British First Muslim Second

Salam

Muslims are advised to integrate fully within the British society.

Also, muslims in non-muslim countries are citizens of that state first.
Their faith comes second.

Therefore, born and bred in England, Madiya is English first and muslim second.

Quote:
BBC

Thursday, 2 November 2006

[b]Obey UK law, Iran ex-leader urges [/b]

" If someone does not share their religion with me, they are definitely respectable and entitled to receive compassion as human beings ", Mohammad Khatami

UK Muslims should obey British law as well as accepting the obligations of citizenship, the former president of Iran has urged.
Mohammad Khatami, during a three-day visit to Britain, told BBC News the UK was right to fear radicalism.
But it had added to the problem by getting involved in Iraq, he said.
Mr Khatami, the most senior Iranian to visit the UK since the 1979 Islamic revolution, said his mission was to remove barriers between East and West.
His attempts at moderation and reform in Iran were ended by the election of the hard line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad last year.
But, in an interview with BBC Radio 4's Today programme, he said he was still working to tackle extremism wherever it existed.

'Extremist' Bush

Mr Khatami condemned "insurgent terrorism" in Iraq.
And he also criticised the "extremist" Bush administration.
The former president said his mission was to break down barriers between the great religions and civilisations of East and West.
To that end, Mr Khatami said that, while British Muslims should recognise they had no religious obligation to wear a veil, they also had the right to wear one.
[b]"You are British first,"[/b] he said - before calling for the Muslim faith to be fully respected in a Christian country.
On Tuesday, Mr Khatami received an honorary degree from the University of St Andrews.
After being met with protests from some students and Iranian exiles, he delivered a lecture in which he talked of a "borderless friendship".
Opponents claim people were tortured, jailed and executed during Mr Khatami's presidency.
His visit to St Andrews provoked fury from human rights organisations and politicians.

[b]US policy 'a joke'[/b]

" Democracy is not something to get exported ", Mohammad Khatami

The former president of Iran, Mohammad Khatami, has branded US attempts to impose Western-style democracy in the Middle East as "a great joke".

Mr Khatami was critical of the US-led military campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq, which he said had led to more Muslims supporting al-Qaeda.
In a wide-ranging interview with the BBC, Mr Khatami, said he was committed to fighting extremism around the world.
He also called on US and UK to leave Iraq in an effort to reduce violence.
Mr Khatami, the most senior Iranian to visit the UK since 1979, served two terms as Iranian president from 1997 until 2005, when he was replaced by the current leader, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Flawed plans

Speaking at Chatham House, a foreign policy think-tank in London, Mr Khatami said Iran was supporting efforts to build strong governments in Iraq and Afghanistan.
But he said the near neighbours of both countries should be in charge of solving the problems of insecurity, and that "foreign alien forces" should leave the region as soon as possible.
"This has been a terrible idea. You know, the Americans are suffering, and you will see the result of this mistake in the upcoming polls in the United States."
The idea that Western-style democracy could be "exported" to the Middle East was flawed from the beginning, Mr Khatami said.
"It's a great joke - the greatest joke that Mr Bush said, that he would like to export democracy to the Middle East.
"Democracy is not something to get exported."

Fighting extremism

During his term in office Mr Khatami was regarded as a reformist leader, whose policies were not always supported by clerics on Iran's ruling Guardian Council.
Mr Khatami now maintains that he aims to tackle extremism wherever it exists, and to break down barriers between the great religions and civilisations of East and West, says the BBC's diplomatic correspondent, James Robbins.
He condemned what he called "insurgent terrorism" in Iraq but also branded the Bush administration extremist.
During the speech he also urged British Muslims to obey UK law, saying they are "British first" and had no religious obligation to wear a scarf or veil.
His visit to the UK has made Mr Khatami the most senior Iranian politician to visit the country since the Islamic Revolution in 1979, but has also sparked protests.
He was forced to enter Chatham House through a side entrance to avoid several hundred demonstrators.

Omrow

Quote:
Muslims are advised to integrate fully within the British society.

why do muslims always get advised to intergrate? the british people should make an effort too

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

I went to a Catholic high school whose slogan was "God's servant first" in reference to St Thomas More who chose death over pleasing the King by granting him a divorce.

Is this proof of Catholics not integrating?

"salaf" wrote:
I went to a Catholic high school whose slogan was "God's servant first" in reference to St Thomas More who chose death over pleasing the King by granting him a divorce.

Is this proof of Catholics not integrating?

Interesting point - if you consider the time period he wrote that and the ensuing decades Catholics were in a very similar situation to Muslims. They were viewed as inherently disloyal (afterall they tried to blow up parliament!!), inherently culturally anti-british, and behind every nasty deed throughout the Kingdom, oh yes and there was a pervading fear that the Catholics were going to convert everybody and there would be no more real Brits in the future.

I think this "British First" "Muslim First" junk is the wrong way to think about it. You should be British every Monday, Thursday and Friday and British on Tuesdays, Saturdays and every second Sunday. On the other Sundays you should be Sikhs since most Brits can't tell the difference anyway.

Problem solved.

"Odysseus" wrote:
They were viewed as inherently disloyal (afterall they tried to blow up parliament!!), inherently culturally anti-british, and behind every nasty deed throughout the Kingdom, oh yes and there was a pervading fear that the Catholics were going to convert everybody and there would be no more real Brits in the future.

They tried to blow up parliament with the help of the secret service.

I didn't think the secret service extended back that far... are we still talking about Guy Fawkes?

"Odysseus" wrote:
I think this "British First" "Muslim First" junk is the wrong way to think about it.

