Alcohol And You

Salaam

The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) has cursed ten people in connection with wine: the wine-presser, the one who has it pressed, the one who drinks it, the one who conveys it, the one to whom it is conveyed, the one who serves it, the one who sells it, the one who benefits from the price paid for it, the one who buys it, and the one for whom it is bought.

How strict are you when it comes to alcohol? I’m sure most of us have never touched the stuff…however, how strict are you when it comes to avoiding all things relating to it?

A few weeks ago I was eating in a restaurant with a friend of mine, I had no idea that the restaurant I was eating in served alcohol because unlike most restaurants in Wimslow Rd Manchester, the restaurants in most parts of East London do not serve alcohol….my friend kicked up a fuss cos her coke was served in a beer glass, which made me wonder about this issue…..yeah, I know the glass was washed and most prob did not have even a drop of alcohol in it….but Muslims are supposed to keep away from all things associated with alcohol aren’t we?

This same mate of mine often starts on Muslims who sell/serve alcohol in their shops.

Asian’s a famous for owning the most corner shops…and it’s sad that many of these corner shops serve alcohol.

I don’t know what it is with alcohol…I know a sin is a sin, but for some reason alcohol consumption has always disgusted me the most.

If you were invited to a party/get together with work etc and you knew that alcohol would be served….would you attend?

If there was a meeting organised in a Pub… would you attend?

Would you have an issue with being in a room where a bunch of people are drinking?

Would you refuse to attend a wedding if you knew alcohol would be served?

OR would you refuse to not fly internationally ever (except for Saudi airlines or PIA)? Because plenty of people drink all around you on those flights...

Share your thoughts..

Wasalaam

"MuslimSister" wrote:

If you were invited to a party/get together with work etc and you knew that alcohol would be served….would you attend?

Hell no! Been invited b4 didnt attend

"MuslimSister" wrote:

Would you have an issue with being in a room where a bunch of people are drinking?

Not so much if I chose to be there eg pool room, football night. These r the ppl that normally drink "normally" I have found

"MuslimSister" wrote:

Depends whose wedding eg relatives/close friends but my close fam woulldnt do it so im ok there.

"MuslimSister" wrote:

OR would you refuse to not fly internationally ever (except for Saudi airlines or PIA)? Because plenty of people drink all around you on those flights...

Most common places we go to are pak and saudi! I have been to a different country but didnt notice any trouble on flight if they were serving it so no prob.

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

Most places i go to play pool or snooker sell alcohol. But, with these places, they are large open rooms, so the smell duznt spread so much and only a few people are drinkin near the pool tables.

I would never drink out of a glass which has had alcohol in it.

Reminds me of a time when we had a lads night out, cousins n uncles etc. We went to a restaurant in Newcastle, a Muslim owned place, N i demanded a can n refused to drink out of a glass cuz Alcohol had been in em. I eventually had to run across the road to a shop to get a can of drink cuz the restuarant dint hav none, n wudnt get one for me, I made sure no tip was left.

Ya Digg Lol

Besides that, Alcohol jus smells very bad, you can smell it when you walk past a pub, its horrid. A family member bought a restaurant bout 2 years ago, n he sells alcohol in it, infact, half of the restaurant is a dam pub. When he was thinkin of buyin it, I asked him whether he'd sell alcohol, he said he would, n I told him the hadith n found references from the Quran etc. N after by 10- 15 minute long talk, he said, "u cant make money unless u sel alcohol".

Just left it there Ya Digg Dirol

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

Quote:

When i was working I didn't go to any work do's coz of this very reason, so no I wouldn't attend.

Quote:
If there was a meeting organised in a Pub… would you attend?

No

Quote:

Yes. I wouldn't be there in the first place.

Quote:

Yes i'd refuse. If it was a close mate i'd go over to their house instead before the wedding and give them a gift, show i care. Close friends wouldn't be offended by non attendance.

Quote:

I don't know about travel issues. On a lot of trains ppl can order drinks aswell. But if that's the train you need to catch are you gona refuse it? To be honest i'd catch the train. There are plenty of seats and carriages, i'd just sit away from ppl drinking and smoking. The same goes for flights. It's not like coz i'm muslim i'm gona just go to saudi arabia for example is it?

I wouldn't eat in a restaurant that has a license to sell alcohol, muslim or not. I'd feel like i'm compromising my beliefs.

First year as a student away from home i was in a house full of strangers. Non muslims. I never thght about the alcohol issue never came into my head, i wasn't really practising much then. I was stuck for housing and the uni term was about to start i didn't have much choice. After i moved in i realised the girls drank. They said they'd keep the stuff away from me. But i couldn't really say you can't drink in this house at all. Afterall they were paying rent too, it was their home just as much as mine. In the end i wouldn't sit in the living room. Perhaps I came across as unsociable, but that was their drinking ground, i never felt comfy there.

