How do YOU celebrate Mawlid?

salaam

since its Rabbi ul Awwal... many mawlid gatherings are taking place...

so i wanna how do ppl celebrate Mawlid?
How do hanafis celebrations differ to shafi, malikis and hanbli's?

do you have a mawlid gathering in your house?

how does your mosque celebrate it?

i dont wanna turn this in to a debate, so if u dont celebrate it then just ignore this thread or create a new one....where concept of bidah, evidence etc etc can be discussed....

what do you get out of the mawlid celebrations?

have your say

wasalaam

I celebrate it by taking potshots at cheap christmas decorations I see going up around here.

/Yes I am a miserable person. get over it.

:twisted:

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Admin,

I have not been using this forum for long, however, in such a short period I have sensed that you have a weird sense of humour even when someone is making a genuine query.

Smile :!:

Pardon me for being abrupt, but i would rather say this upfront than behind your back ! :roll:

why, yes. Thankyou.

I try not to use smileys. It gives the game away. but sometimes I ahve timuse the twisted simley to let people know there is a joke in there somewhere.

Morbid and creepifying I got no problems with as long as you do it quiet-like.

However if it is a new user, I try to give a straight answer. Sometimes I even succeed.

When 'Ed makes a post, I have to try doubly hard not to take a potshiot. he is such an easy mark.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
so i wanna how do ppl celebrate Mawlid?

[color=indigo][b]By fasting, praying extra nawaafil prays, holding durood shareef gatherings, attending naat mehfils, organising mawlid un nabi saw mehfils, learning more about the prophet saw, zhikr gatherings, doing ziyarat of the blessed hair mubarak of the holy prophet pbuh, giving sadqah, wearing new clothes, the wearing of the blessed na’lain, giving gifts to one another, decorating the house and loads more![/b][/color]

what do you get out of the mawlid celebrations?

[color=indigo][b]a spiritual boost, good company and constant dhikr of allah, more attachment with the holy prophet pbuh and allah swt, more islamic knowledge, peace and tranquillity.[/b][/color]

[b][color=indigo]How we should spend Rabi ul Awal

Bismillah hir Rahman nir Rahim

Parents should teach their children the importance of mawlid. Special family gathering of durood (salutations for the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) should be arranged and the importance of this should be taught to the children.
Family gatherings of naat (nasheed) should be arranged. The parents and the children should have an opportunity to recite a naat.
Parents should relate to their children stories of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) in which instances of the affection shown towards children are emphasised.
Food that the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) enjoyed should be prepared at home. Details can be obtained from the book Shamail-e-Mustafa.
Homes should be thoroughly cleaned for the 12th of Rabi Al Awal.
Recite durood in abundance. The durood shareef written in the book Dalail-ul-Barakaat (authored by Shaykh-ul-Islam) should be recited 500 times daily for the first twelve days. For the rest of the month, this should be recited at least 200 times daily.
For the first twelve days of Rabi-ulAwal, two raka’ nafl should be prayed on behalf of the Prophet (saw). During the rest of the month, the nafl should be prayed every Monday.
A fast should be kept every Monday.
A badge of the ‘green dome’ (gunbad-e-khazra) or that of the blessed na’lain should be worn.
For the first twelve days, decorate your houses for the mawlid celebrations.
On the 12th, children should wear new clothes and be given gifts.
Spending in the way of Allah ie sadaqah should be increased and guests invited for dinner.
Present relevant books as gifts eg. Seerat-ur-Rasul(saw), Meelad-un Nabi(saw) or Shamail-e-Mustafa(saw) or Minhaj-us-Savi.
Various chapters from the book Nur-ul-Absar should be read in family gatherings on a daily basis.
Children should be taken on a special day out during the month of Rabi-al-Awal.
Messages of ‘mubarak’ should be sent over the phone, text and emails.

By Faiza Qadri[/color][/b]

As mentioned Fasting is good. Sunnah too I believe.

You can also read nawaafil, but iot is better to do qadhaa of prayers you have missed (assuming you have missed some).

Can sit down in a gathering, learn something.

Send salaam upon the prophet.

The only thing I dislike is those public processions. In the UK they are more a sign of protest than a celebration.

"What are you angry about?" "The Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was born this month!" "erm... ooook"

We do a big majlis in the mosque. People bring lots of food for everyone. The scholars from all over the world come and give speeches on seerat. There is loud naara bazi. I tend to do most haideri naarays. Its the best day of eid for muslims. But all this is on 17th rather than on the 12th. This is because Shia believe Prophet (pbuh) was born on 17th of Rabi I.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

People decorate their houses during this month? - I didn't know that.

