Innocence

Salaam

Today in the school I was teaching I had to teach a class of 7year olds the differences between girls and boys.

My teaching was being assessed so I had to make sure that the children “thoroughly understood the concept” then in the end I had to answer their questions…

I had the utmost respect for the parents who had written into the school and requested that their child does not sit in this lesson…but I quickly realised that their parents efforts were in vain because as soon as the children returned to the classes, their peers quickly filled them in with what they missed….and obviously their version of the lesson was incredibly exaggerated and totally incorrect…

Today just reconfirmed to me, why I don’t ever want to teach in a public school…I hate the thought of being tied down by the National Curriculum, especially since I don’t agree with a lot of it…

I was in primary school only 10/11 years ago and I don’t remember being taught such things until year 6 (age 10-11)…its crazy the changes that have been introduced in the National Curriculum in just ten years.

I also don’t remember being involved in so much singing and dancing when I was in primary/infants school…yeah, we sang songs in assembly most mornings but they were clean, kiddy songs…..these days every school has singing/dancing a major part of their curriculum. And it’s not even the “kiddy” songs….its MTV stuff.

Schools are also big on introducing “multiculturalism” in the classroom….but not every thing from other cultures is good….for instance, many schools teach kids how to dance to African/Caribbean or bollywood music....and this type of dancing is not exactly very decent…

I’m not generalising. I’m registered with an agency…this is basically supply work which means that I’m often sent to different schools all over London. I’m also studying my PGCE at the moment and my Uni also sends me to different schools on a regular basis….and based on what I’ve seen in all the schools that I have been sent on (except private faith schools)…schools have seriously morally degenerated…

Innocence in children is such a beautiful thing….I used to ask my baby sister her opinion on things a LOT just a few years ago-her honesty was refreshing….but now aged 8 she’s learnt how to “butter” her sisters up…

As the first born in my entire extended family I was sheltered a lot as a child so I never acted “older than my age”…I don’t like the fact that my baby sister is exposed via cousin, older siblings etc…if I had my way, I wouldn’t even let her hang out so much in our room…

Anyways, the national curriculum is depressing….I’m not a fan of home schooling for various reasons, I’m of the opinion that children should attend faith schools…and they don’t necessarily have to be Muslim Faith schools…

What’s your view of the National Curriculum and what type of schooling would you prefer for your children?

Wasalaam

What did you say about the difference between boys and girls? Smile

[size=10]I feel I'm gonna move on back down south
you know where the water tastes like cherry wine[/size]

I let the kids do all the talking...

I can truthfully say, I didnt actually state outloud any difference. I did help with spellings though... :oops:

You let the kids do the talking?

I don't think the difference between boys and girls needs to be on the curriculum.

A lot of mature things are on the National Curriculum all in the hope of lowering teen pregnancies.

Even though I believe they're making the situation worse..

"MuslimSister" wrote:
A lot of mature things are on the National Curriculum all in the hope of lowering teen pregnancies.

i think its awful, but the thing is, its not to lower teenage pregnancies, soem people tell me that the government are actually trying to increase them puttign these thoughts in the minds of everyone subconsciously... they want white brits to be a growing race and muslim kids to go loopy :roll:

smile and be happy!!!

"madiha" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:

i think its awful, but the thing is, its not to lower teenage pregnancies, soem people tell me that the government are actually trying to increase them puttign these thoughts in the minds of everyone subconsciously... they want white brits to be a growing race and muslim kids to go loopy :roll:

Yeah and when that happens the Mole people will take over the world.

Back in BLACK

[color=magenta]i hate the way how younger children are losing the innocence in their dress sense, you see six year old girls with skimpy tops n short skirts sickos out there can take advantage also i was in Adams (kids clothes shop) n loads of clothes were so not innocent[/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

That reminds me some shops are selling thongs which is suitable for primary school girls.
And that stupid programme called Bratz is not helping either.

they used to teach that stuff to us in year 7....cant believe its that early now :?

i remember science lessons, all the boys would act immature and make funny noises, and everyone turned up to lessons where we had to watch a video :roll:

my lil bro's islamic school skipped that section of biology and said they would do it in year 10 or 11.....problem is, its a very tabooed topic at home, and the only place your going to learn properly (and not from ur mates!) is at school

and regarding clothes........society has lost its morals, its got to the point that if you try telling someone the importance of covering so as to avoid glares and unwanted attention, you are considered loopy and outdated
:roll:

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

bratz is a doll

what programme u on about?

i remember these lessons in high school-the guys used to act like dogs :roll:

i agree with sirus though-its better that they are taught it-but not until age 15-16

i think 7 year olds should be taught this because children are already asking questions much younger then that!

i think innocence does not mean we have to keep children ignorant, for me no matter what our children know they are still innocent and like angels and as adults its our duty to guide and provide the correct answers no matter how we feel about the subject

it is surely better for them to be wised up then to really lose their innocence through ignorance

I dont think this needs to be taught atleast not in the schools.

Girls can learn about it from their mothers and boys - well they can just learn it. Dirol

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

i havnt got a clue where this should be taught, be it at home or at school

but it needs teaching properly, and preferably not in state schools! they do a crap job

maybe home is the best way, it avoids them from learning from friends who tell you all kinds of daft stuff, but the problem is....its issues that parents wont even discuss with you until you get married :roll:

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
bratz is a doll

what programme u on about?

It's an animated cartoon like programme which comes on citv (channel 3)....am I the only one here who watches citv.

