Tea 'healthier' drink than water

Quote:
[size=18]Tea 'healthier' drink than water[/size]

Drinking three or more cups of tea a day is as good for you as drinking plenty of water and may even have extra health benefits, say researchers.

The work in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition dispels the common belief that tea dehydrates.

Tea not only rehydrates as well as water does, but it can also protect against heart disease and some cancers, UK nutritionists found.

Experts believe flavonoids are the key ingredient in tea that promote health.

[b]Healthy cuppa[/b]

These polyphenol antioxidants are found in many foods and plants, including tea leaves, and have been shown to help prevent cell damage.

Public health nutritionist Dr Carrie Ruxton, and colleagues at Kings College London, looked at published studies on the health effects of tea consumption.

They found clear evidence that drinking three to four cups of tea a day can cut the chances of having a heart attack.

Some studies suggested tea consumption protected against cancer, although this effect was less clear-cut.

Other health benefits seen included protection against tooth plaque and potentially tooth decay, plus bone strengthening.

Dr Ruxton said: "Drinking tea is actually better for you than drinking water. Water is essentially replacing fluid. Tea replaces fluids and contains antioxidants so its got two things going for it."

[b]Rehydrating[/b]

She said it was an urban myth that tea is dehydrating.

"Studies on caffeine have found very high doses dehydrate and everyone assumes that caffeine-containing beverages dehydrate. But even if you had a really, really strong cup of tea or coffee, which is quite hard to make, you would still have a net gain of fluid.

"Also, a cup of tea contains fluoride, which is good for the teeth," she added.

There was no evidence that tea consumption was harmful to health. However, research suggests that tea can impair the body's ability to absorb iron from food, meaning people at risk of anaemia should avoid drinking tea around mealtimes.

Dr Ruxton's team found average tea consumption was just under three cups per day.

She said the increasing popularity of soft drinks meant many people were not drinking as much tea as before.

"Tea drinking is most common in older people, the 40 plus age range. In older people, tea sometimes made up about 70% of fluid intake so it is a really important contributor," she said.

Claire Williamson of the British Nutrition Foundation said: "Studies in the laboratory have shown potential health benefits.

"The evidence in humans is not as strong and more studies need to be done. But there are definite potential health benefits from the polyphenols in terms of reducing the risk of diseases such as heart disease and cancers.

"In terms of fluid intake, we recommend 1.5-2 litres per day and that can include tea. Tea is not dehydrating. It's a healthy drink."

The Tea Council provided funding for the work. Dr Ruxton stressed that the work was independent.

[url= News[/url]

Only issue is that thet independant research was comission by the tea council.

I HATE tea, cant stand it!

The smell of it makes me SICK!

It's so bland and tasteless!

Yeah, that makes sense, but only without the full fat milk and teaspoons of sugar!

I dont like tea, but I have to have one cup in the morning with milk and 1 sugar, and if I dont have that I get a really, really bad headache, which lasts all day. I know this is just psychological, so I've tried not drinking it, but it seriousely is not worth the pain - it just ruins the whole day. All us kids are like that as mum got us all into the habit from a young age, none of us drink tea at any other time.

Im quite good with my water though, most days I manage to drink about 2 litres.

I would say that water is more healthier then tea!

I have to have tea at least once in the day other wise I sart to have a headache and start to fell cranky! :?

Who is the cat of the Forum? MEZ!
Your damn right!

I never have tea and i feel just fine! and when i do have it, and thats once in a blue moon, i feeel so ill and sick..!

Even if tea is healthier than water, just think to yourself.....

Can you live without water....nope.....but you can without tea.

So now ask yourself....which one is healthier?

tea stains ur teeth

i've tried the 8glasses of water a day thing so many times-but london water is so yucky i cant manage it

only in B'ham i can keep this up

I rarely drink tea... unless its some aunty forcing it down me even after ive said i dont drink tea which seems to be frowned upon for some reason but not when people drink it 5/6 times a day. So whats the definition of addiction again?

Come to think about it... i tend to avoid all hot drinks if i can. They give me headaches.

Back in BLACK

[color=magenta]i love tea, great news for tea lovers i suppose[/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

"Exquisite" wrote:
[color=magenta]i love tea, great news for tea lovers i suppose[/color]

Not really.

The news does not make it better for you. The drink does.

And as with all health stories I would say within the next few days there will be a further article saying tea is bad for you... scientists can never make up their minds.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

[color=magenta]true true, but im addicted to coffee, tea doesnt gv me the same feeling no mre its coffee first n tea second[/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

When I go to someone's house and I'm offered tea...first I have to ask them how they make it, if its Paki style, then I refuse...and because of course I HAVE to drink something, I ask for cold milk....but because I cant trust the fact that their milk is off or has been left standing on room temp I offer to get it myself.

Tea/Coffee etc is very bad for your teeth. It leaves ugly stains.

"MuslimSister" wrote:

Your sister mention the same thing, stained teeth is hardly life threatening or a burden on the NHS

Now that is pretty bad.

Me, myself I go on the first thing that comes out of my mouth. I mostly am not paying attention, so when someone asks drink? food? I probably do not realise, just either say yes or no.

Now I stick to what I said the first time. If I said no, no matter how hungry oir thirsty I am, I will stay that way. Dunno why, but its a habit I have picked up.

Now if they give rice with either chick peas or green peas... now that is where the test comes. I have never been able to eat them. Its not that I cannot eat them, but the fact that I cannot even stomach them (The taste is not too much an issue. Dunno why I cannot stomach it.). I puke there and then.

I have had to eat them on eid once. Went to a relatives house who we do not get on with (no surprise there... paki's not getting on? I am shocked!). Now it would be damn impolite to say something, so I put a spoonful in my plate, and thought I would pick at it. It got noticed and someone decided to put more in. Most uncomfortable dining experience ever. I cannot stomach the thing. So I would put it in my mouth, and hold my lips together with my left hand soi as not to puke. Managed to get through it just about. No diea if anyone noticed as I was putting all my effor in keeping the food down.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

It does not make sense... 'tea healthier than water' , could never believe that even though i would like to as i have more tea than water in a day..thats like nor more than 3 cups of tea to one cup of water.

"naj" wrote:
It does not make sense... 'tea healthier than water' , could never believe that even though i would like to as i have more tea than water in a day..thats like nor more than 3 cups of tea to one cup of water.

You do realise tea is more or less flavoured water?

yes but then it isnt considered as flavoured water, water is natural healthy..then tea has caffine which can be unhealthy, you wouldnt say 'indian' tea is more or less flavoured water.

Anyone know whats the average caffine intake thats healthy?

"(*_Shazan" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:

Your sister mention the same thing, stained teeth is hardly life threatening or a burden on the NHS

I know. But it looks ugly. I like sparkling white teeth, when I used to drink tea twice a day my teeth lost their whiteness...so now I just drink tea once a day, if that.

Admin, I have the same problem...for for, its milky stuff or any dish made out of milk, which cancels out Kheer, saveya, ghajrela, custurd etc etc which is what nearly everyone serves....

Lumpy or warm milk dishes makes me retch....I too have often forced myself to eat whilst trying to stop puking at the same time.