Integrating into British society

Today Tony Blair said that it is we moderate muslims who have to root out extremism within our midst. Many muslims apparantly don't integrate enough.

I think integrating has limits and we should not cross that limit and go against Islam.
I mean that people should be able to read, write and speak English, they should be working and paying taxes, they should get along with other non muslims etc.

But i feel under no circumstances must we integrate to a level that goes against the teachings of Islam. Such as drinking, going clubbing, freely dating and fornicating, wearing next to nothing revealing youre body etc.

We still have the right to practice our religion and integrate into British society.

What do you guys think?

I am thinking or writing an article on this ...

pls feel to free to answer the following questions:

1. what does integration mean to you?
2. what does the Govt mean when they say muslims should integrate more
3. how can we as muslims integrat emore into society
4. do we need to integrate? why? what will it achieve?
5. what are the limits of integrating? to what extent does one integrate?
6. Does 'not integrating' have anything to do with extremism and terrorism?

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
I am thinking or writing an article on this ...

pls feel to free to answer the following questions:

1. what does integration mean to you?
2. what does the Govt mean when they say muslims should integrate more
3. how can we as muslims integrat emore into society
4. do we need to integrate? why? what will it achieve?

1) Speaking the language of the country, working hard and paying taxes to help the country grow, getting along with the neighbours and people in general, not committing crime, being a positive and actice role model to others. Having an openmind to other religions, races etc, helping others in need such as giving charity.

2) That we should let our women dress like theirs, should go out pubbing and clubbing, dress like them, look like them e.g mini skirts, short tops etc. Support them in their wars such as Iraq and Afghanistan, join their army and police force. Not be so serious into our religion and 'live a bit' as they do, adopt secular ideas, leave the hijab and beard at home, root out terrorists within our midst, lose most of our identity. Not have Islamic schools or less, vote more.

3/4) Learn their language i know alot of people who have lived here for about 20 to 30 years and still cant speak English good, thats just embarrassing.
Help root out people who have been mislead about waging war on Britain coz they feel its their duty as a muslim, two wrongs dont make a right. We need to educate some people who think like this that its not the way forward.
Put our Imam's through a proper education system with proper wages. Our Imam's and teachers need to speak English to get the message through to the youngsters, how many times have i been in masjid when 99% of the time i dont know what the guy is talking about.
Have more young Imam's and teachers that are in touch with Islam and British society who can see the world from both angles, this will only come from young imams who have gone through the British system.
We as Muslims need to get the message accross to non muslims that we are not all bearded fanatics that are trigger happy we need to involve the non muslims more with what we do so they can build a relationship with us and feel comfortable with what we do, we are too reserved.
We need to stop saying that all non muslims will go to hell, i mean come on no wonder most of em cant stand us and think were against them.
Its up to Allah and Allah alone on who goes to hell or paradise and we cannot say that all non muslims will go to hell because they probably wont, we need to be more open and inviting and understand and except what they have to say even if we dont believe in it.

5) We need to integrate aslong as we dont go against the teachings of Islam. Such as not drinking, fornicating freely etc.

6) yes it does. many people who hate the west will be more likely to be a terrorist or extreme in their views.

Islam is the Key to paradise but without practice it won't open the gates.

Quote:
What does integration mean to you?

Well for a start not being spat on. (not happened tpo me incidentally...)

Quote:
What does government mean?

Do what they say, not as they do.

Quote:
How can we integrate more?

Go down the pub, have a pint.

Quote:
Do we need to integrate?

Not too much more than we are.

Quote:

The limit is assimilation. Assimilation can have many nasty responses.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

who here feels they havent integrated into british society :?

everyone born and raised in uk naturally integrates into society, I feel more british than pakistani , we work and study among britsh people, we support their football teams , we play for their country, we love their food, fish and chips is sold in every pakistani kebab shop, amir khan even carries a british flag, comes out to the british anthem and his dads wears a union jack for a suit how much more integration can you get :?

The fact is british people do not let us integrate and make us feel like outsiders we support the english football however we cant even go to a football match without the risk of being insulted, we cant walk through many areas without the risk of getting beaten up or killed, we cant even wear a beard in public without the risk of being racially targeted, we cant even have freedom of speech without the risk of being arrested.

