vista home basic installed.

"MuslimBro" wrote:

Is it possible to format a laptop which was installed with vista then install it with xp pro?.....is this going to cause any problems? Because dell sell good laptops but they have vista home basic installed.

I dont see why not. Unless the laptops using some hardware that specifically works with Vista. I know theres a ton of new software that only works with Vista only so you'll def loose them... until someone comes up with a third party fix.

Besides it looks like Micro$haft have pretty much lifted most its features for Vista from Apples X OS. So if Vista Wows you now... Apple have been doing it for years... this also includes the "look".

I would still choose XP Pro over Vista... why becoz of their use of DRM which basicly tells you their are certain things you can and cant do. There suggestions that Vista actually monitors what your doing and as a result this takes up memory and computing power... which is why Micro$haft are telln you to buy new hardware. They want you to buy new hardware not becoz you need it, but because your computer needs it in order to be more effective at restricting what you do.

For instance take a look at the Vista license agreement... incidently there are different license agreements for diff version of Vista. The one that caught my attention was this:
"You give Microsoft the right, through programs like Windows Defender, to [b]delete[/b] programs from your system [u]that it decides[/u] are spyware." Or
"You consent to being spied upon by Microsoft, through the “Windows Genuine Advantage” system. This system tries to identify instances of copying that [u]Microsoft thinks [/u]are illegitimate." Unfortunately, a recent study indicated that this system has already screwed up in over 500,000 cases.

So go ahead and upgrade if you think its worth it.

Me... im stickn with XP for the moment and if i have to upgrade i'll either move to Linux or Apple. Micro$haft can ki$$ my .... ...

Back in BLACK

Hey, it was a free upgrade so I am not complaining. Afterall if I did not do the upgrade, in a year or so when I come across some software that is "vista only" I would be kicking myself.

So far no real problems except from having to change the defaults for VLC and that Windows Media Player does not show a picture on divx files - I have not added any additional codec though. I will probably not do so either.

Yes M$ ripped some functionality from OSX, but why not the expose stuff? that would have been cool. Anf in Linux you can have wobbly windows - another thing which would have been right at home here in Vista.

Overall I am not seeing any extra resource usage - except for the CPU does not seem to be scaling back. on XP it was running as low as 1GHZ alot of the time, but here it is at full tilt all the time.

My friend who is a computer science expert told me not to buy the new windows version. He said if anyone goes ahead and installs it then they can wish bye bye to their machine: ASTA LA VISTA baby.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

"malik" wrote:
ASTA LA VISTA baby.

lol i like that.... plus i totally agree.

Avoid Vista like the plague... and i mean the black plague none of that made up plagues like Bird flu or anything.

Back in BLACK

It's okay... pretty much Windows XP with more eye candy and less compatibility, and I keep getting this stupid error about "Com Surrogate" (anybody know how to stop that??)

Reviews everywhere so far are mixed. Until I get a new PC I'm fine with XP.

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]

I like it. Probably no point buyiong it separately, but it has a few things i like.

On a second notice I managed to almopst completely trash my system today.

I was resizing partitions, the gparted live DC was taking too long and I got bored. Cancelled. got a warning that it may ruin my partition. Ignored it. Hey what could go wrong?

Everything. My system would not boot. All the partitions were "dirty". gparted wopuld no longer touch anything to fix my problems.

The Upgrade Cd would not go to repair windows. Knoppix told me that the partitions are "dirty".

I tried old eRecovery cd's for myPC, but they threw an error.

Somehow I managed to get to chkdisk and it has sorted the stuff out on my main partition. I can boot.

Second partition with about 30 gigs of data is shot. It was my primary place to save everything.

luckily, I moved over important files (Revival related files etc. ) to the first partition just yesterday!

I think I can replace most of what is missing.

Did I mention I am a lucky person?

