Seeking knowledge through travel

assalmu alaikum w.w.

I'm sure most of you are aware of the hadith that says the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said "Seek knowledge, even as far away as China."

Well I'm not planning to go THAT far (yet), but i am going to Syria on Wednesday insha'Allah! im very excited now, I'm going with a Syrian brother, and I'm staying family in Aleppo for 5 nights then with some Singaporean students in Damascus for 5 nights.

I was wondering if anyone here has been and can recommend anywhere in particular to visit...

I also hear its a bit of a Sufi centre and I have NO experience of any of this, so if anyone has information on those types of things too i would be very grateful...

Also, I would like to hear if anyone else has travelled to middle eastern or arab countries, what there experiences are etc...

last year I went to Egypt and I absolutely loved it! It was the 1st time I'd heard the azhan echoing round the streets and the people were the most welcoming I've ever met, I also climbed mount Sinai (where Moses (ra)reportedly recieved his revelation). The whole experience made me so much stronger in my Iman, and insha'Allah Syria will have a similar effect.

I appreceiate any feedback on this, jazakAllah

w'salam

"Ya'qub" wrote:
assalmu alaikum w.w.

I'm sure most of you are aware of the hadith that says the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said "Seek knowledge, even as far away as China."

wa3laykum salaam wa ra7matullahi wa barakatuh.:)

there is no doubt that Islam places a huge amount of importance on seeking knowledge, but unfortunately that hadith is a fabricated one (mawdoo3).

"Ya'qub" wrote:
Well I'm not planning to go THAT far (yet), but i am going to Syria on Wednesday insha'Allah! im very excited now, I'm going with a Syrian brother, and I'm staying family in Aleppo for 5 nights then with some Singaporean students in Damascus for 5 nights.

I was wondering if anyone here has been and can recommend anywhere in particular to visit...

I also hear its a bit of a Sufi centre and I have NO experience of any of this, so if anyone has information on those types of things too i would be very grateful...

Also, I would like to hear if anyone else has travelled to middle eastern or arab countries, what there experiences are etc...

last year I went to Egypt and I absolutely loved it! It was the 1st time I'd heard the azhan echoing round the streets and the people were the most welcoming I've ever met, I also climbed mount Sinai (where Moses (ra)reportedly recieved his revelation). The whole experience made me so much stronger in my Iman, and insha'Allah Syria will have a similar effect.

I appreceiate any feedback on this, jazakAllah

w'salam

i have heard a lot about syria, my brother has been there twice to study and i would love to go myself some time inshaAllah. however with regards to syria most people say it is important to have contacts in order to secure lessons with top shuyukh. if you're going to an institute then it shouldn't be a problem. syria is always recommended for people who want to practise their spoken arabic because unlike jordan and egypt where everyone is eager to practise their english with you, in syria you have no choice BUT to converse in arabic. Smile

as for Egypt, you're right its a really nice place, went a few years back to visit my bro (again!) who was studying there at the time, the lucky sod. there are many institutes which have courses tailored specially for foreign students to learn arabic. syria is better for learning traditional islamic sciences (in arabic) than the actual language.

Best of luck and have fun!

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

lol i saw the title of this thread and immediately thought you were talking about those traveling hoboes who exchange stories for money such things... like in The Simpsons.

Back in BLACK

Mashallah your lucky bruv , syria is one of the places ive put on my list to visit once in my life , as well as egypt

Bro you should definately go check out the tomb of Salahuddin in Damascus , he was a great man and great hero of islam , overall syria is a place rich in islamic history you should check out someof the museams as well as the beeches Wink , Damascus was the capital of the Umayyid empire and mamaluk empires, also definately check out the great mosque of damascus its stunning :o

my brothers have been syria to damascus and had nothing but good things to say about it , they also been morocco , egypt, turkey , dubai and saudi arabia , all those things are on my list Lol , although i am going dubai this summer

have a good trip