Samosa recipe

Salaam all,

The title of this topic should tell you all about me!

Now my wife can cook biryani and pakoras really well, but the whole samosa thing is totally beyond her, she just can't get them right. The taste of the filling nor the pastry thickness (which should be thin).

I know what you’re thinking, do it yourself you chauvinist. Seriously, in the kitchen I’m a disaster. The first time I made toast I melted the toaster. The second time I tried cooking was back in uni days, I didn’t know how to turn the cooker on, the microwave was broken so I warmed my pizza up on a copper coiled heater. That was about as a far as my cooking career goes. Now I have a manifested phobia of kitchens and kitchen utensils (especially cheese graters).

So please help a brother out and tell him the recipe for the awesome samosa he has been craving for, for 2 years (marriage life). Pretty please!

mmm

Go out and buy frozen ready made ones.

You can get both halal mince ones and veggie ones.

Back in BLACK

Brother have you ever tasted them? Man them somosas are full of garlic! Don't taste good at all. I may aswell cook myself!

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition, burns a picture to obtain the ashes!

"mmm" wrote:
Brother have you ever tasted them? Man them somosas are full of garlic! Don't taste good at all. I may aswell cook myself!

I dont know which ones you tried but the ones i had were nothing like that. You must have been to a cr@ppy shop. Go get the good stuff.

Back in BLACK

[b][color=indigo]Get the ones which have 20 somosas in a pack, they are gowjus![/color][/b]

[color=magenta]nah man, home made ones are deffo the best ones, i hate the coconut ones but the keema, vegetable and chicken ones are the best, they are real simple to mke, i would be able to make them if i could cook meat.

here's my tip you knw your wife she can cook dishes such as keema,vegetable and chicken so she should cook them are normal, wiv the pastry we tend to use two layers cause when its fried in oil the oil seems to leak thru, apart from cooking the filling everythng is easy, me n my sis try n do a sly one by stuffing chillis in the corners cause the corners dont seem to fill up, but mum told us off [/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

[b][color=indigo]Coconut samosas?? [/color][/b]:shock:

[color=magenta]havent you tried it?all my friends love it but i cant stand it[/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

"Noor...*" wrote:
[b][color=indigo]Coconut samosas?? [/color][/b]:shock:

Its the first ive heard of them.... and i know my foods

Back in BLACK

"Exquisite" wrote:
[color=magenta]havent you tried it?all my friends love it but i cant stand it[/color]

[b][color=indigo]Never heard of them!!

Are they stuffed with coconuts or sumthing? lol[/color][/b]

1. Put a tiny little oil in a pan. I mean like two drops of it!!
2. Chop green chillies(6-8 depending how hot you want 'em) finely! And add them to the oil you have heated up.
3. Let this cook for 30 seconds only!! or you'll be coughing away!!
4. Now add the chiken keema. Or the Lamb keema! and add garlic and ginger paste.
5. Let it cook, until the keema's natural water evaporates.
6. now turn the heat on low.
7. boil potatoes and drain. Boil peas if you want. again drain.
8. chop up corriander.
9. Back to the keema.......add in garam masala and grinded corriander seeds.
10. add in da potatoes and other veg.
11. also onions chopped finely. you can drain away the water by puuting the chopped up onion in cotton material and squeezing d water away. I just add em like thay are!
12.Once tha filling has cooled down,then add the corriander(green) and chaat masala!!
13. buy ready made pastry(somosa leaves) and fill! And that bit I can't explain!

freeze em by lining em up against each outher. once froze put em in a bag and then fry when you need them!

live and let live!!!!!!!

Coconut samosas : when the interior of the coconut (the white bit) is grated and is stuffed inside the samosa, there may be a process of doing something with the grated white coconut before stuffing them, I don't know, my mum makes em and I eat em Biggrin

But I prefer keema/chicken samosas.

"MuslimBro" wrote:
Coconut samosas : when the interior of the coconut (the white bit) is grated and is stuffed inside the samosa, there may be a process of doing something with the grated white coconut before stuffing them, I don't know, my mum makes em and I eat em Biggrin

But I prefer keema/chicken samosas.

[b][color=indigo]So the coconut is fired? :?

Sounds a lil disgusting. [/color][/b]

erm i got two samosa recipes i think they taste best when the filling is mild but with lots of fragrant corriander and a sweet spicy dip.

Anyways here's one way:

(Keema samosas, based on 1 1/2 pounds of sheep mince)

1)1 1/2 medium onion finely chopped, 5 garlic cloves finely crushed, similar amount of ginger finely crushed, 3 leaves of bay leaves, 2 small sticks of cinnamon.

