Muslim teacher suspended for wearing veil

Quote:
[size=18]Muslim teacher defends her veil[/size]

A Muslim support teacher suspended for wearing a veil in class says it was never a problem for her pupils.

Headfield Church of England Junior School, in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, said pupils found it hard to understand her during English language lessons.

But Aishah Azmi, 24, said: "They never complained." She added she was willing to take the veil off in class, but not in front of any male colleagues.

London Mayor Ken Livingstone said he would like Muslims to give up the veil.

[b]'Unacceptable' request[/b]

But he suggested change was not something that could be imposed from outside the Muslim community.

He said: ""People have fought for centuries to establish freedom of religion and culture.

"It is the choice of each individual what they believe and what they wear. It is unacceptable for any politician to ask a woman coming to seek help to take off a Muslim veil or any other item of religious clothing."

Mr Livingstone said any change would happen from within, and that it was important to engage with "the progressive elements and leaders in the Muslim community".

Ms Azmi was suspended pending the outcome of an employment tribunal, which is due to announce its decision within the next two weeks.

Kirklees Council said she was asked to take off her veil in class and refused, but the action was "nothing to do with religion", only a practical matter about making herself understood.

But Ms Azmi told Today: "It hasn't caused a problem between myself and the children. They've never complained and we had a brilliant relationship."

She added: "To say the students have a problem with communication, that's not right."

Disputing the school's version of events, she insisted she had always been willing to take off her veil in front of the children but would not in front of male colleagues.

[b]'Koran instruction'[/b]

She had been instructed to take it off throughout the school day, she said.

"The veil is really important to all Muslim women who choose to wear it. Our religion compels us to wear it because it's in the Koran."

The school, which has 529 pupils aged seven to 11, takes many children from different ethnic backgrounds where English is not the first language.

The Leader of the Commons, Jack Straw, first raised the issue last week when he suggested the full veil over the face separated communities.

About 60 demonstrators gathered outside his morning surgery at Bangor Street Community Centre in Blackburn on Saturday.

A larger demonstration had been planned but was abandoned because of safety concerns.

A survey in the Guardian newspaper suggests 53% of people support Mr Straw in thinking the veils create a barrier between Muslims and other people.

But three-quarters opposed a ban on veils being worn outside the home.

[url= News[/url]

[color=magenta]how the the veil wasnt an issue before jack straw brought the whole issue up?the sister was perfectly capable of teaching with her veil before all of a sudden it has become such a massive issue[/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

Its not nice to scare the children with a black mask.

They easily get frightened.

[color=magenta]they arent scaring people, kids arent scared of the power rangers, im not comparing the veil to the power rangers costumes but both cover the face[/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

[b][color=indigo]Well they wasnt scared before, why all the sudden change?
[/color][/b]
:roll:

[color=magenta]exactly, maybe its the school board who has the problem with the niqab n not the kids[/color]

why did she say that the niqab is in the Quran?

its not commanded in the quran or the AUTHENTIC ahadith....

what an idiot :roll:

[color=red]"The best of people are those who live longest and excel in their deeds, whereas the worst of people are those who live longest and corrupt their deeds." [Tirmidhî, Sahîh] [/color]

[color=magenta]dont strt name calling, if she wants to waer the niqaab she should have been allowed to[/color]

but she should NOT lie

she lied and said it was in the Quran

I hate people who claim something is written in the Quran when it is not

it is immensly irritating

the quran talks about ppl like that:

2:78 Among them are idiots who have no idea what is in the scripture, except through hearsay, [i]then they start believing that they know it.[/i]

(not litral translation)

:twisted:

[color=red]"The best of people are those who live longest and excel in their deeds, whereas the worst of people are those who live longest and corrupt their deeds." [Tirmidhî, Sahîh] [/color]

[b][color=indigo]There are arguments for and against the Niqaab made by great Scholars from accross the globe. To you the Niqaab may not be a Fardh but to that sister it is. So please try and respect that.[/color][/b]

"Noor...*" wrote:
[b][color=indigo]There are arguments for and against the Niqaab made by great Scholars from accross the globe. To you the Niqaab may not be a Fardh but to that sister it is. So please try and respect that.[/color][/b]

its NOT written in the quran or the AUTHENTIC ahadith (notice the emphasis on "authentic")

no i wont respect her innovating into the deen, and neither should u guys....

name some of these `[b]great[/b] scholers` that say it is compulsary? (the emphasis is on `great`)

[b][color=indigo]Your no scholar, so why the hell shall i listen to you???