[b]integration is two ways , why should we only integrate to british culture, why dont the british integrate with our islamic culture and accept us a eqaul british citizens[/b]

are we not as british as a white male just cuz we have brown skin and are muslims :?:

you'r right..........we do a HELL load to integrate, some of us have adopted western lifestyles to such an extent that we have forgotten Islamic ways of life.....scrap that, A LOT have.

you cant ever please the government tho.....and the racists, supremacists etc

you cant expect them to integrate to islamic ways, but they should look at the wider pic and know that we are combining britishness with our religion

some wont be happy till we don the burberry, grip a gyal, and head to the pub 4 a pint

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

I got my own citizenship test.

What do people see you as when walking down thee high street?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
I got my own citizenship test.

What do people see you as when walking down thee high street?

:?:

terrorist?

taxi driver?

shopkeeper?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

exactly.

til you are seen as british, no piece of paper means anything.

So I at times play to the stereotyping. It can be rather fun. But it can be rather stupid. And it unnerves alot of people.

(yes this is childish, but a few years ago I was getting dodgy looks, so with another guy started talking about bus bombings... while on a bus. I am sure a few people lost colour in their cheeks... It was stupid and cruel,. but worth the reaction that time. Course I would not do that now as it could elicit the wrong reaction. Like a bullet or ten to the back of the head.)

lol its too dangerous to do that anymore

altho at airports the temptation does arise, just for a joke....but its no laughing matter when ur parents see u on news and ur in ur orange suit being shipped off....

they makin people do citizenship tests now, can you believe that?

my cousin has to take one, as does my mosques 2nd imam!

apparently tho, most brits dont even know the answer to them questions

history of britain, etc

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

I remember a spoof test in a paper a while back.

'What side of the road do we drive on:

1. left
2. right
3. middle.

Answer: middle coz there are cars parked on both sides, and on motorways/dual carriageways, the left rain is always 'unrepaired'.

eh?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

where do you drive on a road? have you seen anyone driving on the sides? on a motorway everyone is in a middle lane.

Spoof test. Keep that in mind.

Two drums and a cymbal fell off a cliff.

Ba-dum-tsh

"Admin" wrote:
I remember a spoof test in a paper a while back.

'What side of the road do we drive on:

1. left
2. right
3. middle.

Answer: middle coz there are cars parked on both sides, and on motorways/dual carriageways, the left rain is always 'unrepaired'.

:? :? :? :? :? :?

that is illogical, yes they are parked cars on either side, however you are obliged to stay on the left side, you only move out into the middle to avoid the parked cars , you are not meant to drive in the middle of the road,

because if everyone drived in the middle of the road , there be alot of crashes :? and it jus wont work, how are two cars driving in opposit directions gonna pass each other if they both travel in the middle of the road, therefore as a general rule you drive on the left hand side of the road as much as you can without hitting the parked cars

"nAS786" wrote:

that is illogical, yes they are parked cars on either side, however you are obliged to stay on the left side, you only move out into the middle to avoid the parked cars , you are not meant to drive in the middle of the road,

You see it was a spoof. More about what really happens than what the law is.

Besides people do drive down the middle. Then move over to the side when there is an oncoming vehicle.

"Sirus" wrote:
you'r right..........we do a HELL load to integrate, some of us have adopted western lifestyles to such an extent that we have forgotten Islamic ways of life.....scrap that, A LOT have.

you cant ever please the government tho.....and the racists, supremacists etc

you cant expect them to integrate to islamic ways, but they should look at the wider pic and know that we are combining britishness with our religion

some wont be happy till we don the burberry, grip a gyal, and head to the pub 4 a pint

exactly what i meant bro,

i had this discussion im seminar group and even my lecturer sed 'muslims dont do enough to integrate ' and then the rest of the group were like musilms see themselves as muslims and not british, muslims dont see themselves as british , muslims dont wanna be british

:shock:

I was shocked at what i was hearing, but it felt good when i spoke out and proved how stupid there thinking was, like i stated before we have all integrated to british society, yes we do see ourselves as muslims but what has that got to do with being british, we can be british and muslim as well

Islam is our religion and our nationality is British

It is them who have to accept that

We dont need to integrate regardless of where we are. If we're in pakistan or peru, or britain or bangladesh we need to be muslims and that is enough.