Add all these to a cool saucepan, with the mince meat, and a bit of salt,put the pan on the heat.

2) As the water begins coming out the meat add either a bit of good veg oil, or desert spoon of ghee butter. I think it smells good in meat but obviously oil is healthier. Let it cook on med heat,

3) once water is slightly reduced lower heat and add 1/2 tspn tumeric, 1 tspn curry powder stir and cook on low. At this point it can burn so keep an eye on it. Let the spices cook, you'll notice difference in smell when spices are cooked as opposed to raw. If it sticks to pan add a bit of water once and reduce.

4) once it's fairly reduced but still moist add a little cooked browned onion if you wish cook for 2 more mins, and add chopped corriander and remove immediately.

5) To make it easier for your wife buy ready made pastry i think the best ones are this arabic make..it says "sambosa pastry" on it and they#re thicker than spring roll pastry much tastier too, any desi supermarket or oriental market will have them. And glue with either water or a flour water mix.

i make the pastry at home coz i like hard work and great tasting food...okies i don't like the sweat but taste is worth it.

I don't really like peas so i've not added them you can if you wish, and as noor mentioned you can add potato cubes if you want me mum addes bits of carrot sometimes aswell.

Another version as above but no spices no curry powder or tumeric, just corriander i think it tastes better like that, that's coz im so used to eating it as above bored i suppose. My somali mates make it without any spices they're delicious.

P.S those coconut things my bengali friends are traditionally made with home made puff/shortbread pastry, not samosa sheets. nowadays some folks use spring roll pastry coz of the ease. My mum is stuck in her ways she makes the pastry and seals them so beautiful like pasties. I guess it's true how kids turn into their parents coz i do the same, it tastes so much better. Muslimbro the coconut is lightly browned in a pan with a little ghee butter, cinnamon, bay leaves, cardimon and lots and lots of sugar..boy it tastes good! lol This same mix is used with palm date sugar (guur) in bengali pan cakes..i love it ! If fresh coconut is not available you can use dessicated coconut, but the fresh stuff tastes worlds apart.

I also like palm date cakes duno what you call them in any other language called "guur handesh", they're another bengali delicacy .A batter is made from the palm date sugar with flour and it's shallow fried, come out like large dumplings..man they taste amazing fresh" crisp on outside moist inside it's like a sticky toffee cake sorta in texture. They're not easy to make though you gota get batter right or they shall sink not float Wink

One more thing i like lol. lentil pastry things..again only bengas make um..although i've only ever seen them in my mum and aunties house guess ppl don't bother much here back home they must. They're traditionally in a sorta of wide triangular shape not like samosas though. Made with ground rice flour pastry and a few spices. Pastry is hard to make. The filling is lightly spiced and fried dry red lentils. Boy they taste good!

I have little patience for Somasa making....whilst I do agree, that home-made ones taste the best, it takes us a WHOLE day to make them, and thats me, mum and my sister working together....we made 80 from scratch at the beginning of Ramadan...and it took hardly any time to eat them.

When I'm managing a house of my own, I'm def buying ready-made ones.

Mum very rarely made them when we were little, coz she used to say the same, and it's true - it takes no time at all to eat them. Now though, we're 3 sisters so it's not so bad.

From the above, it seems everyone has their own way of making them.

"yashmaki" wrote:
palm date sugar (guur)

Thanks sis, I always wondered what that was! - remember having it in Pakistan.

[color=indigo][b]I love making home made samosas, its so much fun when theres 6 of you making them togther and the job gets dun quicker![/b][/color]

"Noor...*" wrote:
[color=indigo][b]I love making home made samosas, its so much fun when theres 6 of you making them togther and the job gets dun quicker![/b][/color]

I would love help with samosas!! It's fun that way. But I tend to fill them when my son is at school. But I'm really fast!

live and let live!!!!!!!

I agree home made samosa's are the best especially when mum makes the keema and I help fill the samosa's! mmm samosa's

Rolls are nice especially home made ones!! Dirol

Who is the cat of the Forum? MEZ!
Your damn right!

[color=indigo][b]I attempted to make a roll once! [/b][/color]

I can make perfect rolls !! Dirol

Your damn right!

[b][color=indigo]The one i made turned out fat and ugly Cray 2

But it tasted alright.[/color][/b]

Lol

Your damn right!

For anyone who wants a good read, [url= Johnson: A word to the tabloids

[img]

Not about samosas.

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]