If sisters want to follow in the footsteps of the mother of believers and many great Sahabiyas then Allahmdulliah. Whats your problem??[/color][/b]

[color=magenta]exactly, look we should be supporting this sister n not calling her names im sure loads of other people are doin that already[/color]

"Noor...*" wrote:
[b][color=indigo]Your no scholar, so why the hell shall i listen to you???

If sisters want to follow in the footsteps of the mother of believers and many great Sahabiyas then Allahmdulliah. Whats your problem??[/color][/b]

she LIED and said it was in the quran

if it was in the quran then ALL women would have to where it

i dont know why u guys are overlooking what she said

would u like it if a muslim sed "the quran tells us to kill all the dirty kafir"

no u fricken would not!

when people say that something is written in the quran, and it is not, it causes mass confusion, and i hate that!

why should i treat her any different from an ignorent pig who says "Allah sed in the quran to kill all dirty kafir"???

where do we draw the lines?

saying something is in the quran when it is not is dangerous,

and dont trust scholers on everyting stmark quotes them quite often, they do more harm then good, and they only do it for the status and money.

BTW how do u know this Niqabi is not the type of girl that looks down at non-niqabis?

never would i support an innovator, in my experience they have been too arrogent for my linking,

btw i FULLY support the right for women to where the niqab

but we dont live in a muslim country and we should reason with non-muslims to a certain extent on matters which r not compulsery in the deen.

"TEX" wrote:

BTW how do u know this Niqabi is not the type of girl that looks down at non-niqabis?
[color=magenta]

and how do you knw she does?lets not make assumptions abt the sister now[/color]

i did NOT assume she was

i said how do u know that she aint?

:twisted:

read carfully!

"Exquisite" wrote:
[color=magenta]how the the veil wasnt an issue before jack straw brought the whole issue up?the sister was perfectly capable of teaching with her veil before all of a sudden it has become such a massive issue[/color]
It was an issue it just hadn't been brought out and discussed.

[color=magenta]so why did thy bring up the topic now?if it was an issue shouldnt thy have addressed i when it arose orginally?[/color]

Assalamu Alaikum Tex,

I doubt the sister lied there are some muslims who believe there is Quranic evidence for the wearing of the veil i.e salafis one example. I'm not saying she is salafi but just pointing out there is this perspective. So she is not lying in that sense.

Or she may be referring to the fact that when the verse of the hijab was first revealed the early women of Islam started tearing off pieces of their garments to cover their faces aswell, this is documented in hadith.

Before you accuse her of lying just think perhaps she never lied as far as she was concerned, we're just misconstruing things.

When this story hit the news the other day before even hearing the sisters side of the story there were accusations, and allegations that she was some radical or crazed person coz she wouldn't reveal her face to the kids. I was thinking yeah right any muslim woman would know it's permissible to reveal the face to kids. Whataya know this morning she came out with a statement that she never refused to reveal her face to the kids at all, the only reason she declined was coz a male colleague was present, and also coz the school was insisting that she take off her veil in the corridors, staff room etc. So maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge ppl, especially those we claim to call our brothers and sisters in faith?

If kids are afraid of the niqab once it's explained to them they're far more accepting than prejudiced adults. This kid in town was laughing at me the other day not ridiculing or nothing he was just a toddler bless. He thght i was playing peekaboo with him or something coz my face was covered. His mum apologised, i said there was no need. I showed him my face and he just laughed some more, but he was no longer curious. Kids are more intelligent than ppl realise. The old excuse kids are scared well yes they may be but you can resolve that problem with children, with adults even with long scholarly debates and articles they will still look down upon you like you're an embarrassment to society or a bird that needs to be freed.

