COCONUTS

i come frm a family where it aint a biggie if ur urdu is better than ur english

it aint no biggie if u cant eat spicy food

it aint no biggie if u prefer to wear english clothes instead of asian-as long as its decent

it aint no biggie if the women want to work-as long as kids/hubbie are happy

it aint no biggie if u dont like asian food

it aint no biggie if u celebrate ur wedding more english than asian style.

BUT what i cant stand is COCONUTS :evil:

ppl who despite coming from an asian orgin...

take the MICK outta asian food, clothes or traditions :evil:

make fun outta those who CHOOSE to prefer asian clothes/food/language etc :evil:

consider the english culture more superior to the asian way of doing stuff :evil:

HOW DARE THEY :evil:

how do u define a coconut?

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

[b][color=indigo]Someone who tires to act the opposite from who they are i.e. a paki trying to act as if shes a gori.[/color][/b]

"Noor...*" wrote:
"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

[b][color=indigo]Someone who tires to act the opposite from who they are i.e. a paki trying to act as if shes a gori.[/color][/b]

do eleborate pls...

[color=indigo][b]hmmm....... when sum1 is talking about sumthing cultural or about asian foods, clothes etc and they'll just act as if they dont have a clue to what the persons going onabout..

a person who thinks its trampy or out of fashion to wear traditional asian outfits.. erm...
its so obvious when sum1 is faking it..[/b][/color]

i agree with ur second point-

but with ur first point are they truly ignorant or are they PRETENDING to be ignorant?

[color=indigo][b]depends on the person, some genuinely dont have a clue whereas sum do but are ashamed of their origins and feel theres a need to hide the fact that they have sum sort of linkage to the asian ethnicity.[/b][/color]

my skool luckly contains only a few coconuts , the remaining are either a bit too traditional or too westernized.

a coconut to me is someone who is ashamed of who they truly are
just because we live in a white country does not mean we need to adopt to their tradition . our culture, is unique to us we should carry that forward altho personally i feel our culture is some how diversifying into other cultures.
culture is good, is nice to have but when its starts to take over and adopt its way into Islam its no gooood.

A rose protects its beauty with thorns..a woman protects hers with a veil

People have a right to live their lofe oin whateverway they wish, as long as thye do not break the law.

People can have an inferiority complex about many things. One of those things may be their own culture.

Many many people want to adopt a diferent culture.

What about those who pretend they are ghetto superstars? they are probably in the majority. just as wannabe as those who want to be in the queen's legion. But at the end of the day it's their choice.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Salam

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

Things with edible white flesh enclosing a white liquid.

You cannot have more than four.

Omrow

what are you guys on about? a coconut is a thing that grows on a tree and is disgusting.

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

"zara" wrote:
what are you guys on about? a coconut is a thing that grows on a tree and is disgusting.

MuslimSisLilSis i think what she means by coconut is that asian/black coloured people trying to be white from teh insidee
they are brown colour skin ( outside colour of coconut )but they try to act like goria from teh inside (teh white inside part of coconut)

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
i agree with ur second point-

but with ur first point are they truly ignorant or are they PRETENDING to be ignorant?

i dont get wt u mean if theyre truly ignornant or if theyre pretending to be ignonant??

you can normally spot the fakes the ones who try to hard to be sumthing theyre not, but what about those who are like that because of the way theyve been bought up.. does that mean theyre[b] ignorant[/b]... i dont like that word think it sounds way to harsh theyre just unaware n it might not even be there faults their rents cud be coconuts Lol

To be beautiful is to expect nothing in return.

You probably shouldn't use that word. It sounds like a needless insult.

[size=10]I feel I'm gonna move on back down south
you know where the water tastes like cherry wine[/size]

CoconutS????????????people just be yourself. Do and wear what you want, but stay within islam.

My hubby and I take our kids on holiday at least once a year! I'm not a coconut! I love travelling! and relaxing!

I don't work, coz my hubby don't want me to!! I'm not a coconut!

We celebrate weddings pure punjabi style with bhangra and all!! NO MEN! Me not a coconut!

