Taking part in xmas celebrations

salaam

its almost xmas....

so to what extent can muslims take part?

givng cards to non muslim friends and colleagues?

going to a xmas meal with work colleagues?

eating turkey?

or nothing at all?

how do ppl take part, or not take part, in xmas celebrations?

share your views pls...

wasalaam

I've always given Christmas cards to non-muslim friends and colleagues. I was surprised to hear some Muslims really against this - I don't see any harm in this at all, it only reflects well on Muslims.

"Imaani" wrote:
I've always given Christmas cards to non-muslim friends and colleagues. I was surprised to hear some Muslims really against this - I don't see any harm in this at all, it only reflects well on Muslims.

its imitating the kuffar - didnt you know!!! Lol

Christmas is for christians. Just like Eid is for muslims.

It's not a universal festival.

I will enjoy the days off.

and there are limits to what you can and can do. In essence if your actions make you appear christian, they are not allowed.

Just to make myself clear, I am not joking.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I have heard a scholar say that there is nothing wrong in exchanging Christmas cards as long as they are not particular to the Christian story of Christmas, ie a crucifix, nativity scene etc. However giving a card which simply says Seasons Greetings for example is fine.

[color=indigo][b]I use to give xmas cards out when i was in skul but not anymore. We tend to give the christians on our road xmas cardz and prezzies each year and thats about it.

Has any1 seen the front page of one of the newspaper where it says that parents are not happy with their children being served halal turkey and that they should have the normal traditional one??[/b][/color]

we get to play secret santa, watch movies and have LOADS of chocolate before christmas holidays, so i don't mind taking part.

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Salam,

I do not exchange cards etc but am polite in responding with something like Happy Holidays.

As far as the celebration is concerned my wife is Christian and I respect that it is a important time for her as she does for Eid etc. I will buy her a gift but thats it, no-one else.

I would be interested to hear the comments from other mixed religion marriages.

[img]http//i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/fanafilllah/sig6.jpg[/img]

"Abbas" wrote:
Salam,

I would be interested to hear the comments from other mixed religion marriages.

are they allowed i thought that before u take a wife of a different religion she has to become muslim first

A rose protects its beauty with thorns..a woman protects hers with a veil

[color=indigo][b]Aslong as she dunt mind the children being Muslim then i dont think it matters.[/b][/color]

"Bliss" wrote:
are they allowed i thought that before u take a wife of a different religion she has to become Muslim first

I think you have confused both genders.

Muslim men are allowed to marry a woman who's a Muslim, Christian or a Jew (Christian and Jews referred to as people of the book).

But only Muslim women are allowed to marry Muslim men.

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"Bliss" wrote:
are they allowed i thought that before u take a wife of a different religion she has to become Muslim first

I think you have confused both genders.

Muslim men are allowed to marry a woman who's a Muslim, Christian or a Jew (Christian and Jews referred to as people of the book).

But only Muslim women are allowed to marry Muslim men.

Thanks for the clarification

i agree with admin and brother Abbas on this one. if giving xmas cards is no big deal then why don't we give out diwali cards too?

btw Seasons greetings is a euphamism for merry xmas no further comment.

"yashmaki" wrote:
if giving xmas cards is no big deal then why don't we give out diwali cards too?

Why not? I'm sure if you have Hindu friends they'll appreciate it.

"yashmaki" wrote:
btw Seasons greetings is a euphamism for merry xmas no further comment.

As it happens Chanuka is around the same time, and anyway Christmas and New Year are public holidays so Season's Greetings can be more appropriate for some than Merry Christmas. It is just about showing a little friendship and goodwill.

[size=10]I feel I'm gonna move on back down south
you know where the water tastes like cherry wine[/size]

I'm looking forward to the eating the halaal turkey at my Uni at xmas time...

I used to do cards in when I was in school...I think its a gesture of good will, its only laziness that stops me from doing them now.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
I'm looking forward to the eating the halaal turkey at my Uni at xmas time...

I used to do cards in when I was in school...I think its a gesture of good will, its only laziness that stops me from doing them now.

we go to trafford centre to see sanda come!! kids love it! and we give cards to everyone in my sons class.

my dad used to get us a xmas tree and buy pressies. I DON'T do this with my kids. And I still tell my dad that he did wrong.! all them years ago!!

we make eid a really big deal at our home!! so my children don't get all exited for xmas!

live and let live!!!!!!!

Lol. I do think however, that encouraging your own kids to visit or believe in Santa would be pushing it a bit...

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Lol. I do think however, that encouraging your own kids to visit or believe in Santa would be pushing it a bit...

Lol i know!! I don't know why I do it. I wish he wasn't related to xmas. just think he's cute!!

live and let live!!!!!!!

the only way i take part in xmas celebrations is by tuning in all teh xmas specia programms they hv on especially the story of the snowman on xmas day
Smile

"Bliss" wrote:
the only way i take part in xmas celebrations is by tuning in all teh xmas specia programms they hv on especially the story of the snowman on xmas day

You talking about the snowman which comes to life and there's this song "I'm flying in the aaaair". And at the end the snowman dies, I mean melts, it's so sad.

