SHARIAH TV

[b]
SHARIAH TV Series 3[/b]

Tazeen AhmadChannel 4's Shariah TV is back for a third series. In each programme a studio audience, hosted by Tazeen Ahmad, discusses issues of concern to Muslims in Britain today. A panel of experts is on hand to interpret the sources of Islamic law and see what guidance Shariah can offer when confronted by the challenges and complexities of modern life.

Programme 1: From Guantánamo to Forest Gate
Monday 7 August 2006 at 12 midnight
What impact is the 'War on Terror' having on the lives of British Muslims?

Programme 2: Growing up Muslim in Britain
Tuesday 8 August 2006 at 12.35am
(early hours of Weds)
How can young Muslims deal with the dilemmas of living in a Western society?

Programme 3: Sex and relationships
Wednesday 9 August 2006 at 12.50am
(early hours of Thurs)
What do Islamic scholars have to say about the personal lives of individuals?

Programme 4: Futuristic Islam
Thursday 10 August at 11.55pm
Can a code for life written 1,400 years ago offer relevant guidance in a world driven by science and technology?

Oh [banned word], I missed the first 3 programmes. Is there going to be a repeat?

Ed' you could have told us about it a few days ago, I blame you!

good topical debate show, more of these kinds of shows should be shown on t.v

My brother recorded one of these programmes for me. No offence but channel 4 doesn't ever seem to get traditional scholars on their panel. If they're not using an all scholar panel how can it be called shariah tv? i mean you can't pass religious verdicts if you're not qualified in the islamic sense. Holding a PHd or degree doesn't qualify as being a scholar, if you're muslim you should know what i mean. I saw one episode the other day one shia cleric..he was the only scholar i presume. Abdul Hakim Murad..is he a scholar, or a rep for muslim council of britain? finally the director of islamic studies in Glasgow uni.

Suffice to say the lady was criticised on several occasions for failing to provide textual evidences from memory for her verdicts. Perhaps she should have told the audience she was not in fact a scholar as such, but a student of the religion?

I think the programme is a load of... cheap TV. it doesn't really represent Shariah at all. I enjoyed the first series with that guy in the pink shirt, but i admit it was more entertainment than educational. You guys and gals may think otherwise please do share your views.

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
[b]
SHARIAH TV Series 3[/b]

Tazeen AhmadChannel 4's Shariah TV is back for a third series. In each programme a studio audience, hosted by Tazeen Ahmad, discusses issues of concern to Muslims in Britain today. A panel of experts is on hand to interpret the sources of Islamic law and see what guidance Shariah can offer when confronted by the challenges and complexities of modern life.

Programme 1: From Guantánamo to Forest Gate
Monday 7 August 2006 at 12 midnight
What impact is the 'War on Terror' having on the lives of British Muslims?

Programme 2: Growing up Muslim in Britain
Tuesday 8 August 2006 at 12.35am
(early hours of Weds)
How can young Muslims deal with the dilemmas of living in a Western society?

Programme 3: Sex and relationships
Wednesday 9 August 2006 at 12.50am
(early hours of Thurs)
What do Islamic scholars have to say about the personal lives of individuals?

Programme 4: Futuristic Islam
Thursday 10 August at 11.55pm
Can a code for life written 1,400 years ago offer relevant guidance in a world driven by science and technology?

i knew they were on but i couldn't watch pogramme 1 and i can't watch 4 either- way past my bedtime
the other two sound boring

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

"yashmaki" wrote:
My brother recorded one of these programmes for me. No offence but channel 4 doesn't ever seem to get traditional scholars on their panel. If they're not using an all scholar panel how can it be called shariah tv? i mean you can't pass religious verdicts if you're not qualified in the islamic sense. Holding a PHd or degree doesn't qualify as being a scholar, if you're muslim you should know what i mean. I saw one episode the other day one shia cleric..he was the only scholar i presume. Abdul Hakim Murad..is he a scholar, or a rep for muslim council of britain? finally the director of islamic studies in Glasgow uni.

Suffice to say the lady was criticised on several occasions for failing to provide textual evidences from memory for her verdicts. Perhaps she should have told the audience she was not in fact a scholar as such, but a student of the religion?

I think the programme is a load of... cheap TV. it doesn't really represent Shariah at all. I enjoyed the first series with that guy in the pink shirt, but i admit it was more entertainment than educational. You guys and gals may think otherwise please do share your views.

Abdul Hakim Murad is a scholar, as authentic as they come....has nowt to do with MCB

Quote:
Abdal Hakim Murad graduated from Cambridge University with a double-first in Arabic in 1983. He then lived in Cairo for three years, studying Islam under traditional teachers at Al-Azhar, one of the oldest universities in the world. He went on to reside for three years in Jeddah, where he administered a commercial translation office and maintained close contact with Habib Ahmad Mashhur al-Haddad and other ulama from Hadramaut, Yemen.

In 1989, Shaikh Abdal Hakim returned to England and spent two years at the University of London learning Turkish and Farsi. Since 1992 he has been a doctoral student at Oxford University, specializing in the religious life of the early Ottoman Empire. He is currently Secretary of the Muslim Academic Trust (London) and Director of the Sunna Project at the Centre of Middle Eastern Studies at Cambridge University, which issues the first-ever scholarly Arabic editions of the major Hadith collections.