My kids have private swimming lessons! Nope we ain't coconuts! It keeps them fit and they love it!

We go and watch a patomime!! No we are not coconuts!

We don't put too much emphasise on birthdays, but have a really nice eid party instead. Or a ' I've completed my siparah at mosque party.'

My hubby and I leave our kids at their nanas house on some friday nights and go out for a meal!! does that make us coconuts?? Not if we get to spend time together!!

live and let live!!!!!!!

"peace4all" wrote:
CoconutS????????????people just be yourself. Do and wear what you want, but stay within islam.

My hubby and I take our kids on holiday at least once a year! I'm not a coconut! I love travelling! and relaxing!

I don't work, coz my hubby don't want me to!! I'm not a coconut!

We celebrate weddings pure punjabi style with bhangra and all!! NO MEN! Me not a coconut!

My kids have private swimming lessons! Nope we ain't coconuts! It keeps them fit and they love it!

We go and watch a patomime!! No we are not coconuts!

We don't put too much emphasise on birthdays, but have a really nice eid party instead. Or a ' I've completed my siparah at mosque party.'

My hubby and I leave our kids at their nanas house on some friday nights and go out for a meal!! does that make us coconuts?? Not if we get to spend time together!!

brap Biggrin

To be beautiful is to expect nothing in return.

"The Great 100" wrote:
You probably shouldn't use that word. It sounds like a needless insult.

I concur.

But then again insulting people can be amusing. unless you are the one being insulted.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Using the word coconut is sorta insulting and stereotyping but its natural in human nature to do that. A coconut is a lost soul, someone who doesnt know who they are so in an attempt to find themeselves they try to fit into a westernized culture they forget where they come from and there own culture. But im sure theyll pay a price for there ignorance. and when they see how silly they look, they'll regret there behavoir.

Coconut is a fruit that growson Palm trees.

It can be pretty deadly when falling from great heights.

So, think carefully before using a palm tree for shade.

[color=indigo][b]I dont think your insulting a person by calling them a Coconut. If sum1 called me that i wouldn't get offended. You’re just using a food to help describe who they are. [/b][/color]

you calling them fruity?

[color=indigo][b]No.

:? [/b][/color]

exactly. Coconut is a fruit.

Using it to describe other conditions is an insult, wether you mean it or not.

Then again I like to know when I insult people. It's more fun to judge reactions.

[color=indigo][b]Coconut is not a fruit!!! Some see it as a nut, fruit or a vegetable!

Well one may perceive it as an insult and one may not. People take and see things in different ways. [/b][/color]

if someone called you a coconut, you may think that they think your two-faced. you know, black on the outside, white on the inside...i hope i'm making sence... :?

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

According to Wikipedia......

Quote:
A "coconut" is a common slur in the United States used to describe a person who is "brown" (Hispanic or Black) on the outside and "white" (Caucasian) on the inside.

[b][color=indigo]I only thought Asians use that term...[/color][/b]

bounty is a more common term used as to cocount where i live
bt i guess it means teh same

and both are slurs.

Is coconut a nut or a fruit?

"Admin" wrote:
and both are slurs.

Though its name suggests that it is a nut, I've always regarded coconut as a fruit. When the coconut is young, it has properties like fruit, and as it matures, it becomes more nutty. But in fact it is not a nut or a fruit;[b] it is a seed[/b]. (Source: )

"Noor...*" wrote:
[color=indigo][b]I dont think your insulting a person by calling them a Coconut. If sum1 called me that i wouldn't get offended. You’re just using a food to help describe who they are. [/b][/color]

I too wouldnt feel insulted...I must be doing something very un-asian for someone to call me that. Such as being very anti my dress, food, langauge etc.

Some members of my family are very coconut-fied.

I have no issues with people acting like coconuts...what bugs me is when people from a certain culture insult others for following aspects of the same culture that they themselves are part off.

I sometimes get cussed for wearing Paki clothes (even though I only wear them at home) by people who are Paki's themselves...that to me is going against your roots.

"Admin" wrote:
and both are slurs.

[b][color=indigo]Apparently it's both sumhow.. anyway does it really matter what it is?![/color][/b]

Pages