If we are good muslims we will contribute to our society and the land we live in - paying taxes, doing social work, improving standard of living, being a respected citizen are our duties as a muslims - we dont need to integrate with any society because our Islaam is the best Biggrin

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
If we are good muslims we will contribute to our society and the land we live in - paying taxes, doing social work, improving standard of living, being a respected citizen are our duties as a muslims - we dont need to integrate with any society because our Islaam is the best Biggrin

That bit is integration.

islamically we must obey the law of the land as long as it doesnt contradict islamic teachings

surely that in itself is proof of how important integration is in islam

Actually IMO physically we have been told to differentiate.

We are not allowed to do things which are associated with another religion...

"Admin" wrote:
Actually IMO physically we have been told to differentiate.

so i take it ur NOT wearing english clothes atm, not speaking/typing/reading english and nor did u eat any english food today?

I ate rice today. Then chappatti's.

I did not wear trackies. And I probably never wear that type ofchav wear.

but none of that is to do with integration.

"Med" wrote:
We dont need to integrate regardless of where we are. If we're in pakistan or peru, or britain or bangladesh we need to be muslims and that is enough.

I totally agree, this is what you call integration, you have spoken for me.

"Purity is half of faith.......Prayer is the light...patience is illumination; and the Quran is an argument for or against you. Everyone starts his day and is a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or bringing about its ruin." Muslim

[color=magenta]i just think so long as my islamic beliefs are nt compromised then evythng else doesnt matter, obviously islam comes first no doubting that but if somehng doesnt contradict islam thn its fine to have, obviously i aint gna be a binge drinker but doesnt mean il gv up my fish n chips neways the curry is britain's number dish, [/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

asalamu alaikum warahmtullhi wabaraktuhu,

Islam is our way of life and we can adapt to any culture within the
boundaries of shariah. i agree with an above comment that many muslims that were immigrants and have lived here for more than 20 years
have not learnt to be able to speak english. Also many live in isolated ghettos where there are large muslim minorities i.e bradford and they have had very limited interaction with non muslims particularly muslim women as they are generally unemployed and spend a lot of time at home.

t.h.choudhary

I find the places many muslims are living as more a sign of services than ghetto lifestyle.

You cannot get halaal food everywhere.

and muslims have a diferent infrastructure to family. Its more than the nuclear unit.

"Admin" wrote:
I find the places many muslims are living as more a sign of services than ghetto lifestyle.

You cannot get halaal food everywhere.

Talking of halal food, me and my cuz were out at that Sufi event in glasgow, and these asian guys had food there and were frying chips etc. It looked kinda dodgy so I asked the guy if it was halal and he smiles and says "inshallah" and then he laughed :? , i was thinkin what the hell, just a simple yes or no please. I walked off

"Angel" wrote:
Talking of halal food, me and my cuz were out at that Sufi event in glasgow, and these asian guys had food there and were frying chips etc. It looked kinda dodgy so I asked the guy if it was halal and he smiles and says "inshallah" and then he laughed :? , i was thinkin what the hell, just a simple yes or no please. I walked off

What's dodgy about frying chips, unless they were also frying sausages in the same oil.

I've also noticed people saying Bismillah when eating haram food, they think that the food will magically be halal if they say Bismillah :roll:

"Angel" wrote:
so I asked the guy if it was halal and he smiles and says "inshallah" and then he laughed :? , i was thinkin what the hell, just a simple yes or no please. I walked off

sounds like he was flirting with you :?

"nAS786" wrote:
"Angel" wrote:
so I asked the guy if it was halal and he smiles and says "inshallah" and then he laughed :? , i was thinkin what the hell, just a simple yes or no please. I walked off

sounds like he was flirting with you :?

thats not flirting, thats jus the guy tryna be funny

coz hes thinkin, of course its halaal....so he tries to be funny

shudda slapped him Biggrin

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