I have finally decided on the laptop I'm buying, it's not the two I have mentioned above. I am buying a laptop with xp pro installed, I could have bought one cheaper if it had vista installed. But as I've had software problems in the past, I'm not going to bother buying a vista machine then installing it with xp.

Admin serves you right for cancelling the partitioning process, don't think you'll be doing that again :P.

This shows how important it is to buy an external drive, can mean the difference between life and death. I will definitely be buying one, anyone got any recommendations?.....something not too expensive.

Hey, I survived!

About vista - if you go for xp, you may regret it later.

it is probably best to check if your apps are compatible or not. If they are, go for vista if it is cheaper.

And make sure the version is NOT Home Basic. You want Home premium to have all the snazzy Aero effects (even though they were off by default for me).

There are many changes in vista from XP, and surprisingly I am liking it. THis is unexpected, since I usually get irritated when others use my PC because they may change some obscure setting which may take ages for me to hunt back down.

Next time you may not be so lucky, a lesson learnt I presume.

The only program I know that is not compatible with vista is avg internet security. I know for a fact that the firewall and anti-spam is not compatible....yet. Even though I can use other software, I don't want to because I paid for it. I've sent an email to technical support for them to verify that avg is not currently fully compatible.

The laptop is vista capable but don't know if they mean home basic or premium. The graphics card is integrated so might just be the home basic. Apart from the the aero effects, are there any other differences between basic and premium?

In vista, can't you make a separate account which has limited functions, so people cant change your settings?

The Media center is not in Basic.

A few other things such as network backup that I am not really interested in.

Saying "vista capable" does not mean anything. Almost anything can be certified so, even if it cannot use all the features. What is the graphics adaptor?

It should work with Aero.

Well MAC have won me over the only next thing id get running windows would be a tablet notebook, unless mac suprise me and come out with one.

I would like a mac too... but it is still out of my price range. and I like to tinker. Just imagine tiple booting a mac!

Well, hit my first wall with VIsta.

Can't install Dreamweaver MX.

Are there any good code editors out there? I do not really need wsywig, just a good code editor that shows options, code completion etc.

Anyone use Microsoft Visual Web Developer?

is there a free windows tool similar to [url= available?

I do not want to spend too much time uinstalling and trying different tools.

I could just use notepad, but it does not have syntax highlighting.

EDIT - [url= may be of use to me. I need to try it yet though. I may be a bit much. EDIT 2 - it may have compatibility issues with vista, and is only a free trial. Pay for after that.

PS the VIsta start menu is weird. I liked the old menu.

[url=?

[i]Update: I have a bunch of these things on my PC but I've hardly ever used them. I also have Namu6 (wysiwyg), [url= and [url=. WebCipher is pretty and clean and doesn't come with annoying subscription-only features and Arachnophilia is very comprehensive but not as pretty as CoffeeCup or WebCipher.[/i]

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]

Got an email back from technical support saying that the next version of avg should be fully compatible with vista. Checked their website and they released the new version today. So avg is now fully compatible and I’m faced with the difficult decision of whether to upgrade to vista or to stay with xp.

A few questions, can you switch windows defender off as I wanna use avg instead? and if you have non-genuine software on your pc, will there be loads of annoying pop-ups telling me to buy the genuine software?...microsoft office to name one.

I've had the "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool" as a critical update but I've just blocked the update so it won't be bothering me again.

Are there any software that everyone used in xp not compatible with vista?

Microsoft Office may be a problem, but why not use the free OpenOffice as a legal alternative?

PS Mr Honey, thanks for that update. i had missed. I am using notepad++ atm, buit it is not ideal. I do not like the font for starters. Blum 3

Not sure if I will find anything with autocomplete though. Notepad++ supposedly ahs it, but it does not seem to close off any tags.

What! Microsoft office isn't compatible with vista.

Right, I've made up my mind, I'm staying with xp.

Their own software isn't compatible with vista. If they want people to upgrade to vista then they should atleast make an effort.

Pages