I fast, do zhikr and make an increased effort to read my qadha prayers and learn more about Islam.

Generally the more I do in relation to Islam, the more motivated I feel, so this will definitely make me a better person in loads of ways.

Some auntie or other may invite Mum over to read darood shareef, but normally us younger ones don't experience it.

My younger brother went on a march type thing last year, but he couldn't answer any of my questions, so he didn't really learn much himself, probably because he chipped as soon as it led into the mosque.

can i ask a question? plz don't jump on me because i don't mean to be critical or create any sort of debate, i just have a qenuine query...

why is mawlid a 'celebration' if the prophet (s.a.w) passed away on the same day?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

We are only supposed to mourn for three days. There is no time limit on celebration as far as i am aware. (we shoudl celebrate it all year round... but that is a differetn discussion and well... we are human.)

Secondly, both days need not match. There are a few differing account of the day of birth.

EDIT - I am sure there is an argument out there that even the passing aweay of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is amercy to mankind, but I can't think of the logic around it. Maybe use google or something if you are interested.

"Admin" wrote:
We are only supposed to mourn for three days. There is no time limit on celebration as far as i am aware. (we shoudl celebrate it all year round... but that is a differetn discussion and well... we are human.)
i'm not saying we should mourn, but i'm not so sure about 'celebrating' either. also, don't we practice the sunnah all year round out of respect for the prophet (s.a.w) and knowledge that he was the best of people for us to emulate... this may sound wierd, but what exactly is there to celebrate?

"Admin" wrote:
Secondly, both days need not match. There are a few differing account of the day of birth.
the days match according to the most popular opinion right? even if they dont, everyone agrees both dates are in Rabi ul Awwal, and correct me if i'm wrong but mawlid celebrations are held throughout the month right?

"Admin" wrote:
EDIT - I am sure there is an argument out there that even the passing aweay of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is amercy to mankind, but I can't think of the logic around it. Maybe use google or something if you are interested.
hmm, thanks will look into that inshaAllah.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

I will be absolutely honest and say I have not looked into this at all this year.

I think it was Med last year who said the popular opinion amongst scholars was for birth day to be 9th of Rabii ul Awwal.

The prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was sent as a mercy to mankind. We are Muslims. two things to celebrate there.

and then I draw a blank. :oops:

"*DUST*" wrote:
why is mawlid a 'celebration' if the prophet (s.a.w) passed away on the same day?

[color=indigo][b]"Say: Because of the (fadl) Blessings of Allah swt and his (rahma) Mercy you should celebrate (with happiness and pleasure). That is better than what (wealth) they amass." [Quraan 10:58]

Allah swt specifically mentions we should celebrate the blessed birth of the Holy Prophet PBUH and not his death. Obviously Allah swt knew when the Holy Prophet would pass away and therefore if Allah swt didn't want us to celebrate the blessed birth then why would Allah swt mention his blessed birth and not his death? Secondaly death is not the end, it is only the beginning of a life. The Prophet PBUH said: "All people are dead, when they die then only do they wake up"[/b][/color]

"*DUST*" wrote:
i'm not saying we should mourn, but i'm not so sure about 'celebrating' either. also, don't we practice the sunnah all year round out of respect for the prophet (s.a.w) and knowledge that he was the best of people for us to emulate... this may sound wierd, but what exactly is there to celebrate?

[color=indigo][b]Yes we do and should celebrate the birth of the Prophet PBUH all year round but that shouldn't stop us from celebrating it in the month of Rabbi-al-Awal either. This is the month Allah swt sent the Holy Prophet as a blessing and mercy to mankind. And what do you mean by "what exactly is there to celebrate? I mean, isn't it obvious? His Holy Birth.

The Prophet SAW also specified his own birthday. Hadith narrated by Abu Qatada Ansari RA, he reports that Allah's messenger SAW, was asked about fasting on Monday, whereupon he said:

"It is (the day) when I was born and revelation was sent down to me" [Sahih Muslim, Book 6, Number 2606].

It's clear from this hadith that the holy prophet pbuh was happy about his birth so he fasted out of gratitude and fasting is a form of worship so one can celebrate this day by any form of worship.

The Prophet PBUH himself celebrated his Milad. In hadith narrated by Anas RA contained in the Sunan of Imam Bayhaqi [Vol.9 p300 no.43], states that the Prophet PBUH scarificed some animals and did an aqiqa for himself after the announcement of his Prophethood. Imam Suyuti commenting on this hadith states that the reason for the sacrifce of the animals was an act of thankfulness and a celebration preformed by the Prophet SAW for his birth.[/b][/color]

"*DUST*" wrote:
and correct me if i'm wrong but mawlid celebrations are held throughout the month right?