"Sirus" wrote:
i havnt got a clue where this should be taught, be it at home or at school

but it needs teaching properly, and preferably not in state schools! they do a crap job

maybe home is the best way, it avoids them from learning from friends who tell you all kinds of daft stuff, but the problem is....its issues that parents wont even discuss with you until you get married :roll:

I prefer to be taught at school then at home.....I can't imagine my parents teaching me all these stuff.

its worse at school tho

u get immature lads who make funny noises, its the talking point of the playground, people make up funny stuff, let imaginations and fantasies run wild

all at a young, immature and premature age........worst thing is, parents like mine, never knew about these lessons

if there was a way in which both could teach it to kids at the same time

but what do they care now anyway, they teach kids its a-ok to be a batty boy!

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"laila" wrote:
i think 7 year olds should be taught this because children are already asking questions much younger then that!
isn't that worrying in itself?

btw welcome back seema, missed you!

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

[color=magenta]i agree certain stuff need to be taught but sometimes they do cross the line i went an all girls skool n i remember ?[/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

who'd wnat their parents to be teaching them such stuff

what u on Siris :roll:

um, guys? i think there's a level of hayaa we should be maintaining here and its kinda been overstepped... :?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"laila" wrote:

i think innocence does not mean we have to keep children ignorant, for me no matter what our children know they are still innocent and like angels and as adults its our duty to guide and provide the correct answers no matter how we feel about the subject

it is surely better for them to be wised up then to really lose their innocence through ignorance

Innocence is a beautiful thing found in kids Seems. Yeah, kids ask questions and I don't see problem with answering their questions (without giving away too much information)....but "teaching" this subject removes their sense of shame.

It’s unbelievable how explicit and detailed some of these videos are which are shown to 7year olds in schools...its stuff that'd make married couples blush. :?

Another thing that bothers me is the influence of MTV...its disturbing watching 6/7year olds dancing and singing to songs such as "Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me"....they don't really understand much of what they're saying, but they love singing/dancing to such songs...and schools actively encourage their interests by regularly putting on talent shows or by playing “The X factor” in assembly…all in the hope of "improving self confidence".

Muslim Sister,

I agree, there is little aspiration to high culture and genuine wisdom. Teachers are glib and naff, too, I wouldn't want to spend much time in those depressing staff rooms.

If you are the great teacher for whom no amount of effort to educate is too much and who seeks to spare pain and trauma and to teach openness and make school an extremely positive experience for each and every pupil no matter how difficult that sometimes is, then I take my hat off to you. You are possibly a first.

Teaching is my passion, the main reason why I wanted to become a teacher is so that I could positively influence young minds and shape lives for the better....

Thats why the idea of being responsible for making children lose their shame at a young age bugs me a LOT.....what do you mean by "teaching openness"?

By teaching openness I mean being on hand, avoiding petty punishments and isolation and rewarding difficult honesty by quickly moving on, and also ensuring that students are not isolated from one another.

I think a lot of the time when teachers fail to understand a pupil they allow a secretive culture to develop rather than address things appropriately as they are happening. I saw this many times with troubled students (myself included) who were either ignored or harassed effectively into isolating themselves. Many people are like this, failing to see that where they are fed up they are either being fussy and stifling or else giving up and being repeatedly, sometimes stubbornly negligent, and the effect is profound.

I'm sure you are a good teacher, you are patient, and I am just on about a bee in my bonnet.

"MuslimSister" wrote:

Another thing that bothers me is the influence of MTV...its disturbing watching 6/7year olds dancing and singing to songs such as "Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me"...

[color=magenta]
i knw exactly what u mean cuz when i was like 6 or 7 they made us dance to the spice girls all i knew was it just another song but obviously now im older i remember the song lyrics for way before n after actually realising wht the song was abt it makes me feel quite disgusted that we were made to listen to such trash[/color]

"Exquisite" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:

Another thing that bothers me is the influence of MTV...its disturbing watching 6/7year olds dancing and singing to songs such as "Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me"...

[color=magenta]
i knw exactly what u mean cuz when i was like 6 or 7 they made us dance to the spice girls all i knew was it just another song but obviously now im older i remember the song lyrics for way before n after actually realising wht the song was abt it makes me feel quite disgusted that we were made to listen to such trash[/color]

hahahahahahhaahhahahahahahaaaaaaa

OMG...... thats priceless.

Back in BLACK

Basically I moved when I was little and never settled in, never developed good habits around homework and punctuality, was a bubbly show-off in class which sometimes reflected well and sometimes made me look daring and outspoken or rude and sometimes made me look a nerd, but for reasons I never fully understood I was just always getting punished and had to attend different schools. I just get really pissed off thinking about it, because I know I loved learning and thinking and exploring solutions to problems, and my education was a great big mess. The way I remember, it was a profound sense of being misunderstood that had me be, not quite a loner, but certainly an oddity, an exhibitionist and very determined to say my piece, and that becomes a fairly troubled identity. (That isn't the whole of it but it's all you're getting.) Having said that I should be well over it and not coming out with confused remarks like my previous post. :?

Not trying to guilt-trip your sister though! I'm sure she's wonderful.

my sister is great with special needs kids, kids with behaivoural problems and just generally kids with issues

most kids with issues dont blame other for their probelms

that's where u go wrong-i'm sure ur terrible school exp was not entirely due to ur teachers

It wasn't, but I experienced teachers at their worst and I can tell you a) it didn't help and b) I wasn't malicious. But you're right, my problems are my problems.

Still, I assess the educational experience I had and blame or no blame it wasn't very good, so I give feedback. Going along with the suggestion that throughout my childhood I should have been more responsible won't help anyone understand what I went through, whereas explaining what I went through might just raise people's compassion bar that crucial extra bit.

Pages