I agree.Firstly one is a religion and the other is a nationality.They don't occupy the same realms.

Secondly the idea that the nation state should be the centre of everyone's identity is basically what Italian fascism stood for.There's no such thing as "feeling British".You're either a citizen or not.

"Odysseus" wrote:
I didn't think the secret service extended back that far... are we still talking about Guy Fawkes?

Yep. Guy Fawkes.

Well, the post-Elizabethan equivalent of a secret service.

Imagine today a group of young Muslims renting a cellar directly under the House of Lords (or Congress, for that matter) and over several weeks filling it with gunpowder. How on earth would they be able to do it without inside 'help'?

"Beast" wrote:
"Odysseus" wrote:

Yep. Guy Fawkes.

Well, the post-Elizabethan equivalent of a secret service.

Imagine today a group of young Muslims renting a cellar directly under the House of Lords (or Congress, for that matter) and over several weeks filling it with gunpowder. How on earth would they be able to do it without inside 'help'?

...maybe they had nice teeth?

"salaf" wrote:
"Odysseus" wrote:
I think this "British First" "Muslim First" junk is the wrong way to think about it.

I agree.Firstly one is a religion and the other is a [b]nationality[/b].They don't occupy the same realms.

Secondly the idea that the [b]nation[/b] state should be the centre of everyone's identity is basically what Italian fascism stood for.There's no such thing as "feeling British".You're either a citizen or not.

That's the problem with Europe, the national identity is not an evolving concept it's frozen to a language religion and ethnicity.

"Odysseus" wrote:
"salaf" wrote:
"Odysseus" wrote:

I agree.Firstly one is a religion and the other is a [b]nationality[/b].They don't occupy the same realms.

Secondly the idea that the [b]nation[/b] state should be the centre of everyone's identity is basically what Italian fascism stood for.There's no such thing as "feeling British".You're either a citizen or not.

That's the problem with Europe, the national identity is not an evolving concept it's frozen to a language religion and ethnicity.

Well I don't know about that.Religion doesn't play much of a role in most of western Europe.

I think it's important to remember also that the states in Europe aren't necessarily reflective of individual cultures. Look at Spain where you still have ethnic/linguistic separatist movements. Also in Italy you have very different cultures in the north and south which is somewhat related to the recent mafia problems.

So when people talk about "British values" or "German values" this is all just rhetoric.

"Kadijah" wrote:
we are british muslims fulll stop.

I agree!! full stop [u][b].[/b][/u]

live and let live!!!!!!!

Technically we are now Europeans.

Thats what the new passports say.

[b][color=indigo]Ok.

Thanks for letting us no.[/color][/b]

im british and prous 2 be

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

I am Muslim and I would rather die than to be recognised as anything other than that FIRST!

I am British also. I will die defending my country.

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition, burns a picture to obtain the ashes!

why do we have to say how british we are , what does it matter how british we are

we are born here , we are doctors , lawyers , shop owners, taxi drivers, teachers ect, we go universities and schools, we play english sport , support english teams , we represent your teams, we watch your tv/films ect

i do not see how we are not integrated

they cannot ask as to choose between islam or being british , cuz we are both naturally we cant help it

if they want us to go to our local boozer, have a good night club , drink till were pissed , have a sunday lunch at the pub , dress half naked ect that wont happen and they shouldnt expect that to happen cuz being british doesnt have a set rules, but the sad fact is the government wnt be happy till we abandon islam e.g. stop wearing head scarfs , beard ect.

this is a multi-cultural society , everyone should accept everyon elses differences cuz if everyone was the same then we would cease to be multi-cultural and thats what makes the country good

why does integration mean we have to integrate to their social norms anyway , why dont they try and integrate to our social norms , or why dont they such accept our differences and embraces and not moan about what we wear and do

yeh were all muslims first being british comes a far second........by about a mile Lol

Nicley Worded!

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition, burns a picture to obtain the ashes!

islam is my religion
being british is my nationality!

they are two diffrent things!! you can't be one before the other! well I can't!!
i am a proud muslim
i am a proud british

I can't even write that sentance on one line!! Lol

live and let live!!!!!!!

Quote:
i am a proud muslim

agree Biggrin

Quote:
i am a proud british

agree Biggrin
[size=7]but not when they drop dead on the ground after getting drunk[/size]

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

A spoon is:

A metal first,

Cutlery second,

And, in the mouth third.

"Omrow" wrote:
A spoon is:

A metal first,

Cutlery second,

And, in the mouth third.

Dirol

...live everyday as your last day...

New Jersey has a spoon museum featuring over 5,400 spoons from every state and almost every country :shock:

To be beautiful is to expect nothing in return.

[color=indigo][b]Omrow i think u should check the place out as you have a passion for spoons Wink [/b][/color]

"Noor...*" wrote:
[color=indigo][b]Omrow i think u should check the place out as you have a passion for spoons Wink [/b][/color]

[b][color=violet]Most definite![/color][/b]

...live everyday as your last day...

Salam

We should concentrate on being humans first.

If you lose your humanity, what are you.

seeing they see not

hearing they hear not

neither do they understand

deaf, dum and blind

they are heartless

cold, brutal and selfish

devoid of pure love

them you see earn bread

they're naught but walking dead

Omrow

In my opnion, a person shouldnt have to choose if theyre brtiish first of muslim second...u can be both. Its a free society and all religions are accepted, embrace who u are and those who cant embrace u need to get over there ignorance.

i am muslim i am muslimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i am muslimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm islam zindabad islam zindabad
takbir allahuakbar

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Pages