[color=indigo][b]Yeah and throughout the year.[/b][/color]

"Noor" wrote:
[color=indigo][b]"Say: Because of the (fadl) Blessings of Allah swt and his (rahma) Mercy you should celebrate (with happiness and pleasure). That is better than what (wealth) they amass." [Quraan 10:58]

Allah swt specifically mentions we should celebrate the blessed birth of the Holy Prophet PBUH and not his death. Obviously Allah swt knew when the Holy Prophet would pass away and therefore if Allah swt didn't want us to celebrate the blessed birth then why would Allah swt mention his blessed birth and not his death? Secondaly death is not the end, it is only the beginning of a life. The Prophet PBUH said: "All people are dead, when they die then only do they wake up"[/b][/color]

huh? - am i missing something? :? i don't see what that ayah has got to do with the birth or passing of Rasulullah (s.a.w), and i don't see where Allah (s.w.t) is mentioning 'specifically' or otherwise, that we should 'celebrate' the birth...?

"Noor" wrote:
[color=indigo][b]Yes we do and should celebrate the birth of the Prophet PBUH all year round but that shouldn't stop us from celebrating it in the month of Rabbi-al-Awal either. This is the month Allah swt sent the Holy Prophet as a blessing and mercy to mankind. And what do you mean by "what exactly is there to celebrate? I mean, isn't it obvious? His Holy Birth.[/b][/color]
lol sis you don't have to present me the dalaail for milad, i have nothing against it in principle, in fact its great if ppl are increasing their love of the Prophet (s.a.w) in a halaal manner and environment. my question was about it being labelled a 'celebration'. yes this is 'the month Allah swt sent the Holy Prophet as a blessing and mercy to mankind' but it's also the month in which Allah (s.w.t) chose to take Rasulullah (s.a.w) away. as for what is there to celebrate, this is difficult to explain, but why is there a [i]need[/i] to 'celebrate'. i don't geddit. is practising the sunnah a 'celebration' of the Prophet (s.a.w)'s birth?

Thing is I don't think you "need" to celebrate it.

Don't need to celebrate anything (as long as you stay on the right side of proclaiming the favours of your Lord.), but sometimes you want to.

And it can become a matter of principle to some. Some people celebrate their birthday. The birthday of their loved ones, acquaintances. But we are also supposed to love the Prophet (saw).

Either someone celebrates it or they don't. No biggie to me.

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Noor" wrote:

[/b][/color]

huh? - am i missing something? :? i don't see what that ayah has got to do with the birth or passing of Rasulullah (s.a.w), and i don't see where Allah (s.w.t) is mentioning 'specifically' or otherwise, that we should 'celebrate' the birth...?

Salaam

The fullness of that statement includes that Allah Swt bestowed unto Sayyidina Rasoolullah SAW the titles of 'Fadl' and 'Rahma'.

Further, Sayyidina Rasoolullah SAW is THE greatest mercy from Allah Swt therefor to heed the quoted Ayah is to celebrate with all of the heart!

I think also in the statement was that The Beloved of God SAW is 'The Mercy for all the worlds' SAW therefore there is nothing that is not covered and encompassed in The Mercy of The Beloved SAW. This is implicit proof that The Beloved SAW is the greatest mercy from Allah SWT . It is also a explicit.

[b]Why do we celibrate?[/b]

We would not have known Laa ilah illAllah
were it not for Muhammadur Rasoolullah SAW ...these words!

If a soul's last breath knew these words, it would surely be cause for celebration for that soul. That is the last breath of a person.

I cannot express it better than the words of Sayyidina Abu Bakr RA. When he learnt that The Beloved of God SAW would soon be returning to His SAW Lord SWT sayyidina Abu Bakr RA in a state of extreme grief asked The Beloved SAW where the people would again find the holy companionship with The Beloved SAW again. The Blessed fountain was the answer. Sayyidina Abu Bakr RA replied:

[b][color=green]"I'll be the first one there."[/color][/b]

EDIT:

Just remembered something my teacher taught me relating to why Mawlid is a celebration:

"The only being who isn't glad about the The Beloved SAW being born is the devil."

Meaning everyone except the devil is happy that The Beloved SAW was born.