Shaikh Abdal Hakim is the translator of a number of works, including two volumes from Imam al-Ghazali's Ihya Ulum al-Din. He gives durus and halaqas from time to time and taught the works of Imam al-Ghazali at the Winter 1995 Deen Intensive Program in New Haven, CT. He appears frequently on BBC Radio and writes occasionally for a number of publications, including The Independent; Q-News International, Britain's premier Muslim Magazine; and Seasons, the semiacademic journal of Zaytuna Institute.

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

wait a min i got the wrong dude then that's not his name. He was on shariah TV an African brother. What's his name?

Abdul Hakim Murad is a caucasian convert i think how could i mix them up loool.

ok found the info on channel 4 he was : Dr Daud Abdullah, Deputy Secretary-General of the Muslim Council of Britain

No offence intended towards either brother sorry for the mix up, big oops.

Abdal Hakim Murad - also known as T J .

MashaALLAH that Mawlana English is on a next level. dunno what he's talking abt half the time :oops:

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
Abdal Hakim Murad - also known as T J .

MashaALLAH that Mawlana English is on a next level. dunno what he's talking abt half the time :oops:

Yup, T J Winters........i too cant understand him a lot, his level is waay ahead. Heard him in salford once, its then i realised how thick i am lol

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

lool@med. yes he does the "contentions" articles on the masud website doesn't he? Excellent website.

"yashmaki" wrote:
lool@med. yes he does the "contentions" articles on the masud website doesn't he? Excellent website.

aint read it. I just heard him a few times and was like - speak ENGLISH :!: :!:

Is he some aristocracy or summat? No1 I knw speaks like him :?

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

highly educated, and Cambridge Uni!

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"yashmaki" wrote:
no he's a very well educated man, Allah has blessed him with such intellect :).

Here are some of his works, get your dictionary out before you begin, it's a good way of increasing vocab!

Yup!

I thinks it shows the level that muslims should aspire to be at, and work towards. our intellectual levels are seriously low, and the problem is not because he speaks at high level, but we have stooped to low levels of intellectuality. my view!

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"yashmaki" wrote:

Here are some of his works, get your dictionary out before you begin, it's a good way of increasing vocab!

jazakillah

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Everytime Abu usama bought any proof from the Quran and sunnah, the presenter laughed at the daleel, and dismissed it completely. whenever an islamic text or sahih ahadith didnt fit in with their desires u had so called muslims saying things like "now i dont believe/accept that"

you what ? They should re-name it the "hawaa show"

On the first episode; Dr Daud Abdullah remained silent when Akhee ask him whether it was permissible to fight/ go over and fight physical jihad, and Daud didn’t answers, and Akhee insisted he talk straight.................................

"yashmaki" wrote:

I've notice in particular with two British born revets, Martin Lings (Abu Bakr Siraj Ad-Din) and Shaykh Daoud Sharafuddin Rosser-Owen write in ways the average layman might find it hard to comprehend, but a good way to increase our knowledge by following great masters of the English lexicon Smile

Shaykh Daoud Sharafuddin Rosser-Owen Blog:

am i right in saying that Martin Lings is no longer with us?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Sirus" wrote:

My bad, Innaa lillaahi wa innaa ilayhi raaji'oon

"(*_Shazan" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:

Innaa lillaahi wa innaa ilayhi raaji'oon

I asked coz i was unsure! how long ago, recent?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Sirus" wrote:
"(*_Shazan" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:

Innaa lillaahi wa innaa ilayhi raaji'oon

I asked coz i was unsure! how long ago, recent?

May 12 2005

May Allah grant him the highest of stations in His Jannah.

Ameen

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Sirus" wrote:
Ameen

I got 2 of his books, and truly brilliant literate talent and an original understanding of the Din. Bilography of the Prophet (Saw) beautiful book

"(*_Shazan" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:
Ameen

I got 2 of his books, and truly brilliant literate talent and an original understanding of the Din. Bilography of the Prophet (Saw) beautiful book

the Biography of his is really famous, i may ask ma sis to buy me that

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Sirus" wrote:
"(*_Shazan" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:
Ameen

the Biography of his is really famous, i may ask ma sis to buy me that

Freshi don’t delay and stop posting and ring her now! Lol

RE: Abdal Hakim Murad

lol at aristocracy.

He speaks beautifully.

Listen to "Relliance on Allah".

thats the one you sent me right?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Sirus" wrote:

Yep, you listened to it yet?

"Beast" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:

Yep, you listened to it yet?

:oops:

i will do soon inshallah!

its not easy....ur good with words, im not!

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Beast" wrote:
RE: Abdal Hakim Murad

lol at aristocracy.

He speaks beautifully.

Listen to "Relliance on Allah".

lol. you don't happen to study at Cambridge Uni do you? (or i should say 'have studied' seeing as how you've graduated now). all my mates studying there are big fans of Abdal Hakim Murad. not that there's anything wrong with that ofcourse. Smile

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

the concept was good.

i just really despise the way the presenter starts screwing at the panel to answer 'what shariiah says', time and time again ... and then when they do reply, interupts them half way through their answers to let someone ask another question..! Does she not have an ounce of adaab for the scholars... having said that, sometimes their panel are good and other times they arnt scholars on shariah, so how on earth can they be expected to answer form a shariah persective?

And if she cared so much about what shariah said then she'd cover properly in the first place ... no offence... but it is trying to get folk to see traditional islam right ?

Quote:
I think the programme is a load of... cheap TV. it doesn't really represent Shariah at all.
aoothobillah...but thank you!!

< You turn to Him with divine obedience
He turns to you with Divine Love >

Pages