After a year i i returned home started commuting. The alcohol issue was one factor but there were other issues, but that's a different story.

never i think its absolutely sick. but do u know what makes me even more sick... the fact that theres a lot more brit muslims that can avoid it then there are muslims in bangladesh and other muslim countries.

i find out my deshi cousin has drunk before and i just couldnt beelive it. it doesnt even seem to be that big deal to him. i dnt think people understand the seriousness on how big a sin drinking is or they just ignore it. i just find it shocking and dnt understand how and why mulsims would want to drink. Bangladeshis have gone mad, they are getting too into the western culture, they think us brit muslims are doing it so why shouldnt they...
i feel proud of being a brit muslim and being able to keep away from such atrocious acts compared to muslims living in islamic countries.
everybody drinks in turkey as well...

smile and be happy!!!

oh Turkey...yeah i'm totally shocked about that My brother went there for his mates wedding. He said he was shocked to see alcohol at the wedding. Coz it was a muslim do he assumed the brides side wouldn't have alcohol. But they were offering it to my brother like it was no big deal. Laughing at him coz he didn't take a swig? :?

The imam doing the nikah didn't seem to flinch,begs the question what sort of imam he was? Sitting on tables decked with wine?

Apparently this trend is quite the norm in Turkey, most muslims drink. Those muslims who don't drink are classed as ultra orthodox or extreme Lol :roll:

As for Bangladesh, india, Pakistan they have ceased to shock me. It's no secret that they have access to everything and more that westeners have within their grasp. Latest salons, clubs, high class drugs, women, and of course drink. It's just something our elders like to hide. They just feed us the nostalgic idylic stories of the homeland.

As much as i'd like to think british muslims are outstanding figures in society let's be honest they can be just as bad as those back home.

true.

something I wrote elsewhere:

"Admin" wrote:
I get the impression 95% of pakistani guys my age smoke weed. 90% club. 85% drink alcohol.

But that may just be where I work...

It is pretty shocking.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

[color=indigo]another issue is Muslim owned restaurants serving alcohols, brick lane is known for its restaurants also majority are Muslim/Bengali owned and outta of that quite alot sell alcohol, so disgraceful but now some dont sell alcohol in their restaurant they tell customers "to bring ur own" ud thnk cause they're Muslim owned ul be able to eat in an alcohol free environment but no u cant escape it, its cause the get the big money from alcohol but what they dont realise is that they losing customers too, that is why im not to fond of restaurant i prefer mums home cook delicious food[/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

Salam

Exquisite. I love nothing better than wine.

That is why we are all on this Earth: Get drunk out of our heads.

Forever, its the Inn thing.

Perhaps this belongs in Sufism topic, where many a tavern lovers hang out.

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:

Perhaps this belongs in Sufism topic

Yes, your post is highly inappropriate in this thread.

Here, we’re discussing the forbidden sort of wine – not the wine of love.

"Exquisite" wrote:

brick lane is known for its restaurants also majority are Muslim/Bengali owned and outta of that quite alot sell alcohol,

I ate in Brick lane for the first time a few weeks ago...I was disgusted by fact that, that restuarant served alcohol...had I known I would have never have eaten there. None of the restaurants in my area serve alcohol.

That was the same resturant where my friend kicked up a fuss cos of the glass they served her coke in...

"MuslimSister" wrote:
your post is highly inappropriate in this thread

Yes. My mistake. I got carried away.

"Admin" wrote:
true.

"Admin" wrote:
I get the impression 95% of pakistani guys my age smoke weed. 90% club. 85% drink alcohol.

It is pretty shocking.

what kind of statistic are they?

based on a few work mates of yours? :roll:

i personally dont know any muslim guy/girl who drinks-

but muslims do serve alcohol though :roll:

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:
true.

"Admin" wrote:

It is pretty shocking.

what kind of statistic are they?

based on a few work mates of yours? :roll:

i personally dont know any muslim guy/girl who drinks-

sadly i know many (pakistani) muslim girls and guys who drink or have drank alcohol in the past (one of them was born and grew up in pakistan, she started practising Islam when she came to the UK to study).

although i think admin's statistics are a bit high, it is widespread among the Muslim youth.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

The points made are very valid. Unfortunately as a community we have become more focussed on attaining worldly assets rather than adhering to the sharia.

Where I live there is a large Bangladeshi community. Nearly all of them have a restaurant and are living very comfortable lives. The majority of them all serve alcohol despite many of them being from practising households.

It isn't just with alcohol there loads of Mobile phone shops offerring outrageous cashback deals. Yet a few months down the line there'll be an article in the paper showing how theyv'e been sentenced for fraud. The same applies with 'accident management' co's who are setting up crashes and claiming thousands of insurance companies.

We've lost our morals in pursuit of wealth and status.

Here is a point that has always worried me, and maybe some of you lot too

If Muslims have no problem selling Alcohol in Restaurants, do you really think they care if the meat is from Halal sources too?