Quote:
Definitions of celebration on the Web:

a joyful occasion for special festivities to mark some happy event
any joyous diversion
the public performance of a sacrament or solemn ceremony with all appropriate ritual; "the celebration of marriage"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

A celebration is a joyous observation on the occasion of either something joyful that is happening or has just happened: * a birth, etc., see below* passing an examination* a success in sport, business, etc.* having got a better or own home* having got a (better) job* being released from hospital, prison, kidnapping
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration_(party)

That is to say an event which is joyously observed is a celebration.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

-Mum does a weekly programme in home

bear munch in the end

-kids get sweets weekly

-attend programmes where and when i can

-extra charity

-mum fasts a lot

what i DONT agree with is marches

it stops traffic and i dnt see the point

Last yr i celebrated it by going to Pak, attending mehfils every nite in the presence of my Shaykh amongst other great Shaykhs. It was very spiritual.

Now this year, like many years in the past we have a mehfil daily, I attend when I can and when i'm not at work.

It's the month in which the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was sent to this world and he Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) blessed the whole universe and mankind, defnitely something to be over the moon about.

I read durood/salam as much as I can, it's an atmosphere like ramadhan kinda like a refresher....what can I say I love this month, it's full of blessings.

"Dawud" wrote:
"*DUST*" wrote:
"Noor" wrote:

[/b][/color]

Salaam

The fullness of that statement includes that Allah Swt bestowed unto Sayyidina Rasoolullah SAW the titles of 'Fadl' and 'Rahma'.

Further, Sayyidina Rasoolullah SAW is THE greatest mercy from Allah Swt therefor to heed the quoted Ayah is to celebrate with all of the heart!

I think also in the statement was that The Beloved of God SAW is 'The Mercy for all the worlds' SAW therefore there is nothing that is not covered and encompassed in The Mercy of The Beloved SAW. This is implicit proof that The Beloved SAW is the greatest mercy from Allah SWT . It is also a explicit.

jazaakallah khayr for your explanation of the ayah, the Prophet (s.a.w) was indeed referred to as 'Rahmah' in 21:107. i've been searching for info on this ayah in tafaseer and asked some scholars, alhumdulillah there is actually the Prophet (s.a.w)'s interpretation of this ayah available in the ahadith!! can't get better than that... Smile

It is narrated by Anas (r.a.) that the Prophet (s.a.w) said: "The 'fadl' of Allah denotes the Quran and 'rahmah' means that you were blessed with the ability of reciting the Quran and acting in accordance with it." (Ruh al-Ma'ani)

the above hadith has also been reported by Baraa' bin 'Aazib (r.a.) and Abu-Sa'id al-Khudri (r.a.)

"Dawud" wrote:
[b]Why do we celibrate?[/b]

We would not have known Laa ilah illAllah
were it not for Muhammadur Rasoolullah SAW ...these words!

If a soul's last breath knew these words, it would surely be cause for celebration for that soul. That is the last breath of a person.

I cannot express it better than the words of Sayyidina Abu Bakr RA. When he learnt that The Beloved of God SAW would soon be returning to His SAW Lord SWT sayyidina Abu Bakr RA in a state of extreme grief asked The Beloved SAW where the people would again find the holy companionship with The Beloved SAW again. The Blessed fountain was the answer. Sayyidina Abu Bakr RA replied:

[b][color=green]"I'll be the first one there."[/color][/b]

EDIT:

Just remembered something my teacher taught me relating to why Mawlid is a celebration:

"The only being who isn't glad about the The Beloved SAW being born is the devil."

Meaning everyone except the devil is happy that The Beloved SAW was born.

Quote:
Definitions of celebration on the Web:

a joyful occasion for special festivities to mark some happy event
any joyous diversion
the public performance of a sacrament or solemn ceremony with all appropriate ritual; "the celebration of marriage"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

A celebration is a joyous observation on the occasion of either something joyful that is happening or has just happened: * a birth, etc., see below* passing an examination* a success in sport, business, etc.* having got a better or own home* having got a (better) job* being released from hospital, prison, kidnapping
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration_(party)

That is to say an event which is joyously observed is a celebration.

i get all the above^ (including the definition of 'celebration' :P) but it doesn't answer my original question, how can we 'celebrate' if he passed away on (most likely) the same day or atleast the same month. can milad not be called a gathering of 'remembrance' or 'commemoration' instead?

Quote:
commemoration
n.

1. The act of honoring the memory of or serving as a memorial to someone or something.
2. Something that honors or preserves the memory of another.

Wink

salaam

to answer Dusts question:

why do must CELEBRATE the birth of the prophet...esp. when it is when the prophet passed away in that month?

answer:
1. you only mourn a death in Islam for 3 days not for over 1400 years!
2. Allah (swt) celebrated the birth and instructed the angels to celebrate when the prophet was born and place flags in East and the West and on the door of the ka'bah etc.......
This whole topic is in al Mawahib al Ladunniyya (al Qastalani), al Khasa’is al Kubra (Suyuti), As Siratul Halabiyya (al Halabi), al Wafa (Ibn Jawzi), Al Anwar al Muhammadiyya (Yusuf an Nabahani) etc. and these books have narrated it from Abu Nu`aym, Abu Hayyan, Khatib Baghdadi, Ibn Sa`d, Tabarani, Bayhaqi, Nishapuri, Hafiz Abu Bakr and Imam Zarkashi etc.

