P-I-G

Salaam

I was listening to a bright Muslim girl read the other day, it was a book about farm animals and when she came to the word ‘pig’ she spelled it out ‘p-i-g’ and told me “Mummy said I’m not allowed to say this word”.

I didn’t argue with her.

An aunty of mine covers her eyes whenever she sees pigs on the telly.

I was told about a person who would freak out whenever the little cartoon piglet came on Winnie the Pooh and would run off to do wudu again.

Another kid I know never eats the “pig” in the animal crackers biscuit.

A while back I read in the papers that novelty pig calendars, toys, porcelain figures, and even a tissue box featuring Winnie the Pooh and Piglet was banned from a council office in case they offended Muslim Staff.

Eating pork is forbidden in Islam and the pig is considered unclean.

Alcohol is also forbidden, so are animals not slaughtered the halaal way and dogs are disliked as pets.

So how come Muslims don’t show extreme hatred and disgust when it comes to mentioning the names of the above? How come they don’t spell out “a-l-c-o-h-o-l” whenever they come across it in their reading?

And if mentioning the name of the pig was forbidden in Islam then why is it mentioned in the most pure and blessed book in the world-the Qur’an?

I find the behavior mentioned above interesting and amusing.

Any thoughts?

Wasalaam

looool. I think it's absurd behaviour. Even as a kid I recall some of my closest friends saying p-i-g when we went on agricultural visits to farms and nature reserves. Even then I thght why are they spelling the word out, it's not as if saying the word "pig" will contaminate their tongues.

Yes the animal is considered impure, yes it's not fit for muslims to consume. But like it or not it's still God's creation, so how can saying the word Pig, or even looking at one be sinful? I don't know who started this but I'd like to meet the twit!

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Salaam

I was listening to a bright Muslim girl read the other day, it was a book about farm animals and when she came to the word ‘pig’ she spelled it out ‘p-i-g’ and told me “Mummy said I’m not allowed to say this word”.

I didn’t argue with her.

An aunty of mine covers her eyes whenever she sees pigs on the telly.

I was told about a person who would freak out whenever the little cartoon piglet came on Winnie the Pooh and would run off to do wudu again.

Another kid I know never eats the “pig” in the animal crackers biscuit.

A while back I read in the papers that novelty pig calendars, toys, porcelain figures, and even a tissue box featuring Winnie the Pooh and Piglet was banned from a council office in case they offended Muslim Staff.

Eating pork is forbidden in Islam and the pig is considered unclean.

Alcohol is also forbidden, so are animals not slaughtered the halaal way and dogs are disliked as pets.

So how come Muslims don’t show extreme hatred and disgust when it comes to mentioning the names of the above? How come they don’t spell out “a-l-c-o-h-o-l” whenever they come across it in their reading?

And if mentioning the name of the pig was forbidden in Islam then why is it mentioned in the most pure and blessed book in the world-the Qur’an?

I find the behavior mentioned above interesting and amusing.

Any thoughts?

Wasalaam

Thats wat happens in ma family but like if
sumone callz sum1 a pig then apparently their prayer aint accepted for forty days o sumfin,

is that tru?

Learn To Love The People Who Are Willing To Love You At Present. Forget The People In The Past & Thank Them For Hurting You, Which Lead You To Love The People You Have Right Now..

i don't think that's true. Prayer isn't accepted for 40 days if you consume haram i.e alcohol, non halal meat knowingly. Unknowingly the case maybe different. Some scholars say this isn't true, but there's hadith supporting this view. Obviously saying the word pig isn't the same as eating a pig Lol But it's not nice to call anyone a pig, or even a dog, goat, pigeon etc etc :roll:

But usury for example can also mean prayers aren't accepted but no number of days is specified for the punishment. The 40 days may have something to do with purifying the body? I really don't know someone else might be able to expand I'm seriously tired

this topic reminds me of my childhood...

my mosque teacher once hit me twice on my hand cos a girl told over me for telling the story about the three little pigs, he told me its a disgusting word and to rinse my mouth out...(respect to the teacher)....

lol i find it funny that people have an issue with saying the word pig ,but somewhere deep down i kinda understand...i had to explain to my own students that it aint no sin to say the word pig.

nowt wrong with saying "pig"

who here doesnt accuse other of acting or eating like a pig?

"pig out" means to eat too much

'PIG'... is not a sinful word.

Piggy is just a word, and i suppose sin is when you actually do something. There4 saying 'Pig' aint a sin. But for some cr@zy reason some of us were told its a bad word to use by our mothers when we were kids. So we were only allowed to spell it.

The pig is an unclean animal, so we shouldnt really touch it let alone eat it (ew). I was on an english farm once (dont ask me what i was doing there) and they had pigs and they released 2 of them (now as i recall they were pretty big... but that might hav been bcoz i was younger then) and the half chased me back inside.

Back in BLACK

looool. I've been chased by them aswell. Well on my duke of edinburghs expedition, we often had to walk through farms. This one field we had to pass had a group of strange loooking pigs in it. They had patches of black on them like cows. And lots of littel piglets in tow. I thght great them pigs are gona eat us, all they ever want is food lol. Well we had no choice we all made a dash for it, course the pigs all chased us right over the fence. Ah memories Lol

I told you the story about the bull right? That's a classic looool.

must be a paki thing

i was always told never to say it too.......but then wen i grew up hearing other people say it, i kind of realised. however ive never called any1 a pig nor would i, it is a disgusting animal

and we always switch channels when a pig comes on! become accustomed to it i suppose, but i dont like lookin at em anyway

whats the story about the bull yash?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

i often refer to people as pigs

but only when commenting on their eating habits

I refer to people as pigs when they snore....oh wait.....that's me Lol