"Fully Licenced Halal Restaurant"

The best one though, is at the back of Manchester University,

"Abdul's Off License"

Now thats a contradiction in terms,

Wasalam

I’ve heard of these stories echoed many times, everyone has given their input, with the rise of bollywood and the ever increasing popularity of bhangra music is only going to increase the amount of “Asian” clubbers thus equals more consumption of alcohol.

My question by using realistic means how can we combat this drinking culture amongst Muslim?

"madiha" wrote:

No they don't.

No more do most Turks, Pakistanis and Afghanis live off Heroin money.

"latifah" wrote:
"madiha" wrote:

No they don't.

Asalaam Alaikum,

A brother has confirmed this on another forum, I posted the same topic on the mpac forum.

I remember when I was very young (about 5/6) and dads Muslim work colleagues came over…they were slightly tipsy and mum forbade me from going near them.

Even today I would never, ever sit amongst people who were drunk or in a place that served alcohol…my only exception would be if I was flying somewhere.

If anything, I think it’s incredibly disrespectful to drink in front of Muslims.

"yashmaki" wrote:

As for Bangladesh, india, Pakistan they have ceased to shock me. It's no secret that they have access to everything and more that westeners have within their grasp. Latest salons, clubs, high class drugs, women, and of course drink. It's just something our elders like to hide. They just feed us the nostalgic idylic stories of the homeland.

As much as i'd like to think british muslims are outstanding figures in society let's be honest they can be just as bad as those back home.

yeah i know and its very true, but i still think us brit muslims are better for we at least know the seriousness of the sin and not ignore it like some people....

smile and be happy!!!

"(*_Khamzat" wrote:
"latifah" wrote:
"madiha" wrote:

No they don't.

Asalaam Alaikum,

A brother has confirmed this on another forum, I posted the same topic on the mpac forum.

That guy is right. I've been there a few times and it is not a mini America as some people think.

It’s unfair to say most Turks drink Alcohol.

If you go to the tourist areas of Turkiye then yes you will find many bars and so on, but most of the country is not like that.

Just because they are ruled by a secular puppet regime, desperate to be European, does not mean that the majority of the people are drunkards.

"kyah_baat_heh!!" wrote:
Here is a point that has always worried me, and maybe some of you lot too

If Muslims have no problem selling Alcohol in Restaurants, do you really think they care if the meat is from Halal sources too?

Wasalam

No and it seems as if they don't care. I know too many bengalis who own restaurants and serve alcohol. My older brothers used to work in them when they were younger. They've told me the meat isn't halal. The owners don't give a damn coz most of the customers are non muslim, non halal meat is cheaper so it makes sense for them to go for that.

So if the restaurant serves alcohol but with a halal sign, i'd caution you not to eat there. It's 99% likely the meat is haram aswell. Besides if they have a licence to serve drink should you really be there anyways?

I find it funny when people go clubbing and smoke etc but they say "I don't drink!". U might as well. Or the people who drink but refuse a ham sandwhich. Strange logic.

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

I don’t find it weird. In fact it’s a good thing that one does go out of his/her way to avoid sins…even if he/she partakes in other sins.

We’re all weak when it comes to certain things and stronger when it comes to other things..

It’s like saying “since you don’t wake up for Fajr you may as well not read the rest of your prayers”…

We will be rewarded for every good deed we have done and punished for every sin…so the more sins we can avoid the better.

you can see the irony and stupidity in it tho

i dont do one thing coz its haraam, but i do do drugs

unless of course the person admits to it being wrong, and knows they shouldt do

but a lot of weed smokers/credit card scam people that i know, plus many other dodgy blatantly haraam things-doing people i know, wont touch alcohol or eat pork.......but justify sokeing weed, pimping, fraud etc

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Sirus" wrote:

Loads of people smoke but they would never touch drugs. Loads of people are in a haraam relationship but may have a beard or wear a hijaab.

No one's perfect....I'm pretty sure even you and I and most people here dont do everything they're supposed to.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:

Loads of people smoke but they would never touch drugs. Loads of people are in a haraam relationship but may have a beard or wear a hijaab.

No one's perfect....I'm pretty sure even you and I and most people here do everything they're supposed to.

very true.....but theres a difference if we acknowledge what we are diong is wrong.......if we justify it, then its ironic and stupid

which people do.....its ok to do drugs, ok to have a girlfriend, ok to do fraud....but we shouldnt drink, eat pork etc - them kind of people do exist, and are plentiful

which was what i was trying to say, and ur point was also valid - i agree

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Isn't it ironic when people start to judge?

Oh it aint?

every sin is diferent. Its not poandora's box where if we do onw, cwe may aswell do them all. We should avoid as many sins as possible, but we will always be fallible.

Its this self righteous attitude why I mostly stay away from religious types. Noone has goven us the right to judge. We should leave that in the hands of Allah. And He (swt) will judge us all fairly without prejudice.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I wrote a message for Latifa about drinking. It was deleted by someone.

Dont know who or why removed my reply to Latifa ?

I deleted it. I try not to allow baseless accusations and over generalisation to the extent of condemning a whole people.

Pages