3. Abu lahab a kafir [b]celebrated[/b] the birth of the prophet by freeing Thuaibah...and as a result every Monday his punishment in the hell fire is reduced.... this narration is quoted by dozens of classical scholars who add that if a non Muslim gets rewarded for celebrating the birth of the prophet then what about the Muslims....

4. the Mawlid has been celebrated in the last 1000 years from East to West..and again classical scholars have gone in to depth of this... Muslims do it cos its permissible, recommended, rewarding....and this argument of being born and having death in same month is not even an argument... as NONE of the classical scholars in the past used this argument...

Finally , lets be clear on 'celebration'.... we're not talking about dancing, wild parties...we're talking about being happy, reading naat and nasheed, talking about sira, distributing food, decorating the mosque...etc.... again all of this and alot more has been done for the last 1000 years by all madhabs....

wasalaam

When you mourn someone its because they have gone and they cannot come back to you in any shape or form whereas the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is with us at all times in the form of Sunnah, the Quran etc.

Also Ahadith state that when you do salam upon the Prophet (saw), he Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) responds to your salam so the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is infact alive with us even though we cannot be in his physical presence.

"*DUST*" wrote:
can i ask a question? plz don't jump on me because i don't mean to be critical or create any sort of debate, i just have a qenuine query...

Asaalamu alaikum,
Inshallah, hope the following 2 ayats will be some help to you :roll:

Ayat 1:
Walalakhiratu khayrun laka mina aloola
And undoubtedly, the following one is better for you than the preceding one. (Surah Duha)

Ayat 2:
And peace is on him the day when he was born and the day, when he will die and the day when he will be raised alive. (Surah Maryam)

YA ALI (as) MADATH

I know it's difficult for you but I'm going to need you to really fight that urge to press the "Roll Eyes" icon.

The only emoticons worth using IMO are :twisted: :evil: Blum 3 Lol :oops:

actually we could do even without those.

3. Abu lahab a kafir [b]celebrated[/b] the birth of the prophet by freeing Thuaibah...and as a result every Monday his punishment in the hell fire is reduced.... this narration is quoted by dozens of classical scholars who add that if a non Muslim gets rewarded for celebrating the birth of the prophet then what about the Muslims....

Ed,

I was under the impression muslims believe non-muslims are going to hell except for some non existant group of Jews and Christians. Your post seems to indicate that Muslims believe in a concept of hell similar to the reform Jewish idea that hell is a place where sins are purged rather than eternal punishment.

Is that right? BecauseI didn't think Islam tolerated any level of universalism.

Even non-muslims are rewarded for their actions.

and the stopry is not that he will be in heaven, but that his punishment will be reduced/diminished on certain days.

What the actual concept of hell is I am not fully sure. Apart from that it exists and it will be painful.

The only sin that is unforgivable it shirk.

As Always we should follow the rules layed down for us, but in the End Allah (swt) is merciful and will show mercy.

"Admin" wrote:
Even non-muslims are rewarded for their actions.

and the stopry is not that he will be in heaven, but that his punishment will be reduced/diminished on certain days.

What the actual concept of hell is I am not fully sure. Apart from that it exists and it will be painful.

The only sin that is unforgivable it shirk.

As Always we should follow the rules layed down for us, but in the End Allah (swt) is merciful and will show mercy.

So Muslims believe hell has echelons of torture which you can move about within but never escape?

"Don Karnage" wrote:
So Muslims believe hell has echelons of torture which you can move about within but never escape?

There are echelons, but escape is possible.

One of the "echelons" described is a ditch - for believers who pray, but only to show off.

I normally stay away from such topics as for me it is enough to know that it is up to Allah (swt).

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Every Muslim will 'eventually' enter Paradise.

I'm specifically asking what Muslims believe about [i]non-Muslims[/i]. Ed's comment seemed a little odd since Muslims think non-Muslims will go to hell. I couldn't tell if the language was just hyperbolic or if Muslims actually believe non-Muslims can be "less tortured" in Hell by doing certain things, or if in certain circumstances muslims believe Hell is escapable for non-Muslims.

I superimposed the Christian concept of hell onto Islam... clearly that was a mistake as you believe something much different.

Pages