The world is going mad today i heard this lady is taking British Airways to court coz they are refusing to let her wear her crucifix, apparently it contravenes uniform rules. Staff may wear religious symbols under their garments not above. But sikhs are permitted to wear their turbans and bangles, and muslim women can wear their hijabs. I think this is madness for heavens sake it's a crucifix it's far more subtle than the garments of the other religious groups so why the big fuss has the world gone mad? Also even though the uk is largely full of atheists it is still known as a Christian country last i checked so why are they discriminating against their own faith??? I support this lady i hope she wins.

[color=magenta]Wow, fantastic reply sis, i totally agree wiv u all the way, thank you for presenting thi argument in such a calm n imformative way[/color]

"yashmaki" wrote:
Assalamu Alaikum Tex,

I doubt the sister lied there are some muslims who believe there is Quranic evidence for the wearing of the veil i.e salafis one example. I'm not saying she is salafi but just pointing out there is this perspective. So she is not lying in that sense.

I've never come across good enuff evidence for it to be proved that the niqab is compulsery.

The ones that tried to use the quran or authentic ahadith, usaully `speak over them` if u look at the verses properly u would see that they just try to derive a meaning that is not there...

Quote:
Or she may be referring to the fact that when the verse of the hijab was first revealed the early women of Islam started tearing off pieces of their garments to cover their faces aswell, this is documented in hadith.

I have not heard that before

However claiming something is compulsery when it aint just makes islam sound stricter then it really is.

----

And yeah i agree with Exquisite, that was a good post, but then again all yash's posts are good....

first of all COVERING D FACE IS WRONG IN A NON MUSLIM COUNTRY! lets not go down that road. But wearing it to teach?????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm speachless!! she either needs a career change, or she needs to teach at an islamic school! Does this woman not know what a headscarf is??? Is it necessary for her to go this far?

Islam doesn't need this kind of attention.!

live and let live!!!!!!!

i concur

"TEX" wrote:
i concur

HUH?

live and let live!!!!!!!

"saima786" wrote:
first of all COVERING D FACE IS WRONG IN A NON MUSLIM COUNTRY!

[b][color=indigo]
Says who?[/color][/b]

"Noor...*" wrote:
"saima786" wrote:

[b][color=indigo]
Says who?[/color][/b]

ME!!!!!! AND JUST LOOK AT THE OTHER POLLS!!!!

OH and who said it's right to wear it?

All I am saying is, that the teacher should be well covered. she doesn't need to cover her face.

live and let live!!!!!!!

spread peace!!! and the GOOD name of Islam!!!!!! please please please!!! coz at the moment that is not happening! and it's YOU guys that need to change that!

live and let live!!!!!!!

"saima786" wrote:
"Noor...*" wrote:
"saima786" wrote:

[b][color=indigo]
Says who?[/color][/b]

ME!!!!!!

[b][color=indigo]And why shall i listen to you or anyone else for that matter?
For the millionth time, EVERY individual has the right to wear what they want regardless of how it effects society around them!!!!

This issue been disscussd a million times! It's obvious that your not going to agree so whats the point in arguing over it?

Get over it!
[/color][/b]

"Noor...*" wrote:
"saima786" wrote:
"Noor...*" wrote:
"saima786" wrote:

[b][color=indigo]
Says who?[/color][/b]

ME!!!!!!

[b][color=indigo]And why shall i listen to you or anyone else for that matter?
For the millionth time, EVERY individual has the right to wear what they want regardless of how it effects society around them!!!!

This issue been disscussd a million times! It's obvious that your not going to agree so whats the point in arguing over it?

Get over it!
[/color][/b]

This topic was set up for people to discuss!!! And argue
And I have a right to my opinion!! I want people to know about islam..........and I want them to think of it in a good way........

Why can't these people just go to a muslim country?? it's obvious the don't feel at home here!! :roll:

I'm against the COVERING OF THE FACE! why can't you see someone elses side?

live and let live!!!!!!!

she duz not want to see anybody elses side

its all black and white to her

if she was a non-muslim i bet she would want it banned - she has that type of narrow minded personality

Pages