I celebrate xmas by having snowball fights....if it snows.

"peacegirl" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:

Lol i know!! I don't know why I do it. I wish he wasn't related to xmas. just think he's cute!!

Looks like OBL's fatter brother!

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

[color=indigo][b]Loool!

Noo he doesn't!!!!!! Santa is round, cuddly and has a FAT belly!!!!!![/b][/color]

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"Bliss" wrote:

You talking about the snowman which comes to life and there's this song "I'm flying in the aaaair". And at the end the snowman dies, I mean melts, it's so sad.

I celebrate xmas by having snowball fights....if it snows.

yes that's the one. i love that song very touching Smile

Who loves and repsects Jesus (may peace be upon him) more? the muslims or Christians? I can whole heartedly say the muslims, because we cannot be a muslim without believing and respecting in Jesus (AS) or Moses(AS) or any other prophet for that matter. How often have you heard people shout 'Jesus Christ' - which these days is very common, how much respect does that show to the one of the greatest prophets sent to humanity and who inevitabley will return.

So I ask a question, although the christmas day (25th) and the rituals are all pagan created - nothing to do with christianity, shouldn't we be more happy and celebrate the miracle birth of a great prophet to the pure virign maryam (AS) for whom a whole chapter in the quran is written?

The best preacher is the conscience, the best teachers are time and experience, the best book is the world, the best friend is God

"MuslimBro" wrote:

That is just plain sexist IMHO, I see no reason why women can't marry the people of the book.

I remember a non-muslim ringing in on in the Islam channel and commentating on the ayah that said it was permissible for men to marry Jews and Christians, he claimed this was [i]our[/i] way of spreading Islam. He's one of those people that believe that Muslims are trying to take over the world and annihilate the Jews :roll: , actually I am alarmed by the number of non-Muslims that are starting to believe in this garbage. :? :?

To be frank I am not sure if marrying a Christian is permissible. Nazarenes is usually translated as "Christians" but the Nazarenes of the Quran are not the Trinitarian Christians, but the Jewish messianic group, from which Jesus came. In the Gospels, Jesus is called a Nazarene; Mat2:23 "He shall be called a Nazarene".

Allah calls Christians in the quran "those who believe god is 3" (referring to the trinity doctrine).

5:73 They do blaspheme who say: God is one of three in a Trinity: for there is no god except One God.

Christians are not monotheists IMHO. Unless they believe god and Jesus are separate entities.

Abbas does your wife believe in the trinity doctrine? And is she an Irani Christian?

(don’t get me wrong, I don’t care who Muslims choose to get married to)

Salaam

"Umar" wrote:
So I ask a question, although the christmas day (25th) and the rituals are all pagan created - nothing to do with christianity, shouldn't we be more happy and celebrate the miracle birth of a great prophet to the pure virign maryam (AS) for whom a whole chapter in the quran is written?

Absolutely.

"Peacegirl" wrote:
my dad used to get us a xmas tree and buy pressies. I DON'T do this with my kids. And I still tell my dad that he did wrong.! all them years ago!!

Absolutely, a tree isn't just for christmas, its for life. Perhaps we should all keep trees in side our houses. We could call them house trees, and kids could play on them instead of weatching tv.

"poster" wrote:
"MuslimBro" wrote:

That is just plain sexist IMHO, I see no reason why women can't marry the people of the book.

I suspect its because traditionally, in most societites it was recognised that children took the religeon of the father. This is just conjecture on my part though.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

"Dawud" wrote:

I suspect its because traditionally, in most societites it was recognised that children took the religeon of the father. This is just conjecture on my part though.

probably,

but things have changed now.

Scholars have abrogated laws in the past, I don't see why this can't be abrogated.

"poster" wrote:
"Dawud" wrote:

probably,

but things have changed now.

Scholars have abrogated laws in the past, I don't see why this can't be abrogated.

In Jewish tradition religion is through the mother. Therefore marriage between a Jewish woman and a Muslim man can exacerbate the familial issues of inter-faith marriage.

[size=10]I feel I'm gonna move on back down south
you know where the water tastes like cherry wine[/size]

"Dawud" wrote:

Do you think it's tradition?.....coz every source I have read on inter-faith marriages say's that "[b]Islam[/b] prohibits marriage between a non-Muslim man and a Muslim woman".

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"Dawud" wrote:

Do you think it's tradition?.....coz every source I have read on inter-faith marriages say's that "[b]Islam[/b] prohibits marriage between a non-Muslim man and a Muslim woman".

Woah, I suspect that religeon passing through the father to be tradition. As I understand your sources are quite correct. Biggrin

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Pages