Death penalty for Saddam Hussein

[color=green][b]Saddam Hussein has been convicted of crimes against humanity and sentenced to death by hanging.[/b]

The former Iraqi president was convicted by a Baghdad court for his role in the killing of 148 people in the mainly Shia town of Dujail in 1982.

His half brother Barzan al-Tikriti was also sentenced to death, as was Iraq's former chief judge Awad Hamed al-Bandar

Former Vice-President Taha Yassin Ramadan got life in jail and three others received 15 year prison terms.

Another co-defendant, Baath party official Mohammed Azawi Ali, was acquitted.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki hailed the conviction in a televised address, saying that the sentence was "not a sentence on one man, but a sentence against all the dark period of his rule".

"Maybe this will help alleviate the pain of the widows and the orphans, and those who have been ordered to bury their loved ones in secrecy, and those who have been forced to supress their feelings and suffering, and those who have paid at the hands of torturers," Mr Maliki said. When called to court, Saddam Hussein, dressed in his usual dark suit and white shirt and carrying a Koran, walked to his customary seat and sat down.

Judge Rauf Abdel Rahman ordered Saddam Hussein to stand while he read out the verdict, but the former president defiantly refused to do so and had to be moved from his seat by court attendants.

As the judge began reading the death sentence Saddam Hussein shouted out "Allahu Akbar!" (God is Greatest) and "Long live Iraq! Long live the Iraqi people! Down with the traitors!"

[b]'Triumphant smile'[/b]

The former leader looked shocked and furious as the sentence was passed, and continued to shout, denouncing the court, the judge and the US-led occupation force in Iraq.

But the BBC's world affairs editor John Simpson said that after his tirade, which was clearly deliberate, as he was led away from the courtroom, Saddam Hussein seemed to have a small smile of triumph on his face. "It was as if he was thinking 'I've come here and done what I intended to do'," our correspondent said.

Shortly after the verdict was announced celebratory gunfire could be heard across Baghdad.

In the Shia district of Sadr City there was jubilation on the streets, with people driving around in cars, beeping their horns. There were also jubilant scenes in the holy city of Najaf.

The Baghdad celebrations were in defiance of a 12-hour daytime curfew banning all vehicle and pedestrian traffic which was placed on the whole city of six million people amid fears of violence from Saddam Hussein's Sunni Arab supporters.

The government cancelled all army leave and the city's civilian airport was closed.

[b]Hometown anger[/b]

Immediately after the sentencing violence reportedly broke out in the mainly Sunni Azamiya district of Baghdad, with machine guns and mortars being fired. Three nearby provinces, including Salahuddin, which contains Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit, are also under curfew.

Thousands of people also defied the curfew in Tikrit, but there it was to voice support for Saddam Hussein and to denounce the verdict.

Sunnis in Tikrit marched through the city, chanting "We will avenge you Saddam."

Almost three years since Saddam Hussein was captured, soaring sectarian violence has brought Iraq to the brink of civil war.

Few Iraqis think the trial verdict will ease conflict, the BBC's Andrew North in Baghdad says.

Even those Iraqis who want to see their former leader dead do not believe his execution would make things any better, our correspondent says.

[b]Chance to appeal[/b]

Saddam Hussein and his co-defendants will be given the right to appeal, but that is expected to last a few weeks and to end in failure for the defendants. Many critics have dismissed the trial as a form of victors' justice, given the close attention the US has paid to it.

Before the session began former US Attorney General Ramsey Clark was ejected from the courtroom after handing the judge a note in which he called the trial a "travesty".

Saddam Hussein's defence team have also accused the government of interfering in the proceedings - a complaint backed by US group Human Rights Watch.

And the former leader's lawyers have attacked the timing of the planned verdict, which comes days before the US votes in mid-term elections.

US President George W Bush's Republican Party is at risk of losing control of Congress in part because of voter dissatisfaction over its handling of the Iraq conflict.

[url=

wat do u guys think about dis sentence too strong or sumting else

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

[color=magenta]i personally dont knw what to make of it, dont get me wrong i dont agree with anythng saddam has done but if he gets a death sentence for war crimes i think there are loads of other people who should get a similar sentence[/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

its a lot more den war crimes hes been implicated in murders assasinations a lot more den u fink personnally i dnt think much ov him as a muslim ov wat he has dne compared 2 others like d russian dictators but im not 2 sure bowt da sentence a president can react 2 attempted assiination in da way he did. i think they r trialling him 4 d wrong reasons

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

[color=magenta]so what do you think they should put him on trial for?what charges?i think if you are going to use the death penalty you need to be consistent on who you use it against, cant be one rule for one person and another for the next person[/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

Salam

Saddam has murdered Kurds and Shias of Iraq during his 25 years reign of terror.

Iraqi Judge Rauf Abdel Rahman has sentenced Saddam to death by hanging.

But Saddam said he preferred to killed by a firing squad.

The Americans want to see the dictator's brain fried in an electric chair.

The Israelis want to bulldoze him to death.

Iraqi people wish his decapitation. They want public beheading for the butcher of Baghdad.

Omrow

i don't think he should be hanged, i think they're only doing this to show him whose in charge.

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

[color=indigo][b]By him being hanged won't solve anything. They should keep him locked up. We as humans can't decide whether if a person deserves death or not. That only lies in the hands of Allah sbwt.[/b][/color]

but nowadays wat is prison u can get home luxuries in prison nd if u tke him 2 amercia they will just digrace him nd goin back 2 wat excuisite sed one rule 4 one person 2 a certain exstent i agree but u got 2 luk at each case differently

[b][color=indigo]They should punish him accordingly to the crimes he commited. It wouldn't be fair for a junkie to be treated the same way as Saddam and vice versa.[/color][/b]

exactly but i think wat excusite is tryin 2 is say is dat just cuz da guys muslim he shudnt be treated differently

[color=magenta]what i am saying is we shouldnt base a decision on the actual person or the name of the person but to the actual nature of the crimes that have been committed and then base a decision on that,[/color]

[b][color=indigo]Who said they're going to treat him any differently because he's a Muslim?[/color][/b]

isn't there a death penalty in islam, for murder?

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

dunno

coz if there isn't then why do most islamic countries have death penalty? :? i'm confused :?

probably is a law it tends 2 be an eye 4 an eye sortov thing

I wasn't expecting any different.

He is probably getting what he deserves.

and under Islamic law there is capital punishment. With some acts you forfeit your life. It's not about eye for an eye, but some actions are too brutal for human punishments. The aim is to return the individual to Allah (swt) ASAP and Allah (swt) knows best.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

whilst the west were quick at taking it upon themselves to invade iraq and bring the ruthless dictator down

they were gracious enough to allow his own country to punish him-knowing that the law of the land decrees death for such people :roll:

I don't see the problem with rough justice.

Apart from the legitimacy of the courts, everything is shiny.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

define irony a dicator killed by the people he was dictating

i kindof feel sorry for him.

yh its normal u wud be cold blooded if u didnt

why can't they just shoot him? it would be less painful...

dats wat he wants but not wat he gets

makes me hate the judge more and more...

how old are u

[size=7]why?[/size]

[size=7][/size]dntwrry

Sadaam hussein deserves the death penalty...............just saying it like it is! After what he's done.......do you think he should get a prison sentance?

live and let live!!!!!!!

:o

To be beautiful is to expect nothing in return.

Pages